Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
or you could use usb3, the 3gbps standard that doesn't have patent fees out the dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Blackula69 posted:

i don't know what that is but are you suggesting USB is secure

out of USB, Firewire, and Thunderbolt, USB devices are the ones that can't initiate DMA

so yes, it is more secure in that regard, you actually have to do tedious poo poo like exploit the host USB stack as opposed to just rifling through system memory for passwords and credit card numbers

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
USB is an amazingly good standard for something that was co-designed by Microsoft and Intel

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Series DD Funding posted:

comparing microsoft to dec

*unsheathes his katana*

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nah they just concluded anybody who still uses IE in this day and age outside of a corporate environment is beyond help anyway

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pinterest Mom posted:

(and keep in mind that cap gains are taxed at half the rate regular income is.)

Pinterest Mom posted:

Pinterest Mom posted:

Pinterest Mom posted:

Pinterest Mom posted:

this is still the most infuriating loving thing

"your debt to society is less if you literally and 100% explicitly pocket the proceeds of other peoples' labour than it would be if you actually earned that income"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
gently caress it's like if you could go to mcdonalds and there was an option on the menu where you can go in the kitchen and prep your own big mac and get abused just like a real mcds employee and yet the price is twice as expensive and also this is the only option on the menu if you weren't fortunate enough to emerge into the world from the correct vagina because Just World Theory asdflhsligifd

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
at this point i'm surprised that they haven't just thrown in the towel and shipped a WebKit based browser with Windows 10, deprecating IE

but on balance it's kind of a good thing. WebKit running on 90% of all browsers isn't a significantly better situation than Trident running on 90% of browsers. it's still a situation where the de-facto specification is 400,000 lines of C++ as opposed to an actual spec (see also that one time where some people tried to make SQLite part of HTML 5)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
why do unedited transcripts of public figures make them sound loving borderline illiterate

not illiterate, nonverbal? what do you call it when somebody seems strained whenever they are required to communicate in a manner more sophisticated than grunting and flinging poo (but enough about my posting)

yeah ok real impromptu speech has its fair share of false starts and umms and aahs but you'd think the great and the good can string a loving sentence together on the first try at least some of the time.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
no because if credit card companies are anything to go by it's because they always choose the state with the shittiest consumer protections to officially "do business" in and gently caress over everybody in the other 49 states from there

much like how any time labour protection laws get passed manufacturers go "yeah we're just going to go ahead and opt out of that law by employing workers in a country where that law isn't a thing and then selling the finished product where it is"

death to capitalism etc

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Amethyst posted:

please don't rehabilitate steve ballmer into a respectable human being post microsoft

the man is a stupid grotesque clown and always will be

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

kalstrams posted:

How many Microsoft employees does it actually take to change a lightbulb?
  • One dev to spend five minutes implementing ChangeLightBulbWindowHandleEx.
  • One program manager to write the specification.
  • One localization expert to review the specification for localizability issues.
  • One usability expert to review the specification for accessibility and usability issues.
  • At least one dev, tester and PM to brainstorm security vulnerabilities.
  • One PM to add the security model to the specification.
  • One tester to write the test plan.
  • One test lead to update the test schedule.
  • One tester to write the test cases and add them to the nightly automation.
  • Three or four testers to participate in an ad hoc bug bash.
  • One technical writer to write the documentation.
  • One technical reviewer to proofread the documentation.
  • One copy editor to proofread the documentation.
  • One documentation manager to integrate the new documentation into the existing body of text, update tables of contents, indexes, etc.
  • Twenty-five translators to translate the documentation and error messages into all the languages supported by Windows.The managers for the translators live in Ireland (European languages) and Japan (Asian languages), which are both severely time-shifted from Redmond, so dealing with them can be a fairly complex logistical problem.
  • A team of senior managers to coordinate all these people, write the cheques, and justify the costs to their Vice President.

uuh tbh that all sounds fairly reasonable though

whereas the ballpit releases a half-finished beta and then gets bored of it and pulls the plug after six months

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
down with tested and documented software that can be used by people speaking different languages!!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
iphone 4s was the last good iphone
and whatever version of ios predated the gaudy frosted glass poo poo was the last version of ios

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
where would the equivalent of /etc/fstab live on a floppy-based system you massive human being?????????????//

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

LastInLine posted:

who the gently caress doesnt autohide the dock put it on the side and then just never use it ever? if i could turn off the dock i would

my nigga have you tried gnome 3

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
minidiscs looked cool as gently caress tho

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i hope netflix completely locks in all the content deals and becomes the only game in town

as a publicly traded corporation sitting on an enormous portfolio of exclusivity agreements i'm sure they will never become an abusive monopoly because ~*the free market*~

also netflix is run by shitheads who also think stack ranking is A Good Idea

whatever astroturf propaganda company they employ is loving good at their job if they this adored by the internet. perhaps ppl just hate comcast that much.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
gently caress region coding

when a company fires americans and buys labour from some place really cheap and awful it's Our Fiduciary Duty To Our Shareholders but when ppl try to buy 45c DVDs from Bangladesh well whoa there all of a sudden it's not quite so funny when the loving plebs do it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

content producers have gotten slightly smarter about this

R5 DVDs are now significantly crappier products than what gets released in R1, so there's less temptation to get a grey market import.

my unskippable ads :(

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm surprised nobody's managed to dethrone exchange yet, that's the only thing keeping microsoft from being in really deep poo poo at this point.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

the nt kernel itself seems nice

everything the kernel interacts with however...

eeeh i wouldn't go that far, it's overdesigned as gently caress

there's a Kernel, an Executive, an Object Manager, an I/O Manager...

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
rs232 is still very much a thing, and that's no bad thing either. Having to do your own framing is kind of a pain though.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
look man kanji's about the last thing they have going for them to keep all the loving weeabos out and even that's not doing such a good job these days

if i were teh king of japan i'd invent a whole nother set of moon runes just to gently caress w/ white ppl

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

that's not really the kind of thing i'm into but thanks for the suggestion

oh

text me anyway

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
win7 pro gonna get pirated til the end of time

wonder if they'll push out some poisoned 7 update to wincourage sales of windows 10

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

shadow puppet of a posted:

is there a record of what he does listen to? dusty old poo poo like the eagles or mark knopfler or is he trying to be cutting edge with an xbox music account full of demi lovato and ariana grande joints?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-vwPuiILBc

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if you maintained a codebase that had to interface with millions of maliciously awful programmers who relied on every tiny little undocumented aspect of it, saw a quick fix you could apply, and the risk/reward calculus for applying the cleanup is "i get fired" vs "absolutely nothing" which option would you pick?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm the 4chan app

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cocoa Crispies posted:

"Hello there Dr. Pizza, what will your first sequence of the day be?"

Can I get a printout of Ballmer sweating?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there is an Iain M Banks novel where the badguy protagonists hijack like a 50km long seagoing ship and it crashes into a continent sized glacier or something and it takes them like 15 minutes to figure out what's in the process of happening and how truly hosed they are and that kinda seems like what is happening watching microsoft eat itself over the course of the past 5-10 years

also shortly after that one of the dudes jumps off the edge of something rly tall and has some sort of anti-gravity jetpack that doesn't engage because lol you fuckin idiot you're on a rotating space station not a gravity well and then some other guy gets hella mad and sets off a backpack nuke that he's carrying around, idk how that fits in to this metaphor but i'm sure it can be made to

anybody happen to know which book this is? it sounds like weird fever dream poo poo so maybe i just imagined that i read this book idk.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
taking options away is the reason gnome sux

they've got better about it lately tho

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

pram posted:

that would imply it was good at a certain point

gnome 2 was fine

literally all "linux on the desktop" had to do to become a thing was just to do nothing user-visible at that point circa 2009, 2010 or so and the developers of gnome hosed it up and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory

i'm not saying linux would have been anywhere near a commanding presence on the desktop but, you know, maybe 10% userbase, like roughly the same size as macs, not its current vanishingly-small splintered-to-hell market share.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If you care about what a task manager is then surely you would install process explorer asap anyway

Are they going to cripple sysinternals to wincourage u to upgrade to windows 10 the best and most uncompromising version of windows ever?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Depends how prevalent signed malware drivers are on Windows I suppose.

It's a sensible security measure, defense-in-depth and all that.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDW9b_ejfI

e: ok maybe not i just enjoy this song/video

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 25, 2015

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Raspberry Pi is cheaper than that and useful-ish, but as an embedded target, not a standalone computer.

also everything about Arduino is just lol. Pay $50 for a 50 cent MCU with some pin headers added (and one of FTDI's comically overpriced USB-to-serial chips)

reminder that FTDI is the company that got so loving butthurt about competitors cutting into their margins that they published malware drivers that caused criminal property damage to people daring to use drop-in replacement chips (no, a USB vendor ID is not a trademark, gently caress off)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
they named their voice input system after a naked blue anime titty lady from one of their videogames

they named their voice input system after a naked blue anime titty lady from one of their videogames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
they named the central loving selling point of their new operating system after a naked blue anime titty lady from one of their videogames

gosh i don't know am i the only person who finds that a little weird?

can i at least ask ...it... for a hat wobble or a flarhgunnstow

• Locked thread