Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Fabricated posted:

I don't really like EliteDesks but the dumb schools (I work in Academia and my group does everything from CJ poo poo up to supercomputers) that bought them before we picked up their support thankfully have not had too many problems

Optiplexes are perfectly fine past the god-loving-awful old clamshell ones which we have forcefully depreciated out of the schools that don't have/like spending money and foisted them on their poor grad students

The HP workstations seem to be fine; still prefer precisions though

Apple and HP to an extent really can't hold a candle to Dell support* though

turnaround is ridiculously quick and bullshit free

*if you're paying whatever ridiculous amount I can't recall for it like we are
I had a similar class in 2001 and we played with premiere and lightwave and it was pretty fun

the teacher had replaced all of the puck mouses though thank god

[rage] A ticket came in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

qirex posted:

wow, mini microsoft comment thread getting way turbo racist

e: check this:

actually i'm pretty glad that the one racist commenter is just getting shouted down by everybody else. warms me heart

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

also holy poo poo why would you fire a shitton of testers. people who actually are good at and enjoy testing are pretty hard to come by.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

i mean i'm a tiny baby shithead who's only been working for a year, but what i've observed is:

- good testers aren't made, they seem to be born
- their skill at testing is 0% correlated with testing experience: our most detailed and skilled tester has an art degree and works part time so she can make sculptures
- since people who are good at testing often get underlying mechanics, they tend to get poached by dev

so it all adds up to if you have good testers that stay as testers and do a good job, probably give them raises instead of laying them off! because devs are not testers. they're too emotionally entangled.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Miley Virus posted:

just what i want for my business, funny internet jokes

we are transitioning to slackchat where i work and it is awful for this reason. loving idiot webdevs loading it up with all the reddit bullshit. it promises all this integration with services but our it team is a bunch of assclowns so it'll never happen. it also emails you every message it thinks you missed, and if you're connecting to it thru an xmpp/irc client (because there's no desktop app for linux (lol) and its web interface is dogshit becasue it's a web interface) that's all of them. luckily i have a spam button

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Condiv posted:

slack looks p cool, looks like it's hosted remotely though
flowdock's hosted remotely, we're trying to minimize that
hip chat is immediately disqualified for rage faces

we're not supposed to be using US services cause of NSA, but everyone wants to use skype and google docs.

if you disqualify things for rage faces I got bad news about slack

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I just cut leg holes in old prada handbags

same but way way downscale

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

Money better spent on Google Apps.

i think you'll find that google apps is loving trash, op, even if for certain uses its good points (collaboration) slightly outweigh its bad points (capabilities, ui, bugs)

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

my stepdads beer posted:

lol he calls firing one guy and getting someone else to do his job a total of 1.5 jobs. and you're 'less talented' if you said 'wow this is bullshit' and quit.

i think the key part they're missing is "and then hire a bunch more people until you have the same headcount you used to so people aren't sandbagging tests", but for some reason that's the part most companies miss. must be an accident oops

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

kalstrams posted:

more like virginot line

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Shaggar posted:

normal calculators don't parse equations, they compute the last operation when you hit the next one as if you hit equals.

so doing 1 + 1 x 2 is the equivalent of pressing 1+1 = x 2

yah but if it's gonna work that way it needs to update the display to show the intermediary result so you know what you're actually doing

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

vaginas aren't circular

maybe in person they are? i wouldn't know

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Snapchat A Titty posted:

pretty sure they stopped using them because some exec realized how lovely it looked. Obviously both the one who decided they should use them and the one who decided they shouldn't got their bonuses. It's the way of the bubble.

hm yase fox news, up there with uber in terms of riding the bubble

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

The Leck posted:

someone added a bunch of sa emojis to our work slack. i noticed when i saw :nsa: as an option and figured it wasn't likely to have come from anywhere else.

i added :eyepop: to ours because it is a very good emotion to convey

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

quote:

Powerful* text editors built on the web stack cannot rely on the OS text caret and have to provide their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

windows may be fine but a piece of software being windows only is a huge alarm bell that it's a pile of poo poo with a terrible ui made by morons forced on people who only want to escape and be happy but unfortunately this giant menu driven pile of trash only runs on Windows!

• Locked thread