Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we are going to get rid of our imacs because osx is so incredibly problematic for doing anything other than browsing websites very slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
active directory is ldap

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol. nice Linux u got there.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just because I like java doesn't mean I like bad software written in java.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
write a script that runs at boot that reads the gpos applied to the machine and then sets the equivalent Linux settings.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
people like macs because they think it makes them look better, not because they actually do work on them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

i'm surprised there isn't a gpo or whatever to require every exe or dll on a windows install to have a valid code signature in order to load

or the fact that ms doesn't even sign their own binaries (maybe they do in windows 8? lol windows 8 though like i'd actually use that shitpile)

sure that wouldn't help you with buffer overflows or vbscript poo poo but jfc it'd be a start

applocker does this I think. but yeah theres load of old, unsigned Microsoft stuff so it would be interesting to see what breaks.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can, but it would be nicer if everything Microsoft related came signed on its own.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its a bug: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2726399

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you install windows on a mac its almost usable. but academics are all about wasting grant money and macs are the best way to do that.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

nice Linux nerds

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shaggar posted:

nice Linux nerds

lol. failfox and chrome cause there isn't a single working browser on Linux

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

osx had really spotty ad support until 10.7, which basically broke all the hacks you used to have to do to get osx to work on a domain (without it making GBS threads itself every few weeks). now it basically works and you can even do "fancy" poo poo like folder redirection to windows servers reliably

but admins get mad because they're used to just basing all their set-it-and-forget-it deployment stuff on GPOs and having to put in a third party product to manage that on the mac side is just a step too far. it's just plain ol' platform lock in, but everyone is used to it because ms has been the only platform since the early 2000s

apple should be writing their own gpo processor and release their own management templates for osx specific stuff. theres no reason not to and they've finally realized that wrt abandoning garbage 3rd party network share protocols in favor of the smb standard.

not that gpos even really matter as much as osx just not working at all. we don't use osx management stuff at all because 99% of our macs are used as remote dumb terminals and they can barely manage that. garbage audio drivers, garbage osx versions of windows software, garbage networking, garbage everything. cant wait to get rid of them and go to windows so the users can actually do their work.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah that's the other thing. they break random things every point release so you never ever upgrade unless theres a feature you want and you've gone through a month of regression testing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nobody wants to do serious work on linux

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
from 10.5.6 to 10.6.5 or something like that dns resolution for .local domains was totally busted and their support response was "lol yeah, its broken."

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

because microsoft never breaks things with updates. h/o whats this.. The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

that never actually happens without the admin loving something up. every time someone says "BWAHHHHH windows update hosed me!" its someone trying to hide their incompetence.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my boss did and it broke his mac so he had to flatten and reinstall

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it happens in osx, not windows

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they don't give anyone any notice before breaking stuff

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Microsoft doesn't break things. the admin breaks things and then blames the last update which didn't affect anything related to what the admin broke.

apple doesn't announce they will break dns for a year and then they do it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

in my experience that's generally been either a lovely system image or AD replication is seriously hosed up

99% of the time its because time got out of sync because some idiot got clever with the domain time config.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they still offer single purchase licenses which loving sucks cause I want vs 2013 and sql 2014 but we didn't get the subscription cause we're cheap as gently caress

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
office 365 is so much better for small businesses that its not even worth thinking about.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"hey let me manage my own exchange and office installs" - some retard idiot fucker.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I cant wait till our ceo gives up his fight against the cloud so we can move all this poo poo to 365 and azure

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
email isn't that important.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

we have a client that does some gov't related stuff, we're stuck looking for third party hosted exchange for them because microsoft won't guarantee data storage in canada, only north america.

lol like that's gonna stop us from stealing it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you should tattle on them to the Canadian gov.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
surely you can do it anonymously

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you inform on them then suddenly they need to find a new solution and that means more consulting dollars for you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

yeah they already tried this and it was a disaster because they were so afraid that small businesses would buy them instead of SBS they were completely hobbled then had features removed through updates, etc.

home server was literally windows server tho so it was weird as hell. like at that point merging sbs and home server would have made more sense.

tbh a local home cloud and a local small business cloud could really be the same product just marketed to both audiences differently. the home cloud provides whats essentially a local cache of the users private cloud thru their Microsoft account and local devices can use it for media storage instead of using their own local storage and whatever other services you'd want for an always on device. like maybe they work out some poo poo w/ the cable providers and it also does dvr functionality. now any device can watch tv from the local clod/dvr w/out the need for stuff like cable card and u can make sure the stream is secure end to end and all that. it would be easy.

then for small business its basically the same device but it handles local document/email caching from the small business's office 365 account and a local cache for shared files that is backed up/synced to the cloud. you eat the lunch of 3 or so different small business service providers in a way that makes it easy for them to transition into larger windows networks if they want later on. basically treat computers on a small business network like the loosely managed, byod systems they are. those guys weren't using gpos in SBS, but if you give them some basic checkboxes that are ticked by default like "keep the computers on my network up to date. Make sure everyone on my network has antivirus" you can take care of their real life needs without adding a load of management headache that they wont bother with.

Then if they expand they could install an AD domain that could pickup information from the tinyclod and use it to create accounts for all the comps and then take over management. the cloud thing could still manage backup and file storage, but now management is done thru proper ad. I mean really you could even do cloud based AD instead and have the tinycloud be a relay.

The SBS cloud system is office 365 and simple management that can later be upgraded to full hosted AD w/ hosted servers or local servers/comps all in the domain managed thru the hosted environment and replicated down to local cloud sync servers. If you move the management out of the device and into the cloud then you can use the same device for consumer and business and alter its functionality by subscription.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it should have been part of it but they hosed it all up w/ GAMEZ ONLY! and other dumb crap

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I printed something today!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the problem is that they know some ideas are absolutely good, but they tie it in with some other hosed up poo poo to ruin it.

Windows Store: good idea. Tying the windows store to windows 8 and the ui everyone hates: bad idea.
Account Based Steam style DRM for xbox: good idea. Releasing only the negative information about your DRM at your launch event: bad idea.
Using xbox to own the living room: good idea. Trying to own the living room by making xbox gamerz only: bad idea.
Making the xbox a pc: good idea. Making the xbox a pc and then breaking certain parts to make it a hosed up, lovely, and more expensive pc: bad idea.
Making a laptop that doesn't suck: good idea. Making a laptop/tablet hybrid: bad idea.

and on and on and on

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fabricated posted:

I think regardless of user feedback they felt pot committed to the Start Screen/Metro look and any negative feedback would only be used to "adjust" it; no amount of criticism from beta users was going to get them to scrap it because it was the only major "vision" they seemed to have for win8.

I mean, if you remove it you have uh...Win7 with some minor ui tweaks/bug fixes

which is literally all anyone really wanted but how do you market THAT with half a billion dollars?

Win8: Slightly better!

Win8: Not changed enough to scare you!

Win8: Still runs office! :ins:

Windows8: faster and comes on your new pc. its also cheaper because we didn't waste any money on marketing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

holy poo poo even native win8 doesn't have proper multitouch and smooth scrolling? really?? the platform made specifically for touch and then crammed into the desktop doesn't natively support touch?

it does for touch screens but not for touchpads apparently. the screen multitouch works better than any apple device i've ever used even if full screen multitouch is pointless.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also vector graphics are the primary source of icons and symbols and stuff in xaml

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yeah, the problem with recommending a stack like that is even with proper documentation forget about ever being able to get someone else to admin your special snowflake implementation. it's a perfect model for a million cornercases based on what build of everything you managed to deploy initially. and who handles support? that's like four different "vendors" at least.

i guess if it's your job to maintain it you're set for life, but it's not something you could really recommend to a client. the license savings would be offset by the amount you'd have to pay to get someone who could manage and maintain it

seriously, those TCO studies MS does are bullshit, but this actually is a pretty big factor

the tco studies aren't even approaching bullshit. they're probably understated. you can hire a monkey of the street to administer windows. you need someone who understands how hosed up everything is in Linux and has the desire to deal with that poo poo if you want to use Linux. its just not worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sniep posted:

im just saying, evaluate what you think is a 'thin client'

i know HP and all are totally sold on this one take on it but sometimes thin clients require a lot of horsepower too, and they are still 100% 'cloud' driven with no function beside as a client

the thinner they get, the less intensive the tasks involved

it's a delineation between 'client machines' in purpose, and user desktops. if the users actually have real need for an actual desktop, then they should get one, and forcing a client machine on them doesnt make sense. if it's a rote job that is simply to interact with x, be it internet access or just getting to an old AS/400, , 'thin clients' or full client machines are desirable.

to tldr the poo poo, if the users get insulted by using a client machine then its probably the wrong choice

thin clients were always junk for everything but the most specific use cases. now that desktops are so insanely cheap theres no reason to ever get a thin client over a desktop even if you use that desktop like a thin client for some users.

• Locked thread