Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that choice was made when imacs were the only all in one unit. our remote users are nurses and they are the least technically savvy people on the planet. even when they go to login theres just a big green button that launches a script that launches all the applications they need because they don't understand what a vpn or a remote desktop or a softphone are.

but now that windows all in ones are a thing we're probably gonna be moving back to windows which is gonna fix so many problems caused by osx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also the rdp client works fine? idk what problems u have w/ it but we have people using it for 8-10 hours at a time w/out issues.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we don't use a gateway and ssl auth works identically to the way it does on windows. shared resources are a hipaa violation.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hp used to sell thin clients running xp embedded. we bought a bunch. they were really bad. like they weren't even real cpus, they're like VIA or transmeta or something equally comedic.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the touchscreen on this new win 8 all in one works better than any touch screen I've ever used but we will absolutely disable it if we send it out to the nurses because they will try to use it and complain that its hard to use even though we've told them not to use it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I went over to hp to see what their current thin client pricing is.

for $309 you can get a thin client with 2gb of ram, a comedy option via processor, and no os.
for $439 you get the same thing, but with windows embedded.
for $419 you can get a desktop with 2gb of ram, a real cpu, and windows 8 pro w/ downgrade rights to 7 (and a hdd, but who cares)

who buys thin clients? who is falling for that scam?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

being exiled to do some weird skunkworks poo poo because they're too chickenshit to actually fire you doesn't sounds like a horrible fate to be honest

depends on if they're still paying you and if they expect results

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

we use lync and it's ok but we don't use any of the audio/video features, just chat and screen sharing

we've been piloting zoom because it works on ipads and macs but it's p bad

there are companies irl who still do not use corporate im or use dumb crap like Skype. its unbelievable.

we dont use lync, but is there no lync app for ios?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there ar eprobably plenty of orgs who allow external access.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
this is the first step to them legalizing windows piracy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

that's the north korean one

also is that just a modified OS X?

yes its Linux

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it used to be the mx revolution but now its this turd that sucks called the performance mx. I just want an updated mx revolution! why have you abandoned me Logitech!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sniep posted:

what do they not make mx518s anymore?

they do but its called something else now. someone linked it above. its in their gaudy ~*GaMeR*~ line

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im an seriously considering buying overpriced mx revolutions on ebay at this point.

or maybe I could get away w/ just getting new batteries...

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I ordered some replacement batteries and also some replacement mouse feet so I will let you all know how my mouse repairs go

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Current Mouse Repair Progress: The replacement mouse feet I ordered arrived way early and work great. THe batteries should be here next week. I was also having a problem with the wheel clutch behaving erratically so I opened up the mouse and one of the wires to the solenoid that controls the clutch was way loose and infact broke off when I examined it further! a quick re-solder and it was back in place and working great again.

Logitech if you had just made a new mouse I would have bought that instead of doing this so thanks a lot.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah I probably got gouged pretty bad on these mouse feet but its worth it to fix this mouse that I love.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mx revolution is the best. it has all the buttons and wheels I need to get the job done right

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

on the contrary, they let you use

yeah apple is totally hosed up. if you buy a mac not only do you have to go out and get a copy of windows you also have to get a mouse and keyboard because they don't come w/ working ones by default.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
aw yeah. got the batteries in. fixed both of my mx revolutions and now they are back in the own zone.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

homo punching bag posted:

"I used to watch that show Dinosaurs all the time when I was a kid, so when I found out the baby grew up and wanted to buy a basketball team I considered the offer."

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
works fine for me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

according to shaggar a simple xaml is all you need

it would be one application package with different views/viewmodels for each input/display type. you create a list of known display/input combos and then the developer picks the ones they want and the package system enforces the requirement for them the write the separate uis for each combo they selected.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
then when the dev submits it and it goes thru qa the package system creates a package for each device type that only contains that device type's ui

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Metrication posted:

lol they added multiple desktops 7 years after osx did

multiple desktops are a lovely Linux windowing system thing. its never been a need on windows (but there was a powertoy that added it in xp)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
actually it doesn't require deep integration, they just wanted to sell it as a separate product which means a separate sku for wmc and for windows that comes w/ wmc. they also had to create skus for the 3rd world that didn't come with any windows media products.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
cant wait to get my hands on windows 10

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

idk, the first generation kinects weren't compatible with pcs. that's why there was a special windows version. i wouldn't be surprised if the xbone kinects were the same way.

the windows Kinect was supposedly better hardware and higher precision or something cause it was mainly intended for research projects. who knows if that was true

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
virtual desktops are a retarded Linux thing and a sign of bad ui

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

shaggar, defend this pos

this thing is cool and I cant wait to get it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fib posted:

With expose and multiple desktops it sounds like Windows 10 is finally catching up with the finest user experience available on the desktop: Gnome 3

yeah that poo poo is lame and im going to post about it on the insider forums so they remove it. no Linux stuff in windows, thank you.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

AtomD posted:

im going to launch a campaign on the insider forums to make WPF a univeral app target interface

for windows store yes definitely.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I can't believe that they bothered updating cmd.exe when they could just make it redirect to powershell

powershell is trash and I hope they get rid of it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

minivanmegafun posted:

taking shaggar's bait for some reason.

okay, so what should be used instead? powershell is indeed trash, but it's better than diarrhea (cmd.exe) or slightly firm poop (vbs)

shells are a false need. powershell exists because people wanted a shell for no reason so Microsoft made one. then no one used it because it was pointless so Microsoft forced people to start using it by removing features from UIs and sticking them in powershell.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

eschaton posted:

yeah, how dare cjs want to script and automate their work instead if RDing into each Windows "server" and click around the UI to get anything done

actually, I think I actually agree with Shaggar: they shouldn't have done powershell

they should've left servers to the grownup operating systems
the correct way to do things is specify the state you want and let the system do the work.

cjs are too stupid to properly write automation and scripting languages are too poor to provide the tools to do it properly.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

raruler posted:

longhorn was their "the filesystem is a database, and the database is a filesystem!"

see also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinFS

spotlight basically did all that poo poo without having to invent a new filesystem

spotlight is just search. its not at all similar.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ios isn't even competitive w/ android anymore

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol that Toronto goal song is awful

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shaggar posted:

lol that Toronto goal song is awful

lol wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blackula69 posted:

lol yeah our current legal system is totally equipped to deal with systemic discrimination right

idk what you'd propose otherwise cause most of it isn't provable

• Locked thread