Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but then of course you run into the problem of something like typing uninstall and getting 20 uninstallers when what you really want is add/remove programs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah there are clearly meta terms associated with certain apps and settings

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
more that when you type uninstall you get add or remove programs and apps and features despite uninstall not being in the name of either. there must be some terms added to the index for those apps

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that doesn't make any sense

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
powershell is the least bad shell but its still bad because it has posix syntax taint instead of just being csharp script

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows 10 is good and I'm super excited for the fall update

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
powershell suffers from posix syntax taint when it could have just been c# script

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

eschaton posted:

"invented" powershell

by which they mean took the syntax of sh and married it to the cross-process object model AppleScript introduced in the early 1990s

so about par for their idea of "invention"

the applescript equivalent is vbscript.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

honestly, with the proper historical context, com and vb and vbscript were really not that bad.

i dare say they were, in fact, actually fairly good.

now, com automation was an absolute horrorshow, and it was probably the main reason why c++ com component development was the stuff of nightmares, but the funny thing is it was totally unnecessary; real vb didn't give a gently caress and could just consume a lot of com stuff directly. it's only vbscript that insisted that everything it interact with be an IDispatch, VARIANT, BSTR, or SAFEARRAY.

but hey, ms didn't want the built-in vbscript to cannibalize vb. or something.

yeah com is really great but com automation sucks huge rear end. I liked tef's proposal for a standards based WebCOM

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fiedler posted:

Execution policy is good. It weeds out the people who shouldn't be allowed to run scripts.

yeah. if you cant be assed to set it right and sign your scripts you shouldn't be using it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

eschaton posted:

no it really isn't

a systemwide object model applications can hook into and extend is something PowerShell got from AppleScript

VBScript is a scripting language embedded in an application

incorrect. vbscript is a vb dialect that's run by the windows script host and uses win32/com which provides more and better system object access than applescript since apple doesn't have anything as good as com.

you are thinking of vba which is primarily used in office, but still has support for win32/com so you're wrong there too.

powershell is bastardized csharp and is totally unrelated to something like applescript or vbscript. it is a .net clr language that comes with a bunch of libraries written in csharp and powershell. that you can access win32/com is a result of the existing .net framework libs and not unique to powershell

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or maybe you're thinking of com automation which is language agnostic and thus just as lovely in vbscript as it is in c#

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

powershell is bad because it quickly turns into an unmaintainable mess of untested scripts that are hard to parse, hard to debug, and hard to understand. it’s good for small scripts, but so’s bash. if you’re defining more than one function in a powershell script you should probably ask yourself why you’re not just writing something in c#. write a cmdlet wrapper for it if you simply must be able to run it from powershell interactively or through a ps1 file.

yeah scripting languages and shells suck.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sometimes it excludes executable names from indexing, but I think that's mostly a security thing so exes in your downloads folder aren't executed by accident.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
fonts used to be in the kernel and they finally got around to moving them out to user mode for security reasons. the font host should be running as its own user mode font user to keep it separate from everything. idk why its using cpu.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it was one of the major updates iirc but idk which one. its possible its not entirely migrated out of the kernel tho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no. Sinclair is a different bad dead "computer" manufacturer.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
GeForce experience was pretty good until they started tracking everything you do.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
your best option is to buy NVidia.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
go into the MAXX AUDIO settings and turn off the sound leveling,

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i don't think I've seen a driver come thru windows update in a while. are u sure you didn't get updated by dell supportassist?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i have support assist installed so i can get driver and bios updates w/out having to go to their site.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
which xps is that? I'm posting from my 9550 and it doesn't have any audio driver updates

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
whats the usb thing?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

at random intervals the usb has been unplugged sound will sound even if no usb devices are connected

if you have any bt devices connected (like a phone) it will make the noise for that disconnecting and connecting

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it specifically displays "usb device has been disconnected incorrectly" message

weird. I have a 9550 and a 9560 and haven't had that problem. if its under warranty get it replaced

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lol no there's nothing wrong with it. Dell/realtek just pushed garbage software through windows update.

if you really, really want to try to recreate the problem, try listening on the 9560 through the TB16 dock. My guess is this maxxaudio bullshit has an unintended impact on the usb audio out in that dock

I was talking about the usb thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

wmp is good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I just use it for video stuff so it doesn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Quick! Post while you can before it breaks again!

• Locked thread