Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

TCP sounds like some kind of party drug making the rounds, instead of a middling video-game that was forgotten after a week.

it's either that or "CP" and, uh, well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

devs designing gameplay physics around fixed frame intervals instead of however high your FPS can get seems to have been more art than science back in that generation, although maybe there were CPU limitations that i don't know about

still loving funny seeing necromorph corpses briefly getting possessed by the spirit of gmod

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Agent Escalus posted:

Now deleted; what was it?

there was supposedly some internal capcom documents detailing the original planned RE6.5 that would've involved leon and sherry hopping around europe, using RE6's core gameplay mechanics, before it was scrapped and RE7 took its place

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

I think the Martyr novel should be turned into a first person game.

In viewing playthroughs of the DS1 remake, a thought occurs to me- by my understanding the player community generally hates jumpscares; however, DS1 is loaded with jumpscares, including any number of dumb trivial ones. As far as I know these jumpscares don't get the same level of hate. Why is that? Is it because they're in a third person setting, so the player is less embodied?

in the original DS1, at least, it was mostly because the game let you know immediately that it's gonna be a big stupid space haunted house with a lot of loud noises and screechy violin music. it's a game whose whole point is to get your blood pumping and not much else beyond that, so i'm less offended when it pulls out dumb startles compared to other horror games that are trying to build an atmosphere of tension and dread

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

al-azad posted:

I kind of want to see if it's possible to hack the game to pull the camera back farther, I want to know how much Dead Space "cheats" because sometimes a necromorph is like loving Solid Snake and the second one of their tentacles clips into the camera then they start screaming like banshees.

my guess is that their AI is rigged such that most of the enemies only do their vocals when they're within the camera's FOV for X+ seconds, but i'm alright with that for the combination of the jump-in-your-chair surprise and that it gives the necromorphs a sinister pack intelligence that makes them just that little bit scarier

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bogart posted:

Anime game Resident Evil 4

i feel like we've progressed enough as a society that ashley's 100% going to have modesty shorts on this time around

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

al-azad posted:

Based on the last gameplay video she's wearing what appears to be like a skirt in the front and shorts in the rear, I don't know what those are called, with solid leggings.

"modesty shorts" in this context are a skirt with attached shorts underneath, so you put 'em on like a pair of pants and get the benefits of both without the discomfort of overlapping waistbands

i've seen cutaway skirts with similarly attached shorts but that's a kind of punk aesthetic that feels outside of ashley's fashion wheelhouse

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mysterious frankie posted:

This is so weird. I'm in chapter 9 and have never heard Isaac bitch like a dad when he runs out of ammo or stomps a bunch on a corpse.

i believe the ammo swearing only occurs if you run out of all ammo for every weapon, and the stomp swearing requires something like 5-6+ simultaneous stomps to trigger

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the DS2 stomp is so goddamn good between isaac rearing up like a pro wrestler and the fact that every necromorph you give the boot sounds like you're stepping on a big ol' pile of grapes

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

one thing that playing DSR hammered home for me is how unimaginative the art design of TCP is, which i think is a significant factor in it failing to create a proper atmosphere for horror. the ishimura is a dark, smoke-filled nightmare submarine, filigreed with organic ribbing and colored in earth tones that make the whole ship seem properly dead, even before the actual spectre of death visited it. it's just a goddamn loving creepy place to be

TCP's entire aesthetic presentation is just this generic-rear end space prison with a lot of anonymous concrete corridors, miscellaneous piping sticking out of the walls, and industrial meatgrinders that manage to make even less sense than the RCPD offices having locks themed after playing card suites. it looks like every sci-fi environment you've ever seen in your life, but with volumetric lighting and occasional totally underwhelming flesh moss which you've also likely seen in sci-fi before. i really wish they'd leaned more into the fact that callisto is a horrible ice planet and made the biting cold the primary terror throughout all its sections, because that could easily punch up an otherwise mediocre setting for me

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TCP feels like the kind of good first effort you used to expect out of brand new studios that were still finding their footing and wanted to put something that was kind of generically safe to get their feet wet and have their name out there, except it costs $70 to buy and $160 million to make

maybe striking distance will survive it but it's gonna be a financial bath no matter how you slice it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i imagine the core idea of random, malevolent caprice entering and destroying the life of someone who otherwise didn't do anything to deserve it has a particularly firm grip on the national psyche after, well, y'know

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hel posted:

I'm the opposite, not because I don't like the ideas and stuff, but because everyone seems to think it's a good idea to force a headache inducing visual filter on top. They doesn't even make it look like a PSX game.

actually replicating the look of a PSX game is a real challenge, and a ton of indie horror devs think that a pixelation filter and texture warping is all you need

something like signalis or no one lives under the lighthouse gets it just about right, taking advantage of the grainy, eery quality of that era in a way that complements the horror well

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

oh hell yeah, i know what i'm doing after work

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

if you had a gun to your head, would you rather be forced to solve a slide puzzle, or tower of hanoi

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

I somehow manage to solve the sliding tile puzzles but just keep swapping tiles and maybe there's a mathematical reason for it but more often than leaves the puzzle on a state where I can solve it

i've always assumed that you can create sliding tile puzzles in some mathematically optimal way, so that there's a limited number of total moves that can be made given the starting position of the tiles and the open spot available, specifically so that people will eventually find enough traction to get unstuck if they keep spinning their wheels

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Medullah posted:

I mean, to be fair, Mia wasn't exactly a "protagonist" in her section. :) She was kinda working for the bad guys

walter white was a villainous shitheel, but no one would deny that he was the protagonist of breaking bad

a "protagonist" is simply the character who the audience follows and who serves as the driving force behind the story through their decisions; the fact that it's a term generally associated with good people is due to readers largely preferring to follow along and identify with non-assholes

Vermain fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 2, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

if i look even half as good at 40 as SF6 cammy does, i'll be over the loving moon

kinda funny that DSR seems to be one of the few modern titles out there unafraid to give a woman a couple age-appropriate wrinkles

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

uh did we know frictional was putting out a new amnesia game in like a month

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1944430/Amnesia_The_Bunker/

i remember discussing it briefly when they teased the trailer at the game awards, although i believe it got delayed after that point and faded into the shadows for a while

i'm maybe a little suspicious given that amnesia's whole thing that's separated it from mainstream horror titles is its strict adherence to total disempowerment, so giving you guns and still calling it amnesia feels like an odd fit. guess we'll see how they finesse it, though, since i'm a sucker for "trapped underground in nightmare labyrinth" horror

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Disposable Scud posted:

The Day Before is some brazen poo poo.

it's one of the most maddeningly strange smoke-and-mirrors scams i think i've ever seen, especially since it appears to have been solely created as a marketing gimmick for the developers' other titles like propnight

what's especially puzzling about it is that they could, legitimately, just make the game in a year with some thrown-together assets and whatever extra contract work they needed, ensure it's good enough to pass playable muster for 3 hours, and then cash in off the fact that it's the most wishlisted game on steam. you wouldn't even have to maintain support for the game or anything, and while consumers would be wary of ever trusting you directly, you could probably hide behind a shell company and publish whatever you wanted after that point

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's a perfect genre format for low rent indie titles, since you can make use of all of UE5's bells and whistles and smooth out the rough edges via the fisheye lens and a heaping helping of chromatic aberration

with that said, they really gotta ditch that loving jerma-rear end guy they got doing the voice

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

what makes bodycam horror different from first person horror

the bodycam aesthetic is meant to heighten the verisimilitude of the simulation, in the same way that found footage was originally meant to craft a greater sense of authenticity: you "feel" like it's a more real experience because it looks more like a real experience compared to, say, running around as ethan winters with a perfectly still camera and a helpful ammo counter in the corner

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Has there been any released yet? I don't remember anything available now

not that i can recall; this seems to be the first wave as a consequence of UE5 still being relatively new and thus not having had its full capabilities explored yet, as well as the usual lag time for onboarding people to a new engine

Vermain fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 26, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/10007269

Didn't this get good reviews? Coming to Playstation now.

it's a short but fun time. if you haven't touched it, i'd recommend it as the perfect halloween eve game, because it's all (very well constructed) atmosphere with a ridiculously cryptic and barely comprehensible plot that's not worth the effort to dig into, so sit yourself down with some snickers, turn off the lights, and have a good time

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Aw, I don't know about barely comprehensible. There's a storyline there, it's just a little shaky and Lynchy.

it's maddeningly vague in that kind of irritating way, where there's enough cryptic imagery and thematic allusions that you can spin almost any interpretation you want out of whole cloth. it's much more about the atmosphere it's creating than it is about giving you any kind of satisfying answer or emotional payoff, which is fine for such a short experience, but it's good to be forewarned that it's not something like, say, signalis

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

may as well mention if you haven't seen that DSR's 20% off on steam right now, so if you wanted to give it a try without paying top dollar, now's your chance

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

outlast 2 is one of those games that loops back around to being loving hysterical in how it is trying so desperately hard to be dark and edgy in a way that the first game never quite had to grapple with

"guy crashes into the woods and is alternately pursued by members of The Baby Murder Cult and annoyingly paced flashbacks of a catholic priest molestation backstory" is the kind of thing a first year film student would gleefully write, but somehow a whole entire game got made out of it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

there's some early access previews of amnesia: the bunker out, and it looks drat solid as far as an alien: isolation clone goes

it is a bit annoying that it seems to do the thing i hate in indie horror where the text logs you find in the first few hours of the game seem to more-or-less spell out what the big spooky supernatural mystery is, but i don't know what the full runtime will be, so it might be more acceptable for a shorter game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hel posted:

Doesn't Amnesia The Bunker have procedurally generated "bunkers"? It doesn't seem like it would be too long then.

as far as i know, the map itself is fixed, with other undefined elements being randomized (presumably item drops and maybe traps or special events like the rats)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/134292-myhousewad/

check this out. don’t read anything else about it. even if you’ve never played a doom 2 map before, though you really shouldn’t miss this if you have.

allow me to second this recommendation, although i suspect most folks frequenting this thread have poked their nose into it already

if by some miracle you haven't, don't look anything up and just dive right in

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

myhouse is extremely impressive but i feel like you need to have some familiarity with doom wads to fully appreciate it (i do not)

i tapped out of it about halfway through and youtubed the rest because i was constantly getting lost in the same small space

a key point the video makes is that a large part of what's impressive about it is the fact that it plays with doom's mechanics in unexpected ways, so i can see it being a bit befuddingly if you're not used to some of the tricks being used or the basic gameplay logic community .wads follow

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

I'll have to rewatch it, but the last couple of episodes of Darkplace didn't really land for me. I didn't care for the Scottish outbreak episode, and I can't even remember what the other was about.

Overall I loved it though, and I regularly think of random Garth Marenghi quotes that still make me laugh.

the scottish outbreak episode is one that i assume i simply didn't have the cultural context for, much like monty python's science fiction sketch

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

No one had the cultural context for that, it's just a joke that goes on too long

Edit: I mean the Python sketch, christ it goes on so long

one of those rare python sketches where they don't so much lose the plot as they haplessly watch it stage open rebellion

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TheWorldsaStage posted:

So a game I wishlisted that sounded cool came out today, Killer Frequency. Here's the blurb

Was anyone else planning on giving it a go? I know it's not 'Frasier Crane, but with murder', but I'm hopeful for this one.

that's actually a kinda cool idea, depending on how the gameplay works

i'm imagining something where you have to give them advice on where to go and what not to do based on previous clues or kill heatmaps or something similar

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

amnesia: the bunker reviews are coming out and it's looking like a good 'un, although you might wanna wait for a sale if you're on a budget, as the first full playthrough i can find on youtube clocks in a little under 2 hours and 30 minutes

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vermain fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 5, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's fine, my apologies for posting it. please go back to regular programming

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Your rental place was hanging on past the mid 2000s?

a lot of smaller outlets managed to hang on due to a combination of specialty services (recommendations, rare releases, etc.), nostalgia, and renewed interest in analog tech, but covid dealt a killing blow to most of them. one of the last rental places in toronto started the process of shuttering its doors just last week

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

visiting the actual store was always a big part of the selling point. just being able to spend half an hour browsing through the stacks, maybe talking to someone in the isles looking at the same section, half-hearing whatever was playing on the big TV in the middle, and desperately trying to convince yourself not to buy lovely microwave popcorn on the way out was half the fun of rentals, and it's that loss i feel keenly

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pivoting the callisto IP into a cartoony isometric twinstick roguelite shooter is certainly a choice, although it doesn't speak much to their faith in its ongoing marketability as a horror franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

what is with all the pool-related horror games? is pool core an actual thing? am I being trolled by the horror game internet? I mean, I guess it's not that big a leap from the other millennial-centric horror flavors that seem to go in waves (dead malls, boring night jobs turning into horror games, suburban house exploration horror, liminal everything) but this one strikes me as more tongue-in-cheek than the rest, for some reason

the poolrooms were a backrooms-adjacent trend that started picking up steam after kane pixels made the latter popular; i think jared pike's renders were the first big springboard for the idea (the spiral staircase shows up constantly in other poolrooms works), with various kane-inspired poolrooms exploration videos following after that. there's been a few indie titles like anemoiapolis and dreamcore that were early adopters of the aesthetic, but i think it's largely been the viral success of MyHouse.wad and now POOLS that tuned people in to the idea and spawned a whole host of imitators