Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Brovstin posted:

It really seems like the first Fatal Frame would have been a better choice to remake than the second.

Is the FF2 remake really a "remake?" I thought they just went with it because it's universally praised and plays better than the first. Path of least resistence like most ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Someone did make a thread for it a week or two ago but it's already long gone.

Also yeah in RE4 those fun alterations were basically endgame/new game+ only because only the final upgrade for each weapon did something beyond the basics of more damage, higher capacity, etc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Do the two Still Life games and share in my pain. Cookies.

Why would you do this to someone. :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

One of the games on my list is The Path. Pretty sure anything will be a step up from that.

Well have I got a surprise for you!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYwkPko99ps

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

Stubbs is great but feels super unpolished. It was also fatally buggy for me...

Well like it says on the box, "MADE WITH THE HALO ENGINE."

I do love that game though. I have it on XBox but look around for it on PC. Wish there was still a way for people to actually spend money on it but look around.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah I appreciate Evil Within for doing this successfully too. There's a lot of great stuff going on with the lighting in the game in general and lots of moments where I'd turn on the lantern while sneaking and realize there was a deadite standing like right in front of me. Silent Hill 2 and 3 were great with this too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Firstborn posted:

I remember playing Braindead 13 on... Playstation 1? It was one of the first games I had for the system along with Doom, and all my friends were impressed because it was like "playing a cartoon". It was good, but really one of the most frustrating FMV titles to control. You had really, really swingy directions and there was somehow more death than Dragon's Lair.

I've been playing a few horror games lately - Five Nights at Freddy's, Outlast, The Evil Within, Alien: Isolation. I think Outlast is probably at the top of the heap, but like A:I it's so... exhausting to play. I feel fatigued and then I realize I've been holding my breath the whole time with the character.

Amnesia: Dark Descent is good, but I lost interest very early.

There's a fun game for like 1.95 on Steam called "Nosferatu: ??? of Malachi" or some poo poo. It's an old, old school FPS but with a twist - you're some badass fencing guy who gets invited to your cousin's wedding but when you show up at the castle everyone is dead or dying. You get weapons like a sword cane, muskets (in very limited amounts, you can even have multiple ones loaded and switch between the loaded ones firing off a volley), holy water, stakes, and a cross (only works on some of the undead enemies). It's actually kind of badass - the castle is randomized each time you play and there is a real time time limit on when your family members will be killed that pushes you through the game. It's relatively short, but the rogue-like castle and items lead to a lot of fun if you're like me and want to stake the gently caress out of vampires. Please note that when I say "old school" I mean this looks like a Half Life 1 mod or something.

There's another horror game like this one where you also get lots of magical items to use, and specific spells work really well against specific enemies. It's not Undying but very similar to it and Malachi. I remember it was released to zero fanfare because it came out the same week as like Doom 3 or HL2 or some other mega-huge PC title. I thought it was Wrath of Malachi but I remember a big part of the system was that you'd have a gun/blade in one hand and different artifacts to invoke your spells in the other. I know Undying has that very setup but it was definitely not Undying.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Was that in the dlc? I don't really remember gay rape in the LP I watched of Outlast

Yeah the DLC is pretty stupid.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

al-azad posted:

And for a special mention, there's The X-Files: Resist or Serve, a bad Resident Evil clone that came out late on PS2. These games remind me of it because they have that same antiquated control style and clunky action, but I'll give these games a pass because they came out in 2000. If you want to play a decent (well, faithful) X-Files game then play The X-Files Game. Yes, that's the actual title.

I like Resist or Serve a lot more myself just because it's a straight clone of Resident Evil 2 with Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny involved. Couldn't they only afford Mitch Pileggi for the FMV game? Plus the first puzzle of the FMV game is you're brought into your office and have to solve the puzzle of "what is my password for my computer that I just set up."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Clever Spambot posted:

Real talk: as someone who generally hates overly actiony AAA horror games will i enjoy evil within at all?

I like it quite a bit. So far in all the areas where there's a large group of enemies, there's lots of traps around, environmental things to do, etc., you can also stealth kill normal enemies and the gane has a great variety of stuff in each chapter. You can do some cool stuff like instead of throwing a bottle away to distract an enemy you can bean them on them head with it which stuns them and lets you instakill them.

Fire is a big part of the game, people talk about it in more detail but when you're fighting a large group it's less about shooting and more about keeping your cool while figuring out the best way to burn a bunch of them at once with the least resources.

The big flaw of the game for me is that when it comes to the more unique boss type enemies, the can be vague as to whether you're supposed to kill them or flee to the next area.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DOUBLE!

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 21, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

I got to work with Terminal Reality a few years ago, and this was exactly the case. They were super proud of Nocturne, and for good reason. Such a shame it didn't become a series. My dad still plays it from time to time and it scares the poo poo out of him.

Nocturne was so good. I'd have played a whole game where you just use any of the partner charactrers. Molloch, Hayseed, I guess we sorta got Svetlana already via Bloodrayne and so on. I remember what a big deal the game's cloth physics and lighting were at the time.

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Clive Barker's Undying is the loving bomb.

I liked how the third or fourth spell you got was weak as hell but blew up undead stuff instantly.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pretty much, it was amazing at the time though just because it wasn't a flat texture on the model. IIRC Dead or Alive 4 on 360 was the first game where all the clothing is a totally separate model/physical object from the character itself. It's so lame when I think about it now but it really was a THIS IS THE NEXT GEN moment when it cameo out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I was like this with Terminal Reality's Aeon Flux game. It wasn't great but it was basically BloodRayne 3 (and had a way better story/execution than the movie, you even got to die horribly after almost every level in stupid ways like in the original shorts).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

al-azad posted:

Aside from Cosmology of Kyoto, Kuon is the strongest game I played about Japanese mythology. The atmosphere is oppressive, there's no question about it.

You gotra check out Otogi 1 man, we've come a long way since Musya: The Classic Tale of Japanese Horror on the SNES.

They're straight action games, but Sengoku 1 and Samurai Ghost are rad as hell for this too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Also the game mentions it, but doesn't really emphasize how useful matches are. When an enemy runs into a burning body they burn up to. So a good idea is to stun (many different crossbow bolts do this) an enemy and then light him up so you end up instant killing several at once as they all start coming at you.

Also if you throw an object at an enemy's face it will stun them, during which you can actually do a frontal "stealth" attack with the knife.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's true, I remember when SH2 first came out and how much both 1 and 2 stood on their own as incredible games. We'd notice how the dark world stuff was more immediately well done in SH1 but SH2 formed such a great cohesive whole around its main character's personality. I don't totally blame them for going back to the same well since 1 and 2 are two of the best horror games ever made to me. 2 is great because it established a flexibility to the setting that the rest of the series hasn't really run with like it could have. Even the games involving the cult story keep going back to the same characters. SH2 is fantastic with playing with our expectations after playing SH1 but the rest of SH1's lore was lifted directly from Twin Peaks but stuff like the white claudia plant/drug runners, all the other stuff SH1 potentially brings up as to why some people in the town are crazy never got explored in depth later on.

But like you, enough is enough. Downpour has a really strong beginning but it was technically broken to the point of being unplayable on release on PS3 and by the time it was patched up a bit I had lost interest.

I know they said Kojima's new Silent Hill won't be structured exactly like the P.T. demo. On the one hand that's great since P.T. has the Japanese budget visual novel do the same scenario five billion times clicking on every pixel until you happen to do the right combination style of "puzzle" solving. On the other hand some of the strongest moments in the series come from those points where they warp your perspective so I hope they don't discard the idea entirely as I'd love to see what Kojima can do with a straight horror game.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 15, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Like a lot of Konami games at the time it developed a huge following in Europe too (to the point where SH3 launched there first) so I can understand why the western offices in general would want to keep milking it.

The "best" Konami mishandling ever though will always be Castlevania Legends.

See this bland as hell GB game that has Alucard as a major side character in it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKo5_9fQl2E

This was the follow up to Symphony of the Night. :wtc: This is why despite them being mega-dogshit of the highest order Judgement and Lords of Shadow 2 didn't surprise me at all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I really did like how much stuff changed from day to day. That was the only missed opportunity with the Fatal Frame games.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

That's a terrible analogy because even the series at its worst, Homecoming, is still totally playable and is more mediocre and uninspiried than awful. The only terrible entry in the mainline series is the HD Collection.

The only bad "mainline" sonic game is Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I (did part II even come out?). :D

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

One handy thing with her is that fire will stun her for a pretty good amount of time even if it's not an instant kill like on normal enemies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shadowlyger posted:

As for the third game, apparently there's something around his website saying it's 30 years later or something?

You mean it's coming out in 2045? Maybe it's going to be a 40 hour open world game but with all the animation still done via JPEG slide show. :D

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah it's literally something you would have found on newgrounds 10 years ago. Somehow we got to the point where people charge money for this poo poo haha

An auspicious post. The one that started it all, Newgrounds flash game Alien Hominid, was released on the Gamecube for $29.99 exactly ten years ago.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 5, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Well to be fair Alien Hominid was co-created by Newgrounds founder Tom Fulp who can actually make quality stuff. I assume that guy was talking about the Newgrounds content creators who aren't Tom Fulp or Synj.

But for the record, I don't think Five Nights at Freddy's is bad. It's not particularly fun either, but I like the style and concept.

Oh yeah I bought Alien Hominid day one and still play it today. :) Just it weirdly set a precedent in late 2004 despite the publisher (O~3 Entertainment) not really going anywhere. Like the original WarioWare on GBA it ended up being really influential on how gaming is now even if neither were massive hits on a popular level. I remember I was at a developer conference at Parsons not long after its release and basically every single person there had a GBA and was like "Huh...we should make shorter, cheap games, and put them on cell phones if Nintendo/Sony don't want them since they're made for short bursts anyway." It was an incredible event as there was even a guy speaking who was showing off a cell phone game with DLC for extra weapons and stuff in like 2003, like basically the seeds of everything we love and hate about games now got planted in this room.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 9, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The bouncing didn't seem that pronounced when I was playing, I didn't even notice it until after seeing it in that Vine. It's kinda weird, but honestly you won't even be seeing her chest 95% of the time since her arms will be raised over it holding the gun or you'll be facing away.

It's in the original game too but is only really noticeable when Jill immediately starts/stops moving. This gif is just bits of her walking animation starting and stopping so though it does seem more pronounced than in the original. Is it possibly due to the game now being 60FPS or the engine being new? It's probably due to laziness though. In the original it's more pronounced if you use her RE3 costume, they probably just used that one set of animation for both.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 20, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

It's gonna suck when Silent Hills is third-person with lovely combat after how amazing PT was.

Oh man how sick would it be if it actually was first person and a slowburn. I always wished From Software made a straight up horror game. They do such a great job of working horror elements into King's Field, Demon's Souls, Kuon, Otogi, etc. I'd kill to play a straight up first person horror game from them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The first Saw is absolutely a psychological thriller. I've shown it to people who only knew of the series via the sequels, and they've been surprised at how taught and engaging it is. I honestly wish they'd focussed on that side of things, rather than going down the 'Rube Goldberg meets Hellraiser' route they eventually went.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Guess which one is much much easier to write

To their credit, I did read an interview with one of the producers where they said they did wish they hadn't killed Jigsaw so early so that they could have done another movie on par wtih the first one. But then like right after that Saw, uh, 4? Which ever one was the one that opens up with Jigsaw's autopsy happened and did even more $$$ than they expected so that was the end of that.

They made those two Saw video games but both sucked horribly. The first one is a prequel to the first movie, with you playing as Danny Glover's detective character so it had potential but both were just cash ins.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

I've heard that much like the Saw movies, if you just turn your brain off and take it for what it is, an equivalent to a popcorn flick (like Saw,) they can be somewhat entertaining. Full disclosure, never tried playing them.

Nah I played both and they were crap because of constant "Push ___ to walk through here" type stuff, balance beams, etc. Though there is a possible way to die in the Saw II game that is particularly gruesome, though I guess irrelevant in a post MK9 world.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah the HD remakes were horrendous. The PS3 version got a significant patch that fixed many issues but still not as good. SH2 was horrible though there were entire areas with no fog, SH3 had untextured floors in areas. It was serious bullshit too because the screenshots on the back of the boxes showed those areas looking quite nice.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

A really long hallway with procedurally built windows that procedurally designed monsters will randomly jump through.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jsor posted:

A game that will connect to your Facebook and send procedural skeevy messages to all your friends and family.

Finally the unlimited potential for scumbaggery that is gamergate can be tapped for good instead of for evil.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

HellCopter posted:

Is anybody here playing Bloodborne? I think there's an argument to be made that it's a horror game. They really went all-out with the enemy design and there hasn't been a single one that didn't make me think "What the hell is that".

Yeah totally. From Software's adventure games generally start out like typical fantasy fare, but then get more horrific and more out there with the designs and levels the further you explore their worlds. Bloodborne really feels like a Demon's Souls 2 or King's Field 5 though in that it feels like it starts out, thematically, where those games ended. Compare to say Dark Souls 2 which is much more typical to how western fantasy stuff is in games with the mines run by big orc looking guys, the more fan servicey female enemies, all the animal themed enemies and such.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Len posted:

Seriously. I was running around exploring and opening doors and such. I'd run out of souls so why not blindly run around ya know? Well I went through this doorway and the cleric beast just drops down out of nowhere. Fucker looks fantastic. Of course he murdered me. But he looked so cool doing it.

I have to say, all the bosses are incredible in how, uh, murky and ethereal they look? They're not ghosts but just the massive amount of wavering cloth and stuff on them, and how it's difficult to get too good look at them because of how aggressive they get, I love it. :) It's sort of reminiscent of how Gollum looked in the first release of Fellowship of the Ring I guess. I think a big reason for how successful a lot of From's games are as horror products is that the presentation in general doesn't show things off a lot. Cutscenes of bosses coming in tend to be brief, fights are very ferocious and quick to end once you engage enemies, it's cool. Also the way they have that layered scream where you can still hear their human voice is amazing and way cooler than the generic deep growl these types of creatures would typically have.

Also the changes to the combat in Bloodborne are genius, as everyone around you is a human that has become a beast. Yet you yourself only have two ways to successfully engage fight in the game. Like an animal you can either pick up enemies from a group one by one by drawing them away or waiting til they lag behind the others, or you just dive in and go nuts. When you take damage, there's a brief window where you can recover it by hitting the enemies that damaged you. So in a game where everyone talks about going mad and not being infected and not being corrupted and such, the core of the combat is still that you have to stay super focused but, like a cornered animal, go completely nuts and crush everything at all costs if you get surrounded. AND you're rewarded for pulling that off by being healed a lot, it's stunning.

I have to say, also, if you've played the previous games it's definitely more of a horror game just from the fact that you don't really get tons of armor and there's no shields. Coming off playing the past games so much, walking around each of those dark corners without being able to hold a shield up is terrifying in and of itself. They also re-did how the healing items work again, as sort of a merger of the grasses in Demon's Souls and the Estus thing in Dark Souls, with a similar system for your ammunition. It's rare to totally run out of either, but you can be fairly limited per sessions of the game, so you have to make every shot count like in classic survival horror stuff.

Finally, the game has what is basically a King's Field mode. You get some items a little bit in that let you access randomly generated dungeons (like Diablo III it's not tile by tile random but still awesome) and these are quite difficult. They're like old school King's Field or Ultima Underworld with way more traps everywhere, vast underground cemetaries and ancient ruins, hordes of aggressive but weak zombie type dudes and skinless berserker guys, it's great. They could have built a whole game around just this content honestly and the idea that it's just an optional but massive side thing is pretty outstanding.

I mean if you have a PS4 your other options are Revelations 2 (excellent), Evil Within (I love it but I realize it's way unpolished), and, uh, the upcoming Until Dawn which frankly looks embarrassing even for the PS3 game it began life as. I would strongly recommend Bloodborne to any horror game fan with a PS4. Hope Soma Bringer is good. :)

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 26, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah I know it's supposed to be a bad game because AVGN did a video on it but I was hooked as a kid. It wasn't a great game but the concept alone carried it at the time.

It has enough of a cult following though that after the NES Batman: The Video Game style action figure Neca contributed this to the world:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

Is this a snuff thing?

These games are pretty fun. Basically you can't do anything on your own, so you're given a timer until the hero of the land invades your castle during which you set up different traps. As you pull off cool things you unlock more traps of different kinds to do combos and try to eliminate intruders as fast as possible. The total overkill of each trap combined with the lack of any gore make them pretty funny honestly.

I remember how hyped I was for Suffering 2, Stan Winston designed most of that game's bosses too, huge waste of talent since the team made a great little game with Suffering 1.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 3, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I wish someone would recreate Silent Hill 1 on the Fox Engine and not change anything but the graphics.

Just think this is the note Silent Hill is going out on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvK1lEMQf1Q

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It sounds like they just stopped caring a whole lot about video games in the console sense. So they're pulling back to just mobile games/Japan stuff. Not a huge shock.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That makes sense honestly because The Warriors NAILED the look of the movie almost better than Manhunt's take on Newark/Asbury Park.

I hated how much more, uh, conventional Manhunt 2 is? Like the way the story was much more of a typical video game story with its dude on the run and top secret men in black guys and stuff. Huge waste of potential.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

More like Metahunt amirite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah note the PSN account is from Germany. In Germany and several other EU countries P.T. required PS+.