Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

woodenchicken posted:

I played it somewhere halfway between release and present day, so it kinda half-worked for me, but couldn't finish most chapters. There's a petition going on Gog for them to put it up in their store, but I suspect even their top wizards cannot get it to work reliably.

That game was just such a goddamn delight out of nowhere. There was something.. natural about its ugliness, it felt like you were actually there, axing zombies, poking giant crawling bats in the snout with a giant sharpened stick. A pulpy noir horror simulator, half-silly, half-creepy.
Considering how well-developed the whole "Spookhouse" setting was, I thought it was a part of some long-established franchise I hadn't heard anything about, but no, it's just this game. You're just dropped into it without much explanation. Nothing to see here, just a "supernatural cops" department where you bullshit casually with sgt. Haitian voodoo priest and lt. Romanian vampire.

Nocturne was loving unreal for its time. Not only was the atmosphere fantastic, the fact that each level was its own entire vignette dealing with a different setting with completely different themes, characters and enemies was super impressive. And then you went back to the spookhouse after each chapter and you could go around talking to people. Goddamn that was a cool game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I said it before but Nocturne would have made a killer Hellboy/BPRD game.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Hey, everyone remember that Clive Barker game? No, I'm not talking about that horrible abortion, I mean Undying. I adored that game as a kid, and the little journal that came with it Ala American Mcgee's Alice was really cool.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

He was a child killer in the original, the remake made him a molester. But then Dream Warriors made his origin story that his mother was trapped in an insane asylum and raped a bunch of times giving birth to Freddy so... yeah, I hope people can see why I'm hyper critical of rape as a plot point!

no, you are quite obviously a sjw and you should just grow a b*ard and stop being a f*ckin p***y.

I bet these issues could be worked well into horror! There are more thoughtful ways to do them than 'oh no my masculinity' and outdated and cliche cultural interpretations of rape.

But let's stop talking about this. I was looking through SOMA's information. That looks great. Routine seems cool, too, but in the wake of Isolation doing its 80's future aesthetic and nailing it, ehh. Floppies in the future are a funny concept once.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 20, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I'm still excited for Routine if only because the early previews made it look more freeform and player driven than Isolation's linear story. IIRC they specifically mentioned permadeath mechanics and being able to essentially freeroam and go anywhere in the station.

I kinda wish that the devs had waited a bit longer to announce it though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Hey, everyone remember that Clive Barker game? No, I'm not talking about that horrible abortion, I mean Undying. I adored that game as a kid, and the little journal that came with it Ala American Mcgee's Alice was really cool.
Yeah Undying's pretty good, its been on GOG for a while now.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Speaking of permadeath, has anyone actually played Ghostship Aftermath and is it as tedious as the GB Quick Look makes it seem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enYvj30MCHk

swordfish707
Jul 2, 2007

Let it all out.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I still play the poo poo out of it when I'm in the mood. So many great desolate yet beautiful landscapes and dark catacombs, then right when you're starting to get too familiar, Oneiros for no reason.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Undying is so good, last I checked you can still get it to run on Windows 7.

Yeah Routine is going to be a long time yet I'd guess. It's something like 2-3 people making it and there hasn't been a peep from them in forever, which could mean different things but the most likely case is it's going to be a long time yet.

Alien Isolation has its own thread (that I can't keep up with) and I'm only a couple hours in so I'll just say it's nailing the most important part of a horror game so far, the buildup. If it keeps this up I'll never be happier to be wrong about a game, because I wasn't expecting much.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if I should post this in here or the old shooters thread but has anyone tried In the Kingdom? It's like Doom but much more horror themed. I was listening to a podcast that made it sound really interesting but it's apparently really hard to find. It's on Steam Greenlight.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 20, 2014

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

al-azad posted:

Take Silent Hill 2. The game communicates to you what James did to his wife but weaves his sexual frustration into context clues in the way the nurses are scantily dressed and how off Maria looks (and of course pyramid head, uh, "strangling" mannequins). And then you have Angela and the abstract daddy which is really direct but her thick clothing and nervous reactions also hint at an abused past. All that without strapping her down on a table and having a monster gyrate above her or whatever cheap scares they could have shoved in the game.

Yeah, this. If you're going to go on about how sexual violence is used in video games, you have to give credit to one that presented it so effectively. The stuff in the Outlast DLC is exploitative horror, which has a time and place if you do it well and are presenting a message, like in the '70s as a counterculture movement. But nowadays a lot of exploitation horror is just shock and grimdark for the sake of shock and grimdark, which I have absolutely no problem categorizing into a lower tier of entertainment value.

poptart_fairy posted:

A one hit kill enemy which is heavily telegraphed and can be dealt with using the environment.

I don't think goons really seem to get the Evil Within.

Isn't this also literally the entire crux of Alien: Isolation's horror?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

sticklefifer posted:

Isn't this also literally the entire crux of Alien: Isolation's horror?

You beat me to it, but yeah, this is most stealth-based horror games, I don't see what the problem here is. I think the big issue was that one part in that one video where the player stumbled through a door right into the ghost guy, and got his rear end ghost-handed to him.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
The one-hit kill ghost man in Evil Within isn't too bad, but he did spawn in directly behind my roommate and instantly murder him without giving him a chance to respond once, erasing about 10 minutes' worth of progress because there are no checkpoints in the part of the game where he appears, which is a exploration-heavy, combat-light fetch quest through a medium-sized area. So the next try after that was a tedious affair of grabbing everything in a room, running to the save point, going back to the next room, back to the save point, and so on.

My read on Evil Within is that it's probably fun if you're observant, very patient, and keep multiple saves.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I've played a bunch of evil within and that insta death guy has appeared like once, and the solution was to slowly walk away from him. I dunno if he appears more often later on but that's my trip report 7 chapters in.

I find the idea of perma death in a horror game super interesting because I think the one fear a game can impart that nothing else can is the fear of mortality, so I'm curious about how Routine turns out. I think balancing a horror game with perma death would work in a kind of long term way, like enemies and stuff slowly chip away at you while your resources slowly dwindle, that's how I'd design it anyway. I don't think, say, Spelunky's approach to permadeath would work in a horror game, for example.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Yodzilla posted:

Speaking of permadeath, has anyone actually played Ghostship Aftermath and is it as tedious as the GB Quick Look makes it seem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enYvj30MCHk

I have access to this, so I'll swap it on to my list and write it up tonight or tomorrow. Just for you. :3:

Clever Spambot posted:

Real talk: as someone who generally hates overly actiony AAA horror games will i enjoy evil within at all?

Depends. It sounds like you would enjoy the early game, which has you outnumbered and under-supplied for a good while. You can stealth kill enemies if you sneak up on them, but if they spot you they're rather hard to kill with your limited resources and do quite a bit of damage. You spend a good bit of time running for your life, wondering what the hell is going on, and using the environment to kill your enemies if you can.

Over the course of the game you get stronger (via upgrades and new weapons) and the enemies you used to sneak around become cannon fodder in direct fights. This is probably the source of a lot of contention... the game very clearly shifts tone over the course of a playthrough. Personally, I think this works in its favor because your character gets more powerful and the fights get brought to the fore as you learn more about what's going on in the story. You shift from running from the evil to fighting back against the evil, and the gameplay reflects that. The problem is if you're coming to the game for just one or the other, and I think a lot of people preferred the tense, oppressive atmosphere of the first half. I can't blame them, because it's done REALLY well.

al-azad posted:

I've heard stories about Terminal Reality that amount to them having created loads of lore and notes for projects that never saw the light of day. They tried really hard to turn Bloodrayne into a big franchise but that kind of fell flat on its face. Oh well, RIP to a halfway decent company. Terminal Velocity/Fury3 was my poo poo.

I got to work with Terminal Reality a few years ago, and this was exactly the case. They were super proud of Nocturne, and for good reason. Such a shame it didn't become a series. My dad still plays it from time to time and it scares the poo poo out of him.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Undying's pretty great. As noted, it's on GOG, and drennan (that's not me, for the record) on their forums made a mod to let widescreen resolutions work (normally the journal gets cut off). It's fantastic, though it only works in D3D mode, so no Glide effects.

Zombie Samurai posted:

I got to work with Terminal Reality a few years ago, and this was exactly the case. They were super proud of Nocturne, and for good reason. Such a shame it didn't become a series. My dad still plays it from time to time and it scares the poo poo out of him.

That's awesome, it is absolutely a game to be proud of. I was sad to see them go, I hope that, somehow, whoever has access to the guts of the game can get it to work.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

They really should put that first Blair Witch game on steam, it's pretty fun.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Clive Barker's Undying is the loving bomb.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Weak ending, but yeah, that game was pretty fun.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The game scared the gently caress out of me when I was a kid. I don't think I ever finished it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I just tried out Nocturne on my dad's computer and discovered that it runs just fine there, so I guess my problem is having a laptop with an AMD card. Sadly, I don't really see an option there.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Nocturne is stellar and that first Blair Witch game was really solid and atmospheric.

Which one of the three Blair Witch games was the one where you're running around burning monsters with a holy cross?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
DOUBLE!

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 21, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

Nocturne was so good. I'd have played a whole game where you just use any of the partner charactrers. Molloch, Hayseed, I guess we sorta got Svetlana already via Bloodrayne and so on. I remember what a big deal the game's cloth physics and lighting were at the time.

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Clive Barker's Undying is the loving bomb.

I liked how the third or fourth spell you got was weak as hell but blew up undead stuff instantly.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Nocturne is stellar and that first Blair Witch game was really solid and atmospheric.
I don't know. Solid and atmospheric, yes, but only by comparison to the other entries in the series. It's not really all that good on its own merits.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

I remember what a big deal the game's cloth physics and lighting were at the time.

Were the cloth physics as insane back then as they are on modern computers? Because now any clothes with physics parts look like they have a mind of their own and desperately want to escape. I love it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pretty much, it was amazing at the time though just because it wasn't a flat texture on the model. IIRC Dead or Alive 4 on 360 was the first game where all the clothing is a totally separate model/physical object from the character itself. It's so lame when I think about it now but it really was a THIS IS THE NEXT GEN moment when it cameo out.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't know. Solid and atmospheric, yes, but only by comparison to the other entries in the series. It's not really all that good on its own merits.

In my eyes it was just somewhat like getting more Nocturne. That was good enough for me at the time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I was like this with Terminal Reality's Aeon Flux game. It wasn't great but it was basically BloodRayne 3 (and had a way better story/execution than the movie, you even got to die horribly after almost every level in stupid ways like in the original shorts).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

In my eyes it was just somewhat like getting more Nocturne. That was good enough for me at the time.
I can see what you mean by that, it had a very similar feel. It definitely wasn't the worst game I've ever played, just a bit mediocre.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

And then, suddenly, Nocturne started working for me. :stare: I don't know what I did differently from the last time I tried using my switchable graphics card, but something this time worked. The only time switchable graphics have been useful for me, too. How bizarre. Oh well, here's one disc not leaving the drive until I finish the game!

Neo Rasa posted:

I liked how the third or fourth spell you got was weak as hell but blew up undead stuff instantly.

You could also use it on living enemies to make them kill themselves. Was that the same spell you used to raise the dead to fight for you?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

al-azad posted:

I've heard stories about Terminal Reality that amount to them having created loads of lore and notes for projects that never saw the light of day. They tried really hard to turn Bloodrayne into a big franchise but that kind of fell flat on its face. Oh well, RIP to a halfway decent company. Terminal Velocity/Fury3 was my poo poo.

I heard most of the planned Bloodrayne backstory stuff ended up being folded into the comics (yes, there was a Bloodrayne comics series and it was surprisingly okay, if very average). I still want my Bloodrayne 3 though. The setup they had at the end (humanity knows monsters are real and is now under siege, Rayne has split from the Brimstone Foundation, who have now taken to fighting back en masse with power armour and huge guns and something very nasty is on the rise) is just too good not to see through.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October :spooky:

Challenge Games
1. Alien: Isolation
2. Year Walk
3. Deadlight
4. Adventures of Shuggy
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
7. Infected: The Twin Vaccine - Collector's Edition
8. How to Survive
9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed
10. Burn Zombie Burn!
11. Home
12. Huntsman: The Orphanage (Halloween Edition)
13. Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
14. Scarygirl
15. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
16. Closure

Bonus Games
A. Painkiller: Black Edition
B. The Void
C. Shadowgrounds

-----------------

17. Alien Breed 2: Assault

If you were around for the awesome summer sale with the tickets and prizes, you probably have this game in your backlog because I think it was the only full game you could get with tickets. Obviously I've been sitting on it for years, and despite its apparent similarities to Shadowgrounds (which I love, get it) I've never given it a try. But my internet was out last night and I didn't have much time to play so I figured it was finally time.

Alien Breed is an isometric shooter from Team17, far better known for their excellent Worms 2, Worms Armageddon, and all the awful Worms games that came after those. This installment is the middle part of a trilogy whose story appears to be completely unimportant... I think my third screenshot above sums it up pretty well. Your grizzled spaceman is stuck on an exploding derelict ship that you need to either escape from, stop from exploding, or both. I got a little muddled in there because the cutscenes are voiced poorly and the in-game direction is just text.

But you really need to pay attention to all that text because the majority of the game is backtracking and flipping switches. Seriously, in the 40 minutes I played I fixed like 5 doors, three valves, flushed coolant, refilled coolant, and started three backup generators, one of which exploded and had to be repaired. Your character in Shadowgrounds is an actual mechanic and you do less busywork fixing than your hard-boiled spaceman in Alien Breed. Interaction is the new standard "Hold X for 5 seconds to fix/open/hump" which REALLY adds up in this game. In addition, half of the things you interact with trigger boring in-game cutscenes of machines moving around that add up even faster.

It's a shame too, because Alien Breed looks good for a budget shooter. It's built in Unreal3 and makes good use of the engine. The combat is good as well, but sadly not as varied as Shadowgrounds in guns or enemies. The main problem is that you start with a ridiculously effective assault rifle that can then be upgraded further, rendering most of your other weapons moot. There's a standard assortment of shotgun, flamethrower, minigun, and rocket launcher to pick up and upgrade, but outside of corner cases your AR is going to get the job done better. Plus you can pick up gear like grenades and turrets that further marginalize your other weapons. There are only a few enemy types to shoot and almost all of them are the "get up in your grillpiece" type, which only exacerbates things further because your assault rifle has a knockback effect. I really don't know what they were thinking with this thing.

There's a story mode with all the switch-flipping valve-turning annoyance I mentioned, a survival mode where you just kill huge waves of aliens, and a co-op mode which I didn't even bother looking into. I don't know if Alien Breeds 1 and 3 are better balanced in terms of weapons and switch-flipping, but 2 here just wasn't doing it for me. If you don't have Shadowgrounds it might do the trick for you, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

There's a story mode with all the switch-flipping valve-turning annoyance I mentioned, a survival mode where you just kill huge waves of aliens, and a co-op mode which I didn't even bother looking into. I don't know if Alien Breeds 1 and 3 are better balanced in terms of weapons and switch-flipping, but 2 here just wasn't doing it for me. If you don't have Shadowgrounds it might do the trick for you, otherwise I wouldn't bother.
They're not. I think I got all of them on the cheap with a bundle? I don't remember. Still not worth it, though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It goes without saying, but the original Alien Breed from the early '90s is a far better game than any of the remakes, since it's basically Aliens from an age where you could do blatant rip-offs like that and not get your face sued off. Also surprisingly tense, even in this day and age.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Actually that's totally worth saying because I didn't even know the recent trilogy was a remake. The original looks rad too, I much would have preferred to play that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

Actually that's totally worth saying because I didn't even know the recent trilogy was a remake. The original looks rad too, I much would have preferred to play that.

Luckily enough, you can. It's on GOG, or at least the DOS version is.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

You got farther than I did, I realized pretty quickly that it was just going to be a Space Janitor game and marked it off. It is a shame, because it still doesn't look bad graphically, and I like top down shooters. Shadowgrounds was great, the first one is a sort of top down Doom 3, where you have levels that feel more alive and you can make your way through them in a non-linear fashion. There were some space janitoring parts, but most of the objectives were a lot more interesting than that. That was the biggest disappointment about Shadowgrounds 2, they changed it to progressing through a series of rooms that would lock you in and spawn waves of aliens at you.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

You got farther than I did, I realized pretty quickly that it was just going to be a Space Janitor game and marked it off. It is a shame, because it still doesn't look bad graphically, and I like top down shooters. Shadowgrounds was great, the first one is a sort of top down Doom 3, where you have levels that feel more alive and you can make your way through them in a non-linear fashion. There were some space janitoring parts, but most of the objectives were a lot more interesting than that. That was the biggest disappointment about Shadowgrounds 2, they changed it to progressing through a series of rooms that would lock you in and spawn waves of aliens at you.

I have so much to say about Shadowgrounds: Survivor. I'm just waiting for the right night to dig back into it.

Crossposting from the Steam thread: Hey look, F.E.A.R. Online launched today. Just in time for :spooky:Halloween:spooky:

quote:

Sadly, it's ruined by pay-to-win weapons. A real shame. Maybe this will get better over time, but right now, give it a miss.

quote:

I went in here with high expectations giving the F.E.A.R title was dissapointed with final outcome feels like a janky pay2win rip off game definatley not worth installing

quote:

There is no permanent way to buy a character (that I saw) only rentals. Meaning you have to keep paying for the enhancements your used to as each character has a different number of enhancements available. The crafting system looks lackluster at best, and at worst appears designed to draw you into buying resource packs.

Nothing says spooky like gear rentals and cash for guns! Gonna put this on the list for tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Well Five Nights At Freddy's 2 trailer just came out, man the dev sure works fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVPONdZBh6s
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=329921390
- Highlights include
- Strange puppet man in drawings popping out of presents and giving children presents
- Drawings of kids dismembering the mascots arms or heads
- No Doors to keep them out now and instead a mask to hide under
- Zombie mascots alongside the new mascots out for your blood
- Former PC now works on a day shift and your the new night shift