Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

My cousin wrote TR 2013, and she was going for drawing out Lara's story development. There was some stuff from previous writers that unfortunately stayed, like the sexual assault/first kill, so they intended to try and make it a sort of corner that Lara turns.

You really have to be stretching to pretend that scene isn't deliberately coded as an assault scene. You can blame the modelers and cutscene directors if you want but that is exactly what that scene is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Yes, and? Why not more of that?

I've been wanting more of that and it's been 20 loving years. WHERE THE gently caress IS OUR NEW ILLBLEED?!

The man responsible for it be dead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

James isn't really good or evil, which is kind of the point. SH2 is a reflection of how he views himself. He was in a horrible tragic situation that immensely taxes an individual and the guilt over what happened weighs heavily upon him, but the entire story is about how James is dealing with that guilt and what it says about himself. The town absolutely tries to twist his guilt into something dangerous but I think defining it as "James was bad and so the town was bad to him" doesn't quite work. It was that James was troubled and the town was able to use that prey upon him.

Likewise it doesn't mean James is a Good Guy either. He's a person dealing with immense trauma that brought out some of his worst thoughts and feelings. The end result is that whatever happens to James is what he thinks he deserves (or that he is unable to actually acknowledge his own problems and thus is doomed to repeat them.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

the town only “preys” on him because James is suicidal and wants to be punished, hence why his chief tormentor is a warped recollection of an executioner painting he saw once. in contrast, Eddie’s stance is “I didn’t learn poo poo” and the town just shrugs and gives him a steady supply of more people to shoot. Laura I don’t count because it’s kind of ambiguous whether she’s a Maria-esque construct even if canonically she just hitchhiked with Eddie

silent hill itself seems to be a neutral force that doesn’t gain or lose anything from the people it ensnares

I can't really say that is neutral though. Silent Hill is giving both of them a way to fall deeper into their own problems and impulses. Eddie's misery and problems are given an outlet which lets him kill more and more and desensitizes him to what he does. Eddie isn't chill about it. You see him trying desperately to justify his murders with 'they deserved it' and 'it was justified'. Eddie was already hosed up but Silent Hill pushes him until he's actually willing to murder another human being. If he killed James that would have been him crossing the line into actual for-real murder.

Eddie also isn't being 150% genuine with what he says. He claims he doesn't feel anything and he found it funny when he shot his bully (in the leg) and killed the dog but he's lying. He was drawn to Silent Hill because he felt guilty about it. He even tells James that he's like him, he wouldn't be here if he didn't have something on his conscious. Dude was hosed up by what he did and Silent Hill kept pushing him deeper and deeper into "actually you SHOULD murder the next person who makes fun of you."

I think that's kind of key to Eddie. He isn't a remorseless psychopath. He's a hosed up guy who desperately needs help and spends pretty much the entire time trying to convince himself that he is totally cool with hurting and murdering people even though he actually isn't. He's as suicidal as James in his own way. (Which is why he's pointing the gun at his OWN head when he's talking about killing someone.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 18, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, Pyramid Head has always been a fan name

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

There are only three endings available on an initial run, and realistically, you'd probably get Leave if you were playing wholly blind. Leave's criteria are met for playing the game as a typical first-time player would: don't spend a lot of time at low health, keep moving forward, don't dink around with Maria any longer than you have to.

I recall I actually got In Water my first time through because playing RE had me in the habit of not bothering to heal unless I really really needed to. Whoops.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am cautious but also try to remind myself that Mercury Steam made the worst Castlevania game and the best Metroid game so turnarounds can happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

al-azad posted:

Perhaps being a Silent Hill fan to a historic franchise with the worst caretaker is punishment on its own. We all deserve our own Red-and-Orange Pyramid Thing.

If you are American you got that back in 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be clear it is a dog trapped in a bear trap. That doesn't mean it is That Dog but if not apparently the dog isn't in the same place and instead there's a dead dog in a bear trap there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

They should just remake outbreak by now if they want multiplayer resident evil

Yeah, I think the idea that "multiplayer RE" is something new and not something Capcom has been chasing since the moment multiplayer was a possibility is a bit silly. They've been trying co-op and competitive multiplayer for a long time. Sometimes it works out really well, sometimes it doesn't. It is just part of the franchise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

How are we defining popular? 7 sold the most out of them all

RE4 isn't as easily measured because it's sales data is broken up amongst a whole lot of different releases. RE4 was absurdly popular and influential which is why Capcom has been chasing it ever since.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

RE4's sales really only far outstrip C:V's because it got ported basically everywhere. If you look at the sales when they were concurrent, C:V didn't sell that much lower.

I feel like any discussion of this needs to include 'RE 4 was a GameCube exclusive and CV was a Dreamcast exclusive' when discussing initial sales.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Its gonna be interesting because in re8, even in third person mode you got forced into first person for a lot of stuff so it's gonna be awkward.

Unless they're thinking of doing two sorts of cutscenes (the graphics are good enough that they shouldn't need to prerender them) where it's from a third person or first person perspective

Any future game would probably design with that in mind. RE8 was sort of bolting it into a FPS game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Good point!

What I find interesting is people really did adore 7, and I remember Capcom getting feedback that the Beneviento was the most popular of 8, so clearly people do like the more horror aspects, but also the re4 like action. I don't know if they'll ever find the perfect balance for it

I think the issue is that RE does have different audiences. Sone people play for horror, some people play for the action, some people play for both. Knife only speed runs and Mercenary score attacks are as much a part of RE's DNA as jump scares and body horror. You don't have one without the other.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

6 has some extremely fun and good segments but it has by far the largest amount of timewaster minigames in the entire franchise which make it hard to replay for fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

whaley posted:

it really makes me poo poo that EA closed Visceral Games five years ago and now wants everyone to be excited about a remake of a game by a studio EA thought wasn't good enough to exist

If they wanted to keep existing maybe they should have made better microtransactions!!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I had no idea pubg had a universe to tie into.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Releasing your mediocre clone of a game months before not just the remake of that game but also the remake of the game that inspired *that* game is hilariously bad luck.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Parasite Eve and Parasite Eve 2 are very different beasts but I also think that's fine as they both have their strengths.

Parasite Eve 1 is a more distinct game. It's an JRPG set in New York City and it leans hard into that. New York is given a sense of scale and weight that you don't really see in a Resident Evil game, especially at the time. It has a greater focus on an ensemble cast and a heavier cutscene focus and in general is far more of a standard RPG with a unique setting. In terms of general design it is far more designed like a movie, built around a few distinct setpieces and with some clear homages to popular horror movies at the time. The whole 'it's a Christmas horror-action movie' thing gives it a ton of unique atmosphere. It also leans far harder into the RPG mechanics with a weird gun system that really has little to do with guns as a thing and more to do with skills and stats.

Parasite Eve 2, in comparison, is far more of a Resident Evil RPG. This isn't just in gameplay but also in general design, with a greater emphasis on evil corporations creating mutant bioweapons where the final act takes place in an evil lab. The atmosphere and design of Dryfield is more in line with a Resident Evil game too, including somewhat silly puzzles, fixed camera angles, and so-on. Weapons are more unique and specialized, secrets are plentiful and even when you have magic powers available they've been downplayed a bit. In terms of being a "Resident Evil" game though it actually does a great job, I'd argue on its own terms it would be up there with RE2 in terms of atmosphere, design and gameplay.

They both do what they are aiming to do well but it's very possible to enjoy one and not the other because they are pretty drat different.

The Third Birthday, beyond all the ways it is abhorrent in plot and design, also doesn't have a clear design idea behind it. The first two games are fanciful but they're fantasy-realism. Parasite Eve is closer to Die Hard than Final Fantasy and PE2 neatly could slot into Resident Evil series with minimal trouble. 3rd Birthday eliminates all sense of realism or place. The Twisted are a weird borderline incoherent threat, the time travel aspect eliminates most sense of 'place' and in general it just doesn't have anything that grounds it. Hell, one of the absolute basic concepts, that the protagonist swaps bodies, isn't remotely played for the horror it should be.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 10, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think combat has an important place in Silent HIll but the core issue is that post SH2 nobody really had any idea of what it was doing with combat as a thing.

Silent Hill 1 had combat but even discounting the clunkiness of the PS1 design it tried to play into the idea of combat as part of setting the atmosphere. Being swarmed by terrifying knife children, having to stare into the maw of a beast to kill it, having to potentially murder Cybil with your own hands, and of course the infamous fact that the final boss was designed to make you panic as your ammo dwindled (while never actually leaving you helpless.) It is a different game without the combat because the combat was built into the tension.

SH2 went even further with that and made James being a violent person play into the overall atmosphere, tying it into the endings and even making combat itself part of the symbolism of the story. It's a trick that works best if you don't know it is there though which is why it becomes harder to repeat the trick because everyone is looking for it after the first time, though it still has its value afterwards. The melee aspect is important there because James viscerally beating the poo poo out of things is important to the atmosphere, all the way to him getting the giant knife.

SH3 is where it starts to fall apart. It has its moments ("they look like monsters to you?") but it doesn't feel as naturally integrated into the setting. Heather fighting monsters ends up feeling more like something that is expected in Silent Hill instead of being a part of the cohesive design. The Room kind of tries stuff with the ghosts but it ends up feeling awkward and everything past The Room has literally no ideas for what combat means except What Silent Hill 2 did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

There is something conceptually funny about beating the crystallized concepts of your guilt with a plank of wood.

Oh, absolutely, but I think that is something the earlier SHs were well aware of. It's one of those things that works well if you allow yourself to be lost in the atmosphere but if you don't then it becomes kind of absurd, which is part of why the rewards for gamifying it are joke endings and weapons. "We recognize that you're leaving the atmosphere behind in favor of speedrunning and optimization so now a dog is responsible for everything and Heather is a magical girl."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Considering Control is tied into AW I don't think goofy is a concern.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I hoped for a second that they might've gone "surprise, the game's ready to go this week after all!", but sadly it was not to be :sigh:

Even if it was I'm pretty sure they don't want to go up against Mario Wonder and Spider-Man 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RE7 has great tone and atmosphere but I really don't like the gameplay and enemy design much. The molded are just dull and the blocking mechanic still feels weird even after two games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hm, so Fortnite is canon to both Alan Wake and Star Wars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly don't think RE7 holds up that well. It's not bad by any means but of the recent REs I'd put it ahead of RE3.

The opening is great. I'd argue at minimum to the chainsaw fight with Jack is excellent. From there I think it starts to rapidly go downhill, especially on replays. Pretty much everything after the choice between Mia and Zoe kinda sucks from an atmosphere and a gameplay perspective. It has just such a lame wet fart of an ending after such a strong opening. The lab sequences are usually my least favorite part of a RE game but even at their worst they tend to have cool/memorable moments but I struggle to remember anything like that from RE7.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

I feel like this has come up many times in the past and the answer is always no, but I also don't trust my memory so

is American Nightmare worth the time to go through if you do not care for Alan Wake combat? I think I bounced off of it like half an hour in after I finished the original game and never gave it another shot, and with 2 coming up it's back in my thoughts

No, it absolutely isn't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looks like it's getting torn apart in steam reviews?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So yeah Slay the Princess is really short too. Its only 45 minutes to reach the "true" ending. A bit short for $16. Maybe there is a lot more content hidden away in branching paths, but I don't think that is the case.

I can't even find a playthrough of the demo is that is only 45 minutes online. I'm not saying you're lying but there's something weird about your number being that absurdly low.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Note the 100% achievement.

Unless GOG is inaccurate. There is a 10 minute discrepancy between Playnite and GOG playtimes.

https://www.gog.com/forum/slay_the_princess/a_note_on_achievements

Achievements are apparently not working right on GoG which is probably the issue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is it better or worse than Twelve Minutes?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mutantIke posted:

The new one supposedly has a new Poe song (!!!) in it, so there's gonna be at least one heater. BTW, just signed up for a free trial of Nvidia game streaming so I could play this Properly and it's honestly not that bad of an experience.

It has a full-on musical number stage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

As a side note:

Do not buy Quantum Error. It's probably the least fun I've had with a game in a long time. The concept is cool but the execution is genuinely 'lovely indie shovelware' game tier except they want you to pay $70 for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh, I think shared universe stuff can be fun, and I think Alan Wake in particular is a good fit for it. poo poo is heavily inspired by Stephen King and that dude was doing a giant interconnected shared universe long before Marvel was, and I think the shared DNA between various stories can be nice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Please for the love of god I need a high res version of It's Trauma. It is the stupidest thing. The *stupidest thing.*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think American Nightmare is actually considered canon at this point

It is but only barely and the ending is soft-rewritten

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I find it strange how King hates his breakout book, Carrie, for being not polished to his standards. When at 60K words it's his tightest book. Ain't nobody giving a poo poo about Bag of Bones.

Pretty much every writer on the planet inwardly cringes at their earlier work no matter how popular it is. I think you'd probably get looked at weirdly if you were like "Aw yeah my first book is awesome, haha."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Disposable Scud posted:

Ascension and Stray Souls in the span of six days goddamn

Also Quantum Error

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

There are a couple transitions in AW2 that are so well-done that you don't really notice the switch.

I will say any time they focus on Alan's face I find it SUPER obvious. Real Alan and CG Alan look like different characters half the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think SH2 is also helped by being a sequel to a game that is a bit more standard. SH1 *is* about the evil cult who ruins the town with their evil god and if you didn't go into SH2 expecting something different then it can be really easy to get hoodwinked by the twist because you're expecting to see Daliah come out of a corner or something.

And then SH3 hookwinks you again because you're expecting a SH2 and get SH1 the direct sequel.

None of the others really play with your expectations, you get exactly what you signed up for, except maybe Shattered Memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

idontpost69 posted:

was the bit with Harry being on the razor's edge of killing Heather as a baby weird for anyone else or did I just not get it?

It isn't particularly weird.

Harry (correctly) assumed that she was Alessa reborn and there was a significant chance she would doom the world. He genuinely considered pulling a "would you kill Baby Hitlersatan" and then decided that no, he wasn't that kind of person. The story is pretty clear that Harry doesn't view Heather as him rescuing Cheryl but a new person. (He even mentions he wishes he hadn't named her Cheryl because it was like he was replacing the original.)