Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I'd love a new game in the vein of the remakes with a very different locale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

MMF Freeway posted:

Pretty much any definition puts RE4 high and CV low

Sure, but Veni×3 said re4 was the most popular, definitively

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

RE4's sales really only far outstrip C:V's because it got ported basically everywhere. If you look at the sales when they were concurrent, C:V didn't sell that much lower.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

How are we defining popular? 7 sold the most out of them all

RE4 isn't as easily measured because it's sales data is broken up amongst a whole lot of different releases. RE4 was absurdly popular and influential which is why Capcom has been chasing it ever since.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

RE4's sales really only far outstrip C:V's because it got ported basically everywhere. If you look at the sales when they were concurrent, C:V didn't sell that much lower.

I feel like any discussion of this needs to include 'RE 4 was a GameCube exclusive and CV was a Dreamcast exclusive' when discussing initial sales.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Medullah posted:

I tend to think they're looking to have future games having 3rd and 1st person available as options, with the RE8 DLC opening that door.

Its gonna be interesting because in re8, even in third person mode you got forced into first person for a lot of stuff so it's gonna be awkward.

Unless they're thinking of doing two sorts of cutscenes (the graphics are good enough that they shouldn't need to prerender them) where it's from a third person or first person perspective

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

ImpAtom posted:

RE4 isn't as easily measured because it's sales data is broken up amongst a whole lot of different releases. RE4 was absurdly popular and influential which is why Capcom has been chasing it ever since.

I feel like any discussion of this needs to include 'RE 4 was a GameCube exclusive and CV was a Dreamcast exclusive' when discussing initial sales.

Good point!

What I find interesting is people really did adore 7, and I remember Capcom getting feedback that the Beneviento section was the most popular of 8, so clearly people do like the more horror aspects, but also the re4 like action. I don't know if they'll ever find the perfect balance for it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Its gonna be interesting because in re8, even in third person mode you got forced into first person for a lot of stuff so it's gonna be awkward.

Unless they're thinking of doing two sorts of cutscenes (the graphics are good enough that they shouldn't need to prerender them) where it's from a third person or first person perspective

Any future game would probably design with that in mind. RE8 was sort of bolting it into a FPS game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

veni veni veni posted:

Personally I think they should just call it good on the remakes after 4 and make all new games in both the style of the remakes and others in the style of re7

I wouldn't be surprised if they do. I've been curious what comes after 4, because 5's notable problems with its portrayal of Africa are pretty well embedded in the game. Then 6 comes along and it's this big unfocused mess that would take a lot of work to refine into something more like the current remakes. Plus, they're getting more and more recent the further you go. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they just stopped at 4 or sent a B team to work on older stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Good point!

What I find interesting is people really did adore 7, and I remember Capcom getting feedback that the Beneviento was the most popular of 8, so clearly people do like the more horror aspects, but also the re4 like action. I don't know if they'll ever find the perfect balance for it

I think the issue is that RE does have different audiences. Sone people play for horror, some people play for the action, some people play for both. Knife only speed runs and Mercenary score attacks are as much a part of RE's DNA as jump scares and body horror. You don't have one without the other.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
An enormously galaxy brained move would be to remake RE6 but to separate it into at least 2 full games with better focus.

But I'm also counting this in the ironic internet brain poisoning use of galaxy brain.

How about Revelation remakes, hah. And Outbreak remakes are right there begging to make money but Capcom insists on crashing and burning RE multiplayer for some drat reason.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I'd love to know what the hell they were working on Outbreak wise when the Nvidia list leaked. Clearly it probably got cancelled but still

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
When did that list leak? Feel like games get worked on for quite awhile before getting announced quite often. Not like it being leaked would give them any reason to rush to confirm/deny it.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

thebardyspoon posted:

When did that list leak? Feel like games get worked on for quite awhile before getting announced quite often. Not like it being leaked would give them any reason to rush to confirm/deny it.

September, last year.

Just found an article on the small list of things from it that haven't come out updated earlier this month

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-leaked-games-list-pc/, of course the Capcom section doesn't even talk about the Outbreak entry...

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Bumhead posted:

REmake 3 is a decent game but a bad remake. It's a fun time. A really short but sharp slice of Resident Evil possibly at its absolute best in terms of action. It's only a surface level interpretation of RE3 though. Like its drawn from memory. Too many lost moments and this version of Nemesis ain't it. It's the only one of the 3 where I outright prefer the original game no questions asked.

I personally loved RE3R but I played it immediately after platinum trophying RE2R and I think I only paid thirty bucks for it. If I had paid full price for it I probably would have been a little miffed. There's not much to the game.

In short it almost felt like an expansion pack of RE2R.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hilario Baldness posted:

I personally loved RE3R but I played it immediately after platinum trophying RE2R and I think I only paid thirty bucks for it. If I had paid full price for it I probably would have been a little miffed. There's not much to the game.

In short it almost felt like an expansion pack of RE2R.

Yeah I think a lot of the negative reaction is to it being not enough game for $60. If it had been released as "Resident Evil 2.5 - Nemesis" for $30 it would probably be much higher rated

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Has anyone listened to the Callisto Protocol prequel podcast? Is it worth a listen?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Re6 made me very motion sick. Is re7 just as bad or not as bad?

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

Re6 made me very motion sick. Is re7 just as bad or not as bad?

To me it wasn't bad at all since it was entirely first person. The worst game I've ever experienced motion sickness was Sonic 3D for the Sega Saturn. Had me dry heaving as a kid playing it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Has anyone listened to the Callisto Protocol prequel podcast? Is it worth a listen?

No but I’m bored at work and gonna listen to it
And report back.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

veni veni veni posted:

No but I’m bored at work and gonna listen to it
And report back.

Thank you!

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
RE6’s movement systems are exactly what I would have wanted to have in RE3 instead of the broken/unusable dodging system we got.

I have brainworms, though, because I had fun with RE6 as a co-op zombie smashing action game, and got basically nothing out of trying to play RE4 or 5 afterwards, they go for the same action thing but with much more stiff movement and aiming systems and it just doesn’t do it for me.

I also loved the RE1 remake and have no issues with playing the originals with tank controls. I just think if you’re going the action route then go all the way, or go the survival horror route where you don’t want to kill or pick up everything you see and avoiding enemies requires hiding, keeping quiet or making good use of limited movement options.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

brap posted:

RE6’s movement systems are exactly what I would have wanted to have in RE3 instead of the broken/unusable dodging system we got.

Good god no. Hell no.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know some goons like to claim that game was good now, but it is straight just a poo poo RE game and poo poo action game all around. RE6 is the worst. Also I know that someone will respond to this with something about how the dumb wrestling moves are amazing but they aren't

it had an ok mercs mode but everything else about RE6 is irredeemably bad.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Re6 is the only game in the series that I turned off after two hours and wondered what the gently caress they were thinking.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
RE6’s controls were good for an action game. Here, have a YouTube video about it. https://youtu.be/Ra4ncuEwhcI

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I really love the original RE. There's something to the almost Kubrickian atmosphere of the mansion with its stark colours and bizarre logic that none of the following games really capture. There's some of it in the police station in 2 but it's a much more polished product and feels less strange and alien. I still find the voice acting hilarious and I LOVE the soundtrack - just a shame that most modern ports are going to be the stupid dualshock edition that butchered it.

The REmake is fantastic of course, but I'll still go back to the original on occasion. It's also really short, which helps.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just live in Europe, we never get the DualShock version because it never came out here originally

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

veni veni veni posted:

I know some goons like to claim that game was good now, but it is straight just a poo poo RE game and poo poo action game all around. RE6 is the worst. Also I know that someone will respond to this with something about how the dumb wrestling moves are amazing but they aren't

it had an ok mercs mode but everything else about RE6 is irredeemably bad.

I played a lot of RE6 Mercenaries and I can easily say it's the best iteration of Mercs since RE5. It's just a lot of fun.

Shame about the rest.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Just live in Europe, we never get the DualShock version because it never came out here originally

I do live in Europe. I still think the DualShock edition is the only one available on PSN. Or at least it used to be, unless something changed recently. I know because I bought it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah it's always been plain old Director's Cut unless you bought it from the US store.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 29, 2022

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe I need to double check I guess. Wouldn't it run at 50hz though?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's hard to check now since PS3 stuff was expunged from the online store and the current version on there doesn't say but from what I remember for some reason RE1-3 were actually the US versions even on the EU store despite not doing that for any other games.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dogstile posted:

Re6 is the only game in the series that I turned off after two hours and wondered what the gently caress they were thinking.

we never would've gotten RE7 if its predecessor hadn't been such a monumental turd, which is probably the kindest thing that can be said about it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

brap posted:

RE6’s controls were good for an action game. Here, have a YouTube video about it. https://youtu.be/Ra4ncuEwhcI

I don't think the controls in RE6 are objectively bad but RE3 is much more in line with how I want an "action" version of RE to feel. The pace of RE6 is so far removed from what I am looking for when playing a game that I'm looking to get atmosphere and immersion out of. If RE3 remake played like RE6 I'd have hated it.

RE6's gameplay might have been good in a different (and better) game, but it crossed a line that made Resident Evil just not feel like RE anymore.

Only half way through, but that video is good btw.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vermain posted:

we never would've gotten RE7 if its predecessor hadn't been such a monumental turd, which is probably the kindest thing that can be said about it

Yeah I feel like RE6 lit a fire under Capcom's rear end to actually figure out what RE actually is and I think for the first time it feels not only consistent, but varied at the same time. RE2 is third person horror>action, RE3 is third person action>horror, RE7 is first person horror>action, and RE8 is first person action>horror. Alll four are different, but feel like part of the same series and compliment each other well.

I think RE4's success made Capcom want to try new things, which is fine on paper but I felt like they didn't really care if those things were good or a good fit for RE and RE5 started to lose sight of what makes RE good, and then 6 just jumped the loving shark.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

dogstile posted:

This but I felt like vomiting for an hour or so afterwards. I tried again later and same deal, so that was that. uninstalled. waste of 10/20/however much I paid

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I think I got it for $4 and shut it down after less than an hour. Like a latter-day Fast and the Furious movie, dodging flying buses and jumping like the Hulk. Execrable.

Anyway the rumor mill's churning about an A:I sequel again, but it hasn't crossed over into any reputable sites that I've seen, just clickbait merchants like GameRant. Claims is there are two Alien projects and one is being helmed by Suda51's studio, which is either a bold choice by SEGA or a tell that this is all a goof.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 29, 2022

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Basic Chunnel posted:

I think I got it for $4 and shut it down after less than an hour. Like a latter-day Fast and the Furious movie, dodging flying buses and jumping like the Hulk. Execrable.

Anyway the rumor mill's churning about an A:I sequel again, but it hasn't crossed over into any reputable sites that I've seen, just clickbait merchants like GameRant. Claims is there are two Alien projects and one is being helmed by Suda51's studio, which is either a bold choice or a tell that this is all a goof.

Suda was very confused about that info himself, so I don't think that particular rumor is true

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Six is better than five

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neither one is good so who cares. 5 at least wasn't sloppy as hell and felt like a quality made game so it's better than 6.