Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

1stGear posted:

Bit disappointed that the player character is Brownhair McGeneric, but they also didn't have any lines and the narrator didn't refer to them in any specific way, so maybe there will be a bit of customization.

https://twitter.com/CallistoTheGame/status/1529583819183226881?s=20&t=DH9IsYTMylM_0E1XBowQ5w

thats a negative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

since we're all getting in on this i wanna see a House of Leaves/ house area from Sunless Skies sort of game- you start exploring a unnatural seeming house, you go on a few expeditions into the deeper parts of it, and then suddenly it rearranges and traps you. you start finding places that seem like people were just there, rooms that seem unnaturally small or big, rooms based on things like prisons or malls. the survival aspect could be taken pretty liberally from leaves, concepts like having to said warm leading you to search for furnaces or burning rooms, and food require you to find pantries or recently vacated dining rooms. the thing i couldn't pin down would be what antagonists would be effective, since in leaves it was almost completely unseen and in sunless skies it was a feeling you couldn't leave easily.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Boy of Joy posted:

I never played Dead Space 3 and still have a shrink wrapped PS3 copy. Everything I’ve heard about it says that the game is not really worth playing solo. Did you ever play it co-op? I never got around to it because I couldn’t get any friends to take the plunge in a co-op playthrough
:negative:

Thinking of just biting the bullet at some point and just play it solo but your thoughts don’t inspire confidence! For the record DS1 and 2 are some of my fave horror games. Feels like an Alien 3 situation…

So i'd say dead space 3 gets a bit of a bad rap due to corporate meddling, even if it is clearly the weakest of the series. theres a couple elements that were added that add basically nothing to the game's enjoyment- fighting people is really dull, despite there being a huge element of promise with the idea of fighting three way battles, this is basically never realized and only happens a very few times in the game to minimal in battle effect. the actual people antagonists are really dumb in video game design ways- they always show up to take you captive so some dumb plot stuff can take place, they are never a threat in the game, and they dont evolve in any way combat wise in the same way necromorphs do. while your mileage may vary, almost every person i've heard talk about the game environment starts great and gets worse the sequence in space searching the destroyed armada is amazing, the actual ice planet searching starts decently and gets gradually worse, till you end the game in a dull research facility environment that has very little in game pizzazz to wow you with. the weapon things is another point, with some people hating to have to customize their weapons in any way, some who find it extremely easy and doesnt add any item management due to all ammo being shared, and some who despise the way the game offers you *premium* good weapons early on when you dont have enough currency to get them.

multiplayer wise, youd be missing out on the least id say. it is fun to fight alongside someone in the same way id think resi4 would be cool to co-op, and there arent a lot of in game missions you are missing going solo- while they do add some design neatness in that one character hallucinates while the other deals with reality and the real monsters running about, the bulk of the game is serviceable as a single player experience, even though there's definitely a "gently caress you" feeling when you come across two player only missions.

having slandered the game thoroughly here, i dont think its bad in any way, just not exceptional in the way dead space 1 and especially 2 are. the early sections are great, but dont hold through the same way DS2 does. the action is really solid, but the enemies they added to the series are among the weakest. the game tries to draw you into the plot more than "survive till you get to the idea that lets you win" with the resistance quest thing it has going on, but none of the characters really hit home in a way that allows you to get invested in their survival. it still has all the elements that make a good dead space, but everything has been watered down in a way that makes it not as fresh feeling. DS2 is my favorite action horror game of all time, but i dont think ds3 is a franchise ending disaster. id say in context of another horror franchise, its nowhere near as bad as resident evil 6.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Konami exec: "We really wanted to make a game that appeals to our Dead By Daylight horror lovers and the modern Fortnite loving mobile gamer!"

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

sponges posted:

I still pine for those old school Survival Horror games. Maybe the gameplay and mechanics are fundamentally dated and only existed in the first place due to technical limitations and lack of experience. I don't care. Give me fixed camera angles, pre-rendered backgrounds, tank controls and nonsensical puzzles.

i had a really good time with alisa

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1335530/Alisa/

its just recently had its final update that added a variety of costumes (some of the games costumes are actually gameplay altering which is cool) but ive never had a re clone hit me so hard in the puzzle nuts. every one of them, totally solvable as soon as you step up with the right pieces but ill be damned if im not standing there for 20 minutes moving books around a shelf or stones on a pillar trying to solve it without a youtube. the resource trade off combat, the otherworldy dialogue, the cool resdent evil mansion but not? are all things that draw me right back before i run away remembering how long it took me to solve the first move blocks puzzle.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm surprised they didn't add any new gods for 1.0 tbh.

biggest changes:
four new mysteries, bringing new events and enemies
two new characters with their own set of new upgrades
two new OLD GODS
save/load system, that will FINALLY allow you to take a break without losing any progress
additional translations of the game, including Japanese, Chinese (traditional), Chinese (simplified), Korean, French and German.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh. Huh, guess you gotta unlock them. How?

I have no idea, myself. perusing the spoilers discord hasnt given any info. presumably this will all spill out in the next few weeks.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Has anyone played https://store.steampowered.com/app/2006140/Withering_Rooms/

It looks really neat but i wanna get a outside view from the steam reviews, and i have seen absolutely no news of it anywhere besides the blurb in the new games thread. Anyone here got a take? I think it looks really neat based on the trailers...

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Okay i went out and bought it. so far im having a great time.

the game reminds me of the coma 2 with a lot more player agency and a gothic sheen. the combat is a fittingly slower paced than the usual metroidvania, but the thing that really draws me in is the variety the player has. you have a array of craftable spells that grant a heap of buffs and abilities- damage bolts, summonable allies, and hp restoratives/shields. in addition you have a bundle of usual material world supplies, distractions, and weapons that you can toss and craft. the game has strong clock tower vibes, with the player being able to distract and hide tougher stalker type enemies, but they too can be felled with your weapons and spells if you dedicate yourself to combat and the ability to set up traps and distractions feels like a great way to get started on a tougher enemy. you can even put a little english on your combat- the strong windup attack carries you forward a bit, but if you swing the other direction at the last moment you lose the momentum, letting you not carry the attack past the enemy in front of you. the roguelike design of the game seems really appropriate- you can die and the game will shuffle rooms around floors and rez the enemies, but your plot progression items and major equipment are all saved so death doesnt feel too stinging, and you permanently up your stats with enemy drops.

the game has a haunting mechanic where spells and enemies fill up a curse-o-meter, and as that jacks up you see the environment go from regular turn of the century spooky to silent hill meets castelvania style. getting cursed also gives you some benefits, however i wont spoil anything there. the game's mood is well set by the soundtrack, with some rooms being silent besides the creak of wood under footsteps, and others cranking up the weird reverb and screams and you enter weirder areas (although i particular loved a unusually goofy tune that plays for one of the characters).

im not terribly far in yet- i beat the first boss, and am getting into the next biome area (helpfully, the game tells you what items would be useful in the area im venturing into via a little shopping list). its been a great time so far, and my brief foray into the next area started with some terrified running and flailing. ive avoided any mention of the plot, but suffice to say its weird- if the great opening doesnt catch your eye, id be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

ImpAtom posted:

Is it jumpscare heavy at all or more unsettling/creepy?

id say more gloomy and horror themed than outright scary or creepy. there's definitely a few that could be classified jump scares but since theres a curse world essentially you always know theres gonna be things messing with you environmentally in that version. a character actually addresses the issue of the design of the "horror house" in what i thought was a neat conversation as well. on a gameplay level you tend to have lots of options available and the difficulty seems to be more along the lines of being overwhelmed by a combat encounter, either through being outmatched or having more company than you thought, versus a "weighing of the resources" type of tension.