Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I thought F.E.A.R. was scary as gently caress. Then again, I also thought The Ring and The Grudge were also scary as gently caress (the first time you watch them). I think you have to already have a pre-disposed fear of small Japanese girls with hair covering their face in order to find F.E.A.R. scary. People have said that it's not scary because you can't be 'hurt' during the scary bits, which makes absolutely zero sense to me. The welfare of my virtual avatar is not a factor in whether I find something scary. Using that logic, a movie could never be scary.

In my opinion, something becomes scary when it suspends your disbelief effectively enough that your subconscious starts to consider what you're seeing to be an actual threat. A small part of you believes that little girl is going to come out of the TV and brutally kill you. Like the moment when you turn off a scary game or movie and suddenly find yourself sitting in the dark, and start to feel fear for no logical reason. Or maybe another explanation is you have to be capable of using your imagination and placing yourself in a character's situation. Why is the beginning segment of Silent Hill scary as a motherfucker? Why when I get to the school and start hearing these awful sounds do I feel this overwhelming feeling of dread and desire to turn the game off and forget about it?

I dunno, just thinking aloud. I've always been interested in why some people find a thing to be scary, and others can't even comprehend how it can be scary. Another example for me: Nemesis, from Resident Evil 3. Probably one of the scariest dudes of all time in my opinion.

Hakkesshu posted:

You wouldn't think so at first glance, but the moment where you enter a new area and the music changes is genuinely tense.

The sound design in King's Field is just utterly phenomenal. When I was a kid, the sound the termites would make would paralyze me with fear. I would hear it and have to pause the game to collect myself. Going into the Termite's Nest was like a loving heart-pounding nightmare. Even today I feel extreme unease when dealing with the Termites, and a real jolt of fear if one of them bites me, because that sound is freaky as poo poo too. I had a similar reaction to the spiders in Thief. Holy gently caress that sound.

King's Field has such crazy enemy design. Each new enemy you face you think to yourself "What the gently caress is that?" I had a similar experience in Dark Souls. Sadly, Dark Souls 2 didn't have very many batshit crazy lookin' enemies, mostly just humanoid types.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Also, the first Half-Life is a better game and scarier/more atmospheric than the sequel.

I dunno man, other than a handful of situations you were basically a walking god dealing death to all that oppose you. It's kind of a major theme of the game and something the narrative comments on. I don't think they set out to make Half-Life 1 into a scary game at all. Half-Life 2 on the other hand was obviously intended to scare you.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Whoa whoa whoa, there are people that don't like Black Mesa Source? That poo poo was goddamned incredible. So many wonderful little details. I was absolutely blown away by the quality and it is all entirely free. The absolute worst part about Black Mesa Source was that it eventually ended. I cannot give it enough praise. Just download it already it is free.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh yeah I forgot I had some tweak that made the soldiers less accurate and have a lower response time, more in line with what a human is reasonably capable of.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've screamed at games before. Most notably, in my opinion, situations involving Mr. X in Resident Evil 2 and then Nemesis in Resident Evil 3 who was essentially the same thing as Mr. X only even more relentless. Something about those fuckers really freaked me out.

Silent Hill 1 really got to me as well. I knew from the very first scary sequence despite dinky pass PSX graphics that I was in for something special.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 5, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ammo is scarce as gently caress if you are playing Resident Evil 1: Director's Cut and you pick Chris. One of the most difficult games I've ever played. I still never bothered to beat it, it was just too hard.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The important thing is that NeoSeeker's posts make sense to him.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Other than a few missteps, I thought the Silent Hill movie was excellent. I really enjoyed it, though I have an innate fear of evil little girls with hair covering their faces. When I read that Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro were teaming up, my first instinct was pure joy at Hideo Kojima who I love unconditionally. My second response was "which del Toro is this again?" so off to IMDB I went. What horror films has this man been involved in? From what is listed there I have seen the following:

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - Just really not that good. I don't remember much.
Mama - Really loving bad. I have a pretty high tolerance for a movie before I will outright call it bad but drat. The commercials were way scarier than the movie.

I would loving love to see some transcripts of conversations between del Toro and Kojima.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I would love having this. Most of the time I try not to play too many horror games because I don't want to be desensitized to the genre. I worry if I go back to play old horror games that I enjoyed as a kid that "What if I'm not scared by it anymore and it ruins my memory of it?" Luckily, if I turn the lights off and play them only at night by myself, I can usually still get into it. I still had to stop and take a break from Silent Hill my last time going through it. Do you play these games with the lights on or off?

Eternal Darkness is a great atmospheric horror game that isn't scary at all.

I've found that if a game scares you as a child, you will generally carry that fear as an adult. I'm looking at you, Termites in King's Field. Or Krakens in King's Field. Basically every single enemy in King's Field is terrifying to me, except the piranha plants, those just look goofy and make a goofy rear end sound.

I will also maintain a lifelong fear of the spiders in Thief 1 and 2. If I didn't know exactly how to avoid them, the spiders in Resident Evil 2 would also count despite their brief appearance.

I wanna meet the stone-cold motherfucker who does not freak out when first confronted by Crimson Heads in REmake.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 14, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I had a sort of emergent jump scare the other day while playing Fallout: New Vegas. I decided to try and sneak north from Goodsprings through deathclaw territory in order to get to New Vegas faster. I spent several minutes slowly inching my way through the hills, nothing in sight at all. Then, out of nowhere, my stealth is broken and [DANGER] is flashing at the top of the screen. I start to look around and suddenly my entire vision is obscured by a weird shape. My brain didn't instantly register what it was. It turned out to be the bottom half of a massive deathclaw because I wasn't looking up enough to see the head. Scared the heck out of me one split-second later when I realized what was happening.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
"Why didn't they just leave?" is a question that must not be asked of horror.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There's a puzzle in the beginning of SH3, possibly the first one, that requires fairly extensive knowledge of Shakespeare in order to complete on Hard. I would like to meet the man who completed Hard mode without a guide.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cardiovorax posted:

I... don't think I remember that? The PS2 controller did not have the capability to tell whether you were pressing a button "hard" or just at all. Maybe you're confusing something there?

Someone never played Metal Gear Solid 2 :colbert:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

I've never heard of anyone not liking Twin Snakes

They exist. When they point out the reasons it sucks, they end up being exactly the same reasons why I think it owns (missle kickflip, for instance, my god that was loving awesome)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
As far as I'm concerned Kojima is the person I trust most to make a really great Silent Hill game. Who else could pull it off nowadays?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Hello Horror Game thread. I recently acquired a copy of Scratches: Director's Cut through this utterly amazing Arctic Bundle. Anyways, I played through this already years ago and it was loving terrible. There were two times I got scared though, I will admit that.

Anyways I don't want this and I figured someone here might get some enjoyment out of it. First person to quote this and give a short blurb as to why they enjoy horror games in particular, in addition to their steam ID, will receive a key for Scratches: Director's Cut.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I like horror games because I enjoy feeling incredibly and horribly alone especially when I am genuinely alone in my apartment, it makes me realise the world is a big horrible place and I'm a tiny unimportant fragment. steamid: snapperiffic

Well said, sir. Invite sent!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Don't think I ever heard anyone in this thread talk about Lucius. Anyone comment on it? I mean, it can't be worse than Scratches can it?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Here's what was missing from that Silent Hills trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2ksIfv8QCg

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I feel like aspects of Assassin's Creed multiplayer could be used in a Thing-type multiplayer scenario.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You now play as Freddy

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The fact that it scares anyone at all makes it 90% better than most indie horror.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That's why I can't wait for Kojima to do it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I've never played a Resident Evil game, outside of the PC demo of 1, but I keep hearing a lot about RE 4. Would that be a good one to start with? The HD remake is up on Steam, and I'm thinking of getting it.

You could also wait for the HD REmake coming to Steam pretty soon. It's probably one of the best, highest quality games I've ever played.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
At the time of its release, everyone talked about how scary Resident Evil 1 was. It was always some variation of "Man Resident Evil scared the poo poo out of me when those dogs jumped through the window!" Then in REmake, they mess with your expectations a bit during that part... It was loving brilliant.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Here's what you need to know going into Resident Evil 4you don't really need to know this stuff, but if you want to know the only relevant things left, here they are!:

Leon Kennedy once survived a zombie outbreak. The details are unnecessary but needless to say he kicked a lot of rear end doing it. Notable characters during Resident Evil 2: Claire Redfield, Chris's sister. Sherry Birkin, the daughter of the main bad guy in Resident Evil 2, who was only a little girl at the time. And Ada Wong, mysterious government agent in a sexy red dress that Leon wants to bang. Ada betrays Leon and falls off a catwalk near the end of the game but it's implied that Leon would have banged her anyway.

That's pretty much it. Every other plot device is tossed aside.

edit: vv Except that one. Wesker is a guy from the first game who is a bad guy. He has superpowers now because of a virus.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 1, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zombie Samurai posted:

RE4 was the first Resident Evil I ever played, knowing nothing about anything in the entire series, and it's one of my top 10 games of all time.

Well then you don't know what's relevant and what's not then do you? :colbert: Still, you're right, the way the game is presented it doesn't really require you to know anything about the previous games other than there were zombies.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Oh yeah if you like Resident Evil you might want to check out the animated movies they've been doing. They feel like extended cutscenes of the games, and that's a good thing. Certainly better than whatever Paul W.S. Anderson is cooking up.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
AVP's first marine level scared the gently caress out of me and there wasn't even a single thing that could hurt you. The whole time you were waiting for a scare that never came. It was brilliant.

Sharzak posted:

God that game owned so hard. Well balanced (on servers that took certain weapons out) 3-way asymmetrical multiplayer like that has never been done since as far as I know, and you certainly don't see FPS campaign modes like that anymore. You had ten or so hours each of the Marine, basically a survival horror experience, the Alien, the typical survival horror experience but backward, and the Predator which was essentially a spaghetti Western revenge drama but with wristblades and dreadlocks instead of six-shooters and ten-gallon hats.

Believe it or not, the newest AVP had really fun multiplayer.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Alls I know is, seein that chick's skin get ripped off was fuckin' crazy.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

oriongates posted:

So, I'm desperate for semi-decent horror and I just ran across ObsCure. Before I decide whether or not to try it out can anyone tell me...is there anything to recommend it. The trailers make it clear it's going to have some very bad dialogue but if the actual gameplay is decent I can get past that.

I think it's a pretty decent game. Reminiscent of oldschool Resident Evil mixed with The Faculty. If I were you I'd find an LP and watch 5 or so minutes during a gameplay segment and see if you can dig it. I can't wait for the inevitable argument where someone pointlessly tries to convince people whether or not a game is horror.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kulkasha posted:

So how long until it's shut down for infringement?

Bizarrely, nobody pursues infringement on mobile games. For example, there's an exact clone of Mario Kart Wii on iOS called Mole Kart. I think if you were to add it all up, 80% of all iOS games would be clones of other games.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Doctor Bishop posted:

One very big thing to note: I dunno how the Wii version controls at all, but if you're expecting a game with smooth third-person-shooter-type controls, avoid the PC version of RE4 at all costs. The controls are clunkier and more annoying than a thousand steel dog turds.

New HD version fixes this. Controls are fine now.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Resident Evil 4 also features tank controls that are so good, people don't even realize that they are tank controls.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've been replaying RE4 and something terrible happened. I got to the first area with dudes in it, and I spent too long looking around and eventually the bell rang and they all went inside the church. I couldn't believe it! My memory of this section was finding the shotgun and getting brutally loving murdered by a massive onslaught of fuckers who I could barely hold off until the bell rang and they all went inside the church. It was a great intro to the game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Massive exposure, ignorant audience would be my guess

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I wonder if having a demo helped the sales of Evil Within. I'm surprised these games that require DX11 are selling as well as they are. I'm still stuck in DX9 land, with a GTX 275 that runs everything beautifully but can't run DX11.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Mr. X was before Nemesis. A Proto-Nemesis if you will. If you say you didn't jump even a little when that dude burst through the wall, you are lying.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Butt Ghost posted:

Also I think the whole FNAF series might have been thought out ahead of time.

I doubt the creator could have possibly predicted the success of the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Can't wait to see fresh reactions to Crimson Heads :allears: