Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been having fun reading through a bunch of this old thread (not to mention the yearly month of game writeups :)). I mostly enjoy a light to moderate level of spooks in my own games, playing through Alan Wake right now (which I'd skipped back in the day) and that seems to hit just about right. Plenty of atmosphere, but mostly leaning towards unsettling more than out-and-out horrifying. Good stuff for the leadup to :spooky: day.

e: by far the scariest thing is how bad I am at the game :ghost:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Skyscraper posted:

our long national nightmare won't be over until we have a writer to replace Lovecraft and a horror franchise to replace Silent Hill

Garth Marenghi, Darkplace: The Game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

How tough is Bloodborne anyway? I've been curious about it for a while but kinda lumped it in with the Dark Souls-esque "too tough to bother with" crowd, but that could easily be a wrong impression that just got stuck in my head. If it has a good range of selectable difficulties I'd actually look at picking it up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

no difficulty selection

Ok I'm out again, thanks all :sweatdrop:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'll look at it if I can get it down to maybe :fivecbux: but I am unbelievably bad at that sort of game so I don't want to gamble too much on it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Some people could barely hold a controller before playing Souls games and end up playing through all of them.

Those posers are just pretending to be Bad At Games, I'm the real deal :c00lbert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I liked getting an achievement for one of the Ada sections in RE2make, getting through without firing a shot. I didn't even know it was a thing, I'd just gotten tired of fighting and dying so just ran around juking everything, then it popped up at the end and :hellyeah: I'm a badass

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh cool, how confirmed is RE3Make? (e: R3make? REmak3?) From what I'm seeing, likely but not completely confirmed?
I hope it's real, RE2 took a game I couldn't play even back in the day and made it a solid second best in the series, I never even touched 3 so I'd love to see it in a style I can actually enjoy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Black August posted:

I am pretty sure it has just been 100% confirmed with the teaser poster?

That's fair, I did a quick google and everything I found still looked like it was in the "leaked but not confirmed" stage.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

1. D-Dog
2. Every other dog

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

drkeiscool posted:

why the hell would you put microtransactions in a horror game like outlast

They've switched genres to metahorror

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Black August posted:

Tyrant got a hat. I want Nemesis to have a hat too. Like, I dunno. A stovepipe hat. Or a baseball cap.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Top hat and monocle?

All these and more should be randomly selected every run.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

al-azad posted:

I want train horror! There's something romantic about cross country train travel but you're also in a narrow metal tube, on a direct line, going one direction, through sometimes hostile terrain.

Boy do I have the game for you

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

How do folks feel about the Call of Cthulhu game? It's $12 on the winter PSN sale (and probably for other systems too), not too bad a price to try it out at.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Haha, that range of mediocre to decent reviews is kinda what I expected. I'll give it a shot for that price.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zushio posted:

For some reason I assumed you were all talking about Dark Corners of The Earth.

Fortunately not, I don't think 2005 technology could've handled this many fish guts.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I watched someone play through the entirety of it and I think it's categorically worse than Sinking City, so for anyone interested in something Lovecraft-flavoured, I strongly suggest getting that instead.

I don't think I was consciously aware of what that one is, definitely adding it to my list if I can get it a bit cheaper. My research on Call of Cthulhu basically went as far as looking at the winter sale games and thinking "ooh, neat".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I have a vague memory of someone recommending me that one but lost track of it because of the obtuse name. Mountains of Madness is basically what I like about Lovecraftian stuff and it is only another 5 bucks.....

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't know who to believe!!! :sweatdrop:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh yeah, that helps. And I'm not really tied to wanting anything in particular, I saw that book mentioned and it's just the one that best captures the creepy mood I like. I'll give this game a shot too, why not.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I always imagine SS13 Changeling rounds being like The Thing except if clowns were just wandering around pestering Kurt Russel, and Wilford Brimley hosed off to turn the station into some sort of functioning nuclear factor rather than building a tiny ship

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Some say he's out there wandering just off screen to this day, looking for his hat

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's neat but yeah, for better or worse it's pretty much exactly what you'd imagine a VN to be surrounding its gimmick. I'm not sure I would've gotten through it on my own but it was fun as part of a rowdy drunk stream online.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I'm just going to mention this nigh perfect trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_8_TkVorMU

Oh my god

Hey kid...you wanna play some cool videogames?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I thought Subnautica's opening moments had an unexpectedly tense use of body horror, when the fire extinguisher fused with my body and I flailed around helplessly until the tutorial fire killed me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly, after getting through the tutorial glitch I mentioned, I dropped Subnautica like a hot potato the instant I realized it had resource/crafting mechanics. I just want to see the spooky ocean monsters everyone talks about, not deal with that poo poo :arghfist::saddowns:
Maybe I'll try again someday, but after No Man's Sky I've just had an instant NOPE reaction to that stuff.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

World of Garfield

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:aaaaa::respek::catstare:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah I'm a little worried about that. I was super hyped since RE2 was the only old-school game I tried in the series, so this one was gonna be pretty much a complete unknown following off a great reimagining. But I don't want to deal with monsters sneaking into my safe areas :arghfist::saddowns:

e:

Night10194 posted:

They already said the safe rooms thing was a misunderstanding and Nemmy will be keeping out of the actual safe/save areas.

:sweatdrop:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 7, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You'll technically be safe, but he'll sneak in and swap your main file for the one where you were at 10% health with 3 bullets left

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well shoot. I never played 3 back in the day so I was just hoping for basically more RE2make goodness.

Still, number go up so I can also hope for this:

Chas McGill posted:

I just want Resi 4 in the new engine at this point.

Only change I'd make, stick closer to the RE4 character model, RE2make Leon somehow looked like a boy band dropout.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Well, RE4 Leon was 6 years older and probably a lot more jaded.

That I can understand. Just something about his RE2make model looked off to me, in a weirdly goofy way.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bogart posted:

Resident Evil 4 is still one of the best games of all time.

1000%
I played through it again last year, it just needs a new coat of paint and updated controls. I'll be very sad if they remake it and don't stick close enough to use the original voice acting.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Leonardo DiKennedy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RE4make but with Dino Crisis as the tie-in bonus content.
All of Leon's contextual attacks remain intact.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

She still doesn't hold a candle to Chris Redfield, who is all that, but also a former ace pilot on top of it all. Joined at 17, went into retirement around 23, became leader of a special forces team by 24. That kind of career makes me feel bad about myself.

I made my peace a long time ago with the knowledge that I'll never be able to punch a boulder. Some people can, and that's okay. :unsmith:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I really need to play that again. I remember thinking at the time that it felt like the devs suddenly got cold feet and leaned hard into jumping back into more familiar modern RE territory after all the creepy house and swamp stuff.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Just in time to update REm4ke for the modern day.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

I'm trying to find a game which was posted itt, it was ostensibly about driving a train but the background was some horrific plague/catastrophy ?

I think this was it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

We evolved in a world where nothing big enough to meaningfully harm us is ever going to swoop down on us from above.

Cardiovorax posted:

I've managed to sneak up on some surprisingly skittish animals just by coming in from above them.

:thunk: