Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Dienes posted:

Get a PS4 just to play Bloodborne and Horizon Zero Dawn and it'll be worth it.

Oh yeah, I heard that one is good too! But no, I'll just miss out until the PS4 emulator comes out in like 2030 or whatever.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

When’s that Ito tribute game due? All it says is “2019”, which seems optimistic. I’m expecting something like The Daily Cthonicle, more of a horror board game than anything.

2020. Also, it's better than that! You can see John Wolfe play it on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

When’s that Ito tribute game due? All it says is “2019”, which seems optimistic. I’m expecting something like The Daily Cthonicle, more of a horror board game than anything.

It's a solo dev so other than "2020" I don't think we'll see a definite release date until shortly before it comes out. In addition to John Wolfe's videos, I'm pretty sure there's a demo for it on itch.io somewhere

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

MockingQuantum posted:

It's a solo dev so other than "2020" I don't think we'll see a definite release date until shortly before it comes out. In addition to John Wolfe's videos, I'm pretty sure there's a demo for it on itch.io somewhere

https://panstasz.itch.io/world-of-horror

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Thank you for the assist on my lazy phoneposting!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

How tough is Bloodborne anyway? I've been curious about it for a while but kinda lumped it in with the Dark Souls-esque "too tough to bother with" crowd, but that could easily be a wrong impression that just got stuck in my head. If it has a good range of selectable difficulties I'd actually look at picking it up.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It has 1 difficulty like all the others pretty much, but it's also a very different feeling game in that your mobility never changes in Bloodborne and it's very high, so it's much more of a dodge game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's harder than at least a couple of the Souls games and no there's no difficulty selection.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It’s a Souls game through and through but it might be friendlier because the mechanisms encourage aggression over defense so the game’s pacing is more combat based over Souls which are really about tricks and traps.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

no difficulty selection

Ok I'm out again, thanks all :sweatdrop:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I found it the easiest of the Souls games I played but I think that's because the high speed, aggressive style really clicked with me.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It is absolutely worth trying. Actual fighting games are way harder to learn. Just lean into using your pebbles, and if you need a little bit of a crutch, the windup attack for the halberd form of the axe you can get at the start stuns / knocks over basically everything

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'll look at it if I can get it down to maybe :fivecbux: but I am unbelievably bad at that sort of game so I don't want to gamble too much on it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Disposable Scud posted:

I keep thinking about reinstalling The Stinking City

I remember a time where games came with scratch n sniff packs and you're supposed to smell all the horrible chemicals when you reach certain points of the game

It never caught on (for obvious reasons) but a horror game called the stinking city should definitely have those sold with the physical copy as gimmicks

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Everyone constantly tells me that if you are over level 75 at the endgame of a Souls/Bloodborne you are playing the game wrong, completely outside the designer's intentions and in the least fun way possible.

Basically the group think demands you do chip damage to everything and bosses will kill you in one or two hits. Otherwise you are cheating yourself out of the true experience. Also never sell any items or use the items that give you a tonne of experience. They should be saved for a pile of weapons you will never use and the single level of experience they provide (less then half a level later, even with the most valuable ones) is again, cheating the game and not the way the designers intended you to play. Oh, and only kill every enemy once, ever. Unless you are grinding for a drop (NEVER GRIND FOR EXPERIECE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES). If you die and have to redo an area just run past everything all the time. If you don't, you might gain an extra level and have cheated yourself and the game. Because that's the way it was designed you see.

This is obviously bullshit.

Something tells me a 10 minute slog that you have to repeat 10 times because you make a single mistake for every single boss fight might not actually be the way the game was designed. My first run through Bloodborne took about 50 hours to do nearly everything. My friend accused me of using guides and rushing through the game without experience it. I had a more through understanding of the plot than he did. The only difference is he took about 100 hours for his first run. More than 30 hours of it was him hammering his head against various bosses that killed him in 2 hits for hours on end. That is if he even made it to the boss, as dashing past everything for the entire game meant that even regular enemies now killed him almost as quickly as the boss. Typically he would be down to his very last healing items just making it to the boss because he literally had a dozen enemies chasing him across the map, all of which could 2-shot. Again, this is supposedly the only correct way to play.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 15, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

you seem troubled, friend

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I guess Sekiro was designed to shut those kinds of people up as that is very much a game where you're supposed to truly "git gud."

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I have bad friends that considering it a personal insult when I don't just struggle endlessly with the game. It is also the prevailing style of advice you see online regarding them. It is frustrating and I tend to get a little verbose, my apologies.

My actual point is you shouldn't let people shame you or bully you in to playing the game in a super restrictive manner. If you want to, feel free. It is certainly possible. But every Souls game essentially has pick your own difficulty based on how much you utilize the resources presented to you. It's the same problem as the Undertale fanbase, who have a history of attacking people online for even mentioning taking the "evil" route through the game.

Edit: Sekiro is different beast entirely, cannot comment on it really as I haven't played much.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ok I'm out again, thanks all :sweatdrop:

Some people could barely hold a controller before playing Souls games and end up playing through all of them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Some people could barely hold a controller before playing Souls games and end up playing through all of them.

Those posers are just pretending to be Bad At Games, I'm the real deal :c00lbert:

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I’ve always felt that aside from DS2, the souls games kind of had a self adjusting difficulty. If you’re dying a lot, you’ll naturally gain levels if you don’t run pst everything. Eventually this will help you overcome whatever hurdle you were at. I guess this also doesn’t apply to Sekiro as much.

Switching subjects to World of Horror, something about the audio and visual style of that game just freaks me the gently caress out. It gives me mild anxiety even though the gameplay is mostly just dice rolling (based on the demos). It’s one of my most hyped horror games at the moment.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you already do not like Souls games, then Bloodborne probably isn't different enough that you would enjoy it. It does play very differently from Dark Souls, but in a pacing/tempo way that would only really be noticeable to people who are already into the series anyway. By and large, the gameplay is the same and it's probably one of the more difficult titles due to the absence of a blocking mechanic.

quote:

I have bad friends that considering it a personal insult when I don't just struggle endlessly with the game. It is also the prevailing style of advice you see online regarding them. It is frustrating and I tend to get a little verbose, my apologies.
Your friends kind of suck and give bad advice. The right way to play a game is the way that you think is fun.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Skyscraper posted:

sorry dogstile i was wrong, our long national nightmare will never be over

Bloodborne really does sound amazing, I'd really like if I didn't have to buy a PS4 to experience it. I never finished any of the souls games as they were just tedious to learn and the plot payoff didn't seem worth it, but every time I hear about Bloodborne, it really sounds like it's worth the time investment. Just the part about what the Insight stat alone ends up revealing is really cool.

Get a month of PlayStation Now and play it on PC? Unless they cycle games off the service it's on there

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Len posted:

Get a month of PlayStation Now and play it on PC? Unless they cycle games off the service it's on there

It still shows on the list so should still be there!

Also cheers for the heads up on this, I've got a few people who I've gone on about Bloodborne to in the past who I can now convince to play it without a PS4.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lifeglug posted:

It still shows on the list so should still be there!

Also cheers for the heads up on this, I've got a few people who I've gone on about Bloodborne to in the past who I can now convince to play it without a PS4.

Last I heard you needed a good connection or it shits the bed but yeah it's been up for a year+

But really they should just buy a PS4, the unambiguously best console this generation, and enjoy the library of exclusives

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hey I've got something to say.

Souls games aren't that hard.

Okay for real though, the difficulty thing with soulsborne games is super overstated. Yes, they are demanding and punishing but when you get down to it everything in it is pretty straightforward and learnable. I think a lot of people hear "these games are really hard!!!" Then they play, die really quick a few times and decide "oh no I can't do this this is impossible" then give up. They're really not that hard though, just don't get discouraged and try a different approach. Bloodborne is good btw I recommend it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Hey, you forgot your :goonsay: there.

I mean, yeah, Souls games aren't exactly the most difficult thing on the market, but what that actually means really depends on how many action-RPG type games you play in general. It's not like everyone can be an ultranerd who has already spent 500+ hours playing many other games just like it.

Only most of us here in this thread. :v:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Souls levels are rarely that hard, a lot of it just being learning where things are, but the bosses can absolutely stomp you in the dick over and over sometimes, you only need to look at Orphan of Kos for that.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

To be clear that wasn't intended as a pissing contest thing I'm just saying people get scared off by that series and I don't think they should because the difficulty is a little overstated. It's more unforgiving than difficult. It punishes mistakes harshly but the things it asks of you aren't that intense.

Except Sekiro.

That game is pretty hard.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Souls games really aren't that hard. Every "bad gamer" that I know IRL has completed them.They do a great job with the aforementioned self adjusting difficulty. A lot of my friends got through tough sections by farming up a little bit before the bosses that were giving them trouble and they died a couple of times on each boss, but they did complete it.

The series is perfectly fine for people to play unless you're absolutely new to games, in which case i'd suggest starting with Mario like the rest of us, because the Mario series actually does a really good job teaching people how to move in games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Glagha posted:

It's more unforgiving than difficult. It punishes mistakes harshly but the things it asks of you aren't that intense.
This isn't wrong, but it also seems a bit like hairsplitting, because to most people, those are really pretty much the same thing.

I mean, by that standard, no game is really difficult. They're supposed to be essentially playable by anyone who buys them, not a college degree.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Cardiovorax posted:

This isn't wrong, but it also seems a bit like hairsplitting, because to most people, those are really pretty much the same thing.

I mean, by that standard, no game is really difficult. They're supposed to be essentially playable by anyone who buys them, not a college degree.

Yeah, but the point I'm getting at is that everyone talks about how hard the games are and people think "There's no way I can do it" but like some above poster said, lots of people who are not particularly skilled and don't play a lot of games like that still manage to work their way through it. It's not a game for everyone, sure, because you have to be the kind of person who is okay with maybe failing to kill a boss 10 times in a row while you learn how to fight it, but it's still a pretty low skill floor game that is just a matter of persistence rather than some high level gamesmanship. I'm just saying don't be discouraged by the "prepare to die!" poo poo and give it a shot, you'll probably do fine if you're the kind of person who doesn't mind setbacks.

Edit: Again, except Sekiro. That game really expects you to master the combat in that game and you can't grind so that one is probably likely to be a hard roadblock for some people.

Edit 2: Basically I'm saying it's like shooting a 3 pointer. You don't need to be good at basketball to do it, or even learn how to play. If you can physically huck the ball over there it'll go on eventually.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 15, 2019

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Glagha posted:

Yeah, but the point I'm getting at is that everyone talks about how hard the games are and people think "There's no way I can do it" but like some above poster said, lots of people who are not particularly skilled and don't play a lot of games like that still manage to work their way through it. It's not a game for everyone, sure, because you have to be the kind of person who is okay with maybe failing to kill a boss 10 times in a row while you learn how to fight it, but it's still a pretty low skill floor game that is just a matter of persistence rather than some high level gamesmanship. I'm just saying don't be discouraged by the "prepare to die!" poo poo and give it a shot, you'll probably do fine if you're the kind of person who doesn't mind setbacks.

Edit: Again, except Sekiro. That game really expects you to master the combat in that game and you can't grind so that one is probably likely to be a hard roadblock for some people.

It's less 'There's no way I can do it' and more 'I don't have time for banging my head against a wall'. I say this as someone who has beaten all but one of the main 'Souls/Bloodborne titles - I realized halfway through DS3 that I just didn't feel like having a loop where I made incremental progress over and over again, rather than a game where I actually made progress. So these days when a game is described as a souls-like, I tend to not really care a lot about it. I'd rather play a game that has actually 30 hours of content, rather than a game that has 30 except half of that is re-playing the same areas again because you died.

Like, yeah, the game isn't super tough, but it is designed to kill you again and again, until you learn the patterns and get your reflexes up to snuff.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I appreciate the "you can do it" attitude and I agree that really anyone can get through a Souls game if they're willing to just stick with it. It doesn't ask anything that not basically anyone can do.

That said, one thing I found really funny about the Sekiro thread was that the people who had the most problems with the game were nearly always long-time Souls players, because even though Sekiro is a FROMsoft game, it is not a Souls game at all and will punish you hard for trying to play it like it is one. The people who got into it fresh and approached it on its own terms from the get-go nearly seemed to have a much easier time of it.

Not making fun of you with that or anything, I just think it shows off really well how much of the perception of Soulslike difficulty has to do with how used to the playstyle someone is. That whole "incremental progress" thing can get really draining.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Cardiovorax posted:

I appreciate the "you can do it" attitude and I agree that really anyone can get through a Souls game if they're willing to just stick with it. It doesn't ask anything that not basically anyone can do.

That said, one thing I found really funny about the Sekiro thread was that the people who had the most problems with the game were nearly always long-time Souls players, because even though Sekiro is a FROMsoft game, it is not a Souls game at all and will punish you hard for trying to play it like it is one. The people who got into it fresh and approached it on its own terms from the get-go nearly seemed to have a much easier time of it.

Not making fun of you with that or anything, I just think it shows off really well how much of the perception of Soulslike difficulty has to do with how used to the playstyle someone is. That whole "incremental progress" thing can get really draining.

Oh no, no offense taken. I actually didn't have that much trouble with Sekiro myself but I recognize that that game has a different approach that can be really rough on some people. Like, specifically the final boss which was a real dealbreaker for a lot of people definitely demands you keep on his rear end constantly, parry everything and don't let up, for a relatively long period of time because of the way posture in that game works. If you let up on him, he recovers and you lose progress. I can absolutely see how that would be a hard barrier than you can't just brute force through. Either you have the reflexes and timing to read all his attacks, parry everything, dodge successfully, an keep attacking for the entirety of the fight, or you don't. There's no way to grind through it and his difficulty comes from more than just learning how to dodge X attack.

Anyway I'm gonna stop talking about Souls games now. Bloodborne is good, I recommend it, maybe try it even if the difficulty scares you a little. It's a good gothic/cosmic horror game.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Glagha posted:

Okay for real though, the difficulty thing with soulsborne games is super overstated. Yes, they are demanding and punishing but when you get down to it everything in it is pretty straightforward and learnable. I think a lot of people hear "these games are really hard!!!" Then they play, die really quick a few times and decide "oh no I can't do this this is impossible" then give up. They're really not that hard though, just don't get discouraged and try a different approach. Bloodborne is good btw I recommend it.

Their difficulty probably isn't any worse than whatever Ninja Gaiden: Super Hard Edition from the 2000's but I know I quit Dark Souls right at some early graveyard when I was trying to grind on some graveyard and the game also decided I should have to pay to upkeep my weapons, because why should I be able to learn or grind for free? Why would you want to let someone get the hang of your game when they could be paying taxes?

Morpheus posted:

It's less 'There's no way I can do it' and more 'I don't have time for banging my head against a wall'.

Absolutely this, yeah.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

Their difficulty probably isn't any worse than whatever Ninja Gaiden: Super Hard Edition from the 2000's but I know I quit Dark Souls right at some early graveyard when I was trying to grind on some graveyard and the game also decided I should have to pay to upkeep my weapons, because why should I be able to learn or grind for free? Why would you want to let someone get the hang of your game when they could be paying taxes?

lol, this was something that got me the first time I played DS, except I went way further in that direction before thinking "Okay, is it actually supposed to be THIS hard?" Going to all the skellymans in the graveyard is the wrong direction early on, there's another path that sets you on the proper progression route to the Undead Burg, where you're fighting the dumpy 1-2 hit kill hollow guys and stuff as you should be. Also repair costs are like next to nothing if I remember right though.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah repairs are so cheap in that game and you have to do it so infrequently that it's basically completely forgettable, and the skeletons are a meat wall to discourage you from going that way early on because they beat your rear end.

Edit: gently caress why am I talking about dark souls again.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Yardbomb posted:

lol, this was something that got me the first time I played DS, except I went way further in that direction before thinking "Okay, is it actually supposed to be THIS hard?"

I asked the same! But everything people say about it is that yes, it is ALWAYS supposed to be THAT HARD and you're bad if you don't like that.

Glagha posted:

Yeah repairs are so cheap in that game and you have to do it so infrequently that it's basically completely forgettable, and the skeletons are a meat wall to discourage you from going that way early on because they beat your rear end.

Those repairs were like 80% of my take of the 1-2 skeletons that I was able to kill before getting beaten and running away, which was my optimal grind strategy.

Anyway, fine, will try again, 1-2 hits sounds way reasonable.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

I asked the same! But everything people say about it is that yes, it is ALWAYS supposed to be THAT HARD and you're bad if you don't like that.
Okay, talking straight here, the Dark Souls fandom can be ridiculously stupid and full of itself, but I think you must have asked the wrong people or maybe not been precise enough about what you were talking about. Even when I started playing that game a mere few months after release, people were giving me advice like "don't go into that Firelink graveyard first thing, it will kick your rear end and you'll regret the everything."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Okay, talking straight here, the Dark Souls fandom can be ridiculously stupid and full of itself, but I think you must have asked the wrong people or maybe not been precise enough about what you were talking about. Even when I started playing that game a mere few months after release, people were giving me advice like "don't go into that Firelink graveyard first thing, it will kick your rear end and you'll regret the everything."

As annoying at that is, it's also something slightly I'm thankful for. Because the realization that all Gitting Gud gets you is a shifting goalpost, lead to me taking a second look at the STALKER Games. With a similar sounding fanbase trying to scare you off from circle strafing mutants to death with "This isn't DOOM! It's a game with REALISTIC gunplay!" Nah, just buckshot a burer so hard their corpse locks upright in the middle of their bullet deflect animation. Then on to taking the plunge for Monster Hunter World after being scared off by the rep at first, etc.

Nobody gets internet cred by admitting Estus flasks are great, though. That's why not even SA is safe from people rolling into Children's Nintendo Game Breath Of The Wild thread and lamenting "Why is it pause to heal! That's so casual! BotW should be realtime healing like my :darksouls: "

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 16, 2019