Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Condemned 2 is great up until the part where you have to go through the house disarming C4. That's about when all the stupid poo poo other posters have mentioned start happening.

Nothing has managed to match the dread that the first game evoked in me during that one level where you're exploring the old farmhouse. The mall level with the mannequins gets an honorable mention as well. Honestly one of the favorite horror series of all time and I am SO MAD at them for loving it up so badly we'll never see a third game.

I actually bought a real life version of Ethan's shirt from C2 off someone on gamefaqs. It was a shameful time for me.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The Darkness 2 had some interesting scenes where you're a patient in an asylum.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Captain Gordon posted:

11 pages and no mention of Condemned. Shameful!

Condemned is incredible and Condemned 2 somehow managed to make a horror game multiplayer and have it actually work? Which I'm still convinced was some sort of witchcraft.

Condemned 2 does get really loving stupid near the end, to a level where another game in the series is pretty much never going to happen.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Ularg posted:

I'm 21, so that just makes it even more sad. :v:

I just generally feel uncomfortable with body horror and gore. But man oh man do I love really good atmosphere. Hell I'd love to work on creating a horror game one day. All of the small details placed in the environment and the audio.

Have you played Dishonored? Seems like a game you'd like.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I thought Dead Space 2 was an incredibly scary game. It basically took the concept of Alien, being stuck in a bubble with invincible, horrifying beast(s), and expanded it to an entire space station. One of my favorite horror game moments of all time is when you go through the residential area and can hear the people who had locked themselves in their homes in an attempt to stay safe, only for things to go terribly wrong in various ways. You don't actually see anything and I don't think anything even attacks you but just the implication and the setting really appealed to me. The actual gameplay itself isn't always that terrifying but I definitely appreciated the world-building.

Also, relevant Community clip re: cat scares: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvxDs7jGBHM

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 21, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

al-azad posted:

This is a cool idea. I always liked liches in D&D with their phylactery you have to hunt down. You could have an entire encounter where you're in a mansion or something being stalked by an immortal creature that can't be killed until you find whatever object it's tied to.

I always wonder how Deadly Premonition would have played out if the horror gameplay elements were actually good. Alan Wake was originally an open world game before the idea was scrapped and it would have played as an investigation during the day and nightmarish combat at night.

Speaking of Alan Wake, what did you guys think of that as a horror game? I actually thought it could be pretty drat scary at moments and being lost in the woods I think is an underutilized setting for horror. I grew up next to a big forest though so maybe it's ingrained into me in a way.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Huh, I guess I just had a completely different impression of Alan Wake than most of you. I actually loved the writing, it's been a long time since I played it so I can't remember what specifically about it appealed to me. I just remember being really happy with it. The combat could definitely get annoying at parts (crows :arghfist::mad:) but the combination of dodging and light management kept it pretty engaging.

American Nightmare I also liked to a certain extent but I got it for cheap on a steam sale. Don't think I would have been happy paying full price.

I would love to see another but I doubt it'll happen unfortunately.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

mr sad posted:

I'm surprised this thread hasn't spent more time talking about P.T./Silent Hills. I just heard about it on the Rooster Teeth podcast and spent the next twenty minutes reading about it. Even looking at still shots of the game had me creeped out.

Edit: Oh, I didn't read far back enough. It got some mentions. Still... I figured you all would be more excited for it. Is it because it's only had a teaser, and isn't a full game yet?

There actually is a PT thread which was quite active around when it came out. But yeah at this point there isn't that much more that can be said about it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mash posted:

I kind of had an idea that was the opposite of this. You create your slasher villian (maybe unlocking "classes" like demonic spirit or possessed doll) and go through levels offing stupid college kids and the local towns people. Essentially take the basic idea of that Naughty Bear game, mix it with a little Hitman and coat it with 80's horror movies and there ya go.

This would be cool if they gave you some sort of bonus system based on how gory and creative your kills were and how close you let them get to safety before offing them.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah I mean if it's not for you that's whatever but the prison section in Dark Descent was one of the most terrifying, anxiety inducing sequences in games for me simply because I knew there was something in there with me and all I could do was try and figure poo poo out as quickly as possible so it wouldn't cave my skull in.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Been watching a walkthrough of Until Dawn and had a quick question about a moment concerning Josh and Ashley I heard it's possible to save everyone but it looked like someone has to die to the saw blade, right? Is there a way to get them both out?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I liked Alan Wake a lot. I thought it really nailed the unsettling vibe of being lost, alone in the woods. Maybe it resonated more with me because I grew up right next to a huge forest though.

Personally I also thought the plot was really well done and engaging, although I know that's a divisive aspect of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Homework Explainer posted:

it's true. i just wrapped up a "save everyone" run and am working diligently to kill everyone via chapter replay. BIG, VAGUE SPOILER: one "saved" character gets a fate worse than death no matter what, though.

Well, not necessarily since his fate can be just normal death :haw: