Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
There has not been any suggestion of Silent Hills' progress, right? At this point early 2016 seems possible, maybe xmas 2015?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Right there with you. I own two copies of it, Desura and Steam, and yet I haven't even played night two yet. At the end of the first night I pulled the "gently caress it, both doors down" move to wait out the last hour. I'm too afraid of the second night onward because I know that won't really be an option unless I want to run out of power at the last minute and be faced with Freddy.

Even that tactic stops working on later days, since even if you've still got power Freddy will just go "gently caress you" and break into the room to deal with you personally.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Even that tactic stops working on later days, since even if you've still got power Freddy will just go "gently caress you" and break into the room to deal with you personally.

Isn't keeping the door closed when he appears near the only way to stop him from creeping in instantly? :confused:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
From what I've heard he'll only break in through the door if you keep both doors closed. I don't know if there's a hard limit on it or if it's random. But yeah, if he gets right outside the office you have to close whatever door he's by or else he'll come in at any moment, just like the rabbit and chicken.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

King Vidiot posted:

Seriously though there should be a game where it's a Friday the 13th-style supernatural slasher scenario, and you're up against a single tough villain who doesn't seem to be able to die. You can try anything to kill him, hammers, nail guns, handguns, knives, you name it, and nothing will work (maybe some things will slow him down or make him retreat). To finish the game you have to find the convoluted combination of MacGuffins that will stop him, which you discover by finding and talking to random people and reading handwritten notes or passages from books. The way to kill him will change for every new game.

I kind of had an idea that was the opposite of this. You create your slasher villian (maybe unlocking "classes" like demonic spirit or possessed doll) and go through levels offing stupid college kids and the local towns people. Essentially take the basic idea of that Naughty Bear game, mix it with a little Hitman and coat it with 80's horror movies and there ya go.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Mash posted:

I kind of had an idea that was the opposite of this. You create your slasher villian (maybe unlocking "classes" like demonic spirit or possessed doll) and go through levels offing stupid college kids and the local towns people. Essentially take the basic idea of that Naughty Bear game, mix it with a little Hitman and coat it with 80's horror movies and there ya go.

This would be cool if they gave you some sort of bonus system based on how gory and creative your kills were and how close you let them get to safety before offing them.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Manhunt is pretty much a slasher game

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

PantsBandit posted:

This would be cool if they gave you some sort of bonus system based on how gory and creative your kills were and how close you let them get to safety before offing them.

And at the end of each level, it should tally the score (think of Burnouts Crash mode where it does a recap of all the poo poo you destroyed) on how scary / gruesome it was.

Also like Hitman, you'd be able to drag the bodies around and hide them...

...or display them to the rest of your victims to show them what's good.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
I'm playing Rule Of Rose, I just stabbed a child to death with a fork and I have no idea what I'm doing or whats going on.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

I'm playing Rule Of Rose, I just stabbed a child to death with a fork and I have no idea what I'm doing or whats going on.
Congratulations, you're doing well. Keep going.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

The dog will lead you everywhere you need to go.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

0 rows returned posted:

The dog will lead you everywhere you need to go.

I found the 2 leaf clover key and I just saved in the cafeteria

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

It'll mostly all make sense in the end. My advice to you is just avoid all the enemies. Running away from enemies is exponentially easier than trying to fight them, the only exception to this rule is the fish imps, they're easier to fight because they'll wreck your poo poo if you try run past them. Also use the pipe in the first half of the game it has the most reach and the third hit will always knock enemies down. (If I remember right it also applies to some later weapons too.)

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Gotta say I'm liking the dog mechanic, especially since it works across more than one room and especially since there's more locked doors than a Silent Hill game

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
In case you're still interested, they got around to releasing Silent Hill: Anne's Story, which is what happened to Anne Cunningham the prison guard during Silent Hill: Downpour.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Rule of Rose has one of my favorite soundtracks. I still have the pre-order CD that came with it.

olblue
Nov 9, 2003

...lets go exploring!
Fallen Rib

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I just heard about this game called The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. It looks like some sort of spooky adventure game where you play a detective who can talk to the dead trying to find some kid who went missing.

It might not be jump scare type horror but judging by the gameplay video I have seen it definitely looks like just the thing I have been looking for after playing P.T. Just an atmospheric first person puzzle/exploration game with some occult H.P. Lovecraft stuff thrown in. Looks pretty awesome and comes out in September.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q_aNw4pTqc

preordered it based on that video - it looks amazing

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

olblue posted:

preordered it based on that video - it looks amazing

Ditto. I wasn't going to, but then I saw it was only 20 bucks and I couldn't resist. I'm amazed a $20 game is that pretty, too.

It's weird, Twin Peaks was mostly about the character interactions, but the game gives me a Twin peaks vibe. Though I guess any whiff of "FBI Agent investigating occult nonsense in a dense forest" will trigger that to some degree.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Gotta say I'm liking the dog mechanic, especially since it works across more than one room and especially since there's more locked doors than a Silent Hill game

IIRC, you should always keep one spare healing item, since you can use your dogfriend to hunt down more healing items for you, something you'll absolutely want when the boss encounters come along.

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013
Okay, this may not be the best place to ask this question but it's the horror game thread so why not? I'm trying to get into Silent Hill and I recently bought the HD Collection (I know it's supposed to suck but I only have an XBox 360). Anyway, I started playing SH3 and I'm having a tough time with the combat; I'm at the mall, and I try to run away from the enemies but they eventually shove me into a corner and all I have is a dinky little knife. Said knife doesn't seem very effective when two dog-monsters are chewing on me. I look for ammo for the pistol but I inevitably get killed before I can find any. Is there any trick to fighting I should be using? The game manual is useless.

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

IIRC, you should always keep one spare healing item, since you can use your dogfriend to hunt down more healing items for you, something you'll absolutely want when the boss encounters come along.

Yeah, the headmaster boss was too hard because all I had was a mince pie, I restarted and I'm going to use the safe parts of every chapter to find things now I've figured out you can make your dog search without using an item.

MantisToboggan posted:

Okay, this may not be the best place to ask this question but it's the horror game thread so why not? I'm trying to get into Silent Hill and I recently bought the HD Collection (I know it's supposed to suck but I only have an XBox 360). Anyway, I started playing SH3 and I'm having a tough time with the combat; I'm at the mall, and I try to run away from the enemies but they eventually shove me into a corner and all I have is a dinky little knife. Said knife doesn't seem very effective when two dog-monsters are chewing on me. I look for ammo for the pistol but I inevitably get killed before I can find any. Is there any trick to fighting I should be using? The game manual is useless.

Unfortunately, you're just bad at the game. You might not've realised you can block though, I think you hold the attack button when you're not in 'fighting stance'.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
This may not be the place as some may not consider the game strictly horror, but the creators of Pathologic have launched a kickstarter for a remake of the original.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic

The original is considered a masterpiece of athmosphere, with an inevitable sense of doom as the plague slowly devours the town as the days pass and you can only watch and try to find a way to stop it. It however suffered from an extremely bad translation and the game itself was also buggy. This remake wants to fix it and with the 9 years of additional experience they have at their backs now I think they can do it.

papasyhotcakes fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 4, 2014

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

papasyhotcakes posted:

This may not be the place as some may not consider the game strictly horror, but the creators of Pathologic have launched a kickstarter for a remake of the original.

The original is considered a masterpiece of athmosphere, with an inevitable sense of doom as the plague slowly devours the town as the days pass and you can only watch and try to find a way to stop it. It however suffered from an extremely bad translation and the game itself was also buggy. This remake wants to fix it and with the 9 years of additional experience they have at their backs now I think they can do it.

Pledged $25. I'm really excited for this and I hope it succeeds.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

papasyhotcakes posted:

Their subsequent releases have also demonstrated that they learned a LOT from making Pathologic and are so much more polished. The Void and Knock-Knock are particularly relevant to this thread - the design of the Brothers in The Void are some of the best horror monster designs I've ever seen in a game. Seriously, the art designers at Ice-Pick Lodge are just amazing at this stuff:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

MantisToboggan posted:

Run from all combat till you get the pipe is the best advice you can be given. Most of the combat in the game is optional and can be evaded.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The best thing about The Void's monsters is that they're not outright hostile to you right away. They don't jump around corners yelling BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA at you and there's a lot of thought put behind their design which isn't outright apparent until you learn more about them. It's a fantastic game with a super oppressive atmosphere, but like Pathologic it can feel kind of confusing and it's very easy to pigeonhole yourself.

I think they added the option to make the game easier but the default difficulty will have you spinning a lot of plates.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
If we discount the really goddamn skeevy Japanese(?) aspects of it (and there's more than a little, urrggghhh), I have a soft spot for Corpse Party. It's my personal belief that a truly effective horror film or story won't so much SCARE you (jump scares are the easiest thing to do) as leave you with a deep feeling of disquiet or dread, or both. Corpse Party really does this, in my opinion, as well as having a really effective metatext about condemning misogyny (at least, as I see it). Wish it wasn't so reliant on defaulting to gore, though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Corpse Party's biggest strength is its descriptions and sound effects, in my opinion.

Reading the detailed description of a kid getting their tounge cut out or their face being beaten until the upper half literally no longer exists, and also hearing awful, awful noises to accompany it made me feel sick to my stomach on more than a few occasions. Never had a game do that to me before Would recommend, even if the actual game part is literally RPG maker and kind of sucks, the atmosphere is really good..

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The Brothers of the Void are beautiful in an intellectual "someone actually payed attention to how horrifying angels actually looked in the bible" sense. The way they're just these living grotesque collections of objects that may occasionally have functioning hands or a torso or a growth of faces just makes it all the more terrifying to behold. I'll always love when someone knows how to craft abstract creatures correctly.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

:stonk:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The real horror starts here. :shepicide:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

papasyhotcakes posted:

Well I pledged. Hopefully I still remember it's a thing I pledged to two years from now. I've always wanted to play the game and figured why not.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

I wonder what that's translated to in the official translation.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

papasyhotcakes posted:

I love how the $3,000 tier is already almost filled out.

I would buy it if I had the money.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Morpheus posted:

I wonder what that's translated to in the official translation.

How do you mean? That's what it says in the game.

maestro81
Sep 4, 2014
I'm pretty stoked about finally getting to play System Shock 2. I'm about twenty minutes into it right now.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

That's not an addition for the Western version, by the way. The original version is a lot tamer, unsurprisingly, but she asks for butt cream in both versions, and she's called utterly shameless in both versions. All in all, it's actually a very faithful translation, far more than people expect.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

That's not the an addition for the Western version, by the way. The translation is a lot tamer, unsurprisingly, but she asks for butt cream in both versions, and she's called utterly shameless in both versions. All in all, it's actually a very faithful translation, far more than people expect.

http://memoriesoffear.co.vu/post/32281403123/kira-and-i-wanted-to-analyze-the-popular-butter

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cornwind Evil posted:

If we discount the really goddamn skeevy Japanese(?) aspects of it...

Yeah, I don't really think that's possible. I highly doubt that I could look past whatever-the-gently caress is going on in that scene and find a hidden gem of a game underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Oh I thought that was the fan translation...but...oh well.

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I don't really think that's possible. I highly doubt that I could look past whatever-the-gently caress is going on in that scene and find a hidden gem of a game underneath.

Well if it makes you feel any better, she dies quite gruesomely soon after