Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
At the time of FEAR, Half Life 2 creeped the gently caress out of me. In my opinion the half life series can be apart of this thread in a real way. There's no denying the atmosphere and overall bleakness. Not to mention on hard mode you can really be on the edge of your seat scraping by.

Now I can play through either game without wincing, but rather being fascinated by the atmosphere it presents. You're never scraping by though. So in a way Half Life 2 on hard mode is a better horror game.

I define horror as something that keeps me on the edge of my seat, quite possibly some adrenaline and an actual presence of that reptilian survival instinct. I can't get "scared" anymore, too jaded. Scared as in not wanting to continue because of the fear of the unknown "Will she appear on this ladder or at the end of the hallwa-FUUUUCK". Either survival horror (half life example) or it mindfucks me by engrossing me completely in an incredibly compelling atmosphere and ways of interacting with it (silent hill 3 was creeeeeepyyyy as gently caress, and also mindfucky. Dat ending).

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Mental illness in certain video games is fairly therapeutic for me... As the effects, red flags that this might not be happening.. stuff like that. It's all very much like my own struggle with mental illness. I dunno if anyone can relate and there are plenty of times in video games where mental illness is mishandled.

I can't think of a great example of mishandling, but a poo poo yet still on point example would be Dead Space's so called "space dementia"... Every time I hear the word dementia used in this context I cringe and my mind screams out "IF THIS WERE TO BE CALLED ANYTHING IT'S PSYCHOSIS, NOT DEMENTIA".

Also I seem to remember a mechanic that Doom 3 had where at anytime, unscripted, a monster could appear behind you. That's loving wonderful. I also like to watch the jimquisition... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLLyU9hXm6Y. Saw that one last night and he makes a wonderful point that's been on my mind for some time. Just he puts it more eloquently than I do. The suspense that something scary might happen, but doesn't 90 percent of the time, is most of the thrill in the first place. When a game can make me adverse to playing it in one way or another while still keeping me hooked, that's gold.

Considering how jaded people are this isn't exactly horror, it's more suspense and kinda always has been. There's nothing to legitimately be afraid of. At least in movies if a character dies they stay dead.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Outlast
cthulhu game
silent hill series (old)
resident evil series (old)
Penumbra
AvP classic series (oh hey an actually decent horror FPS)
System shock series (^oh wow... they were doing this-incredibly well-since the 90s? Why did they stop....)
Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
Cry of fear/Afraid of monsters
Nightmare house 2
year walk
condemned
Damned
metro series
stalker series
doom 3
fear series
amnesia

What am I missing? Not necessarily horror, but even those more suspenseful games that keep you at the edge of your seat and have good atmosphere. And are single player.

I'm missing a shitload... There needs to be some kind of official list.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 1, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Is Don't Starve of the same vein?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I've played that game and it isn't fun.

How about one where the loonies take over the asylum by tricking and loving over the staff?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

The only reason why Half Life could be considered better are the lovely graphics. Which do add to the atmosphere.

Seriously go play black mesa source. Kind of a clear demonstration that when you put half life on half life 2's level, they just cannot compare at all.

HL2 is far superior.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

The only reason why I liked xen was because it marked a point when poo poo got so hosed up/real that "gently caress black mesa, the situation is so hosed up you're in another dimension now".

Games that progress like that are my absolute favorite. Half Life 2 does this infinitely better. The trek is ultimately to the citadel. It's always looming in the distance skybox. It goes from a well organized gulag utopia to a hosed warzone.

Dead Space does this infinately better than half life 2. There is no real objective looming in the horizon. You're inside the objective, trapped. The only thing you know is that you need to get the gently caress out of there.

The flesh moss/flesh caverns and the PA system getting more and more hosed up. And the whispers, so on and so forth.

It's the kind of pacing where everything gets more hosed along side the progression of the game. To the point where by the end of the game you question not just the sanity of the main character, but perhaps your own itself.

Anime has a ton of examples like this. One of the best examples I can think of is gungrave. There are so many examples and way more better ones than gungrave, but you probably get it by now. As I have to repeat my point like 10 times before I feel I've made it.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

You say HL2 does it better than the first yet Half-Life is a closed circle like Dead Space (which is why HL is a better horror game than the sequel). Before you get to the Citadel you could theoretically go wherever and escape into the hinterlands.

I won't argue Xen is as tightly designed as the Black Mesa areas but the atmosphere and look are top notch.

In half life the goal never really seemed like "I NEED TO GET THE gently caress OUT OF HERE". It seemed more like cleaning up a giant loving mess. I also never got the feeling gordon was trapped.

Half Life 2 offers that sense of urgency. I don't even feel like giving examples because there's so much fridge horror in the game it's mind bending. The only reason why it doesn't have what you see in Half Life is because it's a wide open world. The problem is outside of city 17 no one can last a second. You aren't trapped in this scenario, because you and everything around you starts out fubar. The best part is it only gets worse.

If you consider the episodes 1 and 2 as well, the game as a whole is leauges better than the first in every way. It's a much more grander scale though, which may be what saps it for you.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Agree to disagree then. I'm not disputing what you say at all. Just in game you get to the surface plenty of times.

Combined with the crappy graphics and the loads of claustrophobia it's fairly engrossing.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Not to mention... just look at the stalker model up close...
Also by the end of all this if the combine had their way, the entire human race would either be genetically engineered cyborgs (white combine) or stalkers.

They're not even ruthless. It's psychopathic, the grubshits don't seem to have emotion at all.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

al-azad posted:

Capcom announced another remake of Resident Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CpX9vkXsk0&t=112s

Apparently it's going to be an update of the Gamecube version with better models and hi-res backgrounds. They also announced a different control scheme which is going to be interesting because Resident Evil was designed around the tank controls. I don't really know how they can modernize them without breaking the game's balance.

I'd rather have this than a new resident evil.

Let's be honest, capcom has proven it cannot make a new survival horror game.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

It's the worst of the newer style games but it's not terrible. Leon's scenario is the best But the only one thats really bad is Chris'.

No. This game is loving terrible. It doesn't matter if one scenario is better than the other (which it is not). This game is a schizophrenic mess. I should know.

If the only reason to like a game is because of a segment where gameplay is completely different from the other parts of the game... the game is not good. Unless you really like mario party.

The game is actually more like mario party than any other kind of game. As a whole it's awful in that it changes itself up so much it's one game that's actually a few mini-games in one. That's all that matters. Buying a game for retail or even used price because a portion of the game is bearable isn't right.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 11, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

No, so I can have people following me around giving me post-exposition and climax to add to my persona

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Del Torro has this kind of style, you see the especially darker parks in pan's labyrinth.

All I want to see is silent hill's hosed up melancholy, macabre, bleakness on pan labyrinth's relatively mild in the hosed up department but definitely trippy steroids. Just pan's labyrinth in silent hill.

Done proper and I think we might just have a completely new kind of hosed up. Some sort of feverdreamish nightmare in an alien's mind.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I'm looking for first person horror games or horror themed games that actually have combat mechanics. I mean even into the more "atmospheric" realm of things just as long as it's well made. Things like condemned, FEAR, metro, alien isolation..

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Speedball posted:

Metro 2033. It has some *extremely* weird and spooky moments that took me by surprise. Some of the post-apocalyptic subway stations are actually haunted, and in a pretty weird way.

I was going to make an addition saying Metro 2033's atmosphere has this sort of kitschy feel that breaks the immersion for me. It feels too much like stalker. I didn't really like its atmosphere although the gameplay is really fun. And yes I play with russian VO. The sequel had better production values so I think I'm going to maybe skip over to it. What I remember on the PS3 was great.

Dead Space or F.E.A.R. are both examples of great action games with really good pacing and atmosphere that create good immersion. And also degrade in quality with the sequels...

I wish they'd hurry with that Alien Isolation sequel if there is one... And give us a drat way to kill xenomorphs. For Now I'm probably going to just settle for F.E.A.R. 2. Gonna keep trying Outlast as well because I feel like I'm either not getting it or I just don't like games where you can't fight back. Cryostasis looks great though, just does seem hard to find.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 14, 2016

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

al-azad posted:

FEAR 2 isn't that good. FEAR 3 is a good game but it makes an action leap like Dead Space 3 does. I enjoyed The Darkness 2 immensely but it's also an action shooter with some spooky moments.

I'm playing Fear 2 right now and It seems to be doing the job nicely. Good games to play with the lights off. Dead Space 2 ruined what the series had going for it in my opinion. 3 just put the final nail in the coffin by giving us the most awesome space freeroam for like 30 seconds then sticks us on planets. Using 200 year old colonic systems.

Also a note on The Darkness. The Darkness 2 when compared to the original PALES in comparison. I'd actually say strike 2 off the list and just go play The Darkness if you have a last gen console. I've already played that game to death.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I'd absolutely describe it as horror. Play it at night with headphones on, and that game has a drat tense atmosphere. It is third person, though.

A game being in third person breaks the immersion unless the protagonist is silent and faceless. I dunno, just check the leap from Dead Space 1 to 2 and everything wrong that happened there.

And I do not count Resident Evil 4.
Why?

Speaks for itself. There are so many things wrong with that game now that I look back on it. And it just takes the piss too much to enable that immersion to happen.

Final word: I'm aware of F.E.A.R. 3 Co-op. If anyone is interested I have never played before and wouldn't mind playing just so long as I can get some Co-op in.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 15, 2016

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

smuh posted:

e: yeah this should do. Its so abrupt too, I love it

Honestly, kinda doesn't make sense. Probably could have been executed better in my opinion.

Not only that but earth isn't the only place where humans exist. A spin-off sequel where you play as a completely different person in the same universe could enable them to create that game they initially wanted to make. I'm pretty sure from all the articles I read and stuff from it being like one of the last games I followed hype for from the beginning that you weren't able to actually kill anything. Also that each monster was to be unique and have more of a The Thing vibe going than an Alien Vibe.

It can be implied that they do not survive that and that blast at the end was them being overtaken by a marker signal. It's not enjoy the rest of your miserable lives sort of situation, it's full on Event Horizon blood orgy time for issac and that other dude

\/ I know what you're talking about and I just never really felt it. It lost the feeling the previous games had, at least for me.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 15, 2016

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I'm playing FEAR 2 for the first time and in my opinion it kinda takes a nose dive almost into the realm of cheese. The scene where you're getting operated on and such... It's just going full gonzo whacko from the start when the first game slowly built it up really well. And my last FEAR 1 replay isn't that far off, not to mention I've played that game to death. Never really got around to the expansions though. Should probably look into them.

This is really awful pacing combined with a general lowered fidelity in the writing. I guess to make room for a sequel that wasn't going to happen.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 16, 2016

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I'm well aware that monolith has a heavy Japanese influence. I mean do you remember when FEAR came out? Everyone was making the comparison.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 16, 2016

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I'm DEEPLY hurt by the loss of PT. And also the general lack of information on Death Stranding besides one of the best Pre-Rendered teasers I've seen so far. I'm saying that when poo poo like this exists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnuFKlVaSYI. Has there been even a hint of what genre it may be? Cause honestly it looks kinda like a survival game mixed with a game made by Team Ico

On the Last Light note I'm deeply enjoying Last Light. It starts really nicely and doesn't really mess around. Then again I played it first on PS3 so my previous experiences with it don't really count.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 19, 2016

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

How is the game Soma?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

smuh posted:

Annoying enemies, cool atmosphere and great existential horror. Regular type of horror may depend on how used to horror games you are, but I was spooked enough.

its a good game overall. Avoiding the enemies is the one part most people don't like but even that was passable in my opinion.

I just refunded Outlast because that just felt bleh. Looking for good atmosphere and a constant feeling of uneasiness to straight up spooked.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

It still has that incredibly bland look to it and I'm pretty sure SH3 in that collection even on ps3 still has some really bad bugs.

It's Konami, what do you expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I'd go all the way and go PS2. Backwards compatibility with the ps3 wasn't even that functional. So I wouldn't say it's even reliable if it's on the list. You could run into problems.

It's kinda sad to see some of our favorite games fade into obscurity because only a dwindling portion of people can play it because they have a working copy AND a functional machine to play it on.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 22, 2016