Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Brackhar posted:

I couldn't get into Alan Wake. It's a pretty game, but it's also a game about a writer with particularly bad writing. That was a bit too much for me.

Isn't it heavily alluded to that he wrote Max Payne or something similar to it? You kinda have to love that hammy type of dialogue to enjoy the game, I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, its pretty lame. Malfunctioning animatronics that think you're one of them and are trying to make you whole by shoving you in a wire-filled animatronic suit was more creative and fit the tone better than THE GHOSTS OF MURDERED CHILDREN, SO EDGY!

Did they ever confirm that it was an actual person that killed the kids originally or was it just one of the suits? I don't remember.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

That's more like it.

Five Nights At Freddy's 2: The Weekend Shift

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Maybe the AC is broken in the place, or turned off to save on the electric bill. And it's just really really hot and stuffy inside the mask!

Or the suits could get suspicious, or the mask might just be really lovely and you can't breathe, or different suits may react to the mask differently.

Who knows!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's a good idea, actually; with eight robots loving around you'll actually need to Pay The gently caress Attention to who is where, instead of just whether or not they're close to you.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's the best version if the game if you have a beefy computer but it's also unplayable if you don't exceed the recommended specs.

I've heard horror stories. Apparently it is hilariously unoptimized and runs like poo poo unless you have a monster of a computer.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Some gameplay footage of NightCry went up.

Looks kinda rough around the edges visually, still pretty excited though. Loved Clock Tower.

I hope she switches to flats eventually, having those heel clicks for the whole game would drive me insane.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The empty Freddy suit outside the door is the cruelest thing, I jump every time I see the loving thing.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

SirDrone posted:

Apart from the Fox animatronic you would think the creator would have at least one more animatronic or gimmick where one of them slowly moves or sprints at you in the camera feed. Just seeing them move around live in that creepy 90's CGI animation down a hallway next to you would be terrifying and I'm kinda bummed the third game didn't have that since it's only one robot.

This one kinda does, because the robot isn't twitchy, it moves like a person and its really gross.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The new enemy in Spooky's is loving horrifying, jesus christ

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Specimen 12, the Scissorman knockoff.

e: Just managed to finish 800-900, and I don't know what it is about him that is so terrifying, but i'm glad it's done. Am I just a baby for bein' spooked by him?

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 22, 2015

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I know these are just cashins on the popularity but I have a hard time getting mad at scott, especially since his entire reasoning for creating the series to begin with was "You think my models are scary? Oh just you loving wait"

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Morpheus posted:

You know, I've never actively wished for a company to go bankrupt, but after that Silent Hill video, and reading what their corporate practices are like, I think I'll make an exception for Konami.

It's difficult for a front for the Yakuza to go bankrupt :v:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

some people really like silent hill

you have no loving idea

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was 20 bucks when it came out and it's a 5-10 dollar game.

This was how I felt too after beating it.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Condemened was also a series where the story went absolutely nuts for.. reasons?

In 1 you start off just investigating hobo murders and then you get framed. Now you are the hobo who needs to investigate the crazy paranormal murders! then the ending involves you fighting insane Filipino stick martial art people

In 2, you are the ultimate hobo and you can shout people to death, also fight the angriest bear

Tbf it's more entertaining than FEAR and its obsession with the Japanese ghost from The Ring

I don't know where else condemned 3 could go after the poo poo in 2.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If you didn't kill them both at the end of the last episode I'm ashamed of you

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

VoidBurger posted:

bwahahaha welp, that was basically what I was expecting to happen there. That claim reeked of "false choice that doesn't really matter." Should be entertaining at least? I'm the dope that like Silent Hill Homecoming, so I have a soft spot for bad horror games.

I thought homecoming was okay outside of the two choices that determine your ending. I got the dream ending and was furious.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I guess the caveat is that you always take E3 news with mountains of salt, especially since this is going to be a major departure from the normal RE formula.

Maybe this is the return to form that people have been asking for for years

Even thought 5 + 6 were both really fun!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

No. The gruesome death thing is a Tomb Raider staple, for whatever reason. It's been in every game.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

treat posted:

What is it exactly that makes TEW such a bad game? I see people complaining about it all the time but I have never heard any good reasons.

The game has a lot of serious tone issues from what I've seen.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Dead Space 2 had a decent conclusive ending and I just go with that.

I got a pretty good laugh at the fakeout they do in that scene.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Siren's UK voice acting was hilariously bad. A genuinely creepy game that had me in fits of laughter at them seemingly using SCEE office staff to voice the characters.

The voice acting actively makes that game much better, you're crazy.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

Just bought FNAF 2-4 and Sister Location on steam today because my best friend won't stop bugging me about doing a LP of them. That and watching the game play of the new one actually got me interested in giving the franchise a real shot.

The first one is the best one! Don't skip it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Too Shy Guy posted:

Should I review Cry of Fear? I have space in my schedule and most of the Steam reviews are "need new underwear 10/10" garbage.

Yes.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lasher posted:

I jumped when it revealed Grandfather in the bath.

And yeah, the girl who made it IS a loving nutter with the patience of a saint. Check out her profile, she did this massive art piece with fineliner pen that took half a year to do and then she burnt it.

I'm pretty sure they own that dilapidated house, it shows up in a couple of her other videos.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"Watch a homeless guy mumble while jerkin' off" wouldn't fly off the shelves, for sure

Live the life in Penn Station Simulator 2017!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wonder if people who make horror games hate Silent Hill 2 because that's all horror game fans talk about and compare things to.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

I've never heard of D2, any good LPs of it to watch so I can see this utter madness?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDC4A196F002F6357
Strap the gently caress in friend

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Keep posting your thoughts, I'm extremely excited for you to see what happens in D2.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Too Shy Guy posted:

What games would you say have done it better?

Well, Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi and Irisu Syndrome both do elements of DDLC already, if that's what he means. It's not original, but it's very good and the characters are well written, I think.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

Just play Saya no Uta.

Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi is also a nitroplus game, if you like their stuff. It's not super long iirc.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I still think Natsuki's poem at the end of day 3 during route 2 is the most horrifying poo poo I've seen in a video game.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Too Shy Guy posted:

I will never really get over the fact that your character's name was Oswald Mandus.

ewwww

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm still surprised that a game he made specifically for people who live in or had lived in western Pennsylvania was so critically acclaimed but I can't argue against it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I went ahead and played through Layers of Fear the other day. It was a fun little haunted house adventure, I guess. Some of the "scares" ended up being super funny though, like when you open a door to a close up of a face and turn around and there is an extremely tiny version of that portrait on the wall behind you made me laugh.

DeathChicken posted:

Alien: Isolation actually managed to be really scary just by spacing their save points out. There were no checkpoints, you had to dart from phone to phone while that stupid nine foot bastard just would not go away. There was a constant threat of losing a chunk of your progress if you did something dumb.

AI was super good, but it was like 3-4 hours longer than it needed to be unfortunately.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I played and beat Archimedes. It was fun! A little ARG-y, I guess. I wish it was a lot longer, it's only about 30 minutes long.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean the Baldi's guy could also possibly live in the rear end end of nowhere where living expenses are like, $700 a month. For some loving reason most indie devs decide that it is extremely important to move to San Francisco, home of $6k rents, and then they run out of money immediately.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Part of me wonders if team silent hates sh2 because it poisoned the discourse around the series

Everything that came after it was compared to it and found wanting, even if it played better or did interesting things with the premise.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

That's a fair point, yeah; and I do think the cult is difficult to reconcile with the despair-focused environmental storytelling of it all, though not impossible. It's hard for me to say what it should look like because the series has (in part at fan demand) become locked into a horrible series of derivative copies of other aspects of SH2. I'm really sick of people with ambiguous, ending-determined Secret Traumas bumping into Other Traumatized Person 1-3, Plot Ghost and Maybe Town Personification X; it's a plot straitjacket.

It's because every single silent hill game past 3 is compared endlessly to 2, and people are constantly going "okay here we go SH2 BUT BETTER YAHOO".

Silent Hill as a series has become Silent Hill 2, as they desperately try to escape from the fandom that has relegated them to a single plot

quote:

SH player: How do you know about that? Aren't you Silent Hill 2?

SH: I'm not your Silent Hill.

SH player: So you're SH2 then?

SH: I am... if you want me to be.

SH player: What I want from you is an answer!

SH: It doesn't matter who I am. I'm here for you [player].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Too Shy Guy posted:

If you have exactly 5 minutes and 30 seconds to spare, you should give SEPTEMBER 1999 a try. It's free on itch.io and wonderfully creepy.

It's a really neat proof of concept and I'd love to see an actual game (or even a more fleshed out walking sim) use that artstyle.