Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

papasyhotcakes posted:

This may not be the place as some may not consider the game strictly horror, but the creators of Pathologic have launched a kickstarter for a remake of the original.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic

The original is considered a masterpiece of athmosphere, with an inevitable sense of doom as the plague slowly devours the town as the days pass and you can only watch and try to find a way to stop it. It however suffered from an extremely bad translation and the game itself was also buggy. This remake wants to fix it and with the 9 years of additional experience they have at their backs now I think they can do it.

Well I pledged. Hopefully I still remember it's a thing I pledged to two years from now. I've always wanted to play the game and figured why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I kind of love how this thread has already decided the mechanic of an unreleased game is overpowered and unfun.

Edit: changed the word "game" to "thread" because I intended to write thread instead of game to begin with.

Len fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 29, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DeathChicken posted:

This all makes me think that if RE4 were just now coming out and they made it a point in the trailers to show off how the chainsaw guys could jump and one-shot you, man, that game would have blown, don't bother playing.

Now granted, this game could very well wind up being terrible, but still.

I heard that plaga can bite your head off instantly. Not worth playing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

mysterious frankie posted:

I find it hard to comprehend the logic behind that promotional video "The best way to sell this game as being fun and not at all tedious is to take a non emotive guy who is not good at playing the game, drop him nine chapters in with an underleveled character and film him dying and rolling his eyes in annoyance while barely making any progress for an hour straight. Oh yeah, have him play a build that still has some major issues with the trap disarming minigame, because nothing gets players more excited than broken minigames that inflict health penalties upon failure." I still think it looks great, but I can understand how something like that wouldn't exactly change your mind if you were already expecting the worst.

See that's what gets me. Everyone admits the video is taken from the middle of the game, with an under leveled character and a player that has no idea what's going on yet automatically assumes the mechanic is going to be terrible. Like sure I get being a little hesitant but until there's context people should probably hold back from going "IT'S GONNA SUCK :gonk:"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

1stGear posted:

The stream where ghostydude makes an appearance, for reference. He makes an appearance at around 4 minutes and about 17:35, and probably more because I haven't watched the whole thing. He can appear during fights, during opening doors, behind you, and in such close quarters that there's zero chance to escape. People who have played the demo have reported that he can appear at points where you are completely vulnerable and unable to escape and is totally random.

If that's the case, its a completely poo poo mechanic that has nothing on Nemesis or the Dahaka or whatever.

This guy in the last page strongly hints that it's gonna be a poo poo mechanic.

Edit:

ManOfTheYear posted:

What worries you about the mechanics? Are there some glaring issues out of the bat?

Accordion Man posted:

There may be an invincible enemy that can one-shot you, or just bring you to one health, if you take too long throughout the game.

I mean the thread is sounding pretty negative on the last page about a mechanic that almost nothing is known about.

Len fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 29, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I don't remember saying it was gonna be a poo poo game either? I mean I guess in one post I said "IT'S GONNA SUCK :gonk:" but the other two I typed out the word "mechanic". Either way I'm not going to get the game just kind of curious how a mechanic that is still pretty unexplained is automatically making people think it's going to suck.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is Five Nights at Freddy's the current indie darling? There's a clone for it in the Google Play store already.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

King Vidiot posted:

Could you actually link to it, because I'm picturing something hilarious and blatant. Like "Six Shrieks at Schleppy's" or something.

Here ya go. at least my phone tells me that's the link

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gann Jerrod posted:

Why would anyone even buy this, the actual Five Nights at Freddy's is on the App Store!

This one's free though!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

I watched an LP for IllBLEED and I'm pretty sure it's the best game every made in the history of mankind.

I mean, holy poo poo, there's a serial killer who leaves a star-shaped 'kill mark' on his victims. It's star shaped. So, because of this star-shaped kill mark, it's only natural that the media give him the nickname KILLERMAN BECAUSE WHY THE gently caress NOT.

Also, doing a run through a dialogue-heavy chapter as Brock from Pokemon who has not had his lobotomized brain replaced is just fuckinghilarious.

"Who could've done this?"
"Ughhhuhhhhuhhsuhhh?"
"What? But how could that possibly happen?"
"Bughuhhhhuahhhh!"
"You might be right after all..."

Fixed that for you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So whatever happened with that unkillable ghost that was going to make Evil Within a bad game? Were people just hitting panic buttons for no reason?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

poptart_fairy posted:

He appears in a single chapter and can be hidden from. A lot of people in the main thread keep complaining about the difficulty and how they lost all their ammo, but I can only imagine they did this by staring at a wall and firing - non-stop - until they were dry.

So it really was people just hitting the panic button based on one contextless video.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

poptart_fairy posted:

A one hit kill enemy which is heavily telegraphed and can be dealt with using the environment.

I don't think goons really seem to get the Evil Within.

Sorry this week the goon attention is on Shadow of Mordor. Maybe next week will be Evil Withins time to shine.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Improbable Lobster posted:

While not a nazi, the dev has been buying ads on Furaffinity which is pretty :laffo:

It's brilliant. If you get spotted by one of the animatronics you get shoved into a fursuit where you will spend the rest of your life. Sounds perfect for Furaffinity.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cardiovorax posted:

As a game it's certainly worth that much. You can probably get it for cheaper in the discount bin of your local Gamestop, though.

Yeah but dude gave up on it because it's a console game. Clearly he doesn't want it from the discount bin at Gamestop because consoles.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Snatched that up! Thanks a lot!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Apparently Five Nights at Freddys is A Thing for elementary school kids too. I work at a day care and theres a couple kids that keep asking to watch Five Nights at Freddys Markiplier videos on my phone. It's so weird.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

1stGear posted:

Looks like a full-blown spinning plates game now. Keep the music box playing, keep the flashlight on Foxy, keep track of 5 animatronics, keep the mask up but not for too long, and so forth. I almost wonder if the franticness will reduce the scariness.

One of the house's in the neighborhood had a Slenderman mannequin out front all of October. Truly, we are the real monsters.

I blew their minds when they found out I new about Slenderman.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

poptart_fairy posted:

Haha, yeah, the final night. Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo. :stare:

Major, major spoilers here: look at the date on your cheque then play Night 6. 1987.

I'm not sure what exactly that's spoiling?

Edit: I'm one of those people who probably won't play the game so basically what I'm asking for is an elaboration.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A second Five Nights clone is in the Play store now. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chopperkhan.asylum

Looks better than the Five Nights at Buddys game at least.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yodzilla posted:

How the do pieces of poo poo like that (especially Buddy's) get so many loving downloads and reviews?

I know Buddy's got downloaded by the kids at my day care because it was free. So I can only imagine that has to have something to do with it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The funniest thing about Youtube LPers and their banshee wails is that I installed Five Nights at Freddys onto the computer at work and even 6 years old don't scream like those people do.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

hanales posted:

He's been playing a new game called Dr. Spooky's house of jump scares.

It's....amazing.

Thank you for this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Nice, that's the first one I watched and won me over. Those free RPG Maker/Unity/flavor of the week horror games are endlessly entertaining. For the regular horror games, I still generally prefer to spend time actually playing it myself, but if I want a video to skip around in and get an idea of before buying, his are one of the first places I check now.
This really is great

The best part is later rooms those actually do shock him a bit. Yet he still doesn't scream and wail.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I haven't really played the second FNaF but the first is pretty bleh. You really only have to actually check like three cameras and wait it out. Unless it picked up a lot after night 3 I don't see me ever finishing it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What do we know about Silent Hills? I got a PS4 recently but most of the information I can find is about PT.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Aww I was hoping there was more somewhere ):

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Those load screens made 6 year old me afraid of the house we had just moved into because my bedroom door looked like the door to the attic where you fight Yawn.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

demota posted:

I'm seriously impressed by Cawthon cranking out sequel after sequel at this pace and making it meaningfully different every time. He's refusing to let himself settle, and I really admire his workmanship.

That aside, I just realized that if the building has exits, it also has entrances. :gonk:

It apparently took 96 days from the release of the first to the release of the second. So far from the second to now is 78 days. I don't know anything about game design but there doesn't seem to be much to the game. It's mostly still images with some animation over it right? How hard can that be for someone that actually knows what they're doing?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BlackFrost posted:

I just finished Neverending Nightmares.

I'm very curious to see the Kickstarter video for this game because I have no idea how something so boring could get funded. Dude must've put on a pretty excellent pitch.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/infinitap/neverending-nightmares

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Improbable Lobster posted:

This reads like a really really bad sales pitch from a clueless ad man, especially since you apparently don't have the time to play it yourself. So thanks for making me not want to play it.

It's actually a pretty fun game. Visually there isn't much to it. The deadnauts are blue blips and the aliens are red. You play the guy sitting in a janky spaceship trying to coordinate everything.

The deadnauts don't get along completely with each other so you have to manage morale. In the meantime your ship has issues where audio/video will cut out so you have to reroute power at times so you don't lose the feed.

The deadnauts themselves have skills and roles and equipment so while one can hack really well his ability to shoot might be poo poo. You also can give a guy a scanner to scan behind doors before you open them.

Rooms have integrity and if your deadnauts are poo poo at shooting or using explosives they can cause a hull break which immediately seals the doors locking your deadnauts in while the air slowly ticks away killing them.

I didn't get very far but from what I played of it it's fun.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Spalec posted:

I thought PT was the scariest game I've ever played, if Silent Hills keeps up that level of tension and fear for the whole game it'll take me a long time to finish because I'll only be able to play it in short bursts.

Silent Hills won't necessarily bare any resemblance to PT, either in gameplay or story. I know they've said the puzzles were intentionally incredibly obscure in PT to the internet buzzing about how to solve the puzzles. But I don't think we can make any assumptions about Silent Hills from PT.

I think Kojima is a great choice for Silent Hill, even in Metal Gear he manages to have several really creepy/spooky bits, like the ghost river or nightmare in MGS3 or the collapse of reality at the end of MGS2. Seeing him go full horror is going to be very interesting. Like or hate Kojima, you can't deny no-one else makes games like his.
Silent Hills probably isn't that far into development, I imagine Kojimas attention is taken up by Phantom Pain at the moment.

And del Toro has great visuals. Pans Labyrinth is a good indicator of that. The two of them together should be able to design some incredibly environments.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Danaru posted:

I'm no fan of his videos, but apparently Markiplier put out a tweet that he's played Five Nights at Freddys 3, hopefully that means there'll be a public demo or at least more gameplay information out soon.

And the kids at work had finally stopped talking about him and those games ):

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fojar38 posted:

There was a Youtube video a few months back where a guy pretty much nailed down exactly what happened in the backstory based entirely on the death minigames in FNAF2. He was right about everything except for purple guy being phone guy. His argument that purple guy is phone guy is that he likes foxy and that his baton kinda looks like a phone in Atari form and I think that people are assuming that since he was right about everything else he must be right about this too.

There's more to the death mini games than what they look like? Is that in readable form? Because I have no interest in watching a guy ramble about fan speculation.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kulkasha posted:

Was it an arcade shooter? Carnival comes to mind.

Carnevil gotta get your wordplay right!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HellCopter posted:

Is anybody here playing Bloodborne? I think there's an argument to be made that it's a horror game. They really went all-out with the enemy design and there hasn't been a single one that didn't make me think "What the hell is that".

Seriously. I was running around exploring and opening doors and such. I'd run out of souls so why not blindly run around ya know? Well I went through this doorway and the cleric beast just drops down out of nowhere. Fucker looks fantastic. Of course he murdered me. But he looked so cool doing it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Valatar posted:

To do a horror game right definitely needs a steering away from SCREEEEEEEEELOUDNOISEARRRRGH poo poo JUMPING AT YOUR SCREEN AHHHHHHHHHHH and a subtler undercurrent of danger. System Shock 2 did it fabulously when you'd just hear worm zombies shuffling down a hall past the room you're in and calling out to you; some of the chattier splicers in Bioshock were the same where you wouldn't be in immediate danger, but you knew that some crazy motherfucker with a box full of grenades was busy screaming about Jesus fifty feet away from you.

I sort of long for the day when a horror game or movie has someone turn and see the killer looking through the window at them without the jump scare loud noise. Just staring at them quietly. Then calmly walking over to start trying to open the door. No rush. All the time in the world.

But then how would youtubers know when to scream?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is it even confirmed that this isn't just an April fools thing?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

Well, I thought Tecmo kept its perversion squarely in the Dead or Alive series but I see it's bleeding out.

Let me just scratch off Monster Rancher from my list of games that need a revival. I don't want to see what they turn it into.

A free to play mobile game :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Industrial posted:

It's pretty old now but try The Suffering for PS2. The gameplay is pure third-person action (think Max Payne) but it has a dead serious pure horror setting and tone. I loved it.

Just skip the second one. It was nowhere near as good with the worst part of it being the added "realism" of a limited arsenal. I'm fighting demons in the ghetto that are based around different ways people died in the ghetto. I should not be saddled with a limited arsenal.