Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Brackhar posted:

Neverending Nightmares sure has a lot of walking.

A goon's worst nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Co-op is the only reason to play those games.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Nocturne is stellar and that first Blair Witch game was really solid and atmospheric.

Which one of the three Blair Witch games was the one where you're running around burning monsters with a holy cross?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't know. Solid and atmospheric, yes, but only by comparison to the other entries in the series. It's not really all that good on its own merits.

In my eyes it was just somewhat like getting more Nocturne. That was good enough for me at the time.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The Cat Lady is an extremely memorable and unique game. If you haven't played it, it is absolutely worth the price it's going for these days. It's unlike any other game I've played in terms of experience. Stellar stuff and doesn't outstay its welcome.

Anyone play the original version of the precursor: Downfall? Worth playing or should I just head for the remake?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

chitoryu12 posted:

Speaking of System Shock, the first 35 minutes of Prey have been uploaded by Bethesda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ndRGP5bMs

It's a spiritual successor to System Shock and BioShock, which makes me very pleased.

Those little icons telling you exactly where your objective is at all times are the bane of video games. How about you just tell me to get to the office and let the level design do the rest?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Danaru posted:

Morrowind was my favourite for this, I remember one quest to search a shipwreck to get a daedric tanto and return it. Turns out I wrote down the directions slightly wrong and ended up searching the wrong ship. I was a little pissed but also impressed that I managed to find A shipwreck, if not THE shipwreck.

I miss exploration :smith:

WALK TO POINT A. NOW WALK TO POINT B. GOOD BOY.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The first Silent Hill movie absolutely nailed the atmosphere. And not much else. That goddamn exposition dump at the end, man. Although I guess that is pretty videogame.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Is it weird that I kinda want to make a rip-off game to Dead Air. Mainly, I just want to make a game called D.J. D.Cay: Live on D.E.A.D. Air

Sounds like a Dreamcast game.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Relin posted:

put nocturne on gog already ugh

Seriously, what the hell.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Well I bought Outlast 2 for 9 bucks. I was seemingly one of the few who enjoyed the first game so I hope this one is worth it.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Hahaha bizarre

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Basticle posted:

catching up with this thread and you just sparked a memory of something I hadn't thought about in literally 20 years.

*digs through closet*

The biggest horror is that the coupon is gone :stare:

Hey, I used to keep my weed paraphernalia in that box. Good times.

No free underwear tho.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Basticle posted:

I've only ever played SH2 on PS2 but I have a PC copy in a closet somewhere, gonna have to dig it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v1USVhtfjQ

The PC versions of at least Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4 are fantastic because they allow you to crank up the resolution and they have a ton of customization.

Although that might just be 3.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

al-azad posted:

Darkplace is a comedy, it makes no attempts at being serious, while Alan Wake has some funny moments but plays its ridiculous setting straight. It's like the difference between Police Squad with Sledge Hammer (I hope people know what this beautiful show is).

Wasn't expecting a reference to Sledge Hammer in the horror games megathread, that's for sure.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Crabtree posted:

Lisa is more depressing than funny though.

In its defense, it's very, very funny. Which says more about how depressing an experience it is.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

drkeiscool posted:

So I found some discs buried in my old junk; it's a game called Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare. Does anyone here have personal experience with it?

It's alright. If you can get it running, it's worth a spin. Alone in the Dark was the grandpeppy of the genre, and New Nightmare just aped Resident Evil, minus the gruesomeness iirc.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cardiovorax posted:

For the Resident Evil HD release for the PC, does anyone know if they actually had to remake all the textures in high definition, or were able to to just re-use the art assets from the Gamecube version because they were already at that quality internally?

No real reason for asking, I'm just curious.

It's mostly an upscale from slightly higher resolution textures they already had. Nothing was redone, as far as I know. There's even a true HD texture remake project being done by fans, if I remember correctly.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Raxivace posted:

Not gonna lie, I would totally play "Silent Hill, but John Locke is the villain".

Silent Hill, but John Wick is the villain.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yardbomb posted:

Patenting needs to be thrown out the loving window forever.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Agent Escalus posted:

Apparently Agony sold "well enough" for them to stay in business?

Edgy teens and misogynist adults are profitable markets.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

FirstAidKite posted:

I just finished up watching a longplay of The Cat Lady and I was reading up info on the timeline between it and the Downfall remake and I found out that (major spoilers for Downfall) I guess Joe ended up murdering the rest of the tenants at the apartment building or something :( Like, yeah Bryan was a dick and the Dog Lady seemed uppity, but Pauline and Jesse seemed fine and it said there were 5 bodies found dead before Joe left so that would mean he had to have killed Bryan, Jesse, the Dog Lady, Pauline, and Pauline's baby... unless he didn't actually kill any of them, but people on the steam forums pointed out that in the places Joe had to kill one of the Sophies corresponded with one of his neighbors and it's just a depressing addendum to an already depressing series

I'm excited about the next game in the series, Lorelai. The Cat Lady is one of my all-time favorite video game experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toKfspeJqrw

Is that a bald Joe doing the killing?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
SOMA is currently available for free on GOG.com.

For that price, it's a no-brainer.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Cross-post from the General Chat Thread as this seems the most likely place for people to have played the game in all of Games.

:siren: Mod Approved Shameless Goon Self-promotion :siren:

I've officially 'Done A Thing' and put one of my favorite game soundtracks on vinyl: The Cat Lady. Yeah, the dead format your grandpa used to play Bing Crosby on.

https://twitter.com/stumpyfrogrecs/status/1120219084950396928

Anyway, this project means a lot to me. The Cat Lady means a lot to me. And from the emails I've been getting, it seems to mean a lot to other people as well. The music is a huge part of that.

I've made 500 copies and geeze, I really don't want to end up with 450 copies stashed in my garage over the coming years, so if you're interested at all in the niche of a niche of a niche that is Indie Horror Game Soundtrack On Vinyl, please do pre-order. I've kept the price as low as I possibly could for a double LP and every purchase helps.

You can pre-order here: https://www.stumpyfrog.com/

I have a couple of other fantastic soundtracks to indie games that I'd really like to give a beautiful release but it would take about 250 copies of The Cat Lady sold for me to be able to do that.

You can listen to the full soundtrack on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msg_DMtuXVE

You can get The Cat Lady game here (I highly recommend it):

https://www.gog.com/game/the_cat_lady

And the sequel, Lorelai, comes out tomorrow here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/593960/Lorelai/

Thanks for reading and thank you very much Palpek for letting me post this here!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

al-azad posted:

Upload the album's information to Discogs. There's a very ravenous group of people that buy video game vinyls and I've seen the nichest of the niche recessed within recesses sell out overnight.

Excellent suggestion! Thank you :D

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The third game in the series that is Downfall, The Cat Lady, and Lorelai is out on GOG & Steam. Pretty excited. Downfall was good, The Cat Lady was great. Hoping Lorelai gets some more attention.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Knorth posted:

This is really cool! I don't know exactly when I'll be able to grab one but I'm planning to

Hey, awesome! If you want a special color vinyl, I’d just pre-order it to reserve a copy. Won’t be sending invoices until May anyway.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Yuppie Psycho came out yesterday, the second game from the makers of The Count Lucanor. I got it from the developers and played the first 90 minutes of it just now, and it's off to a really promising start, I was expecting it to open in a normal office and then things get gradually weirder but no, like Count Lucanor it gets going with the horror and weirdness almost immediately. You've got a really interesting goal for the game, and it takes you all over this super hosed up office building full of unsettling coworkers and stuff that should not be there. The writing is surprisingly good and the atmosphere is great, so I'd say definitely check it out if it looks at all interesting to you.

Oh drat, this came out? Count Lucanor was rough but teeming was excellent ideas. I was pretty hype for this like, a year ago. Picking this up as soon as it hits GOG.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

RichterIX posted:

This loving bums me out because I loved Detention. Isn't it enough to just take the Winnie the Pooh joke out?

Hi, I’m China. 5000 years of history has resulted in the thinnest skin in the world. We murder people for less than calling our rotund Winnie The Pooh-like dictator Winnie The Pooh.

That game is gone. The developers probably likewise.

Old Boot posted:

Late to answer, but probably will once I'm done loving around with Sundered.

Picked it up the moment you said it was releasing-- I'd forgotten when it was slated for, so thanks for that! I'm saving it for my next worknight. Pretty hype, even if Downfall admittedly fell pretty flat with me. The game definitely had its moments, but Joe isn't a very compelling character, and I can't help but feel like it was trying to tackle a subject that it wasn't quite wrapping its head around.

Hoping for more Cat Lady and less-- that, even if Cat Lady had its moments of severe disappointment. Like, the kid detail was pretty unnecessary, and undermined what I felt was a rather refreshing angle to take. I found myself wondering why she couldn't just be a depressed/older/single woman without the babybabybaby baggage attached, and got really bummed out that that was the case. It's admittedly kinda killed my desire to replay it.

Downfall was definitely no The Cat Lady. But it has its moment, despite Joe’s non character. The scene where he’s in bed with Ivy and they’re talking about their past and the player basically gets to choose not just what happened, but how Joe perceived things to have happened... that’s interesting and stands out.

As for the depression angle on TCL: I think it has to do with accessibility. A lot of people (the majority of people) would just not be able to connect to someone whose depression isn’t triggered by a major external event. I think the choice was to either educate people on depression that don’t necessarily have a clear cause, or make the story about trauma and tragedy that works better as a story.

On that level, what they went with was appropriately tragic, and it still seems to have connected with a lot of people struggling with depression. The reason for the depression might not be something they can identify with, but they can identify with effect and the struggle.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Old Boot posted:

Already discovered something I deeply dislike about Lorelai: the absolutely absurd system requirements.

Like, gently caress, man, Fallout: New Vegas runs just fine on average settings on my laptop. An adventure game with tweened animation and 90s style 3d graphics shouldn't be making it lag that hard.

It’s super unoptimised but you can drop the graphics quality and it affects absolutely nothing, as everything that matters is high res 2D. I played it on a 300 dollar, 8 year old laptop and, save for some lagging in the field and tunnel, completely playable 97% of the time.

The creator got overzealous with the effects, but those 2D assets looking fantastic. I’d really like a TCL remake with these graphics, but he’s closed the book on the entire series so, eh

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

MockingQuantum posted:

It's actually pretty charmingly bizarre, and is not as clunky to play as the studio's last offering. Mind you, it's still a bit clunky to play, and the save system is patently stupid, but the game makes up for it most of the time.

Count Lucanor had a terrible save system as well. I lost 40 minutes of progress about 10% into the game and although it was a solid experience up until that point, the idea of trial & error'ing my way through some block puzzles again keeps me from picking it back up.

It adds nothing to have a trash limited save system. I don't feel like I'm being challenged, I feel like someone is trying to prevent me from having fun.

Take my situation above: so I should've at one point, after a puzzle, said "Alright, let me travel all the way back to the save point, use a limited resource to save, and worry about whether or not I'll have enough going forward." So I don't, then I die shortly after. I don't feel added tension, I don't feel like there's an added challenge. I just feel like the game is being a dick so I stop playing.

What I'm asking with this rant is: anyone got a different POV on limited save systems? When do they work in favor of the game? Even in Resident Evil, I couldn't stand them, although they were plenty generous with the ink ribbons. But that begs the question: why even make them limited at all?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Lifeglug posted:

So this is why I refunded Yuppie Psycho. I hadn't saved after that awful owl/bookshelf boss and rather than bothering to do that poo poo again I quit the game and refunded it. No regrets.

I can understand save points, but restrictive save points as well as having to find items to activate them too is just too much.

Can't believe he did it again.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

FirstAidKite posted:

I just remember how one of the puzzles you are required to solve to finish the game is that you need to summon a demon and you do so by, among other things, making the brother character and sister character get naked and gently caress in bed,

If something's gonna summon a demon, that'd do it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Most interactive fiction loses its potency when you remove its defining characteristic.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Bogart posted:

They're based out of Taiwan, iirc.

Guess what Taiwan is

... #1?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Any thoughts on Paratopic? It's a short horror game covering three connected stories. It's quite short (about an hour?) but man, this is exactly the kind of (horror) game I like. Thick with atmosphere, a cohesive visual language, eerie world-building. Interactive fiction. I loved it.

Best to go in blind, but here's a short summary.

quote:

You got caught smuggling VHS tapes across the border, and now there's hell to pay.
You want to find an elusive rare bird in the forest and snap its picture.
You have to kill a man in the back room of a shady diner.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/897030/Paratopic/
https://arbitrarymetric.itch.io/paratopic

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

wyoming posted:

(lie) No, I am not interested in giant balls of twine.

Laughed out loud at this. Pretty much a stand out bit of levity in an a oppressive experience.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Paratopic is super neat. Great soundtrack too.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I really liked the old Blair Witch Games. Scratched my Nocturne itch a bit and I’m a sucker for tank control horror.

I wish the Terminal Reality games were available somewhere. Nocturne is straight up a genre highlight.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh, Nocturne, I had completely forgotten about that. I never actually got to play it myself, but the reviews at the time made it sound very good. Anyone know if it can be found on GOG or wherever? Casual Google search has given me a bunch of abandonware sites, but no legitimate places to buy it. I would like to avoid option 1 if possible.

Nope, it must be lost in some legal limbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cardiovorax posted:

What a shame. Guess I'll have to wait until leaves legal limbo, then. Yup. Most assuredly, that is exactly what I am going to do.

I still have my discs but they won’t work :smith: