Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The best part of Silent Hill 4 for me was when you finally unlock your apartment door. You're exhausted, you've been through hell, and finally you've reached your goal. And then...you step outside, and find yourself in a nightmarish version of the apartment building - you're still trapped, and now there's no hope of a way out.

It's just such a perfect horror moment, of all hope taken away from you, of the light at the end of the tunnel simply being a train. Even though the game itself wasn't that good (gently caress those ghosts), that one moment is probably one of my favourites in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

al-azad posted:

Why does Regina, a special forces soldier, wear a black leotard over underarmor?

Same reason Jill Valentine wore a miniskirt and tube top - because sex appeal. At least they eventually updated her design.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Speaking of Quake, I remember a while ago playing it in some sort of pod; I had never played Quake before, and this was, I think, in the late 90s. Basically this 'pod' had you sit down in a large seat, with movement and action buttons build into the armrests, completely soundproof with surround sound and a screen that basically eclipsed your vision. Fun thing is that this was during a quiet period of the day at the arcade where it was set up, and I guess the attendant didn't care, so my 15 minutes of play eventually turned into an hour or so without any interruption. Pretty freaky. Would loving love that setup with something modern.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Hey, fans of Fatal Frame have a new game to look forward to on the Wii U:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1rv4GAZoho

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I really hope it's localized. I played FF4 using that softpatch, or whatever it was, and I get the feeling there's nothing like that for the Wii U.

That said, the game was a bit of a disappointment...the final boss, especially. I never encountered any of the bugs, except for some random slowdown, though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Brackhar posted:

I really liked the story of Machine For Pigs by the end, especially the core conceit. If it was 1899 and you learned about World War 1 from dark magic, what would you do to try and stop it? That being said, it wasn't a great gameplay follow-on to Dark Descent, as they ended up ditching most of the mechanics that made the fear work (inability to stare at monsters, sanity drops in darkness, etc.) While I like the game I think I and most others would have ended up with a much better opinion of the game had it not been in the Amnesia series.

Well, they ended up removing most of the monsters, flat out - I think there were like five in the game, or something absurdly low like that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

BogMod posted:

Dead Space series or maybe Limbo.

Limbo is really good for the first third or so...then after the forest it just becomes a fairly generic puzzle-platformer.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

al-azad posted:

Capcom announced another remake of Resident Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CpX9vkXsk0&t=112s

Apparently it's going to be an update of the Gamecube version with better models and hi-res backgrounds. They also announced a different control scheme which is going to be interesting because Resident Evil was designed around the tank controls. I don't really know how they can modernize them without breaking the game's balance.

Maybe they should work on making a new Resident Evil that isn't completely terrible. No grinding, no multitudes of character switching, just someone locked somewhere dark with zombies. Not that difficult a concept!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

I also like the supervisor calls. The game's definitely meant as "horror" but it's not taken totally seriously, which I guess reminds me a little of the tone of something like ILLBLEED in a good way.

Yeah, there's no way this game is to be actually taken seriously. For one, why the gently caress would anyone, after the first night in a murderous-animatronic-filled freakshow, return for there second to fifth nights on the job.

"Where're you going honey?"
"Back to work, babe. At Freddy's"
"But you came back from it last night terrified that the robots were going to murder you!"
"Someone's got to protect that lovely merchandise from vandals."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Man. I really need to play that demo. My friends play horror games whenever we can, and that's right up our alley.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Played through the PT demo with a couple friends last night, ended up streaming it because one of our friends (the one playing it) gets terrified when it comes to horror games. It was hilarious. Also pretty scary - I'd say that it's definitely one of the scariest titles I've played that I can think of. The combination of this nightmarish inescapable apartment (which reminded me of The Room), the sound design, and the unknown nature of when things were going to happen really had us going. Final puzzle was bullshit though, and drained all the tension out of the game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Did you figure out how to finish the demo? I've heard a lot online about people not being able to get to the end at all, it sounds like the "win" conditions are kinda random.

Honestly there are so many 'solutions' online that it's like the whole 'beat the game four times without dying and also use exactly two healing potions' era of video game myth and rumours, where there was totally a Mew under the truck but you needed to spin around four times and hold down B the entire time while walking through the safari zone.

We did manage to solve it, but I'll be damned if I know how. We just walked around looking at things slowly to get the second baby laugh. Took a while and was a pain.

weekly font posted:

It took me a second to remember Silent Hill 4 and I really wish Tommy Wiseau got cast over Norman Reedus now.

The ghost in the PT demo is named Lisa, soooo there were a couple "You're tearing me apart Lisaaaa" jokes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Watching an LP of Five Nights at Freddy's and holy poo poo that fox thing. Seeing it's room empty, and then switching quick enough to see it literally sprint to the security booth is pretty goddamn freaky.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I found NukemDukem's video to be the least irritating, he doesn't have a shtick of being a giant scared rear end in a top hat all the time. Problem is that he doesn't finish the last night.
Another decent one is HarshlyCritical. He does everything, but I only watched his final couple videos.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

The demo version is the first two nights. The first to get you to understand the mechanics, and the second ramps up the difficulty and starts to change the rules on you. Dude bases his entire review on the tutorial half of a demo.

And he still loses to it, somehow.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Silent Hill games are best when they're about characters, not locations or plots. Silent Hill 1 was about Alessa(?) and the crazy psychological horror that she brought to the town. Silent Hill 2 was about James Sunderland and the horror that the town manifested for him. The third game was just about the cult - Heather had a place in the plot but not in the overall game (if that makes sense). The Room was the same - the game is about what Walter Sullivan does, but the world doesn't really reflect his character, just the result of the actions he takes. At least, that's how I saw it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Why do you hate fun?

It'd be nice if the doll did something aside from creating an annoyance in your apartment.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I wonder what that's translated to in the official translation.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How do you mean? That's what it says in the game.

Oh I thought that was the fan translation...but...oh well.

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I don't really think that's possible. I highly doubt that I could look past whatever-the-gently caress is going on in that scene and find a hidden gem of a game underneath.

Well if it makes you feel any better, she dies quite gruesomely soon after

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It doesn't kill him though, at 17:30 in that video he's at about half health and he still survives the hit.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Just finished played The Last Door, a semi-Lovecraftian adventure game. I though it was pretty good. As far as mechanics go, it's pretty vanilla, but it has some really good atmosphere and an interesting plot.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I watched an LP for IllBLEED and I'm pretty sure it's the best game every made in the history of mankind.

I mean, holy poo poo, there's a serial killer who leaves a star-shaped 'kill mark' on his victims. It's star shaped. So, because of this star-shaped kill mark, it's only natural that the media give him the nickname KILLERMAN BECAUSE WHY THE gently caress NOT.

Also, doing a run through a dialogue-heavy chapter as a character who has not had his lobotomized brain replaced is just fuckinghilarious.

"Who could've done this?"
"Ughhhuhhhhuhhsuhhh?"
"What? But how could that possibly happen?"
"Bughuhhhhuahhhh!"
"You might be right after all..."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

All you folks playing horror games and such, I recommend Realms of the Haunting, an old story-heavy horror FPS for the PC. I won a copy of it at a simple university course I was taking during middle school, and it scared the poo poo out of my back then. Not so much anymore, but it's not terrible from what I remember (but it has been a long time). Get the Director's Cut if you can, it comes with extra cutscenes or something.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

al-azad posted:

Realms of the Haunting is my day 13 and you can get the Director's Cut off GOG which everyone should!

Literally minutes after I posted, it came out in an indiegala bundle, for $1: https://www.indiegala.com/

Don't actually know if it's the Director's Cut, but I'm pretty sure. Why wouldn't it be?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

Isn't this also literally the entire crux of Alien: Isolation's horror?

You beat me to it, but yeah, this is most stealth-based horror games, I don't see what the problem here is. I think the big issue was that one part in that one video where the player stumbled through a door right into the ghost guy, and got his rear end ghost-handed to him.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

I'll probably wimp out and just watch an LP of this one, but I'll buy the game anyway. Unless it turns out the developer is an actual Nazi or something, he seems pretty cool and does everything(?) by his lonesome. Worth a few bucks.

5NaF must be so much easier to develop than most games - there are almost no animations (except for Foxy jumping out), everything is static, there are only a few points of view, and everything takes place in a tiny little room. Does a good job with the result though, so kudos.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I forget, how's the response to Anna: Extended Edition? I remember hearing the original was a pile of crap, but that the new one isn't that bad. I saw it for $2 somewhere, figured I might pick it up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I played Alone in the Dark on PS3, and actually thought it wasn't terrible. It felt like a strong B-movie-style game trying to be more, but failing. Some cool ideas, and some parts, like the aforementioned driving through a crumbling city, are actually pretty cool (though it seems like many of the issues people had with these parts were fixed, so I can't comment what it was like before). The close-your-eyes mechanic was original, the fire was cool, and of course "I'M THE loving UNIVERSE!" is probably the best line uttered in any horror game ever.

Thought the inventory system was neat as well, another thing where the idea was better than the implementation (which explains much of this game).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Well, just bought Anna and Soul Suspect. I suspect (heh) the latter is worth at least the $13 sale price, especially as a watchable game for my friends and I to play on our Thursday nights, but I guess I'll find out!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Thing is, original Alone in the Dark is a pretty bad game, but was still revolutionary at the time. I mean, the controls are awful, you move like a slug, goals and mechanics are pretty obtuse, and there are a lot of insta-kill moments. There's platforming, a gently caress-you moment if you don't have a particular object (if I remember right), and the final boss is a tree.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Now I'm really just wanting a Hotline Miami-style game in a crossover with Five Nights at Freddy's with a dash of Night Trap. Say you're Scarface-esque drug kingpin in the 1980's, and you're sitting in your office watching members of a rival gang trying to get to you through the security system. Only the security system doesn't stop at just cameras, you have traps in place all over the house, everything from flamethrowers to mounted guns, spikes, blades, and so on. All of this while some 80's synthwave soundtrack blares.

You could call it Miami Nights or something, and instead of a set number of nights it just keeps going until you either get bored or die.

Isn't the entire Tecmo's Deception line of games like this, only with running around and stuff. And not 80s, I guess.

Also, Night Trap.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Played a few hours of Evil Within last night.

That game is bizarre as gently caress. I mean, I was expecting a sort of Haunting Grounds / Resident Evil 4 mashup, where you needed to hide from big guys but regular guys could be taken down with guns if necessary, set in a typical asylum setting.

What I got was a Resident Evil 4 meets Splinter Cell game, taking place in, so far, a village, and also everything is hosed except it isn't and what the hell is going on. It's just so loving weird and trippy. Gotta get brain goo to upgrade my abilities and weapons(?), one of the first things you find is ammo for a weapon called a freakin' Agony Crossbow, there are giant keys scattered about.

Also the traps loving suck. Tried to disable one next to a ladder, whoops, started climbing the ladder. Boom, dead. Tripwire traps kill me more than enemies do.

There's also a really annoying thing where the game starts you off at low health, a point which you automatically regenerate to, after a certain cutscene at the beginning, and at no point tells you that it isn't your maximum health. So I assumed that you just were as resilient as a paper bag until you upgraded your health.

It's not a bad game, per se, it's just almost nothing like what I was expecting in terms of tone, or gameplay, or plot.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I just hope it's called The Silent Hills. Just 'Silent Hills' sounds awkward. But maybe that's just because I'm used to the singular, I suppose if the series had been called that from the start, it wouldn't sound strange to me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Seriously, how did the franchise turn itself around before immediately going to poo poo again with the follow-up? Sonic Boom looks like it's basically the "Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures" of the Sonic franchise.

But whatever, that franchise will never die. Silent Hill? Maybe.

Sonic Boom is just...just awful. I watched a video of the first, uh, level I guess, and I have no idea how someone designed this and thought "Yeah. Yeah, okay so this Sonic game that features brawling combat and almost no running, this is good. Also, lovely templated platforming segments in a lifeless environment. Yeah, this is great, let's make this."

Everyone is going on about Knuckles' design, but I think that's the absolute least of the game's problems.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

One of the reasons I'll never play the HD version is what they did to the fog, it basically butchers any creepy atmosphere the game has, especially in the boat scene:

I mean come on, you can literally see the edge of the world here:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Okay so Evil Within is getting better now that I'm out of the starting few chapters. Still weird though, now the hiding spaces never get used, and it's much more of a RE4-style game (with minor stealth elements). Now that I actually have weapons, like the crazy AGONY CROSSBOW, I can take on multiple enemies at once...the only worry is that one enemy that shows up around chapter 4-ish, the multi-armed long-haired woman. Loading screen tips literally say that she can be killed, but it's almost certainly not worth it.

I'll give the game credit for genuinely creating moments of fear that aren't just based around worry about jump scares showing up, but about some freaky-rear end thing that'll tear my poo poo apart. Few games do that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I just wish the plot was more coherent. It's not even discordant in a cool, insane kind of way. My friends and I are on, I think, Chapter 9, and there's little in the plot keeping us interested - it just seems like a random mishmash of locations with little or no reason to them at all. You're in a sewer! Now you're in a village! Now you're in some catacombs! Now you're back in the hospital! More caves!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I beat Evil Within a couple days ago.

That game is weird in every way - story, gameplay, theme. Not a terrible game, but it has no focus. Found myself groaning whenever I had to fight a boss, too, so that's not a really good indication. It's a game worth maybe 20-30 bucks, and that's if you're really looking for a game that's extremely similar to Resident Evil 4 in gameplay.

This is a weird thing to like, but I did enjoy their implementation of New Game+, how you can replay chapters to get collectibles or upgrades, or start a new game with these new weapons you've unlocked. I'd probably try to platinum this game if the super-hard difficulty didn't sound like the absolute pits.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

To be honest this ruined the game for me. It didn't help that the game's marketing and early end were really kind of deceiving. All the trailers, adverts and so on show the handful of real spooky atmosphere in the game, with SOME combat and the handful of big spooky setpieces. Any demos I saw were only for the early part of the game, again where all the atmosphere was. Like yeah you could say look up gameplay stuff, but I didn't wanna just sit there and watch a full LP of a game I planned on playing, so again it was the early parts again at most.

So then after about the first handful of areas it just turns into RE4, tons of combat which was done well, but not really what I had wanted. Then the game just doesn't know what it wants to be. At times it was spooky "Dark poo poo's going down" story, then it wants to be hammer horror bordering on laughs, then it wants to be some psychological thriller or an outright action movie. Like jesus christ did the entire design team work, sealed off into different rooms for the duration? Not to mention the characters being these weirdly straight-faced, flat people only worked in some of those situations, otherwise it's like an [Actor Missing] feeling.

I shot a guy with a harpoon in the face, and his entire face exploded. Just his face, mind you, not his head, so there's just a giant hole in the middle of his head that I can see through. My friends and I were laughing so hard that he had time to approach and kill me.

I seem to remember them introducing an enemy something like 4/5ths of the way through the game, too, which was bizarre. Stuff like that, or the invisible enemies, of which there are only like four or five in the entire game (and not boss fights or anything), or the swimming that is used only at very specific points make me think that the development of this game was a disjointed and/or rushed affair. Also, the crazy story that doesn't go anywhere or explain anything beyond the base premise of the game: you're in this guy's mind, in a machine. Why? No idea. Why are they worried about him escaping? No idea. Why is Leslie the most important one? No idea. Why is the doctor in there with you? No idea. Who's the man in the cell? Etc. Hell, the final boss fight is a crazy mishmash of game mechanics - at one point utilizing stealth for the first time in like four or five hours. Except not really stealth, just some silly avoid-the-spotlight gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Carecat posted:

Spookys house of jump scares going from cutesy to hosed up is a neat touch but having most of the game be empty rooms and the odd SCP enemy is a missed opportunity.

Playing The Evil Within but not appreciating the amount of stealth, I'd have liked a bit more ammo and a bit closer to RE4 instead of Metal Gear Zombie.

Trust me it gets a lot less stealthier as the game progresses