Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I told my friends to buy it without looking anything up, and I have also purchased it only seeing a few clips. I don't know if it'll be the best, but I think it'll be worth $12 CAD if nothing else.

I do like that there's a role for people who'd rather not confront terrors, and instead monitor the equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

dogstile posted:

Yes, it would be a shame if the ship wasn't always safe. Very unfortunate indeed

My gf, who always takes the 'back in base' role for spooky games like this, is gonna get a real fright i think.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Song of Horror is a weird game, its basic gimmick it that it's a horror adventure game (there's no combat) with 'permadeath' but what is really means is you have three or four characters for each chapter and if they all die you have to start the chapter again. Which is just, why? Its full of dumb gotchas designed to kill you plus instead of combat it randomly makes you do one of 5 qte's sometimes which kill you if you fail them but occasionally one will spawn that makes you find a hiding place where there is none near enough to get to before you die.
The biggest wtf I had was one chapter has a guy who has a gun, which allows him to survive an event that will kill others however if he dies his ghost can completely randomly show up to unavoiably kill your current character.

I tossed it in the bin after that.

My friends played this last night and yeah, it's very weird. I don't mind the minigame qtes as they inject a sense of tension into it, and it forces you to keep in mind where the hiding spots are (they're marked on the map and there's generally one every few rooms). The random auto-kill interactions are dumb as hell though.

"Look in the tub?"
- sure
"You hosed up and are dead."
Like, at least make there be a qte to not just be killed.

Hilariously, there's one spot in the first chapter where you have to go out a window of an attic, but it has to be the right one. Pick the wrong one and your character will calmly open the window, put one leg out, then the other, then simply leap to their death. Fuckin...why??

Aside from that stuff, I'm still liking it. The story, too, it's got some neat ideas I've not seen before. We'll see how I feel after playing more than one episode though!

Edit: I also find it funny how little stake some of the characters have. One character is literally there to fix the electricity in the house. Like, some characters are finding their wife, or trying to get to the bottom of this mystery, but personally if I was hired to do some routine fixing in a location and a dark evil tried to murder me, I'd think maybe it's time to leave and communicate this to my boss.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 24, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

For the 'unsettling weirdness' part of Control I would nominate Severance.

It even has "The Board", the unseen, unheard governing body of the company.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I can't believe Kojima stole the concept of a third person game from FromSoft, the inventors of third person games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Len posted:

See people keep saying it's stupid, but you name one other battery that let's you focus the light beam of any flash light and also regenerates its charge. You can't because there isn't one :colbert:

Duracell can't dispel the impenetrable barrier of shadow surrounding evil presences like Energizer™ can.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Is Sonic Adventure 2 butt rock? It's bad and it's very good

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm currently watching a video about Raging Loop, and I'm wondering if I should stop and play the game myself - part of me is interested in it, but I'm pretty sure I've heard that the game isn't very good (especially since the video's title calls it a hot mess).

Worth it? Or should I just watch these spoilers instead?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Apparently Sony Pictures is making an Until Dawn movie which raises the question of...why?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Hel posted:

Are they actually making one or is it just n announcement that will peter out onto nothing like most video game movies?

"In the works", so chances are it's what you said. But we'll see. I just see it being a pretty standard monster flick, when all the interactivity in the plot is stripped out.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

man nurse posted:

Fatal Frame was the most under appreciated horror series of its day and 2 scared me as a young’n to the point where I could barely play it alone.

3 is prettt cool, it’s got that Silent Hill 4 thing going on with a safe space that gradually becomes encroached on and eventually hostile.

I think the series has kinda dipped in quality with 5 in particular, but I appreciate that they’re being represented at all in the modern era.

Fatal Frame was so spooky to my friends and I that we organized a weekly get-together to play through it in a lit room. Then we played the second. Then the third. Then we started other games. And now, something like 14 years later, we still get together every week to play games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The Shame Boy posted:

Fatal Frame 5 is the last game i wanted saved off of the Wii-U and one of the ones i honestly thought they would never bring over. But here we are

I remember the broken neck lady ghost from 2 was the big reason i stopped playing she just creeped me out so much! Although the big tall lady in the hat in 5 is pretty freaky too! She's the one that's based off an actual japanese ghost story thing as well i think?

Hachishakusama, or Eight Feet Tall. Apparently a recent urban legend, this is supposedly from a 2chan board in 2008.

Yeah the ghost design in FF2 was excellent.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Yeah I got a project. Project D████ Nutz

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

studio mujahideen posted:

i had some issues with immortality that ended up kinda spoiling it

Yeah man I hate being a vampire too

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The first Penumbra was the weakest, with Frictional kinda just getting their footing with aspects like killer dogs that patrolled areas, but it's still good. The sequel really shines. The third game is simply a puzzle game with horror vibes (that I wrote a walkthrough on to cash in on an Amazon gift card).

Amnesia nails the horror vibes, but the gameplay isn't quite as good.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My friends and I played A Short Message tonight, and oof. What a real bad game. On one hand, you can sort of see what the developers were trying to say, but the message is so heavy handed and clumsily written that it's like a parody of these sorts of things. Plus the gameplay itself sucks, just walking from one document to another while the main character just keeps talking like an adult might think a gloomy teen talks like.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Anita is basically walking around saying "I don't like myself and have low self esteem" out loud constantly, the mother is shouting "I am a bad mother and I don't like you and I am very mean and abusive!" every time you see a message scrawled on the wall (trauma in this game manifests as mean things on the wall), and Maya speaks like a loving cryptid in every scene she's in.

Then Anita will see a monster, flee for her life into a room twenty feet away, close the door behind her and stand there while calmly texting her friend about how they're both on meds because they're both clinically depressed.

It's just such a bad game. The writing, the depiction of any sort of trauma, every character, it's got all the subtlety of a brick.

"I'm not a bad mother. Well, time to lock up my children in the closet. I'm so jealous of the people that are always out all the time, why can't I go out? Anyway I can't clean up because I'm out all the time. "

The fact that a town got foggy for a bit and now they call the feeling of being surrounded by fog "Silent Hill Syndrome" is an absolute joke.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Selenephos posted:

I mean... I joke with my nerdy friends all the time that I'm stuck in Silent Hill when it's really foggy here. But yeah, don't disagree. There is great environmental design and a good concept buried somewhere but every single way you can imagine how badly a story can be delivered, was delivered.

Oh yeah 100% same. But it'd be like in the real world if foggy hallucinations got called Grand Banks Syndrome or something.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Kuon, Parasite Eve or Clock Tower?

I mean those are three very different kinds of spooky games

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

The Original SNES release. Always meant to get around to checking it out same with PE. Kuon I just recently discovered and kind of just want to jump into it. Just seeing what people think since I'm quickly running out of RE games to play.

Should play Clock Tower. It's relatively short, relatively easy, and takes a great amount of influence from Giallo films, producing a number of memorable scenes as a result.

Edit: That starting scene when the lights going out was genuinely chilling, even when playing it on an emulator.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Read After Burning posted:

:same: I would also like to know.

I assume it's SM64.Z64

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I liked 8 but didn't like its Mercenaries mode. Felt less like the cool horde attack stuff from earlier games and more just like an optimization puzzle that got boring really quickly.

I also think the main game could've done with a different structure rather than just having you go through each leader like they're a mega man level. The doll lady gets like five minutes of screentime when she could've been a threat that pervaded numerous parts of the game. Heisenberg was a neat concept but his area was just too long and bland. Fish boy should've been cut entirely. Dimitrescu could've been more interesting as a de facto ruler of the town in her castle that had more of a buildup rather than a single castle level then a boss fight.

Still liked the game enough to play it through a few times, but yeah I always wonder why they picked the simplest, easiest level structure rather than one that could've been more interesting.

Sakurazuka posted:

8 was better than 7 but I'd be happy if they never went back to first person RE

Yeah bring back third person for the next one imo

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

dogstile posted:

Five wasn't the best RE game but it is one of the best co-op games i've played.

My friend and I started the game one evening when it came out and basically played it until 4 in the morning when we finished it. Undeniably fun as a coop game, despite its...problematic elements.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The Colonel posted:

it is weird to me how much re7 and 8 hold utter contempt for evelyn. why does the mold girl who was being emotionally manipulated by ethan's weird bioterrorist wife have to be pure evil but the girl who's half wesker gets to live in a nice house with her adoptive family

Probably because the mold girl, if not 'emotionally manipulated', goes murder mode, infects everything around her, and mind-controls people to force them to become her family.

She was taken in by a kind family, the Bakers, and treated nicely, and then she infected them one by one and turned them into mutated psychopaths.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The Colonel posted:

no my problem here isn't casting my moral judgment on re7 and re8's view of evelyn i specifically just think that the specific angle they go at with writing evelyn is kind of odd and mostly boring because it's weirdly focused on exonerating every other character who did anything bad. it makes her a boring villain and it sticks out kinda weirdly when resident evil's done a similar plot beat before that i think was a cooler take on it, and re8's additional stuff around her only feels sillier and stupider

also i'm not sure why you're putting emotionally manipulated in scare quotes that was literally mia's day job. mia's day job was pretending to be a bioweapon mold girl's fake mom cause a bioterrorist organization was paying her a lot of money for it. that's just what the plot is

Because using the term 'emotionally manipulated' holds certain connotations to it that don't really pertain to keeping an emotionally unstable superhuman from killing everyone around them.

I mean, they could've added depth to the character, sure, but that's not really been what the RE series has often been about (I haven't played all of them, just the numbered ones). It's big monsters and evil corporations and bioweapons that are bad. Hell, there's enough tragedy in the Bakers and what happened to them.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Just watched a playthrough of a game called Reveil. A somewhat standard indie horror, it's definitely more than it appears, and is buoyed by some excellent visual design. Worth a watch, if nothing else.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

In the RE-verse, badass action heroes experience life over their shoulder, while normies or those not-yet badasses experience it from fixed perspectives.

Ethan sees things in first person because he's a weird little guy.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Everyone should know by now that reviews, and review scores, are bad and useless. They're good for pointing out if a game has some critical flaws, is half-finished, or made by chuds or something, but that's pretty much it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Started playing Amnesia: The Bunker last night with some friends. Ooh boy it creepy. Also I'm, I guess, 'bad' at it, as much as one can be with a game like this. Feel like I'm wasting resources while at the same time having too many resources to store (so I guess maybe not wasting them too badly), stumbling around in the dark cause I put some fuel in but it burned out before I got to where I needed to be, etc.

Anyway, still really liking it. I do like the sort of organic approach it has to mechanics, especially around the monster, like learning you can block holes or how to scare it off.

Really don't like the rats though. Getting wounded and turning to see that two of those little bastards are following me as I try to desperately find some bandages is something i don't like much at all

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Picked up Cosmodread for PSVR2, though I'm not really sure I know why. Apparently it's a really good game as far as horror VR titles go, but it contains a bunch of stuff I don't particularly enjoy, such as a lack of meta-progression, a draining oxygen supply that needs to be filled via consumables, and respawning enemies (sort of). It's definitely spooky though I'll give it that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

pedrovay2003 posted:

Without spoiling anything, even after the Final Transmission DLC, they definitely left it open for a sequel, but I don't know if that's going to happen now because of the sales numbers. If we do get more from the IP, though, I'd play more.

Good news!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/th...s-to-dead-space

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I just played the new content on Lethal Company and oh boy there is nothing quite like strolling through a graveyard of mechs and then having three of them immediately activate and start firing rockets at you. Jesus christ I thought I was going to have a heart attack, I don't think I've ever been so jumpscared.

My friend later said "I just switched to you when you got inside the building and all I heard was whimpering"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

MockingQuantum posted:

ngl I would love more games that look like basic unassuming games like pool (billiards) or various simulators but are secretly horror games, but that's the sort of thing that I'm sure would get spoiled immediately these days and kind of ruin the experience. I just have nostalgia from an early internet era where there were all kinds of urban legends of "haunted" video games or "hacked" cartridges and would love a game that simulates that experience in a cool way but I have no idea how you pull that off in an age where horror games are probably mostly marketed through YT & Twitch, much less the difficulty of marketing a game like that in the first place. I'm not sure how you'd even target the intended audience with a secret horror game, lol

You should check out Greener Grass Awaits. It's a neat little first-person golfing game with a liminal, unsettling vibe. Lasts about an hour or so, given how good you are at golfing.

Edit: don't read the comments

Double Edit: If you just want to watch someone play it, here's a good LP without any of that annoying commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLEwoqzajQk

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

What are the latest horror games with bomb rear end graphics/art design? I finished AitD and as a kid who was obsessed with the OG and replayed it a fuckton to uncover all the lore with no guide on hand I felt like it was a really great homage to the original game. Combat was very mediocre but the atmosphere, story, and music was consistently high quality. I also liked the visual design A LOT. You can tell the art team had a good grasp on color theory and how to manipulate lighting to set the mood, and of course, the audio design was just top notch.

Speaking of, what are some other horror games with great sound design? Besides obvious stuff like SH.

No idea how good it actually is, but Bye Sweet Carole has a fantastic Disney aesthetic, coming out sometime this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuM4LqSR_5A