Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Acne Rain posted:

"indie walking simulation" is a buzzword these days but there's a few games like it I like (Yume Nikki, Gone Home). And many I hated (Every Day the Same Dream, Passage, Home) The trick is giving the player something to think about. That means not being direct and deadpan about absolutely everything that is in your story. Challenge their imagination instead of reflexes or stat counting.

I find Gone Home is less of a 'walking simulation' and more of an exploration game. I mean, yes, ostensibly you can just walk around the house, but 90% of the enjoyment comes from exploring it and learning about the people that inhabit it. You have some agency in the level of depth that you can explore these people's lives - if you really wanted to, you could just beat the game in, what, 30 seconds or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Is the combat in Dreadout more involved than just pointing your camera at the ghost and clicking as rapidly as possible? That was the biggest problem I had with the early, early demo. After coming from Fatal Frame, where you had to aim and time your shots to get the most out of them, removing an ammo system and an aiming system feels like it reduces the game quite a bit.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The hero of Dark Souls 1 is also implied to have become the king of Dark Souls 2, the large lumbering brain-dead guy that you can watch stumble around in circles, attacking only if you attack him. He's not the villain, but it's his corrupted actions that have brought the land to ruin, though they were certainly influenced.

All this talk of King's Field kind of makes me want to try it. How long are the games to play through?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The best character in Walking Dead Season 2 dies in the first five minutes, and that loving sucks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I wrote a walkthrough on GameFAQs of Dementium 2 to get like $20 Amazon bucks. I couldn't believe how much email I received for that, I think the last one I received was last year.

Edit: It has a cliffhanger ending, which annoyed me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Shattered Memories is incredible, I was shocked at the middling to negative reception it received from some folks when it first came out. I really appreciated how it goes its own way with the ice motif and the slowly changing looks of one enemy type instead of going for cheap shocks like Homecoming did.

Everything about Shattered Memories is really cool, except for the gameplay itself. When you realize that the entire game is either a) wandering around safely, checking things out, or b) running blindly with nothing to look at and no respite, things get pretty dull.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Niggurath posted:

I don't remember many, if any, cheap instant deaths. Like what sections had these? And Sebastian was more than just a random guy, he did have some connection to Ruvik and was damaged enough for him to be more susceptible to the machine.

I know I loving hated the motion-detecting mines that straight-up ignored enemies. I was expecting to use them as a cool trap, but nope.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

You know, I've never actively wished for a company to go bankrupt, but after that Silent Hill video, and reading what their corporate practices are like, I think I'll make an exception for Konami.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My roommate bought Until Dawn on an impulse and we played it through - fantastic, even though it's not as choose-your-own-adventure as people make it out to be. Your choices have much more of an influence than, say, a Telltale game, but moreso on the characters than the overall story.

Top notch graphics, and except for Emily, pretty good acting too. I'm also a sucker for jumpscares, so I don't mind them.

It works extremely well as a game played in a group, with people watching - it's the best horror movie I've ever played, that's for sure.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, allowing for any of the 8 teens to die or survive in any combination allows for a lot more control over the outcome. There's not a ton of ending variation, but it means that you don't get the issue from other narrative games where major character deaths are inevitable and your choices are all for naught.

Also it makes you feel super bad when a character you really liked dies due to your actions :(.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

So my friends and I are doing a second run through Until Dawn, except this is our Everybody Is an rear end in a top hat and Incompetent run. And let me tell you, except for adept it is at exposing the problems with the whole 'choose your narrative!!' gameplay, it is marvelous. We're only halfway through the plot but right now it's just so special watching everyone.

No plot spoilers below but eh just to be safe:

Mike is an incompetent fool who tries so hard to be heroic but can't go ten feet without running face first into something. Also he's a giant dick but that doesn't stop the ladies from lovin' him! Matt hates everyone who hates his girlfriend. Unless he's alone with his girlfriend in which case he hates her too. Emily's a bitch. This does not change. And Chris is just a guy who wants to get laid.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

mangler103 posted:

I did my first runthrough of Until Dawn all in one sitting, which I don't think I've ever done with any game the first time I played. I'm eager to try out some new strategies and play through all over again. I really want to see what happens when I take every opportunity to steer every character towards certain death.

The scene where Mike has to chase Jessica is just wonderful to behold. There are literally four or five QTEs in a row involving ducking under logs or jumping small ledges and he just runs, full-tilt, into every single one of them, and just gets laid out every time. And he just keeps going. He's so precious :allears:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Eternal Darkness was so great. It's the best Lovecraftian game without actually featuring any of his creations. Did a great job of showing how insignificant humanity was in the face of these colossal, unknowable beings.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I would say "let's just make a soma thread" but then this thread would die again.

I would laugh if something comes out where Penumbra/Amnesia/Soma were all connected in some kind of Tarantino-esque universe. They certainly have a hard "a" in all the titles, why not mesh the stories together?

The 'Uh' Universe

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Skyscraper posted:

That game scared me when I was 12. I have to assume it scared someone else.

Scared the poo poo out of me and I don't think I even left the attic.

Now it just scares me with how bad it is. Instant-kills, dead ends that can leave you hosed, weird puzzles, and those graphics.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Does anyone remember that top-down horror game that I think is/was in Early Access, where you were trying to barricade and defend a house in the middle of the woods from unpleasant denizens of the night? It may have had points where you needed to go out into the woods, perhaps during day.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Zombie Samurai posted:

Might be Darkwood, though part of me feels like there was another one.

Perhaps, but this was definitely the one I was thinking of.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Popular Human posted:

IIRC there's another one called Caffeine that is similarly vapor-y.

From its Steam page: "Caffeine is a quirky -" and with that I stopped reading.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

System Shock 2 has issues about objectives not being clear, with tiny text on the screen needing to be read, a confusing map, and an interface that's a little bonkers. Also the last 1/3 - 1/4 of the game really sucks compared to the rest.

Game is still the best horror game of this millenium, in my opinion. Shodan's reveal was pretty awesome for me, but must've been just loving mind-blowing for a fan of the first System Shock. And the whole 'audio logs starting during peace and continuing while poo poo goes wrong' thing was such a fantastic idea that horror games have been copying it ever since.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Polygon ran a feature about the new Friday the 13th game, as I found out from its new podcast this morning. It sounds, well, pretty good. Teleporting Jason, horror movie cliches, a serial killer than can track blood and fear.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 14, 2015

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

SkeletonHero posted:

Does anyone know if Fatal Frame 5 is any good? I loved the first two but something just felt off about the third one. I've been waiting on 5 with cautious optimism. Using the Wii U pad as the camera sounds great in theory.

I found 3 to be okay, certainly the worst of the three but not too bad, but 4 was just...eh. Story was lackluster, didn't care for the characters, and the final boss fight had a piano-playing segment that was more challenging than the boss itself.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Man, never look at bonus costumes for female characters in a Japanese game, down that road lies madness.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Yeah I'm going to, uh, fourth the good opinion on Last Door. If you're an adventure game junkie then it may be too easy/simple for you, but I really liked playing through it, and I usually get frustrated by the genre. Some really spooky bits, the story is suitably horrific, with all the right kinds of horror, and there are a few hidden scenes scattered throughout the game that really add to it. I don't know if they're ever planning a sequel, but I'd play it for sure.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Zombie Samurai posted:

:spooky: RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES :spooky:

24. Uncanny Valley

(More store screenshots, overlay was busted for me.)

drat, that sounds really cool....I may have to pick this one up. How jump-scary is it?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

been playing Until Dawn with my gf since we rented it on a Redbox, it's pretty entertaining so far. I think we're up to Chapter 4, Peter Stormare's character/role is pretty unsettling and I love it.

The game is pretty great when you take it as an interactive B-movie. And yeah, Stormare is great. I saw him in an episode of Arrow and immediately blurted "Wait is that the guy from Until Dawn?"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

For Rule of Rose I had a guide written by the developer of the game itself and I still had no idea what the hell was going on in the plot by the time I had finished it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I wouldn't say it's terrible, but it certainly is disappointing. The location's backstory isn't very interesting, and character motivations are nebulous at best, and idiotic at worst. Also, because they're actually free to come and go as they please from the main location of the game (a mountain), there's no real oppressive fear like some of the other FF games have given, when you're trapped in a supernatural location that simply wants you dead.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Foxhound posted:

Yeah but in order to see those places you'd have to play Murdered soul suspect which is probably illegal in most countries with anti-torture laws.

Oh it's not that bad. It's below-average in many ways, especially with the inclusion of combat, but I played through it with some friends without tearing out my eyes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Foxhound posted:

I played the fifth game recently. It wasn't that bad once you got past the start. It had a few moments but overall it was kind of a letdown horror-wise. Kinda wanna try the earlier games now, at least if the sale hits Europe.

My friends and I have played every Fatal Frame, and in fact it's the game that started what is now a weekly game night (since it was was 2spooky to play alone). But as the series has progressed, it's just gotten less...everything. Less scary, less fun, less interesting.

The fifth one is playable, but the characters make such boneheaded decisions, ghosts are repeated so much, and I'm getting a little tired of the 'multiple characters' thing they keep using. Especially when all but one of the characters are inconsequential to the story as a whole.

Edit: Like seriously! Stop going to the mountain you loving idiots.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I guess it's better than Homecoming also the main bad guy looks exactly like John Carpenter

Appropriate, since he's also voiced by John Carpenter.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Fatal Frame 4 wasn't very good. Like 5, there was a lack of good 'lore' in the game - most of what was happening was due to fairly modern events, as you're mostly exploring a hospital. Also the final boss sucked - you need to stun it then play a piano using the wiimote - gently caress up, and you have to fight it again. It took a single fatal frame/zero shot to kill it, but I hosed up that stupid piano game three times. Felt extremely anticlimactic.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Skyscraper posted:

Man, where's THAT sequel, something that plays like PE1?

I beat PE1 a couple of years ago and...drat, I really thought it was terrible. It had some pretty cool ideas, but the balance of weapons was terrible, combat was repetitive, the story was trash (along with all of the characters), and many of the areas were poorly designed, given the fixed camera. Especially the final boss. Jesus, who thought that was a good idea?

Edit: For reference, you have to beat the final boss of the game, then escape through a tunnel while it chases you. If it touches you at any time, you die. If you take a wrong turn (which there is no indication of, it's just some corridors on a ship), the boss will catch you and you die. If you linger at any of the area transitions, of which there are...4 or 5?, the boss immediately appears at the ladder/trapdoor/door, and you die. I'm talking, like, a second after the screen loads. And if you die at any point in this entire sequence, you have to start over from the beginning of the cutscene before the boss, then you get to fight it again and repeat the entire sequence. It's the worst part in the entire game.

Oh and right after beating the boss, there's a save point. If you try to use it, the boss will catch you and you will die.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 29, 2016

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

SirDrone posted:

What exactly makes horror anime games or in general horror anime scary?, it just doesn't click with me no matter how many times I try to look at it through different aspects? imo It's like trying to make a horror story through loving stick figures.

Typically a combination of unsettling subject matter, good atmosphere, and good music (which, I guess, goes with the 'atmosphere'). One can make scrolling text spooky if they're good enough, and usually it's much better than horror that relies on wondering when the next jump scare is going to appear with another musical sting.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

unpacked robinhood posted:

I honestly wish this guy milks his franchise for as long as it works.

He seems like someone who genuinely likes what he does, and I'm okay with this. Shame his RPG wasn't good.

Plus it makes for good Youtubin', with the right youtubers anyway.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I reviewed that game, and it came in a white sleeve as just a generic NOT FOR RESALE CD, with really added to the surrealness of the game. Had no idea what the gently caress was going on in it, pretty sure I looked up an explanation a month later or something.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Crabtree posted:

That's only if you go about ritualistically murdering Konami executives in order to merge our world with the world where that Silent Hill was made. There needs to be more games where designers or game companies themselves are killed like that one Japanese DS game that was like The Ring but for gameboys.

You're thinking of Nanashi no Game

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Is D a good game, or at least an entertaining one? My friends and I play horror games every week and I'm wondering if this'd be a good addition.

Also I want to just say over and over again "I got the D, guys, I can't wait to show it to you."

Edit: Because I'm a child, you see.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Watch lets plays of D and D2 first I'd say

Before playing them? Why's that?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Yeah, the only reason I even played Penumbra was because I wanted more amnesia. All of them are solid though

The first Penumbra was alright, the second was really good, the third was...not good. It was weird, like they wanted to make a puzzle game and just had a horror game engine lying around so they thought "Eh fuckit."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Doctor Goat posted:

Are there many good horror games that give you everything you need to take care of the threats?

Resident Evil 4-6 and Dead Space 1-3 are pretty golden for it, but I've gone through those.

Resident Evil 0 gave you more than enough ammo to take everything down without having to resort to dodging threats or whatever. It was the first RE game I played because of this fact.