Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

I wonder if this is the first videogame representation of a furry.

Ineffiable posted:

Was moons of madness any good?

Took me 6 hours with reading everything and exploring, taking my time. It was pretty good.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Sakurazuka posted:

It got delisted in like 2013 lol

Well poo poo, now I'm glad I picked it up on steam back in the day.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Got the AITD collectors edition because I'm such a fanboy of the original PC game. Was simultaneously my first horror game, my first introduction to lovecraft style horror, and first legitimate PC gaming experience (other than playing Doom at 5 FPS). I like the statues that came with the collectors edition, they go fairly well with my OG PC box and feelies. Haven't started it yet as I finished up my Rebirth plat literally last night after playing the game straight for over a month, and I still need to finish Separate Ways DLC.

However I'm really looking forward to it despite middling reviews. From what I've skimmed it goes hard on lore/texts (as did the OG), has crappy combat (as did the OG), and people are baffled by the end game boss (as it's the same one as the OG). What could I not love?

Arkage fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 8, 2024

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I started the new Alone in the Dark and there are two things that already make it worth it to me. The first is the music, which is insanely good to the point that it's one of the best OSTs I've heard, the second is the sound design which is absolutely top tier. Playing this game with good headphones rules, you go into a bathroom and hear old clanking pipes, water dripping, trickling, the ticking of a clock, the wind blowing against the window. The whole tapestry of sound is rich as a mfer.

The graphics aren't very high fidelity, but there's good art design, area design, and color use in the game. The lighting is especially impressive, not necessarily in a technical way, but more so how they use color and well positioned lighting and shadow to give each room its own sense of ambiance and personality. It's a game that nails the sleepy haze of a hot summer in the deep bayou where everything is eerie.

I get a lot of Gabriel Knight vibes from this too, (goat without horns) with it going into the voodoo aspects.
Def a clunker to play, but as a mood piece it succeeds very well, the story is good thus far and I love the VO for the written notes. The atmosphere is just great in general.

While the jazz portions of the OST are very good, the orchestrated portions are absolute mediocre synth trash.