Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

AllLuckySevens posted:

Recently downloaded dreadout on steam. Seems like a fatal frame-esqu experience, I'll update with impressions. Any FF fans here? Always loved the idea
Having played pretty much every Fatal Frame to completion and enjoying all of them, I was really looking forward to Dreadout. And while it started out good, there were a lot of poor choices made in design and in regards to puzzles. There's also the problem that right now the game is not complete and can easily be finished in about 1-2 hours (also the fact that the penalty for dying is having to walk longer and longer distances in an empty void). But the ghosts and the lore, and not being just another Slender clone really helps the game in my eyes. It's just a shame that it got released so half-assedly....and with the unnecessary skeezy costumes. Seriously, what was the point in those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Tgent posted:

What's the best way to play silent hill 2 these days? I love horror games but I've never played it.
I quite enjoyed the PC port myself; took a bit of work to get going but to me it was the best looking version.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think Nintendo can afford to not localize something people are actually interested in on the Wii U, but who the gently caress knows it's Nintendo so maybe it won't come out in Europe or some horseshit like that.
The problem with 4 was not so much that it was too costly to localize, it was more that Tecmo wasn't willing to fix the massive problems with the game. Easy to get crashes, doors loading solid walls instead of rooms blocking progression, and the inability to complete the ghost list were some of the more noticeable issues with the game. Which is a shame cause there is plenty of enjoyment to get out of Fatal Frame 4, but I really don't see Nintendo or Tecmo having too great of a motivation to release FF 5 outside of Japan. Hell, I'm not even sure why Fatal Frame 2 for the Wii got released in PAL but not NTSC markets.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

JordanKai posted:

I'd play a video game adaptation of Grave Encounters.
That does seriously seem like an insanity effect in Eternal Darkness but sadly in Fatal Frame 4 it was just a room not loading properly. Really the only game breaking thing I ran into with the game was if you got into a particular optional ghost fight when you went to continue on with the main story the next in-game cinematic would just lock up, but it could easily be solved by not doing the optional fight. Still a bit annoying though.

Also if it feels like it may at least fit into the horror/thriller genre, but I'm really looking forward to Gods will be watching. It looks like it might have plenty of elements of human horror without just outright being a horror game but that might just be me.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

I couldn't find the Silent Hill Megathread, so I figure this place would be the next relevant place to post this instead, Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro are making the next Silent Hill.

It's unknown if this is a tv project, or a game, or maybe both.
I had gotten more of an impression that the game was just using some engine from Kojima's studio and that he's not really attached to it, and honestly del Toro hasn't written or directed any recent bits of horror. So I'm still iffy on having any kind of hype with these two names attached, especially with the sheer lack of horror that Kojima has ever been attached to (though I must admit that Snatcher did have some pretty tense moments).

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

al-azad posted:

Related to your name, he's been trying to get At the Mountains of Madness made for years. Apparently Prometheus killed it which pisses me off so much.
Yeah, I remember hearing years ago that they were wanting to make that into a movie and I couldn't see it working too well. Lovecraft always worked more off the idea of tell and don't show because it's way too super spooky (and difficult) to actually view. But I want to believe that del Toro can be a good idea man and that it's super early to really be saying one way or another if this is going to be good.

I'd be happy to get another Downpour instead of another Homecoming.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Which game is better/scarier out of Amnesia, System Shock 2, Fatal Frame 2, and Clock Tower 2? Those are the non RE/SH survival horror games I hear the most about. Survival Horror is one of my favorite genres, but I haven't played much outside of RE and SH and Eternal Darkness. RE 1, RE2, SH1, SH2, and ED are probably all in my top 30.

I'm one of those people that believes RE fell apart at RE4.

Dead Space was a letdown. It wasn't scary because you were always too overpowered.
Hahahahaha, did you just say Clock Tower 2? Cause holy poo poo....the only good Clock Tower game was the first one or the PSX one. Or if you don't mind lots of skeeziness, there's also Haunting Ground. But please never get near Clock Tower 2.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DoctorOfLawls posted:

What would be the "correct" order to play through the Penumbra/Amnesia games?
Hmmm, play through Penumbra: Overture and then stop in that series, and play Amnesia: Dark Descent....and probably stop in that series. The second Penumbra was alright, but nothing amazing; and the third part of Penumbra is just stupid puzzles with no real story. And for Amnesia, the second one just removed game mechanics in lieu of a good story but they seemed to have left out the good story.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Are there any good (hopefully informative, non scarecams) LPs of Silent Hill Downpour? It's probably the only game in the series I haven't played or watched. (I was hoping there was one as good as the Kamoc Homecoming LP was, but that is just so insanely informative I don't think anyone can come close to it)
I'm pretty much hot garbage, but I was mostly informative and straight: http://lparchive.org/Silent-Hill-Downpour/

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm going to be blunt and ask if there are any other good LPs of Downpour out there, because personally I tried following yours and it doesn't work for me.
I take no offense, but you'll probably be hard pressed to find any informative or straight LP's for the game. It's not really the popular thing to do, especially when it comes to a game that is mostly thought of as poo poo.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

MantisToboggan posted:

Okay, this may not be the best place to ask this question but it's the horror game thread so why not? I'm trying to get into Silent Hill and I recently bought the HD Collection (I know it's supposed to suck but I only have an XBox 360). Anyway, I started playing SH3 and I'm having a tough time with the combat; I'm at the mall, and I try to run away from the enemies but they eventually shove me into a corner and all I have is a dinky little knife. Said knife doesn't seem very effective when two dog-monsters are chewing on me. I look for ammo for the pistol but I inevitably get killed before I can find any. Is there any trick to fighting I should be using? The game manual is useless.

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.
Run from all combat till you get the pipe is the best advice you can be given. Most of the combat in the game is optional and can be evaded.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Also you can probably get Realms of the Haunting for a little bit cheaper in this bundle: https://groupees.com/tuesday6

It's an alright, if fairly out dated game that mixes FPS and adventure game mechanics with alright FMV's.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Don't think I ever heard anyone in this thread talk about Lucius. Anyone comment on it? I mean, it can't be worse than Scratches can it?
It's a pretty linear and lackluster game where you find ways to kill people while you play the anti-christ.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So speaking of Resident Evil 4, has anyone heard anymore about Evil Within? It seems to not be getting much press coverage and I haven't seen any mention of a demo, or much in the way of a playable demo at any conventions. So with it being released in a month, I'm kinda wondering if this is a bad sign at all cause the trailers and some of the talks regarding it initially made it seem interesting as hell and like an actual survival horror game.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Thanks a lot for that video cause it actually really sells me on the game. It really seems more like a survival game rather than what RE 4 seemed to be, which was more of a straight action game that happened to have some horror elements behind it. But that video just showed off what seemed to be some great sound work and tension building, so I think I'll probably end up picking it up.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

This is true.

Though I always found egomaniac super good: http://lparchive.org/author/egomaniac

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Really like the sound of Deadly Premonition but don't have anything to play it on, is the LP worth a watch?
Yes, it's leaps and bounds better than letting people dupe you into thinking that charm makes up for a tedious and ugly game.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Honestly, I'm just pretty much looking forward to the game for what appear to be very ghastly set pieces as seen more in the TGS trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g8jcRBlbvA

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I think we can all agree though that it's really piss poor marketing to have 'definitely not actors' getting scared at a television to show you how super scary a game is. Between that, and the super bored guy being poo poo at the game, I don't know who they have handling their marketing.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

joylessdivision posted:

I seem to think I have the original Clock Tower in my big rear end folder o'roms so I'm not too worried about playing through that one. I've heard that CT3 is pretty absurd and kinda awful in a wonderful way, so I'm looking forward to that.

Finished SH3 today, I died so many times the game took pity on me and gave me beginner mode, which I promptly used because gently caress YOU SILENT HILL 3! Good game though.

I think by the time I wrap up the SH franchise I'll know for sure if I want to jump into a stand alone game for a bit or if I want to tackle another franchise, and there are plenty of stand alones that I have on my list of "poo poo to play".

Really giving consideration to picking up "I have no mouth, but must scream" off of GOG because it's super cheap and I've heard nothing but excellent things about it.
Just read the short story; the video game for "I have no mouth..." is obtuse, adventure game hot garbage.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Is it actually out though? I have it pre-loaded and it still says that it's unavailable, and from what I had heard was that the release date was the 14th and not the 13th?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I'm pretty interested to hear if that prepurchase survival pack makes any real factor for early on in the Evil Within. Initially it seemed like a pathetic pre-order bonus, but learning how sparse all the ammo is going to be makes it sound like it'll be more useful.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I might have to restart Fatal Frame 1 over. I may not be able to beat it now. How hosed am I if I just started the 3rd night and I have no medicine and none of the strong film left?

It took me a while to get used to the controls. It was about 6 or 7 ghost battles before I even realized you could walk backwards in camera mode. (You press down on the right analog stick) I took a lot of stupid damage from the easy ghosts in the beginning.

I'm at the point now where I'm reloading the save every time I get hit by a ghost and that's not any fun.
Are you having trouble with any particular ghost? And I think you should be able to refill the baseline film anytime you hit a save point camera, and if you've been upgrading your camera then most normal enemies are not too difficult to deal with. But I could probably give you a pointer if you're having trouble with a particular ghost.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Well, I'm fighting the ghost with the sword right now after you have to put a rope on 4 statues. I don't know if it's supposed to be hard but I only half a health meter left with no medicine. I can only withstand 2 hits, then I'm dead. I haven't been able to beat him without getting hit twice so far. It's pretty frustrating because every time I die, I have to go back to this room and put the rope on all 4 statues again in a specific order.

I think I'm going to start over. Even if I do manage to beat him, playing the rest of the game with half a health meter is probably going to be insanely frustrating.

As for ghosts I've been having trouble with throughout the course of the game, the woman with no eyes is always a real bitch to run into. She gets me for at least 1 or 2 hits every time. Even if I think I'm doing good on her and she's almost beat, she'll suddenly teleport right on top of me.
Yeah, the head of the family is indeed a massive bitch. He's got a huge range to attack you since he's got that sword and his fatal frame opportunity is super small. And honestly I went back to see how I beat him and it was pretty much be using 'Stop' when he goes into his fatal frame and just blowing him up with a full blast....and even then that took about five solid shots with Type-14. It's not an easy fight and just a bit of forewarning but you meet him again in a much worse spot to fight him, so practice on him if you can.

The blind lady is a little bit easier, though you are right in that she will sometimes teleport right on top of you. Are you having any troubles with the fatal frame timing or is it just her getting right on top of you unexpectedly? And also have you been using the special power lenses at all? Cause they can definitely help.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Do you mean the bonus functions? I haven't. They're so expensive and since you could only use it once, I figured it would be better to use all the money on getting the permanent upgrades.

The blind lady usually teleports and attacks me right after I hit her once. If I run after I shoot her, she still gets me most of the time.
Hmmm, things like 'Pressure' or 'Paralyze' are all permanent additions to your camera. The only caveat with using them is that they require special ammo to use, which are the spirit stones. The 'Paralyze' function in particular can be of great use if you're having troubles lining up shots on enemies. Though you are definitely right in that you should upgrade the basic functions before the special lenses.

And just to make sure, you are hitting her during the fatal frame opportunity, right? Cause yeah, if you don't then it merely gets her attention and she'll immediately attack you. Likewise she relies of motion to track you and once you make any move, she'll immediately know where you are and attack you. It's a pretty clever enemy pattern since she'll usually get up right in your face and make you want to run, but that's when she'll know where to get you.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I actually bought Theresia at the time because it looked and sounded really cool, but for some reason I never actually played it. Is it good?
For me it was a very mixed bag that couldn't hold my attention; the story was creepy enough but when there wasn't story it was walking around bland, empty corridors trying not to be killed by invisible traps that you have to trigger with wood. It feels like a VN where they clumsily shoved in game mechanics.

King Vidiot posted:

So is this game actually any good? The posters in the Steam thread seemed to universally think it was poo poo but I happen to have it from a bundle (probably?) so I'm wondering if I should give it a try now.
It's definitely playable and the combat is easy enough to pick up and master (though there's not much depth to it or the initial enemy variety, which makes it drag in the combat section after a while). In regards to the story...it's ummm a clusterfuck that takes a while to get going and once it does it still makes very little sense. It's worth a quick try though, but don't expect anything too amazing.

Also for anyone interested I'm pretty sure it's still being given away free from somewhere like bundlestars, and it's got steam cards so there's free money to be made off it at least.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

The Dregs posted:

With Halloween coming around I have been thinking of playing some horror games. I remember I tried out RE4 on the wii a few years back but never finished, partly because I dislike console gaming. It is 20 bucks on Steam, which is a pretty heft price tag. Is it worth it?
It's 10 bucks here: http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/resident-evil-4/ or you can wait till the weekend since there's supposed to be a Steam halloween sale. But from what I've heard it's a very good port, and HD upgrade that's basically using PC mods from years ago.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Doctor Bishop posted:

One very big thing to note: I dunno how the Wii version controls at all, but if you're expecting a game with smooth third-person-shooter-type controls, avoid the PC version of RE4 at all costs. The controls are clunkier and more annoying than a thousand steel dog turds.

But if you don't mind your horror games having clunky-rear end controls, then by all means, ignore me and go for it.
Yeah, don't confuse the 2005 PC release of Resident Evil 4 with the recent HD release of the game. They basically did a massive overhaul and it plays a billion times better (on a controller anyway, I've heard some complaints about mouse dead zones).

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Worldwide Panther posted:

I watched some of that game, it just seemed like walking endlessly while occasionally running from monsters that look like Edward Gorey's unpaid intern drew them. The darkness and shadow effects look really drat cool though.
I don't know; to me it was a super dull romp through generic scares and forced game play (hooray for stealth!) in a walking simulator type game. I'm sure the guy meant for it to be some introspective passion project and maybe works better for people with the same disorders/depression the creator has, but for me it was just very rudimentary jump scares and boring repetitive rooms.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So Silent Hill 4 isn't on the PSN store, is it? Wikipedia claimed it was and I got all excited, but it looks like it's not there. :(

I never got to play it, and even though a bunch of people hate it, I'd love a chance to try it out for myself some day. I mean I managed to force myself through Homecoming (and even enjoyed a few parts of it), so it can't be any worse than that, right?
You could always play the PC version. Works fine on modern OS' and isn't too difficult to find.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

axelsoar posted:

Speaking as a Michigander, I can agree. Also the game sucks.
But the game takes place in Chicago...also it's awful, so I agree on that front.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Relin posted:

Came to post asking if this was worth buying for 7.50 or not
Currently the game content is probably less than an hour long and the devs have been dragging their feet on making new content (outside of new outfits for the main character). I mean it's an alright experience but it's way, way not even close to done.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I never felt that Evil Within was unfocused, just that certain enemies and ideas were just relative to locations. And it makes sense to the overall theme of the game as you're jumping from memory to memory and everything is just kind of self contained. I like the fact that it shifts and gives some new game play options with each section, while still allowing in some small way to retain game play from previous sections. I mean, sure you can't stealth through the entire game but you can still do it later. Or the combat becomes more intense as your weaponry increases and you're able to improve your stats.

I mean there was definitely some rough spots and some groan worthy set pieces, like the Kitchen of Doom or the Blood Arena. But overall it was an enjoyable horror game when the market has become flooded with Slender or Amnesia clones.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Sadly Extermination didn't really age well and even for it's time, it was a bit of a bore that wasted a somewhat interesting setting with bizarre game play mechanics (like having a central weapon you strap attachments to and having to constantly refill a battery to open doors, or having to stave off infection along with paying attention to your health). Also it never really got scary because the writing was bad and the setup for most of the situations in game were generic.

VVVVV
Yeah, that was the bookstore puzzle. I also remember there was a puzzle to open the door in the hospital that was a bit troublesome.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 27, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

How does RE6 compare to RE4 and 5 if I liked both of them? I remember hearing a lot of bad things about it when it came out but it seems like that view has softened a lot since then and at least a few times people have said the mercenaries mode is quite good. I'm not expecting it to be SCARY, since Resident Evil hasn't been scary since... well ever really, but how does it fare as a horror-themed shooter a-la Dead Space and such?
It's pretty much RE5 but with way too many story lines, and a few basic game play mechanics that aren't very well explained (but apparently can be figured out pretty easily in Mercs mode). So if you liked RE 5 then you'll probably like 6, if you want something closer to the feeling of older RE's then try out Revelations.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

There's part of the problem, this is one of the worst ways to experience this game. Although it ended up getting a lot of YouTube LP traction due to being a horror game, it's a very unique experience that isn't done justice by watching people blather their way through it.

Even though I understand the criticisms, I strongly disagree with them, it's a unique and personal creation. Then again I'm also biased because it's the best run Kickstarter project I've backed so far, there was actual community involvement through the whole process and the game released in the timeframe given at launch. There have been hardly any projects that have done that.
The thing is that it doesn't come off as unique or personal; it seems like a bunch of cobbled together ideas from any number of horror sources with the backstory of the game's creator having a mental breakdown at some point. None of what came across in the game seemed relative to the creator's life or what I assumed he went through, and if there was meant to be some deeper symbolism then it was entirely lost. Now granted the art style was interesting and what drew me in initially, I completely lost interest once I realized it was just slowly walking towards a scare in repetitive rooms or backtracking through repetitive rooms to trigger another scare. Not to mention those silly kickstarter portraits littered around the game world....jesus, that game was such a let down.

It makes feel as letdown as knowing that Dreadout will probably take years to finish, and instead they'll just keep making new shirts or something for the main character to wear.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

re: indie walking. I kinda liked dear esther but I'll never play it again.

Is it in this thread that I heard about Year Walk ? I bought it because I vaguely associate it with someone on SA saying something about it, is it good ?
It's wonderful, albeit a bit short. It's a super atmospheric game and teaches you about Nordic folklore, and it's just a lovely tablet port.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

Haha were most of the portraits really just Kickstarter backers? That makes the let's play of it I watched doubly funny with the dude dutifully examining each portrait like "Okay this guy in this portrait looks like an older version of that guy in the other portrait. I'm sure this is deeply symbolic and also relevant to the story."
Yup:

Also you could pay a poo poo load of money to get a sound effect in the game. Poot.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

How does the PC version handle the companion app stuff? Because that's almost the coolest part.
Hmmm, if it's just the encyclopedia thing (which is seems to be from the app store) then yeah, that's include in the Steam version. There's actually a puzzle the necessitates it being there, at least in the steam version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So do any of you guys recall a horror game for the PS1 that had you going into a large cabin or mansion, and it was kind of a first person adventure game with light mechanics (i.e. illuminating a room by opening windows or some such nonsense). I definitely remember it was a lesser known horror game but I can't remember the name of it to save my life.