Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

the black husserl posted:

The game manages to perfectly hit that Stephen King zone between utterly stupid and absurd and actually kinda spooky, its p dope

Dissenting opinion, Alan Wake wasn't very scary or spooky or good. The base game is just a hair above all right until about the end. The two DLC episodes are better though, and American Nightmare was pretty good if just because Mr. Scratch is a much more interesting antagonist than the one in the base game. But I was never a fan of Bag of Bones so take that for what you will.

Four dollars is still very much worth it though for the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, it's not the massive truth bomb it's presented as. Even people with only a passing interest know he's racist for chrissake.

See I don't know that everyone with a passing interest does. Like if you've ever read him it's totally unavoidable, but if you just consume Cthulhu stuff from other sources that's been pretty sanitized of the racism. poo poo outside of that one overused quote about the unknown a lot of modern Lovecraftian stuff really doesn't have much Lovecraft. It's totally believable that some one with a passing interest actually sits down with Shadow Over Innsmouth and is caught offguard by the whole "actually the real evil was miscegenation." Y'know that or it's a cat named after a racial slur in a story that's just otherwise about some dude's horrible cannibal ancestors.

That's not saying it's a truth bomb or anything, just it's understandable that it surprises people. The real truth bomb is that "uhhh unknown is the real horror fears" is bullshit because those stories are about powerlessness, the arbitrary forces of nature, and racism.

Blockhouse posted:

Even the insight mechanic in Bloodborne isn't fully realized since while the effects of getting enough of it is cool frenzy is encountered so rarely that there's almost no penalty for having it maxed out.

I think that's kind of a consequence of it being a currency. They can't really penalize you for hoarding it without giving you a better way to dump it. Or well they could, but then it'd be a slightly different game.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Eh. Moon Presence is like a jealously possessive SO, and Oedon didn't give a poo poo what Mergo's birthing would do to the world around it. Like they're both wounded by losing kids, but Kos(m) and I guess Mergo are the only two really decent ones. Decent-sh.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

The Moon Presence needs an emissary to maintain the Hunter's Dream, and Mergo's birth didn't gently caress everything up so much as the School of Mensis obsessively trying to make contact with it. The Great Ones themselves are largely benign, but meddling from the School, Byrgenwerth, and the Healing Church made everything go all apocalyptic.

MP still kidnaps people for its own needs. Gherman wasn't exactly super into being the host. Should have tried to recruit Micolash, he'd probably be into it. Also if Yharnam down in the chalice dungeons is any indication, Mergo didn't need the oopsy-doodle Mensis to gently caress things up in the real world. I mean poo poo the whole chalice dungeon thing is an indictment of the Great Ones. The Pthumerians were supposed to be their sleepytime guards and Oedon only intervened to knock up the queen, not to actually save them from collapse. edit: poo poo, Oedon's pretty much uniquely responsible for the shitshow that is blood ministration.

2nd edit: poo poo, lots of Bloodborne talk. Question for the thread, is Lakeview Cabin Collection any good? I'm trying to line up my horror themed games for October, and I gave it a try recently and was mostly just perplexed. Worth sticking with?

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 24, 2017

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Cymoril posted:

The language used in both written notes and dialogue scenes was way, way too modern for this to have taken place however long ago it took place. Does anyone even know?

The house and your character and basically everything looks extremely early 1900s but there's a list of purchased drugs that includes Tramadol, which wasn't patented until 1995, so I think the correct answer is the Devs didn't really give a poo poo wheeeeeee. The receipt for the prosthetic leg implies post 1969 though. edit: Actually getting a second look at a picture of the protagonist in the mirror, what he's wearing looks a lot more modern than the self-portrait so yeah it's probably 70s/80s. The house is probably just really old.

The game really would have benefited from A. Having a less unsympathetic protagonist B. Not almost immediately tipping their hand about the painting and C. Cutting out any time they basically repeated a jump scare.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 26, 2018

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Play with a friend. RE6 works best (y'know, relatively) as a multiplayer experience. More games need Crossing Ways poo poo. And invasions where you control NPCs.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Otherwise a bunch of the killers are in poor shape (Trapper, Wraith, Hag, Pig, Leatherface, Freddy)y.

Hag actually got an enormous buff. I don't know if I'd put her up with Nurse and Billy like some people, but she's definitely around Myers' level now. She's in a good place. Trapper's buff was nice, but he's still not much more than in the lower mid-tiers. Trap setting time was only part of what slowed him down, and he can't really drop traps mid-chase like Hag can now.

dogstile posted:

I don't like BBQ as a perk, it entirely ruins any form of stealth. Freddy is a wanker but purely because I can never hide from him, by the time i hear the music he's on me, i get that he's apparently the weakest hero but hes really unfun to play against. Every Freddy player i've played against just camps the hook so I never bother trying to rescue someone from him, instead i just gen rush.

Looking at it, sprint burst is now pretty poo poo and you'd be better off levelling up either claudette to get the self care perk (at levels 35/40/45 ((i think)) you can buy a special, teachable version of unique character perks to put on other characters). Self care is pretty awesome for when your team are either useless or cowards. Failing that, Laurie's decisive strike is borderline OP and dead hard is basically a free dodge while you look for another pallet to loop around. Aside from that, most survivors will eventually play the same.

Freddy can't camp the hook. Freddy can't stop people from unhooking. Freddy has to wait 7 seconds to do anything, unless he's running specific add-ons which are the only thing that make him halfway decent (green block and purple block). Freddy's unfun to play against but his kit is also just complete trash and the best way to beat him is to just disrespect him. Oh Freddy's coming? loving who cares fix that gen. Oh I'm going to sleep? Yeah gimme five and I'll pretend to worry. I know they're looking at buffing Freddy at some point after Wraith (again), but his whole kit just needs a rework. The sleep mechanic is boring, he should be doing dream stuff like making closets eat survivors not "hold on bitch i need to make you stabbable."

Sprint Burst is still one of the best of the exhaustion perks even with the exhaustion changes. It's just no longer "activates twice in a chase making it take up the entire match" good. But yeah you always want Self-Care first. Iron Will (Jake Park) and Urban Evasion (Nea Karlsson) are both also good perks to grab.

Survivor are still ultimately stronger than Killers and it's gonna take more than a few minor balance changes to change poo poo like the Emblem Squad. 100 matches, killers de-piped 91 times and only pipped twice. Best advice for anyone wanting to play killer in DbD, just play casually. Stick to the sub-10 ranks.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I mostly play Myers, and yeah building Evil Within until it's almost ready to pop is still the way you play him. For sneaking up on healing, Nurse's Calling (see aura of healing survivors in 28 meters) is better than Stridor (survivor breathing is louder). Especially if you pair Nurse's Calling with Monitor & Abuse (Reduce Terror Radius by 8m, so with Mikey that means it's only 8m) so they basically get no warning you're creeping up on them. Unless it's any of the cornfield maps, where Myers giant rear end sticks out wherever he is. Using EW3 to punish altruism after the gates are opened has turned around a few games for me, because god drat some people think the killer should just rollover and call it quits when they have the gates opened.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
forgive me for my sin

Honestly though, casual killer time is fine enough. Game's balance issues start to show when you get 3-4 person Survive With Friends teams, or just a group of survivors that know what to do. If you have Hag, her Hex: Ruin perk (Great skill checks no longer increase generator progress, good skill checks actually reduce it now) is basically the best killer perk around right now. You can check that Emblem Squad spreadsheet to see how god drat fast gens get done without it. I unfortunately don't have it yet, still saving up shards to finally buy her now that she's not a dumpster fire, and man I wish I did.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

dogstile posted:

Freddy can't stop you from being unhooked but he can certainly just go ahead and stab the person who's gotten unhooked immediately after and go right back to camping, which is all they seem to do.

I think its because the kit kinda enforces the rule though. You're right in that he can't really do much against good groups of organised, efficient people but against pubs who don't understand that when you can't hide you just be brazen as gently caress, he gets a free pass. It's why i think he's poo poo sub rank 10 and he's awesome above that.

I don't really think sprint burst is the best because now you move significantly slower around the rest of the map unless you want to be caught with your pants down, because if I remember right it just activates from hitting sprint rather than an activation right?

By all means though, i'm new and only playing this because my gf and my streamer friends like it, so I assume i'm wrong on a few things, but I definitely prefer running dead 'ard over SB since the patch.

The issue with Freddy stabbing the person again is he needs 7 seconds more than any other killer to do it. There's no knocking some one down the moment they get yanked off the hook like anyone else. If you're running self care, you just get a bit away from him and go for a self heal and let it fail. Borrowed Time (temporary immunity if unhooked in the killer's terror radius) is a nightmare for poor Freddy. If he pulled the unhooker into the dream then they can also body block a hit before they gotta get out. If they're face camping just wait until the very last moment to unhook them so at least you're dragging the whole process out for them.

Sprint Burst is the best of the exhaustion perks, not best overall. Or well, it's still pretty good. There's probably a case to be made for Lithe now. It's not a "so good it's basically mandatory" perk anymore but it's still good. But yes it activates whenever you start sprinting, which is actually good since it doubles as a way to quickly get over to another gen. Pair it with Urban Evasion (move at normal speed while crouching) if you're having problems burning it too early. Dead Hard's good but doesn't get you as much distance as Sprint Burst, and depending on how good the killer is it might only work the once.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
If you're talking about the Wraith (dude with the poncho and the cool giant bell), then yeah Mr. Bing Bong's actually pretty weak once you get used to his gimmick. He takes a while to uncloak, he has a sort of loud snarl, and if you're attentive you can actually see a motion blur whenever he's moving around. Plus his cloaking doesn't counter detection perks like Spine Chill (get a notification when the killer looks in your direction) or Premonition (get a notification when you look in the killer's direction). He's due for another overhaul but it's hard to say if that's really going help him. Last one basically amounted to some quality of life changes that cemented him as second worst killer instead of maybe first worst maybe second worst.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, that's when you just need to get a hold on step two: looping. Unless you'e really good at juking or the killer isn't so good at keeping track (or there's a cornfield) you don't usually get away from the killer, but you can instead run them through windows and pallets and poo poo to keep them busy while your team works the gens. Or you can try my patented technique of running at a friend shouting "TAG IN! TAG IN!" Does wonders for me, not so much my friend.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 30, 2018

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

dogstile posted:

I mean the fix there is just to make a solo ranked queue.

I tried playing this again last night and every time I gained some ground on a killer he loving lagged over to me somehow. I'd get stuck on a window and "pop" the fuckers there and grabbing me.

Problem is in high ranks it can already take a while to find games, hence the monthly rank resets. I don't think DBD has the player base to really support a second queue. Unless that changes the only real option is to just accept the survivors are gonna communicate and design around that. Let players communicate in game somehow and alter the perks(basically every aura reading perk) to fit. Like make Knock Out no longer suppress aura and instead actually knock out a survivor on the ground for a good bit or something. As for the lag thing, the game's p2p and the killer is always the host so if they're lagging or lag switching you're gonna get that poo poo. Best you can do is check the ping in the bottom right before hitting ready.

Beef Hardcheese posted:

GMG has Dead By Daylight for 67% off, so I picked it up to play with some friends. The only DBD thread I could find was closed because the OP "I don't like this game or this thread so I'm closing it." Are there any decent guides on filling out the skill trees, how the different killers / survivors play, etc.?

Also, to add to Yardbomb's post two days ago here's a playlist from some one else(Bricky) that's a run down of the killers. The only real change is that Hag is a lot better than when that video got made. For her, here's a nearly 30 minute guide on how to play her that some hag mains put together prior to her buff.

Other than how specific killers work, some general tips for killers: 1) If a survivor has a flashlight look at a wall when you go to pick up a downed survivor or you run the risk of getting blinded and dropping them. 2) Prioritize hitting survivors over picking up downed survivors - a lot of being a Killer is about keeping as many survivors busy not doing generators as possible. Don't just leave people on the ground to go hunting again, but if you down some one and there's another survivor in the area at least give them a good thwack to keep them busy. Maybe even chase them down if you've hooked them a few times 3) Play with headphones and listen, survivors have loud breathing that you can hear if you're close to them. Especially if they're wounded. 4) Survivors can see a short little red vision cone on Killers, and they're gonna use that to judge how close you are before dropping a pallet. You can gently caress with some of them if they're looping you around a tall enough wall by walking backwards then side stepping to meet them on the other side.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 31, 2018

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Coolguye posted:

on the killer's side, if you kill at least one person and have a couple of good scooby doo chases you will stay stable.

Not with the emblem system. One kill nets you 1 of the 6 emblem points you need to get the safety pip. Assuming you hooked everyone once and only killed one, that's bronze devout a bronze maliciousness, or two points. You'd need to really drag out the match for a decent Gatekeeper emblem and also be really good at shutting down chases for a decent Chaser emblem, and honestly if you aren't shutting down chases quick you're probs not getting a good Gatekeeper emblem.

Like it's not a hard "you need 2 kills to get a safety pip" anymore but it basically is, and poo poo you can get three kills and only safety pip. Although now that BNP isn't basically one free gen that's probably not gonna happen very much any more. Rank 1's still mostly about patience more than anything though. Play enough and you'll get enough idiots to get there probably, especially if you're playing Nurse or Hillbilly.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 2, 2018

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
The thread was closed around the big Feb patch, which was a loving disaster. It was also when Cote, one of the directors, told killers to go play Civilization if they had complaints which uh was real loving dumb since holy poo poo the Feb patch was bad. High tier flashlights were near instant blinds, you could be blinded from the side, you could be blinded at any point during a pick up animation and it counted, Doctors could get pallet stunned if they were charging up and the range on their attack overlapped the pallet, nurses got stunned if during their blink they crossed a pallet, the whole thing was a total poo poo show. This was also a bit after they demolished Freddy because Survivors got pissy, and I believe after the first Wraith rebalance which was a joke. They ended up reversing a lot of the changes but yeah, none of it should have happened the way it did in the first place.

It's probably a big part of why they finally got rid of the pallet vacuum, and why they're pushing the PTBs so hard. And why the clown got that nice long preview period that other killers haven't.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Oh no, that wasn't in the thread. That was on a dev stream Q&A.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

dogstile posted:

Tru is loving weird when it comes to the game though.

I've come around on dead hard not being that good, because every time he say's "dead hard is really good" he murders the fucker 5 seconds later. Or he'll complain that all the perks are way to good midway through breezing through another 4k.

What might make me quit playing the game is funnily enough, the killer community. I've had killers throw games because i'm levelling up Laurie and using decisive strike, so they'll just facecamp me the whole game.

My friends love it, they get a free pip and an escape, but killers are so mad that I dare use a perk they don't like, despite every killer i see running loving BBQ and Ruin :argh:

Tru3 has played for a very long time. Things can be very good yet not enough. As for DS, the issue is there's no response. You can bait out a dead hard, you can just switch targets if they sprint burst, but there's only two killers that can consistently respond to a Decisive Strike - Clown can dump gas before picking you up and Hag can trap where they think you'll go before picking you up. Killers pick Ruin because it's the only way to keep gens from getting done super quick if the survivors have any coordination. And you can power through it just fine, or just get lucky and the hex spawns in a bad location. BBQ is tough, but only Nurse, Billy, and Wraith can really capitalize on it. Plus you can counter it by hiding behind a generator (its aura will overlap yours) or you can just spend 4 seconds walking in the wrong direction. It's mostly for the points or catching an incoming hook swarm. If you're in a SWF just have one of your friends tip everyone off if they see the killer wildly looking around after a hook.

Decisive Strike from the killer's perspective is: you win the chase and then the survivor gets to say "actually nah" and waste more of your precious time. If you're lucky you're playing one of those two killers or there's a hook close enough to juggle over to. Otherwise gently caress you do it again.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

dogstile posted:

I'm not at a high level, i'm rank 15. People are deluded if they think DS is getting me any more time than dead hard is getting me.

Granted i'll let them rage out that i'm using the perk, because its kinda funny to be awarding my friends free win based off of killer anger.

It's a base 4 second stun, or 16 meters of distance before they can chase again, unless they're running Enduring. Half a normal terror radius if that makes more sense. That's more than a missed hit and there's nothing you can do about it. It's really that last bit that makes DS so frustrating. You know it's coming and you can't do anything but eat it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Danaru posted:

Fascist/Nazi-lite imagery is a pretty :chloe: brand choice for someone claiming to not be a fascist or a nazi

Yes, which is pretty much the exact reason everything's carnival themed now and he's a carny barker instead of an inquisition man.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So dead space 3 is free on xbox gold. i mean its not great but if anyone wants to play co-op, PM me.

Having finished Dead Space 3, the single player for that is trash but yeah the co-op stuff is worth at least a try. The co-op unique missions at least try to do some interesting horror stuff that's basically absent from the rest of the game.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

That sounds really asinine. Does he have clowns making balloon animals in the background? And if he doesn't, does the gimmick actually have any benefits or is this just something to distinguish him from the other voices screaming into the void?

I actually really like Dead Space 3's weapon crafting, even if the blueprint system is completely useless and several of the weapon types were just "big slow version of x" and "fast, weak version of x" or also useless (looking at you, arc welder).

Nah, it's more he swings around a big dumb cane in front of one of those sunburst(I have no actual idea what you call it) style backgrounds, and the intro video is of a campy horror carnival sort of. Also he wears a big hat instead of a bowler and the background music is more carny than not.

Dead Space 3's weapon crafting would have been more interesting if everything didn't pretty much boil down to "the one that makes the limbs go away the bestest" or "the one that kills the humans better." There's too little variety in the the various combat encounters to really capitalize on meaningful weapon customization, and with no more per-weapon ammo types there's never really a good reason to swap away from your bestest little baddie killer.

It's a shame because the brief section in actual space is really neat, and I'm a huge sucker for malevolent celestial objects, but it's all pretty dull once you make it to the planet.

Coolguye posted:

i've never understood the excuse 'it's just an act!!' if you walk like an rear end in a top hat, talk like an rear end in a top hat, you're an rear end in a top hat.

I mean, he also plays a sniveling coward when he wrestles named Sterdust. edit: The whole persona comes off more as a self-deprecating joke.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 16, 2018

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

...And people... Enjoy him doing these things? Full disclosure, I know Jim Sterling mostly as "the guy that makes you wear a dress and drink paint" in Lisa: The Painful(at least I think that guy is meant to be Jim) so him doing "carnival barker videogame reviews" is kind of a trip.

I think the short intro video's a cute 20 second thing, and the rest of it amounts to what he's wearing. Footage is usually of games and poo poo, or if it's one of his game reviews it's just in game footage. I mean unless you have an inherent aversion to calliopes just watch one of his videos. I actually don't know if that's a calliope. Basically it just comes down to whether or not you find his humor and demeanor offputting or not. Also yes, that is Jim Sterling in Lisa: The Painful.

Coolguye posted:

we definitely have never had a problem with wrestling personas bleeding out of the ring

like i don't want to sound like i'm down on the idea of acting in general but when someone constantly says "i am x" and makes that their entire persona then x WILL define their personality whether they mean it to or not.

Okay, but his wrestling persona is a sniveling coward who's basically a joke heel and is at odds with his game reviewer persona.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 16, 2018

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Bogart posted:

Secret world’s quests and story are great. The combat, monetizing, and the fact that it’s an mmo make it suck rear end.

People keep saying the quests and story are great, but while I liked the ambiance and the aesthetics of the fish zombie town I didn't really see anything too stellar story wise. Does the story pick up elsewhere or what?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Danaru posted:

Friday the 13th did an amazing job with that, where Jason could inaccurately teleport around the map as well as being able to more accurately teleport by turning invisible and shooting forward at a high speed. There was no better feeling than shifting through the door just before someone locks it, only to grab them when they turn around :allears: also it hid Jason appearing out of the ether with a short VHS tracking error effect which was just perfect.

I hate the legal shadowrealm that game got thrown into :smith:

F13 did the correct job of exposing the true best Jason: tall upright Kane Hodder with the bag on his head. The best costume with the best Jason, together at last, far better than that trash franchise deserves.

Also yeah it's a shame the publishers halted development right as the Grendel map was coming out. One of the issues I had with F13 was most the maps kinda blended together for me, a nice big indoor spaceship map would have been real good.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

No more development will be done on the game period because of the lawsuit, which is a real lawsuit.

Yeah but the lawsuit was ongoing during the game's creation and lord knows F13: The Game hasn't been very popular. The press release made it sound like the decision to stop was an internal reckoning and not a court order so, shrug? I think they already hit all their stretch goals so even if it is just the publishers pulling the plug on an unpopular game it's not like an enormous dickbag move or anything.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i was mostly confused about it all since the game has been out a while and it seemed odd for something like this to just now come down the pipeline, but leave it to the legal system to be ever-baffling. the friday the 13th game wasn't perfect but it was a pretty neat way to handle the concept instead of just doing yet another generic asymmetrical horror thing.

This looks like a decent overview? It's a question of who has the rights to profit off of the F13 characters (that matter) so that's gonna encompass everything. And honestly Miller, the original writer, made the production company a shitload of money that he never saw so I hope he wins.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think the issue is that the dude who wrote the original film is suing the studio claiming that because he came up with the character of Jason Voorhees he owed money for the entire franchise. Nevermind that the Jason he wrote was a deformed child that died years before the film takes place and only appears for a few seconds in what might be a dream sequence. Not the lumbering masked killer of later films.

Kind of the other way around actually. He filed to terminate the rights to the original script in accordance with the Copyright Act of 1976 and the production company counter-sued arguing he had no claim over the original F13 script. Whether or not his Jason ends up unable to tuck his shirt in, dude only made 10k on a film that grossed 40 million. Plus he's responsible for Pamela Vorhees which is really the only original thing about Jason. And I guess Ralph. He's responsible for Ralph.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Cunningham's argument is that he signed a pretty clear-cut contract saying that he was an employee being paid a flat rate for his script. Miller is trying to argue "Nuh-uh!" and that the contract doesn't actually say that, which would make him the copyright holder.

It's really just a matter of contract interpretation. If you write something for a company and the contract says that the company holds the copyright, the company holds the copyright. Doesn't matter how much money you or they got for it, the law is the law. Contracts don't get overturned just because 40 years later hindsight says your deal wasn't as good as it could have been.

No it isn't. Cunningham's argument is Miller wrote it on a work-for-hire basis, but Miller's argument is that he wrote it on spec - independent of the production company and prior to any contract with them. That's why the 1979 memo is important.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 21, 2018

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

is cultist simulator good

It's a well written plate spinning game. That's not really an insult, it's very openly about managing a bunch of timers (hunger, stress, detectives, etc.), and early on you can get so obsessed with progress you maybe forget you need to deal with the cops or go make money to eat. There's also a few traps (like Fascination) that you can see coming that will absolutely ruin your game until you figure out how to deal with them.

It's main problem is that it's a cultist simulator, so progression is based on some obtuse occult logic. I haven't finished a full run because I hit a point where I mastered plate spinning but couldn't figure out how to get to any of the deeper mysteries, and by the time that I had I got distracted by other games. Something I wanna return to though. But I'm already a fan of Alexis Kennedy's writing, and if that isn't interesting to you then I dunno how much a game about timers and poo poo will keep your attention.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 16, 2018

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

dogstile posted:

I've gone over it a ton, but one of the devs said that a victory was literally just turning the game off and not engaging with it.

:rolleyes:

When the main point of the game is "let's not treat war like a fun time adventure where everyone wins" and a general indictment of "oorah you the war hero man" type war media, yes turning off the video game and walking away is a valid ending to your experience with the game. Especially since it keeps telling you to do that, or that you can do that if you'd like, or asking you why you haven't done that yet.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That'd be a valid argument if the game was free to play.

I mean it's a valid argument because it's what they were doing, even if the game might have been more effective or more likely to have that impact had it been handled differently.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I would understand people not wanting to spend money to be scolded.

:heysexy:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

It's genuinely a really good companion piece to Silent Hill 1.

It's really not. The monster designs are great, but Shattered Memories lacks the sense of malice that Silent Hill 1 has. edit: It's Silent Hill 1 as filtered through some one who only sort of understood what made Silent Hill 2 good horror.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

is the 'sense of malice' in silent hill 1 how awful it is to play

Yes. Also the angry offputting music. Shattered Memories really has nothing like I'll Kill You.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

I should clarify that its a narratively a great companion piece, because of it how it plays around with the original game's plot and themes.

Like I think it would not be the same game if it didn't have a connection to SH1.

That's really only to its benefit, not Silent Hill 1's benefit. Honestly the connection's a fairly tenuous one, and I think Shattered Memories would have served itself better by striking out on its own so you never have a "Wait why is Dahlia hot now?" moment.

And also so I, personally, me, just me, no one else only me, don't look at it and go "but where's all my atonal hate noise?"

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Len posted:

Ah yes the series that has been:

Survival horror
Visual novel
Lightgun arcade game
loving dungeon crawler

With stories that range from cults to purgatory towns.

ShatMemz is definitely too different with it's story about a person coping with loss to be a Silent Hill

I mean at that point might as well bring up the pachinko game.

But that's also part of the problem with every post SH4 Silent Hill game. The town's too nice. They all looked at SH2 and took it as a story about purgatory where you get better, and not the story it was - about a malevolent supernatural thing that wanted to hurt and destroy whoever it could. Like Downpour, Downpour's Silent Hill feels like it wants everyone to be good people and walk away from their experiences with the town as healed and better people. 2's Silent Hill wanted to demolish everyone whether or not they were bad people.

Also Downpour's endings are just dumb and the wrong way to handle Murphy's backstory.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Angela had the most legitimate grievance out of anyone in the cast and I agree that the town is just reflecting the characters' own neuroses back in their faces (evidenced further by it just giving Eddie more and more people to kill consequence-free because he's finding this whole murderin' business a real hoot) but to call "murdering your entire family and then killing yourself" justifiable is sort of a hard sell, regardless of context.

Yeah but what we see of Angela's version is that it's primarily tormenting her with imagery of her own abuse. That's why the idea that it's punishing her for her sins, or being some sort of extreme therapist, is ridiculous.

Also if Born From a Wish is anything (uggg), then it's not really passively reflecting but actively creating scenarios to gently caress with anyone inside of it. Which makes sense, given how the whole thing came to be. James is only permitted to leave when he's bought into the Maria thing, when he's come to terms with what he did to Mary and can't really be screwed with any more, or when he's going to go kill himself. He's really only permitted to leave when there's nothing left to do to him.

Drunken Baker posted:

If I wasn't in work I'd try and dog it up. A search string of "Silent Hill Prison Best Level" might yield results. I recall it was about an hour long? I'll be honest... I was pissed as a fart when I watched it. But he does stuff like point out that when you enter the visitation booths from the visitors side the camera is free and pans around, but when you enter from the prisoner side it's locked in place at a very tight angle. Stuff like that. Great stuff.

The prison's real good, although I might be the only person that the wax handle puzzle immediately made sense for. Or the picking at the walls in the well. edit: apropos of nothing, Brookhaven suuuuuuuuuuuucks.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Morpheus posted:

The difference is that Satan's motivations are, more or less, understandable. They're knowable. He wants souls, wants to corrupt mortals, that sort of thing. Like yeah he's all-evil and a powerful entity and all that jazz, but his motivations are real.

Silent Hill, the town, is unknown. It's a place of unknown power, or unknown reason, where the rules of the world don't apply, and no one knows why it exists, how it exists, or why it does what it does.

Like, is it punishing people? Or is it simply making their inner destructive feeling real? Is there a reason to it? Or is it just like a bug zapper that draws the damaged and wounded towards it, unthinking and uncaring?

It exists because Alessa was a psychic child who was tortured by a turbo cult who wanted her to give birth to a god so furious it would wipe the world clean of everyone and everything but them. There's some vague gesticulation to maybe some supernatural poo poo going on prior to the cult, but there's really nothing to think the Otherworld was active prior to Incubus's re/birth. They're christo-satanists.

edit: Like only SH2 involves main characters who had done anything wrong (or "wrong" in Angela's case). Harry just picked up the wrong kid at the side of a road once, and Heather had the misfortune of being that kid. Henry just happened to be part of some psycho killer's plot. Town's got no problem loving with anyone it can get its hands on, it just needs them to get there.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 26, 2018

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

You know, coming to think of it, the basic plot concept is really close to that of the movie Rosemary's Baby. If the Red God wasn't intended to be Satan, it's certainly easily possible to read her like that anyway.

I mean the Red God is presumably the same god they tried to have Alessa give birth to, and that turned into a Baphomet looking motherfucker called Incubus so y'know.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

The God bosses in silent hill are always, constituted as a projection of their worshippers' beliefs about them. Different versions, names and appearances for these God beings vary based on whose beliefs and thoughts they originate from. The SH1 boss is either an angelic figure (if the ceremony proceeds according to the cult's plan) or a demon (if it fails).

That's not correct. The angelic figure is Incubator, which is Alessa reformed after Cheryl is brought to her. Incubus is ejected from Incubator when she gets hit with the Aglaophotis, and after the Incubus boss fight Alessa/Incubator helps Harry escape and hands over Heather.

Incubus is the only god in that fight, although Alessa/Incubator is god-like.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm a rather casual gamer, and in my experience, the major point of argument I've had with friends about horror games is the idea that few gameplay options and limited, frustrating controls actually makes for a better horror game.

I didn't like Resident Evil until RE4 came out; make of that what you will.

I think the idea is to induce panic, emulating something like fumbling for your keys to open a door, but the problem is that it rarely is panic inducing. It's just creating an arbitrary blocker even when you know what to do instead of letting you make mistakes naturally. Silent Hill's controls aren't great for combat, but the actual combat is just "look at thing and hit the button and win now", so instead of being panic inducing it's just this other god drat thing you need to fiddle with while winning. I feel like SH3's level design was better at inducing panic than its controls. You're frequently moving forward, so you can reasonably run from something and expect it to not show back up again, but so many of those levels are cramped so you will have to get close to or otherwise deal with the monsters in some way.

Also it removed (most of) those town sections, which were just garbage empty nothings the moment you realized you always run faster than the monsters.

Honestly though, I don't really think Silent Hill or Resident Evil made the decision to have tank controls because they were bad or frustrating. I think they were just the go to solution for handling locked bizarre camera angles at the time. I think people read too much into the controls not being conducive to combat. edit: People do that poo poo with the bad voice acting too. GYROMANCY

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

It's really because, in a lot of ways, they are one of the best ways to deal with full-360-degrees freedom in a pre-rendered scene like early RE titles used. Tank controls existed before analog controls did, so the idea of rotating your character in the direction you want to move instead of only being able to move at 90 degree angles was actually pretty ingenious.

I think comparing how Silent Hill 1 handled that opening alleyway scene to how something like Sonic Adventure handles movement and camera, just period whatsoever, is illuminating. Also yeah, I think people arguing the tank controls are an intentionally bad stylistic choice forget that the first dual analog controllers for the PSX came out less than a year before RE2.