Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kokoro Wish posted:

Thread favourite John Wolfe just finished his play-through and his opinion was overall positive. Not as good as Whistle Blower, but on part with Outlast 1 for the most part. He actually found it tame compared to the other two games and thought the could have made it more condensed and kept the action going longer with less pauses for school or rafting.

the entire time i was watching his playthrough all i could think was 'wow, it sucks for outlast 2 that it was delayed for so long since resident evil 7 kind of does some of these themes but way better'. the ending just...really kind of sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

cryostasis is pretty firmly in the 'watch a playthrough' territory since the gameplay is pretty dull when you're not engaging with the flashbacks and whatever. the story is neat in a background sort of way.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

alien isolation does a lot of things well, but it's a rare thing when i'm actively sitting there and wondering why a game didn't end like 1 or 2 hours ago

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i found out that i really dislike games where you spend 75% of the time blindly running down a linear path in almost total darkness or blinding nightvision

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

alan wake as a whole is pretty much a giant love letter to stephen king. the gameplay on the pc version is actually tighter overall, honestly, since you have the benefit of kb+m. i enjoyed it in the first place so it only got better. the main game even has an in-game live action version of their take on the twilight zone on various televisions which is funny as hell.

american nightmare is kind of weird and not exactly like the first game in that the story is a lot more disjointed and mostly serves to further you along as you do the pseudo-score attack gameplay. the actual combat is a lot more refined than the first game even if it doesn't have as good an atmosphere, so it's worth picking up if nothing else. it's also a hell of a lot better optimized on pc. makes me sad there was never an official sequel.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

probably the first time i've ever seen the word redneck used for the game alan wake

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the black husserl posted:

The game manages to perfectly hit that Stephen King zone between utterly stupid and absurd and actually kinda spooky, its p dope

yeah, it's goofy as hell in a lot of ways but it goes along with it and plays it off pretty well. not a lot of games can do that in a good way and still manage to have good atmosphere

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hell, the void, also made by icepick lodge, is really kind of unnerving like pathologic. it's a good bit more abstract and while it's not outright scary by any means it's tense as hell and some of the designs are pretty grotesque in a 'what the gently caress' kind of way and not really a gory way.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Drunken Baker posted:

Any good LPs of THE VOID? It just would NOT run on my PC at all at best and at worst it would just hard lock the entire drat thing, but I wanted so desperately to play it.

i had a pretty good time with watching this old one on the lp archive. the videos were uploaded to the internet archive, which is good, because the blip/viddler video links are dead

https://archive.org/details/LP_The_Void

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mysterious frankie posted:

Did he ever finish that play through? I was invested enough that I wanted to see the ending, but not enough to buy it because, yeah, without Wolfe's narration it looks like a pretty mediocre experience.

i don't think he ever put up anything past the first couple videos for whatever mysterious reason

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

perception looks like what happens if all you have is a concept and you try to build a game around it without any care for what makes a setting interesting

that and you go ahead and make the blind protagonist psychic as well because why not

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would highly recommend anything done by supergreatfriend. he's a really relaxed guy and on some of his earlier lets plays he goes above and beyond in terms of editing and the like.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

s.i.r.e. posted:

Seems like all these videos are gone.

Actually it seems like the AiTD3 vids are gone too since they're also hosted on Viddler, I guess the site removed all their videos or something. There's Veoh links for 3 but the site looks sketch so I'll pass. Guess I'm lookin' on YouTube.

if you check near the top of the page, below the title stuff, you'll see another red bar that says something along the lines of 'this playthrough was hosted on the internet archive' and you can click on that to reach alternate videos that were uploaded on archive.org

a good thing to keep in mind with some of the older lps on the lparchive since a couple video players have come and gone since its existed

for instance, here's a link to the first aitd lp: https://archive.org/details/LP_Alone_in_the_Dark

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Too Shy Guy posted:

DreadOut was a massive disappointment for me but I've heard the sequel is much better. Apparently it cuts out all the wandering and just gives you a mess of areas to fight special ghosts in.

the sequel actually emphasizes the whole 'fight monsters and solve puzzles' aspect of the game in the form of a bunch of semi-isolated areas with all their own cool mythological ghosts and critters

it works pretty well

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

john wolfe on youtube did a playthrough of layers of fear and pretty much referred to it as a 'house of horrors' amusement park thing where mostly all you do is walk around and watch as things happen around you. not necessarily a bad thing offhand, but for some it's going to wear thin. especially since that's what the game does 100% of the time. it has good atmosphere but i'd be hard-pressed to ever want to play it myself or watch it again after seeing it once.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

does scorn even have anything going for it other than that trailer that came out years ago

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if nothing else there's a decent screenshot lp of it on the archive

https://lparchive.org/Scratches-Directors-Cut/

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Knorth posted:

That sounds about right. I guess you didn't get to see the skyscraper sized ghost lady or the chat with your friend scene then? It's full of really neat Indonesian horror stuff, it's such a shame that the game itself is pretty busted :(

the 'chat with the friend' scene in dreadout was remarkably unsettling and well done compared to the rest of the game, which was surprising. the overall setting is also pretty cool, which is also why i recommend the sequel of sorts since it focuses more on the neat indonesian folklore and has 'zones' the player accesses from a hub and they'll have a variety of weird little puzzles and fights here and there.

also john wolfe played it if anyone just wants to watch that. and the first dreadout. they're worth checking out in video form at the very least for the relatively unique setting.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it doesn't help that they're releasing the game in multiple 30 minute chunks, basically, each one costing money beyond the first which is free.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the only real mystery in hello neighbor is how the game managed to disappear up its own rear end

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

john wolfe got an early copy of observer and even has an hour and a half of footage up already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFcwwJNQhMU

seems pretty cool so far

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't particularly mind the skits all that much but i'm finding myself skipping them half the time anyways. hopefully he doesn't keep doing it forever. being a fulltime youtuber seems like some kind of personal hell, though, so who knows.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like some of the weaker moments of observer are where it's like layers of fear, to be honest. the segments of running through a bunch of glitchy stuff can be cool but if they're not relatively concise then i keep finding myself wishing the game would go back to the cool detective stuff in a setting i actually kind of like.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

outlast 2 occasionally throws a wadded up ball of paper at you and expects you be frightened by it but eventually it gets to a point where they just rapidly and constantly whip the things at you with not a single break and it's goddamn tiring

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the setting in observer was pretty cool and at times i wished the game would let me explore that more instead of pushing the player into more and more glorified cutscenes where the player just kind of walks along as weird glitchy poo poo happens

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's pretty much made by the main guy behind resident evil 4, so a lot of things from that game carry over

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SomeJazzyRat posted:

The developers didn't really have 'Hey, Really' Giger doing art for them, they only licensed his artwork for it, right?

i'm pretty sure giger was involved directly for darkseed 1 but not the sequel

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

david cage's writing is genuinely really awful and i don't know why he is still allowed to be involved with making things

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it was a pretty cool showcase of what can be done with vr but beyond the spooky stuff it's not exactly the best at being an actual 'game'. i suppose that may differ depending on what exactly someone wants to get out of it, though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

re7 is really effective at what it does. it was what the series needed, more or less

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

homecoming was at least vaguely interesting compared to downpour, which was thoroughly bland and had nothing really going for it other than the 'water' theme which wasn't even used well

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

did some of y'all really get so mad that there wasn't a 2 second jumpscare at the end of a game that wasn't even marketed as a horror game, lmao

Jukebox Hero posted:

The story's homosexual component

you sound like you're straight and i'm not sure what you're trying to get at here, especially when lgbt people barely have anything to lay claim to when it comes to videogames that don't arbitrarily kill off the gay or bisexual people

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the story is entirely meant to be about a couple of teenagers who make a spur of the moment decision because they feel they don't have any other chance at what they have, you goddamn goons

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

chitoryu12 posted:

It's written like a pretty normal relationship.

yeah, i'm...really not sure what people are expecting. it's a couple of dumb kids figuring things out and then making a spur of the moment decision. there's also no stereotypes other than vaguely that one of them is signed up to get shipped out for the military, which is what sets the final event in motion. i've literally never heard before of anyone saying it's stereotypical and i don't know know where that would even come from since they're a couple of nerds who like fighting games and punk music.

Iron Crowned posted:

Gone Home just made me wish there was a game were you play as Beetlejuice

would it be like that one game where you play as a ghost and try to spook people out of your house? i don't remember the name of that but it seems fitting enough.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeahhhhh, i remember it now. i was always kind of sad that game never went anywhere after that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

FirstAidKite posted:

It starts off as Gothic, yeah, and then by the end of the game you're dealing with madness and Old Ones and brain eyes that let you "understand" the world just a little better.

Oh man, Eldritch. That game is so good and way scarier than it has any right to be given what it looks like. You wouldn't think something that looks like this

would end up being scary but then it just ramps up with the types of enemies and the sound design is just really good and I always ended up feeling on edge while wandering around, fearing running into the shoggoth or into one of those mummies you mentioned.

eldritch is definitely a cool experience for really cheap whenever it goes on sale for like a dollar or whatever

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

exploded mummy posted:

All Yahzee wants to do is go to spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Professor of Cats posted:

Oh poo poo, wacky squid man is gonna get you. The game involves you blasting cultists while you put together a big fuckoff rail gun from Akira, then you go on a boat and blast him while hitting QTE's to avoid getting smashed. But watch out for the MAAAADNESS meter that slowly builds if you get to close! Only drinking an overly abundant red potion will drop the meter.

some pieces of this actually describe the 'coc: dark corners of the earth' game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm pretty sure the one in re7 is explicitly a reformed version that chris redfield works for, that aims to clean up all the dumb bullshit the company did before. it's umbrella but mostly in name only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

siren was mentioned earlier and i honestly can't recommend that game series enough. even surpasses silent hill for me, personally. egomaniac has a good series of lps for it (https://lparchive.org/title/siren)

the first listing of the original game in all caps is the redone version he made of silent 1 with better video quality. if the video links in siren 2 and siren: blood curse are for dead video hosts then just check out the red strip near the top of the page for them that says the videos are hosted on the internet archive and click that to reach a working playlist