Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Kojima, Del Toro and Junji Ito walk into a bar and all your most hideous nightmares come true.

And it's open mic night, Akira Yamaoka is on stage with nothing but a cello bow and a gong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

For anyone still following along with SOMA it looks like they've updated the 'files' section of the website. Dunno if there's any new videos in there, but worth a gander all the same.

http://somagame.com/files.html

They did post this, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aN52psDOXU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

For those that were talking about PT a little while ago, this showed up on my twitter feed today: http://boingboing.net/2015/05/27/this-upcoming-horror-game-look.html

I thought this was the same article I was looking at earlier, but it's not. I swear there are at least three games in development that are all claiming to be the "PT replacement" with suburban hallway settings and a creepy woman with prominent teeth. I'm not sure how to feel about horror game bandwagoning in an attempt to ride PT's coattails.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Niggurath posted:

That's the danger of PT; it took what would appear to be on the surface a very simple idea and people think that's the extent of what made it an experience. In reality there's just numerous layers of cryptic puzzles, photo-realistic environments to distort someone's perception on if it's a game, and a combination of subtle and overt horror. It was a very careful planned work and I feel like some game makers will just see it as 'make hallway, repeat hallway, put spooky woman in hallway with jump scares'.

I agree, and that's why I'm kind of disappointed. I don't want bland off-white suburban hallways to become the new meatwalls of a generation of horror games. I know it happens in every genre, but it's amazing how frequent it is that an iconic horror game gets made, then four out of every five horror games that follow copy it, but always seem to miss what made the ur-example so drat successful.

Edit: ^^^ Goon above me hit the nail on the head regarding what I was trying to say.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

On the subject of every horror game aping the look of the most recent big release, here's one that missed that particular memo: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/back_in_1995/b/pc/archive/2015/04/17/polygon-like-it-s-1995-in-new-ps1-style-survival-horror-game.aspx

I'm legitimately more interested in this game than it warrants.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

some weapons could break and there were only two guns in the entire game.

That was 90% of why the game was a load of bullshit for me.

I admit though, the apartment stuff was cool, although it at times felt very random, or tied to some parameter that I couldn't figure out as a player.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Silent Hill 3 was my favorite. There, I said it. Couldn't tell you why for the life of me, but it's the one I go back to more often than any others.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah, if nothing else Silent Hill 4 at least tried to do something new. It didn't exactly work, but I can respect it for doing something different. Because as soon as the series went over to western developers, everyone just tried to emulate Silent Hill 2 and 3 again with no originality beyond that.

Downpour tried to do something differently again beyond the absolutely superficial method Shattered Memories tried but that really wasn't given the time or budget to develop it into what the game should have been and again like Silent Hill 4, it really wasn't scary.

Since we're on the subject of the older Silent Hill games, I have to ask: I've pretty compulsively purchased every Silent Hill game I come across, because I'm a fanboy in some ways, but I've never actually sat down and played more than an hour and a half of Shattered Memories, and I haven't played Origins, Homecoming, or Downpour at all. So given the fact that I loved the original 3, and liked 4 but never got that into it, is it worth the time to sit down and play SM/Origins/Homecoming/Downpour? I get that none of them are likely to be "scary" per se, at least not like the first 4 games, but generally speaking are they playable? I'm curious, but I also recognize there's lots of other horror games I haven't played (The Suffering, for example) that might be more worth my time.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Not gonna lie, this kind of makes me want to play the Super Famicom game even more.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I definitely have an affection for horror games on older systems, since I think they show a lot of charm and thought, even if they kind of fall flat on their faces in some ways. I hadn't played the SNES Clock Tower, but I'm going to see if I can track it down to try it out. But besides that, and Sweet Home on NES, I don't remember many real attempts at horror or dark supernatural games on any early systems. Are there any other games on NES, SNES, or Genesis that tried to do horror that might be worth checking out?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Zombie Samurai posted:

Uninvited is a literal haunted house game.

Ooooh poo poo I remember playing this game on some DOS-based machine when I was probably too young to be playing it. Thanks for bringing this up, I forgot it existed. Time to go have horrifying childhood flashbacks.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I wouldn't say this looks particularly scary. Like Amnesia, you just feel this overwhelming sense of dread in like EVERY part of the castle. It was so scary that it made it difficult to keep playing it, just out of fear. This though it doesn't look all that scary, for whatever reason. It's just 12 minutes of course, and maybe it'll be different when you're actually controlling it yourself, but it didn't seem like it had the scary atmosphere that Amnesia did. The monster robot thing wasn't really all that scary, although the noises it made were kind of unsettling. It almost felt like the beginning parts of Portal 2, just not nearly as lighthearted.

I was talking to one of the sound designers on the game, and one of the first things he said was that he was kind of disappointed with the game capture, at least the quality. He made it sound like it wasn't a great representation of what the game will be like, but that they also wanted to do a section that wouldn't give anything away that hadn't already been hinted at in the teaser videos. Apparently there are big underwater sections that are pretty surreal, too.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeah that's the status quo. One game does something semi successfully and everyone copies the hell out of it.

Out of curiosity, are any of the status quo following games that have been released since any good? I played Amnesia and loved it, but I've never really gotten around to playing Outlast or any of the other major releases that used the same "you can't fight them" idea.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

1stGear posted:

His Chzo Mythos adventure games were of wildly varying quality but Trilby's Notes is quite excellent.

I like whichever one was kind of a ripoff of Alien.

That sounds like a criticism, but it's really not.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

That one was actually my least favorite, due to a few puzzles that were super-dumb.

Consuming Shadow is a pretty good game, don't be put off by the newgrounds-esque artwork.

Hmm, I may have to replay it out of curiosity, I don't remember any super-dumb puzzles, but I also knocked out all four of the games in a weekend a few years ago, so I'm a bit foggy on them.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody know anything about Stasis? I've been lurking the thread for a bit but haven't seen any discussion on it. Looks like it's coming out at the end of the month, and is a point and click adventure style game, which is weird because the visual style kind of seems like its cribbing from the newer Shadowrun games. In any case, I'm interested enough to keep an eye on it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It felt like they really had a lot of pressure to make the game be much longer. Like, people will complain if a AAA game is "too short", so they gotta pad that out with daisy chained generators.

Still, the bar is set so low for first person horror that I really loved it as an overall experience. I played it in 30 min-1 hour chunks over a long period of time too, so that helped.

I usually play most horror games in short chunks like that, largely because my attention span is kind of short to begin with. Horror, though, tests that even further. If something can't keep me engaged without leaning over and over on jump scares, I have trouble playing it for that long. Honestly the only horror game I can remember playing in big stretches was Silent Hill 2, and that one I played all in one sitting.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Speedball posted:

A Thing game would probably work best as a replayable Adventure game where who is a Thing is randomized on each playthrough. Stuff around your base keeps breaking down, you need to send people out and separate just to fix it all...but if you're sending someone out with a Thing, they get Thing-ized too.

If you keep track of it all, you might be able to determine who is and is not a Thing just by keeping track of who you think was where and when, but...

The Thing game that came out for the PS2 was legitimately not bad in this respect. It was a rough game in a lot of ways, and it relied a lot on grinding you down with little mobs til you were out of ammo, but there was a combination of pre-scripted characters turning into Things, and random events where if someone was infected for long enough they'd sort of change at a moment's notice.

You also had a serum you could inject people with to determine if they were infected, that was hilarious good fun.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

ding ding ding, a macguffin is the thing everyone wants.
you know more about writing than david cage.

This implies David Cage knows anything at all about writing, rather than just making up arbitrary self-imposed rules for writing because ~*video games*~

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ekster posted:

David Cage doesn't know anything about kids either. Or women. Or human beings.

David Cage is the true inhuman, unspeakable horror. Why are we even talking about other games?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Songbearer posted:

I picked up Stasis the other night. I'm generally not a horror game player (I usually just watch playthroughs on youtube) but the isometric perspective and low-res graphics reminded me of Sanitarium, which I loved.

So far it's been a neat experience. The voiceacting is fine for the protagonist and different shades of rubbish for everyone else, but the game is awesomely gross with some wonderful body horror and some very nice environmental descriptions. I'm not a fan of gross out horror usually (Psychological is a lot more interesting to me), and there are some jump scares which don't affect me too much, but the gameworld is presented very nicely and the puzzles don't seem too eldritch currently.

The game feels a lot like Dead Space if you were just allowed to explore the station instead of fighting through it. Fantastic sound design and they really found some great ways to freak you out despite the detatched camera angle.

I wish I could say the same. The audio all felt totally overwrought and HEY LOOK HOW SPOOKY THIS IS, I didn't care for the voice acting in any instance, and I can't stand it when games don't allow you to skip or fast-forward through dialog in some fashion. I ended up force-quitting the game because I got so annoyed by the poorly written song that the protagonist's wife or whatever sings to their daughter. I'm probably being a little overcritical but everything about the game felt so clumsy to me. Obviously YMMV and all that, I think I went in expecting something very different from what I got and it never grabbed me as a result.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

Playing stasis right now and yeah, I burst out laughing when they stared singing that loving lullaby. If that doesn't turn up as a creepy little girl la la la, or a music box theme somewhere I will be incredibly surprised.

Presentation of the game is great, I like the design of the setting, main character is voiced ok. Is everyone else like, a text to speech or pitch corrected or something? I haven't heard a character other than the main one yet that doesn't sound like a robot.

Yeah I'm not sure, I was wondering that with the little girl's VO, it sounded really heavily processed in a bad way. I was particularly disappointed with how the VO was handled, I think they could have made a lot of smarter and more effective choices with the robot voices. Most of them sound like an actor playing a human pretending to be a robot.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is Layers of Fear worth playing in its current state, or should I hold off until it's actually finished? I remember people saying earlier in the thread that it just kind of ends abruptly at one point with a "hey thanks for playing", but I could deal with that if the rest of the experience is worth it in its current state.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

There's a bunch of horror games on sale on Steam at the moment: http://store.steampowered.com/sale/lunarhorror/

I vaguely remember someone in here talking about Albino Lullaby, anybody have an opinion on it? Or Party Hard? I've heard the latter is really rough around the edges, but I think the main complaint I heard was that the voice acting is terrible.

Also if you're looking for something different, Masochisia is really unique. It was made by a friend of mine so I'm biased, but I think it's excellent nonetheless.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

Also, I am sorry to go against you and your friend, but I found Masochisia to be both stylistically ugly as well as eye-rollingly barrel scraping in terms of theme, especially at the start.

Like I said, I'm probably unrealistically biased in its favor. I can see where you're coming from on both points.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

How is Sylvio? I feel like I must have missed all of the discussion on the game when it came out.

Also, I would like to recruit the horror game thread brain-trust here: I'm starting down the (very very) long road of developing a game, and while I don't think it'll be a strictly-speaking horror game, it's definitely going to pull a lot of inspiration and tropes from horror. So what are everybody's favorite games that lean more heavily on the creepy/unsettling side of the horror spectrum than the out-and-out scary? I've been thinking through recent games I've played and I honestly haven't come up with good examples, beyond some of the quieter moments in the Silent Hill games and that sort of thing.

Edit: maybe a better way to put it, for my purposes, is I'm looking for games with very creepy atmospheres/environments, but less reliance on monsters & scary situations, if that helps.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

It's a shame the Kickstarter for the sequel fell through because it was a big improvement, but the dev said he'll go back and work on improving on the first game some more
Scratches, Cryostasis, Rule of Rose, Fran Bow, Gone Home (More for the feeling of being alone in a big house in the dead of night, its not a horror game at all but it managed to capture that feeling for people), and Year Walk.

Ahh I totally forgot about Year Walk, I'll have to go re-download that immediately. I played through Fran Bow recently, took some notes. Not sure I could be convinced to go through Gone Home again. The rest I'll check out, I actually just had someone recommend Cryostasis to me an hour ago, interestingly.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Crabtree posted:

I don't know if I'm anywhere near an expert but what exactly are you implying by no "monsters & scary situations"? I remember a friend telling me how they got uncomfortable at Moonside and the Happy Happy Cult in Earthbound when he was young, but I'm not sure how you can create horror without some sort of agitator or situation that is threatening to some extent. Are you talking about the beginning of Patholgic where the horror comes from a very real but not fantastical terror of a great plague? The aforementioned Rule of Rose where the more scary thing was trying to mingle in an oppressive society of rear end in a top hat children? Sanitarium where the monsters were part of a dream that held your memory? Theresia where most of the dangers are old adventure game styled traps you have to find through trial ans error as you try to discover memories that probably are better to never know?

I don't want to make you share information you'd rather keep close to your chest for now but what exactly are you looking for?

Accordion Man kind of put it better than I did. Basically the concept I'm researching right now is a game with a heavy reliance on atmosphere and environments as the source of what makes the game unsettling, rather than tense action or horrific creatures. I'd even like to stray away from the sense of being pursued since I think it almost without fail leads to more jump-scare situations than anything. FWIW a lot of the stuff I'm reading up on for inspiration are on failed expeditions with mysterious outcomes, like the Franklin northwest passage expedition or the Dyatlov Pass incident. Whoever said Fran Bow earlier pointed to a good example of a game that's unsettling and "scary" without really ever forcing you to take action in response to a threat.

I wish I could give a better answer than that, but at the same time I kind of don't. I'm so early in this process that I'm kind of trying to be receptive to any inspirations that I might stumble on, so I really don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I'd say the environment/setting is extremely important, though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

woodenchicken posted:

Oxenfree is a recent one like that. Gorgeous/eerie location (resort town built over a WW2-era military facility), an old mystery associated with it that you uncover slowly, tons of little creepy details you can find if you search every corner. The part where you chitchat with friends constantly and that influences the story's outcome is done a little sloppily I think, but the game's atmosphere is just killer.

Good call. I know the composer so this one has been on my radar for a while, but I've yet to play it. Sounds like as good a reason as any to pick it up!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Oh it's not that bad. It's below-average in many ways, especially with the inclusion of combat, but I played through it with some friends without tearing out my eyes.

I sold it off the day I played it. I agree it's not the worst game in the world, but I really didn't feel like it had much going in its favor either. Also I didn't feel like it's setting or presentation thereof was in any way innovative or interesting. Not a fan of that one, I'm afraid.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

The gameplay was incredibly easy (except for some demon stuff because you had to rapidly switch hiding spots to actually hide from them, especially late in the game), but the characters and environment were engaging enough that I really didn't give a poo poo.

I must just be the odd one out here then because I didn't find the characters to be remotely engaging. The more I think about it the more I guess the worst thing I can say about the environment is that it's mostly forgettable for me.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Len posted:

Has anyone played the Darkness WIthin games? They're part of a humble bundle right now.

I played the first one, though not much of it. It wasn't an immediately engaging game and I moved on to something more interesting, but that said at least the bit I played seemed fine, which sadly is more than can be said for a lot of suspense/horror games. My understanding is that they're heavily inspired by Lovecraftian horror if that's your bag. Could be wrong on that though.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I'm not sure if it would count towards what you're looking for, but maybe look at Silent Hill 4 and Fatal Frame 3, specifically the hub areas.

Again I'm not sure if it would count, but I've started playing Anodyne recently and it feels wrong in a way I can't pinpoint.

Oooh actually Anodyne might be along the lines of what I'm looking for, in a way. Very weird and unsettling in a way you can't always put your finger on.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Irony.or.Death posted:

It makes sense, we've just had such a glut of it and not really much else in major recent releases. I know lots of people dig on hide-and-seek games, but personally I don't find it remotely engaging when the only major mechanical system in the game is about avoiding interaction.

I'm this way too-- honestly I think there's something lost when you bridge the gap between "you can fight the baddies but you're kind of crap at it" that you get in the early part of most Silent Hill games and the like (or Siren), over into the territory of "you physically and mechanically can't beat the thing chasing you". Admittedly I've never played Alien: Isolation which seems to be either everybody's favorite or least favorite example of the hide-and-seek games, but all the rest I've played seem more bent on causing you grief than engaging you in the gameplay.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

al-azad posted:

The problem is once you give the player a gun you've already established that conflict is how you deal with encounters. When the player runs out of bullets they're going to either assume they failed and reload or scrounge for more ammo which could cause frustration if the enemy is hounding them during this process.

I'd rather have fewer encounters than fewer resources.

True, though that's where I think there's a certain amount of leeway given some games-- or there used to be. Like in Silent Hill 2, the complete lack of UI in the gameplay mode kind of helped to sell some of the "realism" of the experience, so when I was playing and James completely sucked at shooting, I could believe it since he was just a normal dude in a freaky world. Or I'd blame it on the fact that my light was off, even if that wasn't actually true in terms of mechanics. I was willing to accept that if I lost all my ammo I'd just have to book it past whatever creepy hellish thing I came up against. Plus Silent Hill 2 did one smart thing and established early on that there were bosses that you'd have to fight (I think, maybe I'm thinking of the first game) and that there was Pyramid Head, who you probably couldn't reasonably hurt. Both of those established that conflict was at times required and at times completely useless, and it was kind of up to you to figure out when either case were true.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

RichterIX posted:

If it was built on Arkham Horror there would be a huge chance that even seeing a monster would send you to the insane asylum, which I'm for.

I really wish they'd do this, but it's wildly unlikely.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Blattdorf posted:

Stranger Things is really drat good, but it's not like this thread needs any more convincing.

Now it just needs a better-than-you'd-expect NES tie-in horror game.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody have some strong recommendations for good Twine/IF/Text adventure horror games? I'm looking for really good horror games that are heavily narrative- or text-driven. I've played My Father's Long Long Legs and The Uncle Who Works for Nintendo, both were really good, and I have Layers of Fear, which I'm to understand at least tells a lot of its story through in-game documents. Anything else I really need to try?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I remember at some point there was talk that one of the HD remasters of a classic horror game was really bad for some reason, but I can't remember either the game or the reason. Was there some major issue with the Silent Hill HD remaster collection? My wife wants to play through them, and getting that would at least make it less of a pain, given that I don't think I have a functional PS2 anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

VoidBurger posted:

I only recommend the HD Collection to people who:
1) Do not have access to the original consoles + their games
2) Don't wanna spend money to buy those consoles/versions of the games
3) Aren't technically competent enough to get emulated versions running
4) Aren't technically competent enough to get the PC ports of SH2 and SH3 running (they're a little bit of a mess, too)

Only get 'the HD Collection as a last resort, or cause you're cheap and want 2 games for $30~. I didn't run into any super obvious bugs on the PS3 version, personally. And I prefer people to play SH games as opposed to not playing them at all just because other people said "DO NOT GET THE HD VERSION UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES." The HDC is not ideal, it's got problems, but the problems probably aren't as obvious to a first-time player as they are to super nerds like me.

Well I'd be playing them with her for the most part so I'd go crazy if there's that big of graphical changes. Thankfully I'm at least not one of those four people, so I'll figure out a solution.