Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

How do you feel about Alan Wake? I finished it a few weeks ago and while it requires a ton of immersion (play at night in a dark room), I felt that it was a rather good game. Mainly because it kept doing the thing where something is there and then it is gone. I'm thinking about the first abandoned hut, right after you meet barry. The shadowman walking past the window made me skip the next hut. The creepy dark one with the broken windows.

It's a pretty light horror game compared to stuff like Fatal Frame and Silent Hills, but I think it accomplished what it tried to do and never overstayed its welcome. You should totally buy it 75-85% off on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

cat doter posted:

Alan Wake's biggest weakness is its reliance on the same set of 4 enemies or whatever it was. When you're 'fighting' a flock of shadow crows or whatever they were called for the 5th time you pretty much just wanna shut the game off and never touch it again.

It really overstays its welcome in parts.

I honestly didn't mind the endless horde of loggers, flying crap and running men, it made the occational chainsaw man or enormous mechanical boss fight feel interesting. I did, however, mind the long mountain walk where you fight the loving crows 5 times in a row and then fail a lovely jump down some planks and have to restart right before the 5 crows. The entire dodge/jump system didn't work very well on PC and it siphons your desire to keep on playing when you fail a jump right before a checkpoint 10 times in a row.

I guess the farmyard old gods rock concert kind of killed the spooky atmosphere too, but it's one of my favorite parts of the game because of how absurd it was. :black101:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Ddraig posted:

One of the things I really digged about Alan Wake was how they tied the story pages to the gameplay. I remember in one of the early levels finding a page fairly early on where it pretty much described Alan being tired, weary and about ready to give up and "Then he heared the chainsaw"

Made me pretty tense wondering when the hell it was coming. Probably getting flashbacks from RE4 to be honest.

Yeah, it's a shame that until the final part of the game, you don't really get a lot of the far future pages. The Thor's hammer reverse-reverse reveal and the off-screen story of the Lady of the Light comes to mind as later reveals. I get that they tried to stay one step ahead of Alan at most times but "AND THEN ALAN SAW THE RANGER, BEATEN AND BLOODY" right before you enter the hut with the ranger, beaten and bloody, was kind of weak.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

On that note I remember The Thing PC game being really cool, but it's been forever since I played it.

Yeah, the Thing game was an awful buggy mess with extremely scripted transformations.

Don't reinstall it, just read this: http://www.somethingawful.com/game-reviews/the-thing/1/

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Stubbs is fun and entertaining, I recommend it. It's also the only game there is where you play the zombie invasion, not fight it. Worth trying for that alone.

If you like the idea of being on the "other" side of the zombie invasion I can recommend Zombie Dawn.

It's a topdown strategy game, where you control zombies and make them eat/convert all the people in each level. Later you get superpowers so you can make explosive zombies or screaming zombies that stops running people. It's a pretty good, if short game. It's not very scary though.

You can play it for free without a Runescape/Jagex account, pick "just play" twice if you don't care about saving your progress.
http://mggameserver4.funorb.com/g=zombiedawn/game.ws?js=1

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah, that's why I think it could really use a sequel. It kind of reminds me of the Hitman series in a way, where the best missions are just the ones that give you a ton of different tools to accomplish a fairly straightforward objective, but the developers keep throwing in gimmicky "plot" missions where there's basically only one solution. Hitman eventually got it right after a couple of sequels with Blood Money (then somehow screwed it up again in Absolution but whatever), so it would be great to see Ghost Master do the same thing.

Absoultion had tons of ways to do poo poo and kill people. I can only recall the butcher boss as a boss fight where you're forced to do it one way. The worst part was the entire plot and the final boss. You kill every single other boss by hand/gun in game. The final boss is you kicking down a door and then it plays an anticlimatic cutscene where you kill the guy after getting the plot.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Wikipedia posted:

. His grandfather, Enisi, contacts him from the spirit realm and tells him that such power is only an illusion, as the price is greater than what he has gained, and that he needs to look in his heart and make the right decision. Tommy heeds his grandfather's words and drives the Sphere straight into the Sun,

Prey was loving stupid, but it was fun to play. A shame that you can't buy it on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I always had a fear of older games when you fell through, that one day some assholes would put a giant gently caress off monster in the abyss. I don't know why, it's an existential kind of fear I guess.

The Brain of Mensis in Bloodborne is kind of what you're describing. I can't think of any other game where you're supposed to go beneath a level and find a thing/monster down in the void.