Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Just went on a PS2 collecting binge and bought Siren, Fatal Frame II, Echo Night Beyond, Clock Tower 3, Extermination and Silent Hill 3. Never played a horror game before I bought these and I spent an hour on Fatal Frame II and Siren each wondering why everything was pitch black before realizing the brightness on my TV was way too low. One nice touch about Echo Night Beyond is that the controls are clunky on purpose (R1/L1 to look up and down). It makes sense, running around in a big heavy spacesuit wouldn't be easy. Clock Tower 3 is just goofy. Siren is really tough, has a cool concept and is pretty drat scary. Haven't played Silent Hill 3 or Extermination yet but the latter probably hasn't aged well.

It's a shame a lot of these PS2 horror games are so ridiculously expensive. Looking at you, Haunting Ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Sadly Extermination didn't really age well and even for it's time, it was a bit of a bore that wasted a somewhat interesting setting with bizarre game play mechanics (like having a central weapon you strap attachments to and having to constantly refill a battery to open doors, or having to stave off infection along with paying attention to your health). Also it never really got scary because the writing was bad and the setup for most of the situations in game were generic.
One thing I did know about Extermination is that the voice acting is not very good. Oh well, at least I only payed 5 bucks for it.

Closest thing to a horror game I've played before I bought those games is Everblue 2. Fantastic game. It's made by the same company who did the Endless Ocean games although the focus here is less on learning about fish and more on exploring, and salvaging from, dark, claustrophobic sunken wrecks. Take too many items and your health will drop. Some of the wrecks are so huge that it's super easy to get lost in them so you have to know when to start heading back or whether it's safe to go over your bag limit. There's no music underwater aside from the diver's breathing (which sounds shallow and desperate when your oxygen runs low) and the theme that plays whenever a shark is nearby. That music fades in quietly so I'd often think it was playing when it was only my imagination. Then I ran into a gulper shark when I was lost in the underwater temple and I nearly had a heart attack.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I really wish Michigan: Report From Hell was released in NA. It has the most unintentionally hilarious voice acting I've ever heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4TKN7nC1W4

If you look at the IMDB profiles of the voice "actors," you'll see that they were in a lot of other games that, like Michigan: Report From Hell, are known for having terrible voice acting. It's kind of hilarious knowing that they're not just random people they picked off the street.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Ah sweet, I just found out that they finally released Haunting Ground on PSN in Japan.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Also you're best off emulating it if you want to play it, because used prices have gotten ludicrous,
Same goes for Haunting Ground but it just got released on PSN over in Japan so maybe it'll come to the NA and EU stores at some point. Kuon is pretty expensive too.

I like Siren (first game is scarier than Blood Curse) but it's extremely hard and definitely isn't for everyone. It's kind of a puzzle game because you have to figure out the monster's movement patterns and how far they can see so naturally, you're gonna die a lot.

Echo Night Beyond is also great. You're the only survivor of a plane crash on a haunted moon base, looking for clues as to where your fiance might be. Paths are cleared by bringing mementos to friendly ghosts. If you see a hostile ghost, you have to get out of there ASAP otherwise you'll die of a heart attack. I can't phrase this in a way that doesn't sound silly.

Everblue 2 isn't a straight up horror game, it's rated E and pretty relaxing at times but the sunken wreck and deep water dives are definitely tense. The game does a really good job at simulating how dark and claustrophobic diving in a shipwreck would be. I find this to be the scariest one I've played because getting lost and running out of air while diving in a big cruise ship/submarine/whatever is something that could actually happen. As for the deep water dives, you can only barely see what your flashlight is pointing at so when the shark theme (it's the only music that plays underwater) fades in, you usually don't know whether you're just hearing things until the shark is right in your face.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 4, 2015

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Abugadu posted:

EO2 dialed back the terror aspect by just having attacks drain your air, and after you ran low you would automatically surface. So there wasn't the threat of getting eaten, or getting deep-dive compressed into a tiny ball, or anything like that. But they made sure that it was not going to be a relaxed swim-around of a game.
Same company made a third person diving game on the PS2 called Everblue 2. You could actually die in that one. Either by running into a shark, getting lost in a giant wreck and running out of air, getting bit by a sea snake and not being able to get to the exit in time to surface or just being an idiot and going way over your bag limit. The only music underwater was a Jaw-ish theme that played when a shark showed up and it faded in quietly so I'd get worked up and think it was playing when it really wasn't. The diver's flashlight was pretty lovely and the hallways inside the sunken ships were really narrow so it definitely got claustrophobic. Fantastic game but hoo boy does it make me not want to go scuba diving.

Alien Isolation is great so far, it's so much fun to toss a noisemaker near a group of hostile people and watch the alien tear them apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Len posted:

Yeah but nothing I had found indicated that could happen. That was a straight up bullshit horror movie death.
The flamethrower guy's notes mention that wendigo can imitate voices. I remembered it just as Ashley was opening the hatch. :gonk: