Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I admire Kings ability to get the most absolute nonsense published, and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don't think Kojima hates making games, he's just terminally film-pilled.

There are also guys who have vision and the vision's not good or interesting. The actual example of a sweaty "put a hat on a hat" goofball who doesn't know when to quit and has never made a good game is Suda51

Being a film obsessed weirdo who gets a shot at making one can end up with you being a Tarantino or a Kevin Smith. Kojima is far more the former than the latter, and thank god

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I'd hesitate to agree on Harry. I like the dumbass but 90% of his personality is retroactive after SH3.

Man is willing to go through hell to save his daughter, that's king poo poo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How's them evil within games

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Incredible

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

bloodysabbath posted:

I wish Konami had just sold off MGS, Castlevania, and SH to Sony.

Sony has exactly one good first party series. The design ethos they're pushing is godawful.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kuon, Parasite Eve or Clock Tower?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

If that was the case they just would have not released it.

Also there was one producer (again the credits have like eight people) who was also the director.

The answer is probably Parasite Eve but which Clock Tower are we talking about?

The Original SNES release. Always meant to get around to checking it out same with PE. Kuon I just recently discovered and kind of just want to jump into it. Just seeing what people think since I'm quickly running out of RE games to play.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The graphics in Clock Tower are quite charming. And what little sound design there is as well. First death was from the mirror by the way.

I'm not sure if I understand the gameplay very well though, my first encounter with Scissor man I escaped him by just running through a ton of halls. I'd thought that the game would be more of a hide and seek affair, and some of the areas like the garage with the hay nails seem like they confirm that. Am I right in this assumption?

Secondly I like that Jennifer's portrait changes depending on her emotional state, I found that it moved from blue to red on my fleeing from SM which led to her tripping. Is this the only consequence of being in an emotionally fraught state or are there other consequences I cannot see? And is resting with triangle the only way to cure it?

I'd wish I'd have realized that you had to open the inventory to use items sooner. I'm going to have to go back and explore all the first wing again now that I know.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Does Clocktower remember your previous deaths or did I get good RNG; I got jumped by Scissorman in the Piano room, which actually gave me a jolt, and had to run back to the other wings bathroom to evade him. On locking the doors he initially jammed his scissors in and skewered Jennifer. But upon reloading he just gave up when confronted with the lock.

At least I've found the Demon Idol and discovered Mrs.Mary is an evil twin who killed my father. It's funny, the game feels pretty generous and kind with its reloading and how little actual action there is, but at the same time I have zero idea of where to go. I assume the Clocktower itself is the final area, but how to get there escapes me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

discworld is all I read posted:

There's quite a bit to Clocktower that's random, even for the SNES it was pretty impressive to have a perpetual enemy chasing you around from screen to screen or where it might decide to show up being somewhat random (or at least giving that impression). Also I think the game will try to give you the benefit of the doubt when you first try to hide in a location or use a spot to avoid Scissorman, but you can't keep relying on the same spot or setup as the next time (there really is a finite amount of safe places you can get to reasonably, at least I don't recall any traps or places you could continually use).

I think though there are some specific triggers to make sure your friends survive or not; depending on how much you want for spoilers, there are definitely ways to save some of the other kids but not all of them. Or you can definitely leave the house early...though that's not the best idea :)

I'd also say if you're interested in extra content, the SNES version was re-released with some extra content in Japan on the PS1 and it's got a fan translation out there. It was interesting the bits of added story, and I'm wanting to say there might have been some extra areas? Or maybe I'm just thinking of the cutscenes they added in.

Nice

Got the C ending on my first run, only part that really gave me trouble was the key to the ritual room. I kept clicking on the clown doll and not on the dresser. I did four or five laps of the mansion before I realized what I did wrong.

Very cool game. It nails the tone of that type of Horror movie perfectly, from the gothic mansion to the amontillado man all the way to the creature in the pit.

Highly recommend people who haven't play it give it a shot, it's pretty breezy once you get the gist of the movement and the panic system. As long as you realize that you need to grab the key from under the doll.

So story wise what I got is that Mary adopted the children secretly part of the Barrow family. Jennifer's dad was the one who delivered her children, one of which is the Scissorman and one of which is the Pit Creature, and she's been adopting and murdering the children to feed her sons and because she might literally be a demon or possessed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Parasite Eve's Opening music track doesn't feel like it fits with the visuals at all. The game already has an impressive amount of atmosphere though.
The Powerhouse of the Cell

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 11, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just saw a trailer for labyrinth at the theatre. Jennifer really is a young Jennifer drat.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Snake is basically Snake Plissken though. I wonder if it's just too niche. A simple name change would be enough to argue against it being the same person

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The bats in the sewer can gently caress right off. I'm going to assume I missed a piece of blind resist gear because otherwise I don't see how that poo poo got out of play testing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Parasite Eve. They have an attack that blinds you that comes out very quick, has a wide area of effect, and you fight them in small tunnels. Very tedious to have to keep healing blind or trying to dodge around them

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

As someone who likes Silent Hill but doesn't have any sort of nostalgic or emotional attachment to it I find that the fan base has built up their ideal Silent Hill sequel/remake in their minds so much that nothing will actually be able to live up to the expectations they hold for any continuation.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The tone of PE2 is really not vibing with me. The first game was like a Crichton novel, this game feels like X-Files and Dino Crisis wrapped together.

Also, this series is one of the very very few I think would be better with voice acting.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CullenDaGaDee posted:

The idea of a Resident Evil style game with RPG mechanics is at least novel, but Parasite Eve 2 really missed an opportunity to polish a pretty cool system for the time from the previous game. At least replays for higher ranks with different difficulties makes it a little more dynamic than Resident Evil 2 or 3.

This is what really kills me. The first games systems had some real problems but ejecting them all to make a more actiony RE was not the solution I would've chosen.

The first game felt like a real crisis with everyone coming together to try and figure out what the hell is going on and how to stop it. The second game up to Dirtville just feels like a procedural. Why are the Mitochondrial creatures now common enough to devote a branch of the FBI to? How did they go from Eve's great design to No.9's hideous design that gives off mad incompetent mini boss energy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Clouds

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Calling Village one of the worst is crazy. Even if you don't like it it's not a chore to play the way CV, Zero, and 6 are, nor is it an awful remake like 3R. Its biggest issue is that the Village itself is a nightmare to navigate and that it clearly got chopped up during development worse than most of the games in the series.

7 is more solid as a product and as a sort of mission statement for the series going forward, but I'd rather play Village. Granted I also like Gothic horror and weird mechanical body horror more than I like Texas Chainsaw hillbilly horror.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I always wanted a Dead Rising on a Cruise Ship. Or one docked at an island resort

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Finally beat Parasite Eve II

As much as the game seems to be pushing replayability I do not think I will be participating. The Tower and Dirtville both have great atmosphere, it's not as good as 90's NY in the Christmas season but it does a good job of capturing the millennial X-files adjacent atmosphere. Even with the Coke advertisements plastered everywhere. What a weird choice for Coke marketing btw. But even in Dryville by the time you get to having to run back to Douglas multiple times on fetch quests I was starting to get a bad feeling. And that feeling turned out mostly correct. The bunker was a complete slog, everything looks the same, all the character in the environments is gone and your left running back and forth aimlessly looking for the path forward. Several times I couldn't understand why I was going where I was going to, and what I was supposed to accomplish.
I was over it by the time I got to Neo Ark and then I had to suffer from some of the worst puzzles I've ever seen in one of these types of games, the sliding block puzzle and the pyramid puzzle specifically. When you get to the climax chasing No.9 only for it to end with the Marines showing up, and then forcing you to turn your rear end right around and go back I felt such a crushing sense dread. It's my number one criticism of the game, there is no forward momentum at all. And anytime you think there is going to be some the game hits some brick wall. The first game had this beautiful framing device of starting on Christmas Eve and watching the crisis just get worse and worse each day as you struggled to get a hold of what the situation even was. 2 makes it seem like you're on two separate low stakes cases before you start to unravel the mystery of what's going on which really fucks with your mindset going in. There's no glorious, operatic opening to compel your chase into Dryfield the way that 1 has. I feel like I'm just going through the motions the entire time and being held up by asking permission for a wrench or having to find a gas can cause apparently a mechanics shop and a gas station don't have one laying around.

A huge part of the problem is the characters, PE had an incredibly compelling villain from the start and introduced an interesting human villain as well in Klamp. Practically all of the humans involved in the Neo-Neoteny plan are already dead at the start so almost all the villain burden is heaped on a discount henchman who acts totally incoherently for most of the game. There's also this subplot of some of the ANMC's being under Eve's control and some being free but why did they go out of their way to attack the Akropolis tower? The whole start of the game doesn't really make any sense unless I'm missing something. They also try to dip their toes in into some conspiracy angles to make up for the lack of anything else going on in the plot, but it doesn't really work. It's hard to take the Second Neoteny plan seriously, and Kyle playing male Ada does not work.

Speaking of Kyle, he is the biggest sufferer of from the lack of voice acting. The thing is, I think the first game could've used it, but the way the game was directed wisely focused on keeping the camera drawn out and the characters gesturing wildly. II instead draws the camera in and tries to direct it more intimately which makes them all incredibly awkward watching slow rear end text scroll while zero music plays and people just stare at each other on mute. Kyle seems like he is supposed to be kind of a sardonic rear end in a top hat love interest but instead comes off like a loving prick who is constantly lying and berating Aya then having asides that he actually really likes her. gently caress him, maybe you should've shot No.9 before I had to do half this loving game.

The climax ends up being a total nothing. The Golems are awful to fight, the Neoteny plan already failed but everyone still wants Eve so people have to run in circles trying to find her. Melissa 2.0 comes out of nowhere after No.9 ignobly dies after explaining his nonsensical raison d'être. Then Kyle and Aya get together I guess. I mean when Aya's other options are a dork, a dude who brags about his father getting opera tickets, and another dork I guess it makes sense.

Realizing that I got the bad ending was disheartening, but looking up what I would have had to do would've made me lose my mind. I already thought the game was tedious and not compelling, going back to the second area to do all of it again while you're supposed to be exploring the shelter and finding Eve is insane.

The gameplay is alright, the music is significantly worse than the previous and the atmosphere doesn't match at all. I never got angry or mad at the game, but I frequently found myself wishing that the game was just better.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Please no more Chris. Let someone else be in the game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i finished both re:4 and re4make.

re:4 was pretty clearly the better game, but that's not really a fair comparison when one of the two games is literally one of the most acclaimed games ever. anyway i can not believe the crafting system in re4make passed muster.

also i liked combat in re4 a lot more once i got used to the controls, it did a fun job of translating the bits in the fixed angle games where it was all about finding good positioning.

One interesting bit is that in the OG Japanese version the section played with Ashley is classic fixed camera angle. It's pretty interesting to see a small slice of what could've been if they'd just kept rolling with it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Time for a name change

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man I didn't realize they were finally gone. Getting the one two of streaming and Redbox must've been terrible for them. Even Redbox seems to be nearly dead despite how low cost their whole operation must be. Physical media, even just renting, is purely for purists and collectors it seems nowadays.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Clocktower gameplay translates surprisingly well into 3D. I was pretty worried during the prologue with all the words being tossed around, but the second I got into the chase scene everything fell into place.

Feels like Scream plot wise so far. Either Barton or Nolan is going to betray me, but I'm also sure after they made a point about Scissorman wearing a mask in CT1 that Edward is actually just Bobby faking amnesia to get Jessica.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I almost started with it by accident because of the NA naming issues with the series. I've heard it's a trash fire, but these games are pretty short so I'll give it at least one playthrough.

Almost beat the game yesterday but gave up after seeing how absurd the amount of Scissorman encounters in the castle is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Finished Clocktower PS1 with ending D Jennifer. I was worried about the adventure game sections in between the classic clocktower gameplay at first but those with the shorter escape scenarios actually worked pretty well. The last scenario really dragged the game down for me though, Scissorman went from being an occasional threat to being an absolute chore at that point. I must've escaped him almost twenty times, and being as I seemed to run out of escape opportunities quickly most of those were leading him all the way to the outside door of the castle to drop him out. The beds all being too close to the ground to hid under and the closets too full of clothes was pretty funny the first time though. The Castle also is really oddly put together and I never got a full grasp of the geography despite the admittedly helpful differing door shapes.

Story WiseEdward being evil is almost too predictable. And I didn't really get any other answers, Harris was helping him because he wanted Jennifer and Barton seems to have killed himself in the Garden room so maybe he felt guilty for something or not? Was Kay helping Edward? I never even saw her again. The game also feels like it was missing a cutscene between going to England and the start of the Castle chapter. We're going there and then suddenly they realize Jennifer is gone and then you play as her and most of the cast is captured or dead. How did they even get into the Castle?

I actually think it won't be too bad once I play it again though, I got a dagger and a plate that seem to lead to a better ending but unfortunately I hosed up something and the only survivor I found was Nolan and Edward and I never managed to translate the note I found. Now I can avoid ninety percent of the interactables that only seem to move the Scissorman timer up.

Thank god for the hints though, I would've never guessed talking to Harris is what determined who you play as. I'm not sure what the one talking about the Terrace means though, just that you can escape into the room with the ghosts if you click on the ledge?