Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
DreadOut has some really cool ghost designs and a couple of very rad scenes but it's supposedly extremely clunky to actually play and the details of what the heck is actually happening are pretty drat opaque

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That sounds about right. I guess you didn't get to see the skyscraper sized ghost lady or the chat with your friend scene then? It's full of really neat Indonesian horror stuff, it's such a shame that the game itself is pretty busted :(

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Detention and Lone Survivor are both good too, dunno if I'd call them bonkers but quality horror adventure and 2d survival horror games respectively

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Agreed. Definitely going to look some of these up

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Bogart posted:

Let me put in a recommendation for Morph Girl. Has some good atmosphere to it. Kinda Her Story-ish, in that it's FMV. http://store.steampowered.com/app/688260/Morph_Girl/

Oh I was planning on picking this up sometime, it looks like it could be pretty interesting

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Heck yeah

What a good game

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
They make the best games, love the Void so much

Path2 is gunna be amazing, I hope it runs on my computer

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Iktf, I don't want to just ask them to remake the things they've already done but dammit if I wouldn't love a Void remake too

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh for sure, Pathologic kind of needed it especially given the original translation, unlike the Void. I'd just love to see that world again and how they'd iterate on it after all this time.

That said, more than happy if they never retrace their steps again after this path remake/sequel

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Formidable Azure, approaching storm, bringer of Death, searing whip,
executioner's blade, open to the heart of thy lowly servant.
To the one approaching as storm, cutting as axe, rising as Death, to me praying to thee, answer.
My fow to the depths of pain, into the Vortex of suffering, throw.
While you Torcher tear him from within, be slow.
When he cries out to thee, his voice begging mercy, be silent.

Crimson, furious, color of avengers and prophets, banner of the righteous,
essence of blood, grant power to thy warrior messenger.
Me, thy faithful warrior messenger, recall.
Sharpen my blade, my strike with thy destructive might, provide.
Blood and nerve from my foes' sinews, yield.
Guide the edge of my sword, my target—slay.

Violet, vibrant chameleon of colors, mysterious tale,
lair of the Archane, come to my core, aid in my vengeance,
battling a hideous, wicked, unfamiliar foe, help me.
By lies and deceit, the one who challenges my righteousness, shall die.
The one who watched me, in hope of exposing my weakness, be blind.
His color shall fail, his hammer shall fall, his voice—shall quiver.

Cold-blooded Argent, unbendable backbone, treasury of the forsaken kingdom,
patron of the takers, strengthen thy servant.
The one who listens to thee, searches for thee, and is blindly obedient, shall be answered.
The skin of the Keeper, his tendons, ligaments, and muscles, shall be hardened.
His heart, open to Lympha of all colors, shall be warmed.
Wasters of all colors who dare to give, shall be tortured.

Emerald, heavy and viscous as tar, enveloping canopy, invulnerable shield,
arbiter of scales, bestow thy power to this venerable warrior.
To me, who raised the vengeful hammer, listen.
Fiendish plot of the heretic, who dares resist, twist.
His treacherous soul, chaotic and insane, banish.

From here

Knorth fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 3, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

oldpainless posted:

Hello friends, I finally beat SOMA and am now qualified to answer any questions you might have on it. Please, don't be shy.

I'm starting to think one of my cousins might secretly be a robot, what should I do?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Gooood. Very excited to be sad, in an dying town

drat these gifs are big

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
This looks pretty neat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STCNh5ZHG2c

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It's weird, it sounds like there should pauses between his comments but it's edited so there isn't?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
What is this hyper realistic skeletons joke?

Kokoro Wish posted:

I'd go for Darkwood with farming hosed up fungus and scream trees, sure. Hiding in my house at night so that what lurks out there and some of my own crops don't gently caress me up. Venturing out in the morning to see what new blasphemy my hideous horticultural horde has birthed.

Yeah! Also do up a nice basket of entrails and fungus to gift to a swamp person bachelor/bachelorette on their birthday

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Vakal posted:

A Harvest Moon set in the dust bowl during the great depression would be a pretty good start for a setting.

"Oh look, my teeth are being ground down to nubs due to constant sand in every mouthful of the little food I have left."

Also yes, I would play a Harvest Moon with the general tone and aesthetic of that old Carnivale show

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM_IO4bv76g
Pretty neat looking

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Now this looks cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C27hfkAafI

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The whole 'sex is evil and scary' morality thing in these depictions of Hell is really tired and gross in ways that probably aren't intended but the game seems ...fine? other than that. I'm kinda curious if it goes anywhere interesting or if 'These naked demon ladies are sexy and dangerous' is the only card it's got

Knorth fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 27, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Improbable Lobster posted:

Are there any decent spook 'em ups on the Switch yet? Layers of Fear is the only one I can think of offhand but I've already played it

Detention is on there too I think, a good spooky adventure

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah, part of why they put out the HD version with the new translation was because Path2 was ending up substantially different from the original

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I'm liking the idea behind pamali, deciding whether to be polite enough to avoid the ghost or to purposely antagonise it for fun.

Also the option to do the only sensible horror protagonist decision and leave!

This seems like it could be extremely cool, hope they make their funding

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Silent Sea.

You wouldn't actually get hurt (although the player doesn't know that), but there'd be a lot of implications in those vast, lonely waters.

I want this

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Actually it's about how sadness is healthy and being a WASP about emotional things isnt. When you corral all your kids onto trains for the germans, that's on you and you need to come to terms with it, not take a pill to forget.

In no way is Joy showed as a necessary medication for anyone with mental health issues, it is a 'forget every bad thing you ever did' pill, and simplifying it into 'antidepressants bad' is either disingenuous or ill-informed of what's in the actual game and relying off of Twitter

Danaru posted:

Like that's cool and all but also the narrative director said it's about antidepressants

https://twitter.com/ponettplus/status/1027710721252057090?s=19

There we have it, I guess.

Knorth fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 16, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/IcePickLodge/status/1039569639511076865

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
They also made Pathologic HD, the original with a legible translation

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Gamer discourse is the true horror

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I hear it's a spooky place

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I wish Catherine had been the main character

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Darkwood is good and spooky and 50% off if you don't mind some crafting/survival. I /think/ it's only on PC

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

TGLT posted:

I do. I love roguelikes where you mostly die and never finish the game. I think Hide and Shriek is a good video game that is worth more than a bajillion Destinies because it tried something novel, even if it's really not that great in the end. Give me the fresh weird dumb poo poo. Give me the video where the main character breaks down in a corner, and then dies. Let's ignore that in fact people do brave or at least desperate poo poo especially when it's their last choice, give me the video game where you play the coward who refuses to do anything and runs away, and then dies.

Give me the video game where you only get one life period ever after which the game locks you out, and it's the zombie apocalypse. Give me the zombie apocalypse video game where I can play a stupid idiot who dies. Battle Royale - One Shot and Then You're Dead and If You Win The World's Dead So Have Fun Idiot.

Agreed

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

quote:

"Formidable Azure, approaching storm, bringer of death, searing whip, executioner’s blade -- open to the heart of thy lowly servant!
To the one approaching as storm, cutting as axe, rising as death, to me praying to thee —
Answer!
My foe to the depths of pain, into the vortex of suffering —
Throw.
While you torture, tear him from within —
Be slow.
When he cries out to thee, his voice begging mercy —
Be silent."

"Amber, rapture of wilderness, chaos of maelstroms, bone-breaking laughter, rider of the vortex’s edge -- open to the heart of thy lowly servant!
To the righteous will of the seeker of thine guidance —
Heed.
Meet blood with blood, taboo breaker —
Bind.
Crushing flesh, twisting mind —
Constrict
Feed your thirst, bury him under heel —
Kill."

"Emerald, heavy and viscous as tar, enveloping canopy, invulnerable shield, arbiter of scales -- bestow thy power to this venerable warrior.
To me, who raised a vengeful hammer —
Listen.
Fiendish plot of the heretic, who dares resist —
Twist.
His treacherous soul, chaotic and insane —
Banish."

"Crimson, furious, color of avengers and prophets, banner of the righteous, essence of blood -- grant power to thy warrior messenger.
Me, thy faithful warrior messenger —
Recall.
Sharpen my blade, my strike with thy destructive might —
Provide.
Blood and nerve from my foe’s sinews —
Yield.
Guide the edge of my sword, my target —
Slay."

"Violet, vibrant, chameleon of colors, mysterious tale, lair of the arcane -- come to my call, aid in my vengeance.
Battling a hideous, wicked, unfamiliar foe —
Help me.
By lies and deceit the one who challenges my righteousness —
Shall die.
The one who watched me in hope of exposing my weakness —
Be blind.
His Color shall fail, his hammer shall fall, his voice...
...shall quiver."

"Cold-blooded argent, unbendable backbone, treasury of the forsaken kingdom, patron of the takers -- strengthen thy servant.
The one who listens to thee, searches for thee and is blindly obedient —
Shall be answered
The skin of the keeper, his tendons, ligaments and muscles —
Shall be hardened
His heart, open to Lympha of all Colors —
Shall be warmed
Wastrel of all Colors who dared to give —
Shall be tortured."

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The best video game

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It's kind of weird situation where the LP itself is actually legitimately great. The game isn't /too/ janky, some of the spells don't really work like they're described and can be tricky to pull off but it's a pretty punishing game of essentially resource management. There are patches out in the internet to lower the difficulty if you do want to play it without really stressing but it's rough and oppressive by design so there's no shame in just watching the extremely good CK9 LP

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/CausticReality/status/1052817190674608129

I don't think I'd heard of this and honestly, it looks very 'Horror Video Game' but hey you never know

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Infra?

I don't think that was a horror game specifically, just had a good kinda-spooky atmosphere

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The one coming out soon is based on some pen and paper Cthulu rpg I think so hopefully it's enough of its own thing to be interesting. I'm more interested in the one coming next year by the people who make those Sherlock games but definitely curious to hear more about this other one

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
:agreed:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Cmon Sinking City

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014