Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I know women approaching thirty who genuinely believe in Slendermen(?) I don't tell them where it came from because a) It's good for a laugh and b) I'd have to admit that I'm a huge goon who reads too much of an online forum.

I want to replay the REMake but I bought it for my Xbox1 and y'know what? I just can't bring myself to do it.

It's the doors.

Now I know people claim it's an integral part of the Resident Evil experience. I put my time in when I was a teenager when the original came out. I went through the tension of entering a new area and I didn't mind then. I knew it was a cool way of masking loading times and it was asthetically cool and whatever, but I'm a grown man now. I'm closer to the grave than half the zombies in the game and watching a slow animation of a door opening just reminds me of a coffin lid closing... Only in reverse. I can't be doing with it.

No, joking aside it's really put me off. Someone like that Matthew mattosis fella could probably sum it up better than I could, but there's SO MUCH dead time and having played all the Resi games I just couldn't justify it on another run. If there was a speed up button or a skip button, even if it was an option after completing the game? I don't know. Should have picked it up for the PC so I could mod it or something.

That being said me and all me mates had a great weekend in with a few beers playing through it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Glad I'm not the only one. The itch is still there though and I'm wanting to do the speed run achievement at some point too. Might just save up a few hours worth of podcasts when I have a free weekend.

Just to save a little face I'm fine with the inventory and save system. I've seen people moan about that too. Now THOSE are core Resident Evil traits.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
That's why I'd love to see Matthew Mattosis(spelling?) do a review of the game. That guy is utterly fascinating when it comes to these little details.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'd recomend EgoManiac's Siren LP's to anyone interested in the games but not willing to fight the awkward and janky controls. He covers EVERYTHING about them in detail, doesn't talk over the videos and it's played well.

edit: One of the best things about the Siren games is that it's thoroughly creepy, tense and offputting even when you aren't playing the game. I tried watching some Fatal Frame LP's, but I don't know. Always feels like I'd have to be the one playing them for me to get the full effect.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
As much as I love vampire I'll always noclip the beach house and the sewers.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Does anyone know what episode of the LP the Shibito house is? I'm going to start watching them again tonight, but if time is tight I'd really like to see that one.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I remember saying something about randomly generated enemies back when Resident Evil: Homecoming came out. There was a great bit where you had to navigate this hanging maze in an abyss. It was tense as hell and in the end there we no enemies, but I kept expecting there to be.

I never did another playthrough, but I'd have liked to have seen differences like enemies spawning in there because you'd have been complaicent going through it a second time.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm surprised Rockstar aren't making a Manhunt 3. Or was the combined shittiness of 2 on top of the controversy it created scared them off?

With just how horrific some of the Fatalities in MKx are It sort of feels like the whole "violence in videogames" thing is moot now.

I'd love a Manhunt on the same thematic level of the first. We can only hope.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Well I just bought like, 7 games thanks to that list.

The answer is probably "NO" but is there ANY chance that we would EVER find out what Kojima/Del Torro had planned for Silent Hills. Like even some notes scrawled on a beer mat would be enough. I'm not asking for Jodorowsky's DUNE here. Any tidbits would be nice.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Is there a good LP of Rule of Rose anywhere? I checked youtube and it appeared that the two best friends people (Maybe?) did one but it was just them guffawing over the whole thing. I know nothing about that game besides the fact it's pretty weird so I wanted something more akin to Egomaniac's Siren playthroughs.

God, they were good.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Thanks for all the Rule of Rose replies.

OxMan posted:

Every time i think i might enjoy rule of rose i pull up a video from the lparchive LP after the blimp part starts and watch like 30 minutes and then realize how much I'd hate playing through that myself.

I know, right? I'm just watching it utterly bewildered thanking god that someone out there managed to go through this so I didn't have to. Plus I know those are "stock" beating noises but they feel extra nasty in that game for some reason.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

InsidiousMuppet posted:

Silent Hill 4.

Just started watching Harsly Critical play this from years ago. I could have swore down I saw someone else do a video Let's Play but none of it is ringing any bells for me at all, especially the dude's voice acting. jesus.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Niggurath posted:

I'm usually considered dull garbage, but I didn't do any dumb gimmicks for my SH 4 LP: http://lparchive.org/Silent-Hill-4-(Video)/

I think it was a screenshot LP that I read back in the day which is where the confusion came in. I'll have to put this in my "To watch" list as whilst it's fun seeing HC bumble around a semi-familiar game I'd also like to see someone who knows what's what to have a crack at it.

Also nthing the love for the original trailer. There were two, I believe. The extended one had some initially bizarre and weird imagery like the mushrooms and wheelchairs which in context were kind of hysterical in their execution. So glad I didn't actually buy it on release. I just hate having to run and dodge between enemies as I try and check all the doors and areas so the ghosts and respawning freaks from 3 really killed my desire to play them.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really hated The Suffering, just felt like endless combat against waves of boring enemies with health pack rooms in between

The one thing that really stood out about The Suffering was they had a "Morality" system in place and every now and they you'd meet a guard hiding or smoking a joint or something and the little voice in your head would be all, "Kill the coward" but then you'd have to hack away at him for like, 30 seconds to kill the dude. Why did he have so much health if he was just there to be a prop for the morality system?

Are my memories hazy or did the Suffering 2 just re-hash the enemies from 1? I remember being pretty disappointed with the lackluster enemies in 2 but still played it 3 times to see the beasts various iterations... Or was that from 1 as well? Jesus... I don't recall much thinking about it now... Besides the final boss had a dong which was you.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I was always surprised that SH Homecoming is regarded so badly. Yeah its basically the Dead Space 2 of the SH franchise but I thought the story was pretty solid and personal compared to some of the dreck that was in the other ones

It was miles ahead of Downpour IMHO. The fact the enemies weren't just "Zombie/Cenobite man with barbed wire" and "BIG zombie man" makes it stand out. Aesthetically too it felt more like a Silent Hill game. That mad labyrinth you had to traverse held gingerly over the void? I loved that. The closest Downpour got was that weird prison room with free floating stairs. Though I barely remember the story of either and I know Homecoming had arbitrary cameos and kinda turned to SAW near the end, but still...

Just feels with even a slight tune-up Downpour could have been something much, much better.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I hate that I keep brining him up, but was watching Harsly critical playing Firewatch and binged the entire thing in one go. That was really engaging and kinda creepy up to a point. Kind of reminded me of Scratches how Your own paranoia feeds into this greater story that doesn't actually happen.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Was Fatal Frame 3 the one where you hear rain pattering against glass until you realise it's not raining and when you look up at the skylight you see there's loving ghosts peering down at you drumming on the glass?

Because no way am I creative enough to have made that up on my own but I can never remember what it's from.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
My PC poo poo itself and I was half way through eh Rule of Rose LP. Really worth watching as the LPer (Can't remember the name) does a great job of showing everything off and because it's a Goon thread it's not an annoying, shrieking youtuber either. Hope I can finish it soon.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Basic Chunnel posted:

Vampire: Bloodlines didn't have a doll level but there's a fetish you have to retrieve with a neat little spooky story attached (squad of soldiers stationed in Africa goes to sleep one night and dolls are found in their beds in the morning)

I don't remember that at all. Just means I have to re-play Vampire game I guess!

Did I hear somewhere that Obsidian had the rights to make more Vampire games or was that just a beautiful fever dream I had?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I love that out of nowhere Condemned 2 had you fighting a magician doing a stage show because Sander Cohen was so loving popular after BioShock came out.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The hospital bit at the beginning of Phantom Pain with the burning man and Psycho Mantis was brilliant and tense and yeah, Kojima needs to do a full on horror game.

Also in the Splatterhouse game you fist a demons rear end until it dies. It's boss.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I spent the friday night after buying Dark Corners in a house with a huge gang of scal lads (Chavs, kind of?) who were all chaining spliffs and talking about the footy until my mate told me to lash the game on. Real weird sitting there with all these lads who would normally be loitering around street corners with their hands down their pants watching me trying to outrun fish men in a hotel. Still, good times!

This weekend I was visiting friends and finally got to play that PT demo and even though I'd seen videos I still loving poo poo one when the ghost got me. As did everyone else in the room. I was explaining that maybe you have to talk into the mic to solve the puzzle then BAM she got me. Is that intentional or really good timing?

If they do Evil Within 2 I hope they pick a focus and stick to it. Low ammunition survival horror or run and gun swarm horror like RE4. That castle part suuuucked.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

unpacked robinhood posted:

You didn't like the castle part in RE4 ? I haven't played the Evil Within

No, sorry. The castle part in Evil Within. EW was slowly veering towards Resident Evil 4 levels of gameplay and then there's a castle section with archers being held up in cages that you have to snipe as the grounds swarm with zombies and you have all of, like, 5 bullets.

It genuinely felt like a Resident Evil 4 level only you have no ammo and never really felt like it was made to be played "Stealthily". It's been a while since I played it so I can't remember the specifics now but it was really jarring and off putting.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Not really a horror game (and some may argue it's not even a GOOD game) but Dante's Inferno was directly influenced by the works of Beksinski. As were some of the later levels of Lord of Shadows.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I laughed my rear end off when I got to the final circle of hell and it was literally one corridor then a fight with satan's giant dick.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Morpheus posted:

Yeah that was the weird part of the game, I found - it begins with you sneaking around a village, using stealth takedowns because alerting all your foes means death. Then they completely forgo this for big action scenes, almost never giving you the chance to use stealth ever again. It's like the game couldn't decide what it was supposed to be.

Yeah they went full Resident Evil 4 in parts with a castle with hanging cage snipers and other mad poo poo but it felt like they forgot Resident Evil 4 let you carry more than 3 bullets at a time.

Why has no game ever come close to being as fun as Resi 4?

I've tried to explain this to a pal who has only played 5 minutes of 4 but beat 5. Four is just more fun. I think new game + and all the mad weapon upgrades and gimmick runs might have something to do with it, but I can't articulate it properly.

Shadows of the Damned came close, KINDA. It had a merchant and all that, but the guns were just straight upgrades and couldn't be sold or mixed or matched. I really disliked the final upgrade for the machinegun and wanted to downgrade it, but no such luck.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'd definitely watch Harshly Critical play that.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I recall the prison cell head dude in Cryostasis was far more, uh, trippy? Than outright scary.

The longer he looked at you the more the screen changed and faded until you were seeing yourself from within the cell that was his face.

I always thought that was really loving cool.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
And going in the opposite direction the Yamibito in siren 2 head heads... FOR BODIES! :vince:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Cloche posted:

Ugghh those were so goofy. Was I the only one thoroughly let down by Siren 2? The story was interesting and some of the gimmicks were great (seeing eye dog navigation!!!!) but the atmosphere and, uh, "monster" design couldn't compare to the first. Forbidden Siren is one of the few games that's managed to give me that "immediately turn on all the lights after you're done playing" kind of vibe, and even Blood Curse recaptured a little bit of that magic. The only stages I remember in Siren 2 that came anywhere near the other two in tension were the ones where you played the kid and his mysterious sister.

I still appreciate it for what is and the improvements it made, even if the horror part of it was.... lacking. A lot. I want to like it, though. Maybe it's just time for me to revisit it and give it another chance with fresh eyes.

I loved Siren 2 for the utterly bizarre and expanded universe stuff it brought to the table. I'll have to rewatch EgoManiac's LP of it soon because I've forgotten a lot of it and he even helped me translate some words into their Yamibito language for a tattoo.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
All of EgoManiac's Siren 2 videos were hosted on now defunct sites. I wonder if he still has them on an old hard drive somewhere. I'll have to send a PM inquiring about it.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Oh my! That's my night sorted then. Thanks for the heads up!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

VoidBurger posted:

Not a game, but I'd like to recommend the Netflix original series Stranger Things to the thread because it scratched a lot of horror/sci-fi itches for me, personally! It did a lot of Silent Hill things way better than the Silent Hill movie did those things.

SOLD!

Everyone I've spoke to compared it to SUPER 8 of all loving things and I hated that film...

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

DropsySufferer posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. I hated those SH movies but this sounds great.

It's a lot more Shattered Memories visual wise than anything else*. Just a heads up. Still a great show though.

*And also how the monster pulls itself into our world is reminiscent of the ghosts in RE4 too, I guess.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Just on a personal level I prefered Dead Space 1 because of how crazy and weird the bosses were. Like that giant wall of flesh in the bio-tubes and the final worm thing. Nothing came close to those in 2, although I did love the little raptor monsters.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

al-azad posted:

The only way I can see it smartly (lol) tied in is if the soldiers returning to the "real world" are the creepy monstrous ones you have to rescue occasionally.

Yeah, the oily dudes. The first one of those I encountered freaked me out a bit. I didn't know what the gently caress was going on.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It was like that with the Silent Hill comics too from what I remember. Like a gang of street punks end up in Silent Hill, meet Pyramid Head NATURALLY and ultimately end up with a military cache's worth of uzi's and AK's moving down crap nurse rip-offs.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Mind you, a lot of people on my Facebook have been talking about it and saying how creepy and craaaazy it is. So maybe we're just a bunch of deranged lunatics who have been desensitised.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I wasn't saying anyone was offended by it. Just saying for as many people there are who don't think it looks scary there are people who are really freaked out by it. :)

edit:
To be fair whilst none of it seems spooky in the slightest I do like the floating people. I'm a fan of casual floaters (fnar fnar) like the ghosts in Silent Hill 4, so there is that.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's not subtle at all, it's explicitly stated

I think they meant subtle as opposed to just being outright whacky.

Crabtree posted:

Demons, rabies virus, going crazy and potentially becoming a serial killer, I don't care.

as much as I love zombies, yeah, I dream of the day we get a game like "State of Decay" but set during a Cosmic Horror style even where the world is just going to poo poo and you're just struggling to survive again utterly bizarre and horrific being from dimension x.