Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
I think the resident evil approach is mostly fine, savepoints are still relatively plentiful and deaths are sparse and usually heavily telegraphed. with how short those oldschool horror games tend to be overall you're likely not going to be spending any more time on them than any other single player campaign out there. games being as efficient and painless as possible is a good general rule but there's some novelty to be had outside of that, looking at sections more comprehensively and having to consider risk. Should there be a tempsave feature that separates the in game logic of ribbon checkpoints and the program being turned off to attend to real life poo poo? yes, absolutely.

idontpost69 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

feedmyleg posted:

Are there any horror games that feel like artsy-yet-schlocky Italian horror cinema? Like if I wanted to play something with a Suspiria vibe.

Indie posterboy Puppet Combo definitely dabbles in that a bit aside from his more typical vhs grindhouse shtick, The Glass Staircase and Nun Massacre come to mind though be warned actually playing them is kinda rough.

idontpost69 fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 27, 2023

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
I had a similar experience but with the VR version of AI, I would need to psyche myself up just to leave the pause screen early in the game. A game can still make me uneasy but nothing will make me nope out and alt+f4 anymore after experiencing that.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Evil Within 2 is a ton of fun but i never played the first one
I would describe it as re4 but with much more focus on miniboss setpiece encounters like the garradors, U2/Verdugo, dr salvador etc., it's not a perfect game but it absolutely delivers on that aspect. I mean really in the context of the horror genre it plays FINE.

idontpost69 fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 20, 2023

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
please tell me you didn't need help on the bloody piano

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

roomtone posted:

of course that's what i'm talking about!

there's blood on the keys, does that mean anything? no, it doesn't. it's obviously reducing the poem down to whether the birds in it are white or black, even though at least pelicans are both, and about playing the keys that don't make a sound in the order those coloured birds appear in the poem. super easy.
I'm sorry, you failed one of the fabled gamer rites of passage.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
here's a hint for your playthrough, make sure you've completed everything in an area before you cross a bridge.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
did you get the car crash ending?

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
I ask about the ending because it's weirdly easy to fail that kaufman quest with an untelegraphed point of no return. so many people probably got locked into that downer just a dream ending for crossing a bridge fully intending to go back and complete the quest.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
does alan wake 2 do anything to change up the shadow workman enemy type? for as much as I'm fond of the original game that particular monster/entity design just fell completely flat for me, was never creeped out or intrigued once.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
how much meat is there to the non combat gameplay? are you combing locations solving puzzles and navigating or are you just kind of going through story sequences?

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
Sam Lake 2 seems like a nice little game but excessive quirkiness, boring enemy design, and an undeserved crossover shared universe, that's 3 strikes for me. Maybe I'll pick it up in a steam sale in a couple years.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
I'm still just in awe of them going with the title 'Townfall', literally the most hack naming convention possible.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

Tired Moritz posted:

I kinda feel bad now tbh
In one of the preshows the guy gave an aside about the wisdom he learned working for the long time CEO of square enix, Yochi Wada, as routine an occurrence as it is these days I still have to pause and reflect on the lofty positions these people reach while getting absolutely dunked on by random online losers.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

Sakurazuka posted:

They done this before with IPs no one really cared about and weren't expecting a fanbase as rabid as 'still Silent Hill fans' lol
disagree, this is so absurdly gauche that any casual observer would pick up on it, it's gone beyond the fanbase. I mean metal gear survive at least was building off something that had been a part of the series since 3, the multiplayer goofiness.

idontpost69 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 2, 2023

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
was the bit with Harry being on the razor's edge of killing Heather as a baby weird for anyone else or did I just not get it?

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
I will say that I really like the way 3 executed Harry's death, they make it real for the player by denying you the fan service reunion you'd been anticipating the entire first half of the game, 99 games out of 100 have heather holding Harry's head as he gasps out "Heather remember...remember the water bottle."

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
I always give credit to a game that can conceive of a premise other than killing though I suppose you're technically killing fire.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
how do you let your main running animation be that bad? they couldn't pay someone a day of animation work to get something that looks passable?

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
videogames give kojima so much leeway in pacing and content that I can't imagine he'd be satisfied with the relative strictness of a feature length film. In a game at any time he can put up an overlay and deliver a twenty minute dialogue scene no matter how trivial the subject matter and have the only cost be paying a voice actor.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

WaltherFeng posted:

For me its RE4R because its the perfect action game with a cool horror aesthetic.

Roundhouse kicking cultists should be a subgenre of its own.
While RE4R is great I don't think I would throw around the term perfect to describe it. The aim bloom and lethargic movement even if an intentional choice to make the game feel weighty were a little sloppy in my eyes, definitely could have been tightened up a bit.

idontpost69 fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 9, 2023

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
One thought I had towards the end of re4r is that there is a kind of latent novelty to 6th gen action spectacle that was lost in the 7th and 8th gen. I was never the biggest fan of the island in the original but I still found it neat in a way, I had zero enthusiasm for the equivalent in 2023.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So I'm looking to play some classic Resident Evil-style games. Are there any good indie games recently, besides Signalis, that do it? Or, like, romhacks or mods of the old ones?
Also I guess what is the best way to play RE2, 3, and CV these days? Especially on Steam Deck since that's my main gaming platform these days.
murderhouse controls like RE but is closer in premise to something like clocktower, still would recommend.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
control reminds me of a modern network tv show I would never watch, like the blacklist meets scp.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

Basic Chunnel posted:

He even did the stock standard “this is NOT a game, we are BEYOND games” schtick.

Excited to see which FROMsoft design innovation he’ll take credit for this time around. Timed parries? World reactivity to emotes? Fat rolling? Only time will tell.

I'm actually pretty sure it's literally not a game instead some kind of interactive multimedia product.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
I cannot play open worlds with transparent icon marked engagement activities, can't do it anymore.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
the best pt type game of them all is funnily enough a mario 64 romhack.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
my last rentals were tv seasons, there was still a sliver of practicality there that hadn't been negated by prime having virtually every mainstream movie release for 3.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
"It's got ARG elements going on, so a hint here and there might be needed as some of these puzzles are pretty drat obtuse"
this is dissuading me a bit. Is it still feasible to play it like a normal game?