Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Thanks so much for posting that! Got my copy downloaded last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

I finally got around to trying the My Lovely Daughter demo that I've had since it launched. It lasted about an hour and really made my skin crawl. Didn't think I'd ever want to buy it and go through all that grinding and management for such a dark and creepy experience based around murdering magical-pseudo-children, so off I went and looked up some stuff about the plot and endings.

WOW. What a kick in the teeth that is for anyone who invested the time to see how that story unfolds. And the devs later added 2 new ones, looked those up as well...yeah, like I said, the whole experience, with a unique and horrific premise, will make your skin crawl and never let up. (Side note: most of the game "endings" aren't, you'll keep going back in to try to get to the ones that are, some of which erase your save file.) But if you actually commit to playing it and seeing where it all goes, you'll probably just get mad at the final revelations. That seems to be a recurring theme in the negative user reviews. A highlight:

quote:

And the absolute worst is that the message of this game is: everyone knows about the child slavery that's happening, but nobody cares. Nobody is going to stop it. And you, the player, should definitely exploit these children for your benefit (after all, it's the only way to progress in the game).

(Not sure if I'd say that's the "absolute worst" part to the whole thing...)

That said if you don't mind the time I'd say the demo is worth checking out to see a unique and twisted and VERY macabre premise get brought to life, but as it turns out it ends so badly in all ways that you probably don't want to buy it, let alone spend the time playing it. Content aside and without spoiling it, the true end not only doesn't make sense, it directly contradicts other aspects of the story. AND is a troll job in more ways than one. (All that plus it feels like a bit of a ripoff of the twist ending from (PS3 exclusive open-world game) Infamous but done far worse and more nonsensical.)

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

I really don't want to play this from the sound of things, is there a place where I can be spoiled on its crapitude?

I wound up having to resort to ye olde LPs on YouTube since the Steam guides section didn't go into much detail about what happens, and the wikias barely have any info in general. Since it's all told through text you won't miss anything putting the vids on mute. Same for the info for the memoirs - you play an amnesiac and regain your past memories as the game goes on - but there's no point (in multiple aspects) once you know/guess the twist AND it's all moot thanks to the raging vortex of a plothole the truth actually is. The Steam forums had screens of the new (just as dark-n-bitter) endings. There not too many threads so they're easy to find.

Also worth ranting about : the poo poo village for lovely exiled people that Faust and his family also got exiled to has zilch done with it for that aspect of the game setting/premise. All the other characters are only there to have 3 unlockable dialogue pages total and a picture in the book about their crappy (dark) biographies. Maybe it was supposed to be a lampshade to explain why they have no problem employing kids in the first place, I dunno. When I got to that part of the demo tutorial I thought maybe it was going to be like Pyre and you'll affect their destiny etc. but hell no. It's all more dark gritty paint with no depth.

Coolguye posted:

holy poo poo lol

play this in the background for maximum effect while reading this poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiHHj9qFhz4

Never heard that before, good choice!

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

But at least Lisa tries to go for it with the humor and insanity right from the start. The overall tone helps your reaction to it quite a lot.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

That looks like a game with a mystery where gameplay based around solving platforming puzzles while brutally dying in all sorts of dismembering manners, so I'm not quite sure why you say it's "not necessarily horror." It sure as hell seems like one!

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

The fact if you attempt to complete the tutorial with good-aligned choices gives you a game over (if I recall what I read a couple days ago correctly) is an immediate pass for me.

Yep. If you just sit there for a period of time and not click on the (literal) Sacrifice button, that triggers one of the two suicide endings because "Faust can't bring himself to destroy his creation." (And since your first is a tree girl, if you click you're treated to a drawing of him chopping her up with an axe. I think I forgot to mention that each girl type gets her own way of being murdered, complete with illustrations and scream sounds. Mummy get thrown in an electric chair, mermaid gets run through with her own trident, etc.)

Speaking of one of the six ways the game ends, I forgot to rant about another reason to hard pass (as if you needed it at this point): the second suicide one is triggered by not caring for your daughter's corpse and she rots away to the point of being unable to hold the soul. You have to avoid this throughout the demo and full game by buying preservation balm and raw meat at the town store. Then you go home, combine them, and it's made clear that...you're rubbing down her dead body with it.

(I'm cringing as hard as you are right now.)

I think Discendo Vox wasn't far off with the speculation about the gendered element being a massive warning sign and "it reads a lot like a fetish thing."

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Yay, it's (like) the Advent Calendar of the Damned!

Good thing horror is a popular genre that doesn't need a big budget/dev crew so you'll never run out of stuff to review annually, eh?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

So, one of the random profiles on the main Steam page today was this newly released game which I'd never heard of before and didn't get a "Now Available on Steam" blurb in the News section. The premise alone was intriguing enough that I added it to my "Following" queue right away, monochromatic Game Boy-esque colour pallette be damned. Also I figured that it should be posted in here because it seemed like it could be right up this thread's alley but didn't get around to it earlier. It turns out that IGN gave it a great review - and a key quote comes right at the start:

quote:

I’ve never played a game quite like Return of the Obra Dinn, but now that I have, all I want is more. This investigative story skillfully straddles the line between an adventure game, a puzzle game, and a gruesome, supernatural, Moby Dick-themed version of Guess Who.

Off my watch list, onto my wishlist. Maybe it'll be on yours too?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Denis Dyack debuts Deadhaus Sonata.

But you won't learn much from that teaser. If it weren't for the article sub-header I wouldn't even have known that it's supposed to have action-RPG style gameplay.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

1stGear posted:

This is the second time he's tried to make a game riding on the coattails of the one good game Silicon Knights made, isn't it?

Yeah, the last one was openly marketed as a "spiritual successor to ED" called Shadow of the Eternals. There was a thread about it and if I could still access archives I'd link it. Anyway: he put it up for Kickstarting to be released on the WiiU, but in the immediate aftermath of Too Human, the lawsuit they (he) filed and lost against Epic, which led to the recall-and-destroy court order for TH and X-Men Destiny you can guess how well THAT went...and then the other poo poo went down.

Seriously, if you like developing drama (pun intended), dig up that thread. It was an unintentional hoot reading it getting updated with the continuing curveballs that torpedoed the project. (The paedo scandal wasn't the only factor, but I recall it was the last one since that guy was also the co-creator of ED and SotE).

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

That's too cute to be horrific

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Improbable Lobster posted:

Lovecraft was loving terrified of just about everything outside of his house including
-All non whites
-All non protestants
-Wild animals including penguins, rats and other things that are not at all scary
-Foreign languages
-Foreign plants

He was an incredibly sheltered, racist bitch and most of his writing is genuinely terrible (unless you don't mind racial slurs appearing on literally every page)

And have you ever seen a photo of the guy? He even looks like a total sperglord who dwells in the basement.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

That really sucks, the concept was just great.

It sucks on another level because it reminds me of what was common with 90s summer blockbuster movies: a great concept gets wrecked because the focus was on merchandise and franchising instead of the script/actual experience. It's why the Marvel CU has been such a blessing: they focus on making each individual movie as good as it can be on its own, but sprinkle bits and pieces in they can exploit later; and even the lower-end of that franchise are still better as movies than some multimillion misfires (Thor 2 is a better experience than Wild Wild West or Emmerich's Godzilla).

Hello Neighbor, meanwhile, is somehow getting an action figure line from Todd MacFarlane long after release so clearly this is a strategy that has yet to peak!

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

The boat, especially the parts in the present where ammo and resources are very scarce, was THE part where I said to myself "This is going to be hellishly hard when I play on that Madhouse mode."

And then they had to go along and give us Ethan Must Die and holy crap is that one masochistic. At least with a Madhouse run you can have the unlocks!

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Did anyone else find that Not A Hero actually did a great job as an experience? Chris being armed up was both fun and didn't prevent certain parts from being intimidating and the expanded salt mines seemed to work better than they did in the main game.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Apparently Agony sold "well enough" for them to stay in business?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

They don’t think tits are scary, they just think women are things.

Yeah, when it got to the first twisted ghoul wearing a corset and thigh-highs - but no bra or panties - I thought that was...an odd choice to run with. When it got around to the SECOND time (complete with killing the protagonist) I thought "OK, these guys have issues with women."

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Are you using PSVR? I did RE7 that way all through, and let me tell you that aiming with your face makes everything so much more fun and easier for stuff like that. You might not have had any trouble with the fight at all.

Madhouse, on the other hand...I will never admit how many times I had to re-try the Mia fight until she went down. Massive hint for when you decide to do a Madhouse run: GET OUT OF THE ROOM and keep running in and out of the hallway and side room with the crates while stopping and popping.

And yes, the blocking mechanic will be a major key to your success. It wasn't just an "option" they threw in.

Agent Escalus fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 10, 2018

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Cardiovorax posted:

FNAF translated well enough to the tablet market, but since the series revolves more or less entirely around jump scares, I'm not sure it's the kind of horror people would be looking for in a sequel to Isolation.

Or even just in anything loosely associated with it, really. It's hard to convey the sense of being stalked in a dark, cramped space on something phone-sized that you're meant to play on the bus or whatever.

I played a couple of iOS horror games, including the Dead Space one, back when I was still buying mobile games (now I have way too many and can't afford the new devices so no new games), and it *can* work just as well as a PC/console, even on a phone, but much like a watching a great horror movie on a device it will depend a lot on your environment. You'll need a dark room, decent headphones/buds, few distractions, etc.

So while I was as surprised as anybody that A:I's follow-up is on mobile of all things, I also don't regard it as an abomination. Tablet screens these days are sufficiently large enough to replicate the experience of playing a AAA game on a laptop, and that can also be as legit as any other setup if done right. (I was surprised that when Mofi bluetooth controllers came out that mobile games didn't go for an even more premium experience than they already were with stuff like Rockstar's ports and other console titles getting ported, but I guess the sales numbers just weren't there.)

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

No, no, no.

A hidden object game.

Where you have to tap an icon when it flashes in order to hide from the xenomorph.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Len posted:

RE2 demo feels and looks great. Maybe if income taxes actually happen I'll pick up the full version.

Oh yeah. (I figured there'd be more posts about it by this time?) Just did the 30 minutes on PS4, now I'm gaming the system (zing!) and downloading the Steam edition to do it again, rush past the parts I know about, and maybe find the statue pieces. Or I'll watch the "demo done in 4 minutes" video IGN has headlined and give that a shot.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that they're keeping the RE7 interaction icons and interfaces for the menus. Plus the "tape over the gate control box" obstacle gimmick, which can only be resolved after you obtain a knife from a cop who's belting out orders to you.

Stick around for the trailer at the end, too. Well, the end of it, anyway.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

al-azad posted:

I don’t know how that’ll work out on the second floor, however.

I watched that 4 minute speedrun video and the player ascended the stairs fast enough that, upon turning around next to the slumped-over cop on the landing, it appeared that the zombie who comes down the next staircase did in fact break through an upper-level window. So maybe the zombies can climb the buildings? (I can buy that, in a primal-instinct context.)

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Oh hey, Layers of Fear 2 is a thing. Starring Tony Todd of Candyman fame, presumably as the protagonist - an actor in a film being made on a cruise ship out at sea.

Interesting premise and setting, for sure.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

I think Crabtree is more referring to surreal horror in a shifting perspective of reality, kind of like what The Evil Within did with some of the level transitions where things just completely change right in front of you (which also foreshadow what's really going on but I digress). LCC isn't incomprehensible horror at all, it's just very obtuse in multiple ways* AND much like Dark Souls you'll need to put all the plot details you encounter together yourself if you want to actually understand what's going on.

*It wouldn't be the first game where the low-pixel graphics make the label-less objects so chunky that you might have trouble figuring out what they are (that goes back to the Atari/Colecovision era), and what exactly you can or should do with them (that was a thing with graphic adventures), nor the first to have both real-time events firmly handcuffed to trial-and-error gameplay, with the 2nd "movie" throwing in randomized locations into the mix on top of it all. It does ALL of that, simultaneously, and then throws in some extra gameplay curveballs unique to each entry AND as said you'll have to piece the plots together all by yourself. That is, if you have the time and patience to do it because LCC is a very difficult game if you just sit down and play it.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Cardiovorax posted:

Haven't seen that video, but yeah, it was always kind of inexplicable to me how popular Layers of Fear apparently is. It's really barely even a game. Good-looking, certainly, but it doesn't really have a lot of substance. I'm really not sure that I'd want to play another few hours of that, just with different flavour text.

I didn't dislike it because it's better than your average horror movie, with some interactivity, and lasts longer. (I finally got around to playing Night Trap, first time ever, at the ripe old age of 36, and LoF has more interaction as a game than NT.) It ain't Soma but it does the trick akin to a theme park dark ride.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

s.i.r.e. posted:

Wait, Sinking City is Epic Exclusive? gently caress.

Just like The Outer Wilds, so no achievements, cards, wish lists, or other obvious features for you!

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Len posted:

Does not having those actually matter for a game? Because lol if not having pointless extra poo poo like cheevos is a deal breaker

Nah, but it's fun to pile on

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

All of that is exatly why there's the haunted house board games to be found in the closets; the devs were amused that so many people presumed Gone Home was a horror game based on screenshots and the teaser trailer that they couldn't resist poking fun.

Bert of the Forest posted:

Horror is a state of mind - I’m gonna stir the pot some more and say that, to 11 year old me, Myst was one of the scariest horror games. It’s just you and the uncanny emptiness of a strange world and its many contrived puzzle doors.

And a decapitated, decayed human head in a coffin-like box in one of the ages.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

I wasn't interested in the Blair Witch game....but now that it's out the reviews for it are pretty good, and it has replay value with endings; but like most who played Until Dawn I was also looking forward to Dark Pictures (1): Man of Medan, which seems like they course-corrected from The Inpatient and returned to form. So now the question is, if one's on a budget, which game comes first, and which gets wishlisted until the Halloween sales?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

al-azad posted:

Man of Medan is supposed to be an anthology I believe so it’ll probably get discounted with the next release in six months or whatever.

Yeah, plus I just can't 100% buy into the claim that they're going to be totally separate/independent games with zero threads connecting them; if that were the case, why bother with the Dark Pictures label at all, in favor of just putting out the games with their own titles?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

Summer of 58

Literally never heard of it until your post; I presume it's a better experience than most adventure/walkers? The Steam screenshots just give me ye olde Outlast vibes, but if there's legit unique stuff to it (and you're willing to stake your long-running posting pedigree on vouching for it), great! The write-up says its only 90 minutes to finish, though? But if those are great minutes...

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

I can’t speak to that (or the controversy in general), I was just suggesting the game because I thought it was neat. :shrug:

Well, you’ve got credibility in spades, so I’ll add it to the list!

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

If you haven't played Outer Wilds, YOU ARE MISSING OUT.

That said...if you have you know that aside from a few moments and parts (and the Dark Bramble), it's not an especially scary game.

The new Echoes of the Eye DLC, though? Pretty much all horror, apparently. From the sounds of the reviews its as if the devs decided that the scariest stuff they came up with should be cordoned off in its own sections, and optional at that. (To the point where the DLC includes an option to tone down the scariness.)

But, that's hearsay from me, being that I suck I still haven't finished the base game. (A lifelong habit with rather unique games because I don't want them to actually end since there might not be something else like them ever again so once it's done, it's done.)

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

I didn't know Layers of Fear had a special event built into it! Apparently they did it last year too, but I rarely check that section of the Steam news feed (no idea if this is on consoles as well)

quote:

Brave the Depths of the Mansion
Unlock the basement and commune with the spirits in Layers of Fear, now through 11/30.
"Come, little darlings
and hear the tale
of three curious children
Bobby, Sue, and Gale..."

Start a new game of Layers of Fear 10/29 through 11/30 and you may notice a new drawing in the entryway of the mansion. Follow the pages to uncover a story about three children who discover a sinister spirit board and learn to be careful what they wish for.

Should you follow the children and brave the depths of the Mansion this Halloween, you'll be able to enter a room that's been locked for a very good reason. In this room lies a spirit board, not unlike the one from the drawings.

If you are feeling particularly brave, you can use the planchette to try your hand at communing with the spirits. Depending on the message you send, you may uncover secrets beyond reason or summon a memory best forgotten.

Unsure of what message to send? Some tell tales of ghoulish apparitions and strange rooms.

Might be okay! (Just like the base game, am I right? :v: )

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Inspector Gesicht posted:

fizzle out with 'it was all a stupid kid's dream' ending?

Apparently that happened with...

DON'T loving DO THIS!!!!

If you didn't like it or how it ended, fine, but don't be an rear end and ruin it for someone else who spent their money and hasn't gotten to the end and wants the experience regardless of what YOU thought of it. You don't get to make that choice for anyone else.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Also, Slitterhead. From the creator of Silent Hill. One of those screens better give you vibes of The Thing or else your horror brain might need a re-calibration.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Basic Chunnel posted:

There's a fundamental dissonance when a comparatively well-funded, well-advertised indie makes games that are Fine when single-dev micro indies can make things that might not be enduring but are effective and at least momentarily surprising - like I remember that "one thousand dungeons" game or whatever it's called that actually manages to be startling and tense, and it's just you running down a single Wolfenstein 3D-rear end corridor while a guy who eats green ink follows you.

I've been racking my brain and can't for the life of me figure out what game BC is referring to but I certainly can't recall playing anything like that - anyone have any idea?

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

joylessdivision posted:

Kids today love that 80's synthwave aesthetic.....I guess?

I thought they were supposed to be superheroes

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

After the SNES Mortal Kombat fiasco, which inspired a lot of teens to buy Genesis units and write to game mags about it, plus getting angry letters directly from American parents about being a nanny company who was making their decisions for them, Nintendo openly declared mea culpa and went totally hands-off on their content restrictions. That only snowballed as the decades went on, what with Reggie personally appealing to Rockstar to put their stuff on Nintendo systems (which is 100% why GTA Chinatown Wars and Manhunt 2 got made for them) and the rise of digital storefronts being the ultimate democratization for consumers. These days I don't think there's very much aside from outright porn that they won't allow and even then, Sony has been discovered demanding ecchi games get some levels of editing to be on PSN while the Switch editions weren't.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

oldpainless posted:

RE8 is good but it definitely has its best parts up front and gets worse as it goes on.

The same could be said of 7 though, but at least that one didn't start sliding until the choice on the dock.

I avoided the LD memes because when there's media I actually want to indulge in I like to go in as "fresh" as possible, so that usually means avoiding trailers as well (unless they play at the start of a movie, that's a bit different) and I loved 7. I only started playing 8 recently; having just finished up the LD section, she was OK as an antagonist, but the daughters were as cookie-cutter and bland as evil characters could be, and LD's final form was RE6-levels of "overstuffed and overdone and not scary." Bloodborne is still the reigning champ of "it's scary to just look at it" monster design, and that's unfortunate considering this series gave us Lisa in REmake, who was as good a contender for that title as ANYTHING in Bloodborne (yeah, I said it). Hell, even Condemned had scarier regular enemies.

And for the life of me I can't fathom why LD went viral the way she did; the only thing I can think of is because she's rather unique as far as a monster concept goes? Is gigantism really that much of a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

Nope. And considering the scandals that followed SK and Denis Dyack after (especially with the “spiritual successor”) it’s unlikely to pop up again anytime soon.