Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Just finished Rachel Foster. Well that was tasteless.

Whoever did the environment and sound design should get a raise.

Whoever wrote the thing should get fired and sent packing to a gulag.

Completely agree. There was a lot to like about the game, but the ending and overall message was so incredibly terrible that it just ruined the whole thing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

sigher posted:

I remember playing it but don't remember much about it other than being in a boring hotel or something. Someone refresh my memory why it sucks?

It's been awhile since I played it so I can't give the full details, but it really mishandles and in some ways romanticizes both suicide and a sexual relationship between a father and his daughter's friend. Due to being told through the standard recordings, notes, etc it is one of those things where the sum of all that building over time really makes it feel gross. Then at the end the protagonist gets in a car in a garage to commit suicide and you have the choice of turning the key or not. the game heavily implies that turning the key would be the right choice or something like that. super hosed up.

I also recall there were some big twists at the end that basically came out of nowhere and felt like having a twist for having a twists sake.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Oh poo poo I was thinking about paying more than that for mortuary assistant alone

Same. I already had one game in the bundle and this thread had given me awesome recommendations, so free to anyone

Them and Us: 04JRR-9FN7Q-B3XMK

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Yeah, I've (thankfully) forgotten most of the plot, but I only remember the priest molestation, baby killing, and scythe "nun". Val was the leader of the ones trying to "save" the women so the end of the world would happen sooner, right? Based on the other writing I bet there was a note or "flavor text" somewhere that was some horrific stereotype or trope. I'd be interested to hear more.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

No one lives under the lighthouse is one I just completed that was fantastic at the dread aspect and I don't recall jump scares or at least not prevalent ones.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

Have any of you played I Did Not Buy This Ticket? It was released during LudoNarraCon - all I know about it is it's a "short, psychological horror experience" where you play a professional mourner, whose job is to go to the funerals of strangers and weep.

A bit back in discussion, but I spent awhile playing this in Xbox recently. It definitely nails down the weird, unsettling atmosphere quite well. Some of the art and imagery is very well done, but some felt a bit janky.

I felt like the story was sort of generic weird things that don't make sense occurring and not particularly interesting overall.

It has lots of different dialogue options that give branching paths and endings (and achievements), but after doing a few they mostly boil down to choose choice a and obvious result happens or choice b and obvious result happens. You can save at anytime, which makes it a bit easier to go back and see the results of different options (since most other parts play out similarly beforehand).

I guess my review sounds negative overall, but I enjoyed my few hours with it. It just isn't anything truly unique or memorable. Worth checking out of this style of game interests you.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

I liked the lighting effects in the game, it's not the worst thing to play through on lower difficulties. Definitely not horror and the combat is pretty shallow.

I wish someone could take the world/engine from this and put on better gameplay and story. Sort of the same feeling I had with Scorn as well...

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Speaking of did anyone play that Call of Cthulu game that came out a few years back? I got it ages ago in a bundle and haven't touched it yet. Kind of feeling a dingy moist horror game rn. The Sinking City was such a busted rear end game but I still enjoyed it.

It's not a terrible game, but it's kind of a standard 3rd person wandering around dark environments with occasional combat thrown in. I remember sort of enjoying my playthrough, but can't remember anything especially notable, aside from one of the endings that was cool.

I've been meaning to give sinking city a shot. Busted as in buggy, or just janky?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Morpheus posted:

Just watched a playthrough of a game called Reveil. A somewhat standard indie horror, it's definitely more than it appears, and is buoyed by some excellent visual design. Worth a watch, if nothing else.

It definitely has me intrigued, but I heard it was like 3 or 4 hours, which felt a bit short given the price and my backlog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

Any opinions on Decarnation? It's intriguing but the reviews I read seem mixed on how much they liked the minigames or story.

It's sort of a strange game, but in the end I enjoyed it and think that if you like horror games that it is worth playing. I don't think it was particularly long. I also didn't recall anything annoying or frustrating about it with mini games or story. It definitely didn't stick with me like an all timer or anything, but it was different and unique in interesting ways.