Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Giragast did a really great Cold Fear LP a few years back. Highly recommended, he digs into the game files, pulls out excised content, shows locations against their concept art, all sorts of good poo poo.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=axTrnp0y-m4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It started out scary (that village the first time through is initially creepy and then actually properly frightening when Dr Salvador shows up) and then gradually gets more and more ridiculous until you're firing a thousand magnum rounds into the giant mutated face of a midget castellan.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Kokoro Wish posted:

Your right hand comes off?

Also yeah, that invisible bug thing was pretty creepy the first time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Coolguye posted:

for a reboot to happen, there needs to be a first boot

imagine four boots on the edge of a cliff

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Edit: wrong thread!

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 27, 2016

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Siren's UK voice acting was hilariously bad. A genuinely creepy game that had me in fits of laughter at them seemingly using SCEE office staff to voice the characters.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

The voice acting actively makes that game much better, you're crazy.

I didn't say I didn't like it, I said it was bad voice acting. I liked it because at that time the worst you usually got was competent voice actors reading bad scripts, and this was people that didn't seem to be voice actors at all reading a competent script, which was just bizarre.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Danaru posted:

I still have no idea how we were supposed to solve, like, 90% of the puzzles in Out Of This World

Repeated trial and error, I think. I think when I played it it went something like:

Walk right, get too close to worm thing, die.
Walk left, monster thing jumps down from rocks, run away, get too close to worm, die.

And each subsequent attempt was just another iteration on that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Probably my favorite. There's another part where the very same Samson, God's chosen musclebro, uses his bare hands to bring down a building on a bunch of people who pissed him off.

I don't know why they hide all the really good poo poo in the Bible; they should lead with this stuff.

On kids TV here in the UK in the 80s/90s, Tony Robinson did a series all about the stories like this in the Bible. They were presented without any particular religious slant as well, so it was just fun murderous badass stories for kids.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

Was gonna say, Nothing But Trouble reboot looking good.

We haven't seen grampa Baker yet, he could have a dicknose.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yardbomb posted:

Said it before but I dunno, horror games are fine with some ability to fight back, but if you turn that into straight up "Fight your way out of all encounters all the time" then it just becomes yeah, an action game with spooky bits.

It's my example every time, but Dead Space to me messed up all ability to be spooky because they pretty much give you the best weapon right off the bat, so the rest of the game is strolling through the Ishimura severing limbs like paper mache.

Dead Space managed to still be spooky in the spacewalk sections, because of the great sound design, but yeah, it doesn't take long until you're just slicing limbs off left right and centre and stamping on every corpse you see.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Raxivace posted:

Anyone else pick up Friday the 13th? I got the PS4 version and while I've been having trouble connecting to matches when I do its a ton of fun.
If we ever get Deadly Premonition 2, I hope its done in the even more batshit style of Twin Peaks Season 3. :allears:

I won't lie, when the guy in the first episode said the room he worked in was paid for by an anonymous billionaire, I immediately thought of Harry Stewart

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bogart posted:

SGF is a goon, too. :v: His Deadly Premonition LP is one of the greats, imo.

And his Illbleed one. Man, that game.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

0 rows returned posted:

Perhaps Killerman is Killerman.

I mean, that's just dumb.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Danaru posted:

The Chzo Mythos is fascinating because the third game is fantastic, the fourth game is pretty drat good with a few "uhhhh" parts, but the second one

holy moley the second one

Second one is the spaceship one, right?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'm an hour or two into Until Dawn (still one of this month's free PSN games) and it's still setting up the actual horror part of the game. I'm enjoying it so far, because it feels like a classic slasher film set up complete with establishing exactly how horny each of these teens is. The facial animation is real deep in the uncanny valley though. Peter Stormare's weird facial tics look even weirder un CGI, and I really want him to stop pursing his lips.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It's the motion that's distressing more than the end result.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Marshal Radisic posted:

My favorite joke to come out of Until Dawn is the fan theory that no told Peter Stormare what emotions he should be portraying in any given scene, so he just decided to do all of them at once.

I'm a bit further in now but I'm pretty sure it's just Peter Stormare being Peter Stormare. His character seems to be intended to be generally and non specifically upsetting so it works.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Until Dawn update: man, it takes a while for the dying to start, but once you get to it it really goes for it. This is a good time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Untrustable posted:

Oxenfree is great just for the atmosphere. There's nothing outright horrifying in it but the story moves along at a good pace and there's no outright annoying puzzles. Also if you collect all the cards for it the backgrounds you can get are very cool.

I dunno, some of the "glitches" you get where time loops and people are saying weird poo poo you could call existential horror.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

gallilee posted:

I really dig the look of Observer. Not really scary but so far a pretty interesting story. The thing that really sucks is that Rutger Hauer is a really, REALLY lovely voice actor.

He was the voice of Ash in an Alien based audio drama not too long back. He was terrible in that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

speaking of giger it'd be cool if someone made a well designed first person game that was like dark seed. i say well designed because holy poo poo is the original impossible without having a walk through.

Yeah, between the stuff that you can miss if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time and the fact that even aside from that you can wind up in a dead end super easily, it's a real shitter to try and play that game these days. It's a good looking game though.

Blattdorf posted:

At the end you find a mirror and in its reflection you gaze upon true horror. You see Mike Dawson.

Well, that would explain everything.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't get it.

https://youtu.be/dxGJXsgB65A

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What other adventure games are as bonkers as dark seed 2 or harvester?

The Phantasmagoria games are pretty out there, I think.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'm pretty sure that if Lynch wanted to make a game the kickstarter would be filled in a matter of minutes. I don't think he'd get Star Citizen money but he'd get enough to make it happen.

Failing that he could release a Short Story branded kart racer where you're all on ride on mowers and use the funds to back the project he wants to make.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

Of course David Cage would animate himself grind-dancing with the woman wearing the tank top and panties. He has a very specific taste, it's always a woman with short brown hair and at some point in the game she'll be wearing a tank top and thong panties.

Nah not even close, he's more like the David DeCoteau of video game writers.

In quality yes, but man, look at how much stuff DeCoteau turns over every year. The man makes crap but he sure makes a lot of it!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I think the Suffering games came out recently on GoG, actually. Yeah, here:

https://www.gog.com/game/the_suffering

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

You can beat Monkey Island 2 by hitting Ctrl-W at any point. And you can finish any movie in just a couple of minutes by skipping to the last scene.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Life hacks: watch everything at 1.2x speed

Amateur. I set things running at 10x speed and then leave the house to do something else.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be some spiritual successor game from the creator?

Dennis Dyack did two kickstarters for it and both failed. Last news seems to be that he started another company three years ago to restart it, but that company's website doesn't seem to have had any updates about it since the initial announcement.

Edit: vvvv also that

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 20, 2017

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah, it was pretty great. I liked that roughly two thirds of the characters you controlled either died or went mad.

Edit: actually it's more like three quarters. Or maybe more.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 20, 2017

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Too Human was garbage and they failed to pay Epic for licensing the engine, so yeah, it was a bit of a clusterfuck.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Drunken Baker posted:

Is there a good, thorough LP of Eternal Darkness anywhere? I'd check to LP archive but I'm at work at the moment and the only one I remember was a kind of lighthearted, "let's all just have fun" kinda thread. (I *think* I drew fan art of a mad Maximilllian running around with his pants off for that too.)

I'd love to see a real in depth one that shows off the various paths and gods and everything though.

The one on lparchive seems ok, but it doesn't do all the gods, just the one that induces insanity. It's subtitle based and the subtitles don't seem too wacky or anything.

al-azad posted:

I'm pretty sure Too Human did well all things considered. What killed Silicon Knights was that X-Men game where you don't play as any of the iconic x-men. I can't imagine the licensing fees in a post Disney buyout.

That one also used the Unreal engine and as a result all the extant copies were destroyed and it was taken off the Xbox live store. It'd take a legal miracle to even get it to the point that Fox and Disney were able to argue about who has the rights to what.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

You really have to be stretching to pretend that scene isn't deliberately coded as an assault scene. You can blame the modelers and cutscene directors if you want but that is exactly what that scene is.

I agree, it definately FEELS like it's an attempted rape scene. To the point where it seems odd that if you fail the QTEs the dude straight up murders Lara.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah, even if you don't know Russian (as I don't) there's stuff in his tone that comes across. Plus everything al-azad just said.

I'm also prepared to concede that it might be I'm just so used to rape now being the standard way in fiction to raise the stakes, establish how evil the antagonist is and to create a purpose for the protagonist in the form of revenge.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Zetsubou-san posted:

it might not be iconic to you younglings but this moment certainly caused panic attacks in lil' zets

I am hammering the shield button

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

Last I saw one of the devs threw a fit over A:I "stealing" their look and they haven't updated in quite some time. I'm assuming it's dead at this point but I'd be overjoyed to be wrong.

Really? Wow, that's some pretty breathtaking arrogance. "They stole our look (which we borrowed heavily from 70s sci fi)!"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Edit: ^^^^^^^^^^ Wasn't that the use of Tony Hawk's name rather than the whole IP? Like, no one will be able to use the Dead Space IP even if EA don't use it for a decade.

Kulkasha posted:

Do game IPs run on the same copyright rules as movies, ie if you don't use the IP within a certain amount of time it reverts back to the original holder/ becomes public use?

Even if it does, you're talking a stupid amount of time before it does. It keeps getting longer and longer, notably any time that anything owned by Disney is about to enter the public domain.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Meallan posted:

If you guys like FMV horrors check out "The Infectious Madness Of Doctor Dekker" on steam. It's lovecraftian horror at it's hammiest. I enjoyed it a lot even if the text parser was just awful imo. It also doesn't close all it's narrative threads too, so if that stuff infuriates you, be careful.

I liked it a lot, though some of the FMV actors are a lot better than others. The ones that properly ham it up (like your... assistant? I guess she's an assistant) are great fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Imagine four teleported brains in tanks on the edge of a cliff. A fifth brain in a tank is in a junction switch box and can access a switch that will drop a trolley off the cliff onto another ten brains in tanks, two of which have extensive rap sheets. If the switch is not pulled, one of the four brains on the cliff will fall off the cliff, only to reregister under a different account name on a perfect simulation of a dead gay forum that is less dead and gay, and therefore not a perfect simulation, but don’t worry,

The brain in the switch box has never heard of identity problems, the ship of Theseus, the teleporter problem, brooms, or intuition pumps in general, and finds this post both confusing and intriguing.

But oh, no! These brains are through a contrivance the only brains in the world, and oh no, they’re dead, sort of! Imagine being dead. How horrific.

Like, if it’s a phobia of yours I can respect that it may be personally impactful, but it’s not a well-crafted narrative and it’s entirely rehashing a collection of very, very old questions in philosophy that have had everything wrung out of them for decades. Talos Principle actually had more interesting things to say.

Oh I know this one. The surgeon is the brain's mother.