Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

CuddleCryptid posted:

Sorry, the "Epic Launcher is fine" takes are outdated by a couple of hours, since Epic has apparently decided to water its garden by slashing its own throat. Because apparently that is how the world works now, you just ram your own poo poo into the ground.

To be fair, that's hardly unique in the tech world. There's layoffs a plenty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Whirling posted:

Alright horror games friends, what jank rear end ps2 horror game should I play for October? Beat Silent Hill 2 and 3, and now I am hungry for more

You've done 2 and 3, might as well move on to 4. The Room is IMO the scariest Silent Hill. Just the trailer still unnerves me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

New Humble Bundle for Horror games

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I bought this bundle basically for Bone Totem, but I already own two of the games.

Here's the keys for anyone who wants to grab them:

Alan Wake - 0GN29-8IYC7-YNQR4
Pathologic 2 - RY65B-MJ2L3-Q8ZDH

I grabbed Pathologic, thanks!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

I just finished the Dead Space remaster and it was really good. I liked that they changed some stuff but still left in the big whopping plot hole from the original game. Whatever. It's a horror game. Still my favorite horror game of all time and I'll probably replay it every year like I did with the original

I moved on to RE8. I also have RE7 and while I normally try to play series games in order, I decided to skip 7 and go right to 8 because I wanted to see what the deal was with the 9 foot tall vampire woman

And welp, I'm glad I skipped 7 because there's a recap video when you start a new game that summarizes what happened and then the whole game turns out to be for nothing because the wife you saved at the end gets immediately refrigerated. I love video game writers

Anyway as far as the game itself is concerned, it's such a departure from Dead Space and I have to admit that I got super spoiled by the"go this way" button that wandering around trying to figure out where to go in RE8 was annoying. The game eventually told me about the map screen but that only helps a little. It's not a big deal and exploration has always been part of RE games so I'll get used to it

The enemies are super hard to kill and that's also really annoying. I'm glad that it's not an easy game but it's also annoying that when you die you respawn way back at the last auto save and that sucks!

I'm going to push through it anyway because I'm intrigued by how the story was set up. Chris is a villain now? Why did the wife have to get fridged?

I'm not expecting a great explanation or story because it's RE but the exploration and combat are enjoyable enough that I'm having a good time so far despite all my complaints

You really should play RE7. All of this is explained and having played RE7 makes it more impactful, not to mention I personally think RE7 is the superior game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RE7 is the best in the series for a pure horror game. It's the only one that actually legit scared me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

girl dick energy posted:

Control is a horror game in the same way that Resident Evil 4 is a horror game. It's very good, whatever genre it is.

When you realize that Control is a pseudo sequel that takes place in the Alan Wakeverse it definitely becomes more horror like.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

weekly font posted:

I agree with all of this but weirdly its exactly why I love Control. Wading through corporate bureaucracy being as much of a nightmare as cosmic unknown entity invasion was like it was written specifically for me. I just wish Same Lake’s Steven King inspiration didn’t include not knowing how to end a story in a satisfying way.

I'm there with you, the bizarre corporate atmosphere in Control was amazing for me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

I literally only just found out a couple days ago that there was a season of Fargo currently airing, I'm trying to decide whether to jump in or wait until it's mostly/all out. I've heard good things about it, but I thought the series was dead after season 4 - I tried and failed to get into that one a couple times, it just felt extremely slow paced at the start compared to earlier seasons.

I recommend watching now. I think even more than other seasons this one benefits from week to week viewing. As much as I hate waiting and binging there is something to be said for the slow burn

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

No way Ethan's below the halfway point on the failboy scale. He's a good dad, and he's got the achievements to prove it!

I mean, if you want to get technical about it (RE8 spoilers) Ethan Prime was actually a pretty lovely dude. Lost his wife and then died shortly after finding her. Mold Ethan is a good daddy

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://x.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1744751802942099588?s=20

Alan Wake coming to Dead By Daylight.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/DomTheBombYT/status/1752852057386631422?s=20

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Diabetic posted:

I'll say this for Short Message, it was still better than almost everything released after 4.

I know I'm in the minority.

I haven't played it yet but I can't see anyone expecting much out of a free game. I'll take short and free over free with tons of MTX

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

pedrovay2003 posted:

What did you think of RE8 compared to RE7? I think I'm in the minority here, but I liked RE7 more. The Family was just such a memorable cast of characters for me (and the End of Zoe DLC was so much fun that I don't even have words to describe it).

RE7 was way better than 8 for me. 8 was too actiony, and 7 just nailed the atmosphere. I even didn't mind the ship.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Is Code Veronica not good? I never played it, but I always thought it was supposed to be great or something.

It was great when I played it for the first time a couple years ago!

.... With cheats. Game is brutally difficult and can lock you out if you run out of ammo.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Colonel posted:

it is weird to me how much re7 and 8 hold utter contempt for evelyn. why does the mold girl who was being emotionally manipulated by ethan's weird bioterrorist wife have to be pure evil but the girl who's half wesker gets to live in a nice house with her adoptive family

I mean, Evelyn was literally created as a bioweapon, it's not like she was a little girl who was somehow manipulated into being the big bad, she was created to kill.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

so was shadow the hedgehog but nobody calls him a bitch

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

Personally, my favorite aspect of RE7 is the loud warning klaxon going off the whole time you're on the ship

I actually like that, but I'm weird. I think it's because it gives me Silent Hill foghorn vibes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

pedrovay2003 posted:

I keep forgetting about the ship in RE7. I love that game, it's probably my favorite in the series now, but yeah, the ship wasn't great. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it just wasn't as fun as the other areas.

The one thing I'll give to 8 over 7 is that I think Ethan's personality was way better in 8, and by that I mean that he actually had one. There were times in 7 when I'd have been making GBS threads myself in his situation, and he didn't seem to give any sort of a crap. The way he acted and the emotion he showed in 8 was much better, in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure 7 was designed largely with VR in mind, and wanted you to feel more like "you" were the main character, which is why it was first person and Ethan had the personality of a wet paper towel.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think it was always doomed to be the hot trend of the week.

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much anything in that vein that isn't DBD is going to have to go up against the fact that DBD has 95% of the horror poo poo people want or thinly veiled knockoffs which makes it a lot harder to maintain an audience good or bad.

To be fair, the devs said up front that they weren't expecting it to compete with DBD and be a long lasting game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DLC Inc posted:

DBD having such a stranglehold is mystifying to me. The game plays and looks like dogshit while I thought Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead looked/played so much better. Even Friday the 13th I thought was a better take on that genre.

https://thedecisionlab.com/biases/the-sunk-cost-fallacy

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Family Video lasted longer than a ton of other places simply because they bought their buildings and didn't lease them in the prime rental days, so they didn't have the costs that Blockbuster and other places did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Humble Bundle has a horror bundle up.

Spring Screams Bundle

quote:

The horror will bloom
Spring is the new season for fright, and whether you prefer surviving single-player scares or tackling team-based terrors, this bundle is packed full of scream-inducing horrors to keep you up at night! In the critically acclaimed first-person horror game Amnesia: The Bunker, you’ll struggle to survive the relentless assaults of an ever-present monster in a cruel non-linear sandbox. Escape the Backrooms has you and friends exploring eerie liminal spaces teeming with disquieting dread and creepy hostile entities. My Friendly Neighborhood is an action-packed survival horror (with hints of comedy) that has you battling it out against a colorful cast of bloodthirsty puppets. Pay what you want for all these and more, and help support Lotus Outreach and BuildOn with your purchase!