Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I played SH2 long after the game had been discussed to death, so I don't really have the same love for it as others. On the other hand, I played SH3 not long after release, and it's somehow become my favourite of the series. I don't know how true that is for everyone, but I can imagine it being the case for a lot of people who have come to the game late.

I love SH3, it's definitely my favorite in the series, and I also came to the games late. The thing about SH3 is it looks incredible, even today, the art design and execution of that design is immaculate. The protagonist is really well realized, she's sympathetic and human and one of the best protagonists in any horror game. She's also a really great throwback to tough "last girl" protagonists in horror games, and weird violent pregnancy imagery associated with the game gives it a really unique feel. 1 and 2 are like spooky, abstract ghost stories, but SH3 has a real grungy, desperate, nasty feel to it that's pretty unique. Stuff like the wall distortions in the otherworld hospital and church are incredible, the game is just amazing to look at.

I think SH3 is also far and away the best playing Silent Hill game. It basically controls and feels like a 3D zelda game with fixed camera angles.

I just adore that game, searching youtube for clips fills me with nostalgia. "Some parts of this game may be considered violent or cruel."

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Is there a good LP of Five Nights that doesn't have a total retard mugging for a face cam? I tried to watch "Markiplier" and it was horrendous. I'm curious about how the game works but I don't want to buy it.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 20, 2014

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Or that scene in Alien where Ripley is literally scared by her dumb cat, thinking it's the alien.

I got jump-scared by a mundane scene transition in The Ring once, it was just a transition to a guy messing with the chained up door on a barn or something like that, but it was so loud in contrast to the previous scene, and I found the atmosphere so eery, I jumped. A jump-scare is literally just a scare that makes (or attempts to make) your physical body jerk in reaction. Literally just that. In practice, that's sudden anything, sudden noises, sudden images. They can be lame stuff like a big monster face appearing for no reason, or they can be a monster rushing in from off-screen, or a corpse suddenly jerking upright. The important thing is that it's sudden, because it's trying to trigger the startle physiological response. It's trying to make you "jump". There's no underlying implication of quality.

Bad jump scares have a GIANT loving FACE and LOUD loving NOISE because they're trying to make up for the fact that you aren't actually feeling anxious or scared before they happen. If you're sufficiently spooked, even small things can make you jump.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 21, 2014

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
The animatronic monsters represent black people actually

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Ghosts is so lame, and not even real. Animatronics is very real and very scary.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Silent Hill 3 is great. The graphics are seriously incredible for the PS2. Though dont play it on a hard puzzle mode, because those puzzles are loving brutal. I think the first one requires knowledge of Shakespeare for instance.

The option to be able to set separate combat and puzzle difficulties is a pretty great idea, though.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I seriously don't understand why people are so enamored by scarecams

They're children. The bulk of the audience for these "youtube personalities" are teenagers and pre-teens. Pewdiepie is basically a children's show entertainer. It's free, and vaguely risqué. They aren't bored of scare cams because they haven't been alive long enough to get bored of scare cams. They like stupid jokes and mugging for the camera because they're children.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The game lasted about 3 or 4 hours longer than it needed to. I thought the reactor and the hive would have made an excellent climax but then the game just keeps going on and on and you've got to do more and more busy work tasks, only for the game to end with a wet fart.

The last fake ending is particularly lame. I remember someone describing it as having three points where it could have ended, but that one is particularly extraneous. An alien literally just grabs you and carries you to a new level you have to escape, for no real reason. It's like they created that whole train dodging sequence before plot rewrites necessitated cutting it, and someone decided to just shove it in at the last minute, because it was too cool to cut, or something.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Kortel posted:

Or my favorite: does not show up at all and pulls you up a vent ignoring three humans two feet away from you.

That's telegraphed by slime dripping from the vent.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's really, really fun to die to some lovely-looking monsters, realize you've been set back about five minutes and then just run past them to the new area of Boo! Spooky Castle.

If you want to be a wet fart about it you can reduce any horror game with this schtick. Yeah, Dark Descent was really fun and scary. Machine was promising, but failed to deliver any novelty, had clumsy pacing, and I remember it also looking weirdly bad, three things that are really important to the genre. Lots of strange details, like levels constructed from too-obvious tilesets with repeating instances of the same painting within sight of one another, or really cheap Mod-looking bloodstains and gore. Fake-looking, overbearing fog effects. It seemed really amateurish and undercooked to me, at the time. I didn't actually finish it, though. That's my years-old memory of it.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 22, 2015

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Faffel posted:

Personally, I've always found something inherently creepy about single player first person games. It took me well into my late teens to get past it and horror games really touch on that for me.

IMO it's the lack of peripheral vision or general sensory awareness. Old games were especially bad about this since sound was so sparse: a monster could easily just sneak up on you and then hit you from behind without making any noise until the loud Doom Guy grunt and screen flashing red.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Sharzak posted:

How come people hate homecoming so much? That's the one that brought me back to the series and I remember it being pretty alright until I went online and read that it was bad.

I really disliked the aesthetics - there was a shift from the offputting weirdness of 1-4 to a kind of more pedestrian horror vibe. It stole all the good visuals and ideas from the other games and the movie. I don't remember it being a particularly good game, either.

It seemed kind of like a cheap, tacky imitation imo.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I really loved the PS3 Siren, I thought it was a really cool game and the approach of constantly switching between characters/narratives was great. It was a really beautiful game too, some really unsettling and weird moments. The monster design is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Kokoro Wish posted:

I really enjoy DS1 alot more than DS2 personally. It has a much better sense of atmosphere and location.

I agree, the DS1 ship is a really beautiful, fully realized environment, with a great map system to let you navigate it. The space-walk sections were a really inspired idea, too. I loved DS1.