Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Drunken Baker posted:

How are the horror elements in Stellaris? Saw there were some crazy cosmic horror scenarios and I used to enjoy playing Civ4. Half tempted to give it a go... but only if the random horror bits are decent.

I love Stellaris but i really wouldn’t get it for the horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Bogart posted:

It’s tense and immersion building when it works, but the second you lose two hours to some bullshit because you didn’t have any ink ribbons, is when you turn the game off and go back to Civ 5 which would never betray you like that.

So this is why I refunded Yuppie Psycho. I hadn't saved after that awful owl/bookshelf boss and rather than bothering to do that poo poo again I quit the game and refunded it. No regrets.

I can understand save points, but restrictive save points as well as having to find items to activate them too is just too much.

ION playing A Plague Tale: Innocence which only came on my radar a couple of days ago, and I'm really enjoying it. It's not horror enough for my liking, but it's a solid third-person adventure game.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Len posted:

I feel like I played a demo of this in the past and it was different

The previous one was 3 different scenarios, so you probably did.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

I enjoyed the F.E.A.R. games but it seemed weird to me that they were working on both that and Condemned at the same time, and imo both of them would have worked better if they swapped themes or gameplay. The horror in F.E.A.R. didn't work as well for me when you were sliding around like a loving badboy shooting fellas up, and the atmosphere and creepiness of Condemned could have benefitted with more supernatural horror rather than just hobofighting with the weird ending.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Bogart posted:

Amnesia’s baddies are scary until you die to them and then they’re nothing.

it's worse that I got in the habit of dying on purpose because that guaranteed that they would either spawn far away, or not spawn for a while, I can't remember the exact behaviour, but it became really exploitable

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't know that I agree Condemned would've been better off with FEAR gameplay. The first game in particular has a sense of gritty brutality to it that really works to build tension.

I think it's more that I think F.E.A.R. suffered from having conflicting gameplay and story, you felt too powerful for it to be a horror game, at least in my eyes. Condemned, while a pretty good game as it is, but I thought could benefit from more supernatural poo poo.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Section Z posted:

I remember it is called Scorn, but I'm ignorant of what recent updates (If any) are going on with it beyond "Uh, we're probably not releasing this year, sorry" unless there have been sudden improvements not listed on their kickstarter's front page.

There was an update fairly recently saying that making art assets is taking forever or something but they wanna get it right. I enjoyed the alpha so kinda just waiting for it now.

As for succubus, reported the video for sexual content because lol gently caress those edge lords.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

0 rows returned posted:

The Carrion demo just got released, its extremely good.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1181730/CARRION_Sneak_Peek/ rather than having to bother go find it yourselves

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

As always it's a high point of this thread, Too Shy Guy.

Also picked up Apsulov because of your posts and having a ruddy good time with it.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Oh boy apparently there's a sequel to Lust for Darkness coming out!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1035120/Lust_from_Beyond/

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Len posted:

Get a month of PlayStation Now and play it on PC? Unless they cycle games off the service it's on there

It still shows on the list so should still be there!

Also cheers for the heads up on this, I've got a few people who I've gone on about Bloodborne to in the past who I can now convince to play it without a PS4.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

GTFO's a co-op stealth/shooter game by a bunch of former staff from overkill software who jumped ship early on when they realized the CEO was running the company into the dirt. Overkill had a rocky history, but current word on GTFO is it's very, very good, hitting a gameplay loop structure that past co-op stealth/horror games have only sort of gestured at.

Rough plot: The players are strapped into machines and sent down into a horrifying maze of technology called "the complex" on missions at the behest of a mysterious "warden". Standout features include a lot of ongoing support promises, really nice graphics, some quite impressive randomization factors, and some really deep puzzle/planning elements.

Though it's a multiplayer game without any matchmaking at present, so that's not a great start to be honest.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Mindblast posted:

Its fine for a game where it is best if you group with people you know. Not that having mm would be wrong tho!

It will have it, it’s on the list of future features, but as someone without a group of people to play with, the game is unplayable, so refunded it and went back for another play through of REmake 2.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there a way to get rid of curses? Being stuck with Suicidal and Brain Damage really sucks.

Kind of broke the difficulty of this run over my knee though when I got a Katana from the first event which just trivializes combat.

First run a success. Fun game

Medical issues can be sorted at the hospital for a price. Also, I got the Katana which trivialised combat until I thought I couldn't attack a monster with it (it kept saying I couldn't reach) so i threw it at the monster. Turns out that even when it says you can't reach, you kind of can reach and that basically hosed my run up. :(

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

sigher posted:

I've been waiting since the KS for this, I can't get enough of the visuals which they've knocked out of the god drat park, god it looks so good.

The gameplay will probably be terrible though, lol

The playable alpha was decent enough to play at least.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

al-azad posted:

Scorn isn’t licensed Giger, it’s just blatantly Giger-esque with some Cronenberg flesh monsters thrown in.

Scorn has always seemed more Beksinski influenced rather than Giger though.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

uuuugggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

Also I'm very glad that Kravin's carried on despite some hard times he's talked about recently. :unsmith:

It’s his job though and it’s not like he has a choice. As with him and John Wolfe there’s been some harsh poo poo people have had happen and being a public figure must suck having to put on a brave face and make dumb video game content. I know John said it was good to go back and have some routine but he’s also said he hates all this horror poo poo he has to play.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

I really enjoyed obscure. It basically comes across as something like The Faculty or Buffy the survival horror games.

Also I am enjoying the hell out of Observation right now. It’s so well put together and the aesthetic and atmosphere is so loving good.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

After playing Observation, I'm really looking for some more sci-fi horror games to play like that. A more grounded in reality thriller; No jump scares sorta like Observation is. I'm really struggling to think of much else that could fit the description. More walking simulation-y and investigation rather than twitchy combat focussed.

I've played Alien: Isolation, SOMA, Prey, SS1-2 but I can't really think of many more that could fill this gap.

Oh Routine, where are you?

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

al-azad posted:

There’s a good, free indie horror game called Stowaway that’s more or less Alien and can be finished in half the runtime. Has a dither heavy pixelated look like Obra Dinn which works well to conceal the simplistic graphics.

Nice one, will give it a shot.

https://dirigogames.itch.io/stowaway for anyone else.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a bit different, but 7 Days a Skeptic is set on a spaceship and has some good spooks. The whole Chzo series of games is worth playing, really.

STASIS also fits the bill. Kind of an underappreciated game; the story is not anything special but it's got such a great look.

I did play Yahtzee's games back in the day and did enjoy them back then, but it's not really what I'm after.

I remember playing Stasis also back when it was released and I'm unsure why but it didn't hit the right notes for me. I can't remember if it was something dumb like the pathfinding was terrible or something like that but it kinda just ruined the mood of it.

Edit: Still do have STASIS, didn't refund it or anything so gonna give it another crack. :)

Piss Witch fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 3, 2020

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

What Layers of Fear is good at is being a very solid spooky dark ride from your nearest carnival/amusement park

Obligatory

https://youtu.be/B0fm2lRrEg0

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

https://www.ign.com/videos/observer-system-redux-exclusive-gameplay-demo-and-developer-walkthrough

New footage of Observer: System Redux from that IGN thing today. Basically a remaster with some new content thrown in.

Edit: Also yeah I've not seen or played many of the horror games in that bundle, but try out The Space Between, the Stowaway, Tamashii, Paranoihell, and Babysitter Bloodbath.

Location Withheld and The Supper too.

Piss Witch fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 11, 2020

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

A remake instead of an actual sequel is an incredibly weird choice. Although, I guess that might be due to the fact that they aren't going to be able to get Rutger Hauer back since he's dead.

Yeah, though the additional content they speak of might not be as Dan, or they get some impersonator or something. Who knows!

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Bogart posted:

Imo, if Ethan was really cured, his arm should’ve fallen off again. :colbert:

Well his hand does appear to be off in a part of the trailer, so maybe he is!

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Scratches was pretty good, so I am cautiously looking forward to this. I am really, really sick of the whole Abandoned Mental Asylum setting as well, though, so it better be a very, very good game.

Yeah this demonisation of mental health issues is really loving tired at this point.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Also have started trying out the demo of Asylum but yeah not feeling this game at all. The retro aesthetic of the titles and intro doesn’t match the gameplay, UI or visuals at all, (like something like Alien Isolation, Observation, Stories Untold, stuff like that) the dialog is awful and the main menu basically says “hey you got schizophrenia”. I haven’t obviously played the game through but if it doesn’t turn out that you’re responsible for everyone being dead and this is all a hallucination I will eat my fruit hat.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That's part of the reason I'm interested in knowing the exact nature of the transphobia in Deadly Premonition 2. The missing was a big step forward from Deadly Premonition, I want to know how much of a step backwards from that Deadly Premonition 2 is so I can brace myself emotionally (like, is it a tiny stumble or a full on slipping on a banana peel backslide?)

From this review https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/deadly-premonition-2-a-blessing-in-disguise

quote:

That isn’t to say the central story doesn’t fumble, since it certainly does. One particular arc surrounding a transgender character is downright offensive, despite seemingly being approached with a progressive state of mind. The woman in question is a villain in the grand scheme of things, and despite some understanding from the player character, she’s subsequently misgendered, deadnamed and ripped of any validation in favour of a tragic conclusion. It left a bad taste in mouth, and a perfect example of how such identities shouldn’t be handled.

Given apparently it has this, an inexplicably inverted y axis and it runs like poo poo I’ll be giving it a pass.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Humble Store has a horror sale on right now https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/humble-horror-sale/

Bunch'a good prices for games folks here probably already have, but like half off RE3 is still a good deal.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

That’s loving great. Now if they fix the horrendous frame rate issues I’ll be definitely grabbing it now.

Edit: also you cannot possibly ever pay me enough to read the comments on that tweet. I know gamers are awful transphobic trash, I don’t need more reminders.

Piss Witch fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 14, 2020

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

From a while back, but this was an incredibly fascinating watch. Thanks!

Also the guy who made this video was hired as AI consultant on Deathground ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jawdropgames/deathground ) saying it's a kind of Alien: Isolation kind of dinosaur survival horror game.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What do people ITT think of Alien: Isolation? To me, it seems like the ultimate predator vs prey simulation. I also really loved the Alien/Aliens movies, so I figure it should be a must-buy for me whenever I get the chance.

My only complaint is that it overstays it’s welcome. But I absolutely adore the aesthetic and the nice satisfying retro UI.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

sigher posted:

But Blazing Saddles is great?

How is the studio still making games, and how the hell are people still getting upset with them?

Because gamers will still slurp up utter poo poo like Agony just because it "triggers" the "SJWs," not because it's any good.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

sigher posted:

Why do you care what people play or why they play it? The people complaining about Agony pretending it's not offensive yet still seething at the teeth about it are just as annoying as those who play it to own the libs or hell, maybe they actually like the game. As someone who loved the art I couldn't even finish it because of how bad and boring it was, but playing through it was better than people screaming about how it had to be censored or people who put the word edgy in quotes playing it off like it doesn't get to them.

I mean I don’t care what people play if they’re out to just play a game and have fun. There’s folks out there who are ready to fling themselves onto aggressively mediocre games like Hatred or Agony just because it apparently riles people up. It’s not about the game at all, it’s about trying to piss people off, and that’s what I have a problem with.

Also who were the people calling to censor Agony other than retailers? Like I played it and posted my thoughts in this thread way back, and my opinion was that it was trying so hard to be gross in every way that it just became mundane really quickly.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

unpacked robinhood posted:

You're making your life less enjoyable for no reason, on top of reacting exactly how those people expect you to.

Eh. In the case of agony I just see those folks as kind of pathetic it’s not like I’m going out of my way to do anything other than posting on a dead forum saying those folks are lovely people. Also this thread of discussion came from the question of how they are financially capable of making further games considering how poorly the first one did critically. Like this is literally discussing why they made the money they did and it’s because of weird anti-sjw edgy losers throwing money at a poor game because it angers people.

But supporting Hatred financially supports Nazi pieces of poo poo like “Herr Warcrimer” who wrote that lovely game and I don’t see it as wasting time to make a point of trying to make people not support literal neo-Nazis. :shobon:

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Also throwing Gab Smolders into the ring of youtubers worth watching along with those folks have already mentioned.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

I feel he may be a little too harshly critical

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

I don't think the protagonists of any of the Project Zero/Fatal Frame games have done anything wrong either, have they?

Breaking and entering is a crime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Len posted:

Is my ps4 still worth an absurd amount of money because it has PT?

Doubt it. There’s still ways to download it right now.