Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Deadpool posted:

I'm going to take it way back and say Armageddon 2001. Man I cannot ever remember being so disappointed in the ending of an event. And I think it's even worse considering how young I was then and the fact that I liked pretty much any garbage comic I could get my hands on at that age. I remember getting the reveal issue very vividly and I was just so mad it was loving Hawk of all people. Of course years later I found out why it was Hawk but that made it even stupider in my mind. I know it's not a major event or anything but it sticks out for me because it was really the first time comic books had disappointed me.

I mean, Hawk? Really?

I actually liked the summer Annual events DC had right then. Armageddon 2001 and the Eclipso thing were a fun way to give everyone a framework for the character's story in the annual. Yeah, the payoff at the end sucked for both of them, but we got fun stuff out of the annuals. Then they did that Bloodlines poo poo and the only good thing to come out of that was Hitman.

Rirse posted:

Definitely say Civil War is the worst. The idea for the event is great on paper, but all it did was make everyone come off as jerks and ruined Iron Man for a few years.

The big problem with Civil War is that it forces the reader to step outside of the comic book book universe and look at things from an external perspective. The only reasonable conclusion to draw is, "Yeah, why isn't someone doing anything about vigilantes wandering the streets and beating people half to death with no consequences to their actions?" So in response the pro-registration side became absurdly evil.

I can't say for certain what the worst event book is, but it has to be one of the various mutant book crossovers from the nineties after Claremont left. Even before Claremont left they were getting pretty lovely. After he left, the books became completely incoherent and the crossovers even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

I feel like I'm in the minority for really liking Infinite Crisis. The build up was great and it seemed to have the right blend of epic, universe shaking events with small scale personal issues and development.

The thing about Infinite Crisis for me is that it's a good example of what tends to go wrong with big event comics. You've got a terrific build up, a good kick off for the series, and then somewhere around the halfway point it breaks down for the sake of giant fight scenes and a resolution that doesn't make a lot of sense. It's a pattern you see repeated over and over again. Event comics tend to have interesting ideas to set them up and then poor execution to wrap them up.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I've not read it, but I've read about it. It's meant to have killed Valiant as a company.

There's a story that Liefeld fell so far behind with the pages he was meant to contribute that they didn't get done until Bob Layton (then editor-in-chief for Valiant) went round to his house and refused to leave until they were finished.

It didn't kill Valiant, but it did hit right at the moment when the house of cards collapsed. And yeah, the Image side of the crossover was absurdly late. Like eight months late. On the other hand, Image did eventually complete their incredibly lovely, incredibly incomprehensible work. I guess that makes Image United and even worse event. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Psychlone posted:

I kinda liked Infinity War. The Spider-Man doppleganger stuck around for a while, if I remember right. Plus it brought most of the Infinity Watch back into the Marvel Universe. Infinity Crusade was totally pointless.

Infinity War is a perfect example of how to set up a fun event and then completely blow it. "There's this evil dude, and he's sending out warped versions of heroes to try to replace them." If that had been all there was to the story... well, it still wouldn't have been good, but that was the hook that mattered and was interesting. Everyone could do their tie-in their own way and move on with things. Then they kept piling on pointless crap as things made less and less sense until finally they wrapped it up with a resolution that didn't matter.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Ha, I completely forgot about the part where Doomsday hits Supergirl so hard she turns into silly putty.

That version of Supergirl was a shapeshifting, telekinetic blob so that kind of thing happened to her from time to time.

All events have this kind of problem, of course, since someone is always in the middle of playing with the status quo. Someday someone is going to read Our Worlds At War and wonder why Lex Luthor is the president.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kalli posted:

That tickles my memory a bit, but early 90's, wasn't there a similar event with Marvel annuals? Where each one introduced a new character and I think the x-men one was the X-cutioner who was using one of I think Reaper's Scythes and a bunch of other random villain weapons. Did any of those characters survive or anything?

Marvel did a similar thing with a new character in every annual that year, but unlike DC it wasn't an event where there was a storyline connecting all of them.

I remember the Doctor Strange one was intended to be a new apprentice but Roy Thomas left the book a few months later and the guy vanished. I can't think of any other series actually using the characters created in those annuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Parlett316 posted:

Marvel's edgy 90's book was X-Force

All the books in 90's Marvel were tripping over themselves to prove how edgy they were.

• Locked thread