Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

The war on bugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
what kind? this is important

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Me and my sister spent an entire afternoon as kids with a baseball bat and a flyswatter searching our house up and down for earwigs to kill.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

GelatinSkeleton posted:

The war on bugs

The war on bugs

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

Wicker Man posted:

Me and my sister spent an entire afternoon as kids with a baseball bat and a flyswatter searching our house up and down for earwigs to kill.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

gateway bugs

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I have a hundred bug bites right now.

I did nothing to these bugs, and they attacked me.

Bit me. Drank my loving blood.

It's time we fought back.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!

i'm not entirely sure what that is, but here's a picture of grasshopper tacos for you

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

i'm not entirely sure what that is, but here's a picture of grasshopper tacos for you

I'd eat this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Bees are dying off and once they are gone I will no longer be able to get that all-natural high from forcing them to sting my dick.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

Bees are dying off and once they are gone I will no longer be able to get that all-natural high from forcing them to sting my dick.

hosed up if true

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
in some third world coutries they eat bugs for food....smdh

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Let's game plan this: If we were able to kill all bugs say as big as a small beetle, what are the consequences? All the fish die? Birds die? Lets see some projections.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

what the round thick paper thing

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

in an effort to keep insects on the run i have taken up bugchasing in my neighborhood in my spare time

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Can ants and bees be exempt from this? They're my bug bros.

Everything else can burn though.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TheDon01 posted:

Can ants and bees be exempt from this? They're my bug bros.

Everything else can burn though.

Bees, sure. But loving ants? You kidding me?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'd be down with waging a war against all the palmetto bugs in Florida but we would probably lose

only good thing about them is they're a roach species that don't like to live in houses

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

I've killed bugs before, and I'll kill them again

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

Corey Plumper posted:

I've killed bugs before, and I'll kill them again

mods???

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

death to all mosquitoes and I'm willing to make peace with spiders to make this possible

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

what about bats

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

bats eat bugs so that would be counter productive to the war on bugs

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

what about bats

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

bigot

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

i've got a spider living in my drivers side mirror and I tear down his web every time i get into my car, one day i'm going to take a hose to it and flush him out :twisted:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I think one of the things about climate change is that in many places, it isn't going to be the gigantic tornado or the ocean waves that will get people, it will be the little things.

I live in a place that typically has had frosty nights into May, but that has been moving back in recent years. And that leads to bugs. Lots and lots of them, swarming around. When the last frost occurs on May 10th instead of April 25th, that means bugs have 15 fewer days to reach a fever pitch of buzzing and crawling.

So you know what we need to do in the war on bugs? Take action on climate change.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

I think one of the things about climate change is that in many places, it isn't going to be the gigantic tornado or the ocean waves that will get people, it will be the little things.

I live in a place that typically has had frosty nights into May, but that has been moving back in recent years. And that leads to bugs. Lots and lots of them, swarming around. When the last frost occurs on May 10th instead of April 25th, that means bugs have 15 fewer days to reach a fever pitch of buzzing and crawling.

So you know what we need to do in the war on bugs? Take action on climate change.

gently caress that. We need to develop some super high tech pesticide that kills every single one of the bad bugs while not harming the bugs we deem "cool". Or any other side effects I doubt though there'd be any.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Mustang posted:

I'd be down with waging a war against all the palmetto bugs in Florida but we would probably lose

only good thing about them is they're a roach species that don't like to live in houses

are palmetto bugs those huge rear end roaches? if so we get them in GA to and I hate them

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

yeah, and when alarmed they can eject a foul smelling secretion several feet and they can sort of fly a bit, they're disgusting

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Mustang posted:

yeah, and when alarmed they can eject a foul smelling secretion several feet and they can sort of fly a bit, they're disgusting

gently caress those things. I killed one earlier. I would say that was the inspiration for this thread, but honestly I'm kind of drunk and "the war on bugs" just sounded hilarious to me.

obliviums
Oct 2, 2013

The only exercise I get is poopin'

Do you fat-shaming try-hards really know how good ice cream is?

yum I'm required by my morality(or moreality, like crack) to say that would be great to eat and bring all the insect dishes you can catch or trap or least appealingly shoot. It's a changing world guys you gotta play it cool with insect food now.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

obliviums posted:

yum I'm required by my morality(or moreality, like crack) to say that would be great to eat and bring all the insect dishes you can catch or trap or least appealingly shoot. It's a changing world guys you gotta play it cool with insect food now.

i'm not sure what it is you're getting at but it actually looked like it migh taste decent?

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

This is good. If we can eat a thing we can defeat a thing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

This is our list, comrades. Do not question, but go out and make it happen. KILL THESE BUGS

1. Ticks
2. Mosquitoes
3. All flies

How would the world be harmed by their passing? Wouldn't in fact the millions of mammals who would live instead make it entirely worth it?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
After reading through all this thread, I would like to know more.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
The Lord in His wisdom made the fly and then forgot to tell us why. -- Some poet

If we kill all the bugs spiders will just eat us. The one that is statistically eight feet or less away from you is pretty hungry.

FADEtoBLACK
Jan 26, 2007
Is this going to be a stand up fight sir, or another bug hunt?

TED BUNNDY
May 30, 2009

SO HUNGRY
Pork Pro
fireflies seem pretty cool, they light up and poo poo

also i loving despise gnats but hummingbirds eat them and hummingbirds are my fuckin bros

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
There's some project about genociding all of the mosquitoes, because they suck, the ultimate swatting if u will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

TED BUNNDY posted:

fireflies seem pretty cool, they light up and poo poo

also i loving despise gnats but hummingbirds eat them and hummingbirds are my fuckin bros

If you smash a firefly the juice glows

• Locked thread