Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Barakamon is an anime adaptation of a comedy slice of life manga written by Satsuki Yoshino. The manga has been running since 2009 and is currently up to its 8th volume. The story follows a young calligrapher who is sent to the remote Gotō Islands after punching the elderly director of an exhibit hall. In the summer season thread Zorak compares the show to Yotsuba& and the comparison couldn't be more apt. It might be a little early for a thread for this show as we're only one episode in, but I was immediately hooked and am currently debating picking up the manga.

Seishū Handa - our protagonist who most of the island locals refer to simply as Sensei. He is a skilled calligrapher who has gained some recognition for his abilities. Despite this however his critics point out that his calligraphy looks like it came straight from a copybook.

Naru - Referred to by the Mayor as 'The Village Scamp', we don't know a great deal about her yet, but it seems she'll be the driving force for much of the show's humor.

This show is going to have a lot of side characters, all of whom show up briefly in the first episode, thankfully I've found this helpful image from the manga.

Omake:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

The manga is pretty funny and laid back. It's a solid read, but didn't really leave a huge impression on me.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

That's adorable

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Naru is the star of the first episode. :3:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
This is a fun show. I spent the whole spring season wanting a nice feel good comedy and it feels so refreshing to finally have one.

Also, Naru is apparently voiced by an actual 7 year old, which is neat.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I thought her voice sounded pretty different from the usual voice actress going super-high.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
IIRC all the child characters have child VAs in this.

Anyway, the first episode was delightful and I rather like the protagonist. He has an actual personality and isn't bland at all. It was great seeing him writing that giant "FUN" character while laughing like a madman. :haw:

His dad is right though, he really needs to deal with his anger issues.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Anyway, the first episode was delightful and I rather like the protagonist. He has an actual personality and isn't bland at all. It was great seeing him writing that giant "FUN" character while laughing like a madman. :haw:

His dad is right though, he really needs to deal with his anger issues.
I think that's what makes him truly interesting, though. He has actual, somewhat realistic anger issues, rather than "anger issues" distilled down in the most over the top and anime way possible, which is pretty common.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
To be honest I really don't give a poo poo about the protag and his issues and any scene where he ponders his problems is a short distraction from some actually really great cute antics.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Kibibit posted:

I think that's what makes him truly interesting, though. He has actual, somewhat realistic anger issues, rather than "anger issues" distilled down in the most over the top and anime way possible, which is pretty common.

I'm not saying that his anger issues are a bad thing from a character construction standpoint, I agree that it's part of what makes him interesting. I'm just saying that you can't make your way through life punching 60 year old art critics because they were rude and insulting to your work, or for that matter chucking little kids into the ocean because they said something rude.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Man that accent, I could only really get a gist of what they were saying most of the time. Overall the show seems really charming and fun but I really hope I manage to get used to that accent.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
The best accent. Naru voice is adorable.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Well, now that you've piqued my interest, how do I go about watching this?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

BambooEarpick posted:

Well, now that you've piqued my interest, how do I go about watching this?

Crunchyroll. Currently the first episode is subscribers-only, but it'll become free to watch in a week or so.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also, Crunchyroll only has the show available in non-english speaking countries. There's no legal method to watch it in the states yet.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Funimation will have it in the US at some point, but they don't seem to be planning on simulcasting it. Or if they are they're behind the ball.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Sindai posted:

I thought her voice sounded pretty different from the usual voice actress going super-high.

Yeah, I noticed that too...

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That makes sense and it's extremely noticeable. It's a huge highpoint of this show so far and it goes a really long way towards making Naru's character work and be adorable.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

And it is amazingly adorable. For me, this is already better than Usagi Drop.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm kinda waiting around for Funi to hopefully push this over to Hulu so I expect to be perpetually behind, but that's OK because I've been reading the manga for a while so I don't have to fear spoilers at least. This was the show I was looking forward to the most this season so I'm kinda bummed about Funimation dragging their feet about streaming it.

Roflfox
Jan 29, 2008

Your one and only, scorching laser light
Holy gently caress this is going to be the most heartwarming thing since Usagi Drop isn't it? I couldn't help myself, I made a thing:

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

Roflfox posted:

Holy gently caress this is going to be the most heartwarming thing since Usagi Drop isn't it? I couldn't help myself, I made a thing:

For me the most diabetes inducing bit of animation is when Naru tries to remember/guess Handa's name.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This show isn't the Mortal Kombat-Digimon crossover that the title promised me it would be. I'm very disappointed.

Seriously, though, this show looks like it's going to be endearingly cute and funny in that way anime does so well.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Kibibit posted:

For me the most diabetes inducing bit of animation is when Naru tries to remember/guess Handa's name.

Is this what you were talking about?

Here is another of Naru being indignant.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh cool, I had actually read a couple of chapters of this a long while back and couldn't remember the name. Now I can actually read more at last (or watch I guess).

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

Also, Crunchyroll only has the show available in non-english speaking countries. There's no legal method to watch it in the states yet.

Aww, boo. This looks cute and I think my wife would love it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

korrandark posted:

Is this what you were talking about?

:3: My heart grew about 3 sizes just looking at it... so cute.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm not saying that his anger issues are a bad thing from a character construction standpoint, I agree that it's part of what makes him interesting. I'm just saying that you can't make your way through life punching 60 year old art critics because they were rude and insulting to your work, or for that matter chucking little kids into the ocean because they said something rude.

Well, you can. You just won't make very many friends and may end up in prison.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I found that the physical comedy bits to be at odds with the tone of the rest of the show, but hopefully it will tone down as the protagonist is getting used to his new neighbors.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

Rexides posted:

I found that the physical comedy bits to be at odds with the tone of the rest of the show, but hopefully it will tone down as the protagonist is getting used to his new neighbors.
Very minor spoiler, but if the manga is any indication It dies down very quickly in the manga, there's a lot more focus on day to day life with the Villagers

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Such a heartwarming first episode. :3: I remember reading some of the manga a long time ago, and I have to say the animated version is so much better. For me it's kinda like Chihayafuru in that aspect.

The opening and ending songs own by the way.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Nondevor posted:

The opening and ending songs own by the way.

Something about the opening reminds me of the song from 5 cm per Second. The ending doesn't remind me of anything but it's nice.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Second episode aired. Naru is still the best character.

korrandark fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 12, 2014

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Naru continues to be the show's MVP with some promising first showings from newcomers "Village Chief's wife" and "Nurse"

Also, for whatever reason the art style really struck me as kinda neat in this episode. I guess because there's so many more characters and they're all pretty distinct at a glance, which is sadly not as common a thing as it should be.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

So is there still no way to watch this in America without using :filez:?

Funimation what the hell

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gils posted:

So is there still no way to watch this in America without using :filez:?

Funimation what the hell

Nope, Funimation is apparently just going to be way behind on this for some reason. No idea why, given that Crunchyroll has been streaming it to other regions without any issue from what I can tell.

Must be some sort of contractual issue :iiam:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Check your privilege, Americans. It's not often that being in the UK is actually a benefit for accessing animes!

Watched both episodes earlier today. Having an actual 7yr old voice the kid makes a huge difference, I think. The performance is way more natural than an adult trying to sound like a kid. I'd like to see some edutainment segments that focus on calligraphy too.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
I was worried that episode 2 might not be as good but nope it's still drat great. So many new characters squeezed into one episode.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

bubblegumbo0 posted:

I was worried that episode 2 might not be as good but nope it's still drat great. So many new characters squeezed into one episode.

Yeah, my only concern with this show was that it might not hold up over 12 episodes but after the second episode it's looking golden.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

I'm sorry.

I'm actually not sorry at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Mikl posted:

I'm sorry.

I'm actually not sorry at all

Junon Boy No Terror
this owns