Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

linall posted:

The best dream.

Also hundred punch mama really made the home scenes for me.

This season had some of the best mothers (Psycho Mother from Majimoji being the other one I can immediately point to)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Xelkelvos posted:

This season had some of the best mothers (Psycho Mother from Majimoji being the other one I can immediately point to)

Mommoka from Sabage-bu.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dan7el posted:

I agree this show was terrific, but I have a hard time seeing how they could do another season. The show was more of a "coming of age" for a reclusive, spoiled, adult. He not only got his poo poo together by going to island, but he became more confident as an artist and began to find his own style.

While I think having his mom visit the island would be terrific, and I was really hoping she'd go with him this episode, I don't know if we could get a full season out of it. The only possible thing they could do for our main character would be to have him become romantically involved with someone.

I think they could get a lot of mileage out of Kōsuke Kanzaki being jealous of any romantic relationship Seishū Handa might have.

I don't see any reason they can't just have more random hijinks. They hammered home pretty well that while he's found his new direction, he still has a far way to go.

You're right that Handa's story is sorta tapped out for pathos, but Naru's sure as hell isn't. They were really heavily implying towards the end there that there's a really sad story there with her - she's not just a wild child because "haha fun, she frolics all over where e'er she likes!" but also because she's an orphan and she doesn't really have any proper caretaker, and she really desperately needs one.

Once I started looking at it that way, a huge amount of story elements took on so much more weight. How happy Naru was when she had the "Handa has to take care of me whenever I want" ticket, for instance, took on a lot more meaning. Just simply having an adult that cares about her that can take her to a festival meant so much to her, way more to her than Handa realized.

The next step, then, would be for Handa to start to realize all of that, and maybe step up and start to take that role for her even more. That could be an amazing story.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 29, 2014

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

I didn't think this show could get any better. Thanks for that! :)

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

XboxPants posted:

You're right that Handa's story is sorta tapped out for pathos, but Naru's sure as hell isn't. They were really heavily implying towards the end there that there's a really sad story there with her - she's not just a wild child because "haha fun, she frolics all over where e'er she likes!" but also because she's an orphan and she doesn't really have any proper caretaker, and she really desperately needs one.

Once I started looking at it that way, a huge amount of story elements took on so much more weight. How happy Naru was when she had the "Handa has to take care of me whenever I want" ticket, for instance, took on a lot more meaning. Just simply having an adult that cares about her that can take her to a festival meant so much to her, way more to her than Handa realized.

This can be the Yotsubato! anime we will never get.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
ORA ORA ORA Mom is pretty cool.

Thank you show, you were a good 'un. Don't know what more you could do in another season but I know it'll be great.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Here's n'thing the hope for a second season. The manga has been going for 9 volumes so far and I don't know how this season has translated in terms of how many of those its covered, but it seems like there's still more story to be told, even if it's all just adventures with previously unmentioned village residents.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I had the biggest, goofiest smile on my face during the phone call.

This was the most heartwarming of shows... :allears:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I blew through this in a couple of days and it was the best thing I've watched since Nichijou. The only bad part is that I'm really drat sad it's over. Ordered all the manga. Great stuff. Nthing the sentiment that using actual children for the kids was amazing.

oilatsnep
Sep 5, 2011

Just marathoned this last night. What a rollercoaster! I couldn't stop watching.. Fingers crossed for a second season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

I blew through this in a couple of days and it was the best thing I've watched since Nichijou. The only bad part is that I'm really drat sad it's over. Ordered all the manga. Great stuff. Nthing the sentiment that using actual children for the kids was amazing.

What might be troublesome is any vocal changes due to adding that might pop up between now and S2

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Xelkelvos posted:

What might be troublesome is any vocal changes due to adding that might pop up between now and S2

Yeah, that's what bums me out. All the kid voice actors were amazing and it just wouldn't be the same without them.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
Barakamon is my favourite anime this summer and definitely hope for a second season.

Going by MyAnimelist the children are 9 - 10 years old. When do children voice change again?

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Dervyn posted:

Barakamon is my favourite anime this summer and definitely hope for a second season.

Going by MyAnimelist the children are 9 - 10 years old. When do children voice change again?

Anywhere between like 12 and 15 I think, though obviously there are exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

• Locked thread