Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Sindai posted:

I thought her voice sounded pretty different from the usual voice actress going super-high.

Yeah, I noticed that too...

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

IIRC all the child characters have child VAs in this.

That makes sense and it's extremely noticeable. It's a huge highpoint of this show so far and it goes a really long way towards making Naru's character work and be adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dan7el posted:

I agree this show was terrific, but I have a hard time seeing how they could do another season. The show was more of a "coming of age" for a reclusive, spoiled, adult. He not only got his poo poo together by going to island, but he became more confident as an artist and began to find his own style.

While I think having his mom visit the island would be terrific, and I was really hoping she'd go with him this episode, I don't know if we could get a full season out of it. The only possible thing they could do for our main character would be to have him become romantically involved with someone.

I think they could get a lot of mileage out of Kōsuke Kanzaki being jealous of any romantic relationship Seishū Handa might have.

I don't see any reason they can't just have more random hijinks. They hammered home pretty well that while he's found his new direction, he still has a far way to go.

You're right that Handa's story is sorta tapped out for pathos, but Naru's sure as hell isn't. They were really heavily implying towards the end there that there's a really sad story there with her - she's not just a wild child because "haha fun, she frolics all over where e'er she likes!" but also because she's an orphan and she doesn't really have any proper caretaker, and she really desperately needs one.

Once I started looking at it that way, a huge amount of story elements took on so much more weight. How happy Naru was when she had the "Handa has to take care of me whenever I want" ticket, for instance, took on a lot more meaning. Just simply having an adult that cares about her that can take her to a festival meant so much to her, way more to her than Handa realized.

The next step, then, would be for Handa to start to realize all of that, and maybe step up and start to take that role for her even more. That could be an amazing story.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 29, 2014

• Locked thread