Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Lloyd Boner posted:

Man imagine if we had Edgar vs Faber instead of that poo poo

Edgar vs. Faber or $Mendes are way better fights so I expect the UFC not to make either one.

Though maybe we can get Frankie to headline 176?

Miching Mallecho posted:

BJ's coaches thought he generates more power from that upright stance. :psyduck:

BJ's coaches are dumb shits and have been since forever. It's just that until Frankie showed up it kind of didn't matter. iirc he straight up ignored their corner advice in the Sanchez and Florian fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Lloyd Boner posted:

Man imagine if we had Edgar vs Faber instead of that poo poo

Yup. UFC matchmaking sure is quantity over quality lately

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

1st AD posted:

Though maybe we can get Frankie to headline 176?

frankie vs jens pulver

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
Chael Sonnen
Wanderlei Silva
Stefan Struve
BJ Penn

We're one Evan Tanner death in the desert away from a complete set of sad career endings this weekend.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ty1990 posted:

So I had to watch BJ die and Frankie's awesome performance probably won't even get talked about because he beat up an old guy. I also doubt it does much for him as far as moving closer to a title shot. Pretty stupid fight. And it's not hindsight either, I recall the overwhelming reaction to this fight when it was announced was "lol what?"

I mean I expected an Edgar win when it was announced, but I didn't expect...whatever this depressing show could possibly be called.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

tesilential posted:

Remember their first fight? Everyone was shocked that Frankie was able to take him down at all, which hadn't happened at LW since the first Pulver fight. Even then Frankie still just got like 2 quick takedowns the whole fight and BJ got right up. In the rematch Frankie was able to get a bunch of takedowns, but didn't really hold BJ down at will. When BJ got takedown down tonight he wasn't able to get up or do anything at all.

That was 51 months ago, drat time flies

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

mkay0 posted:

To be fair they did offer Faber to coach TUF against Frankie first but they wanted it at 145 and Urijah turned it down. Then a few days later Penn called Dana and they put it together.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
That was like a Viking funeral except the one Viking was old and had Alzheimer's and it was just sad rather than awesome

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

he is literally one win or one injury away from a rematch at all times.

Right. But does a win over BJ Penn's corpse really *help* him at all? I guess I'm saying that there was pretty much zero chance BJ was going to win this fight, and the reward was so minimal for Frankie against the risk, that it was a very dumb and pointless fight to make.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Well that sucked rear end lmao loving BJ what was he even doing in there

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I feel like this fight was Bj's equivalent of Howard Hughes building the Spruce Goose. Had a bunch of crazy ideas and no one told him they were wrong.

surrounding himself with Yes-men and not having training partners to push him have always been Bj's biggest problems. That wasn't so bad when there weren't a lot of great camps or coaches, but now he looks ridiculous.

Inertiatic
Apr 9, 2004
Yeah, except the Spruce Goose flew.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Ty1990 posted:

Right. But does a win over BJ Penn's corpse really *help* him at all? I guess I'm saying that there was pretty much zero chance BJ was going to win this fight, and the reward was so minimal for Frankie against the risk, that it was a very dumb and pointless fight to make.

i'm not arguing that that fight helped anyone ever. it's just that there was a glut of challengers at 145 and taking edgar out of the picture for a while hasn't helped the blockage, so situation: no change

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Alright BJ, this fight we want your entire offense to be built around up kicks

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Xguard86 posted:

I feel like this fight was Bj's equivalent of Howard Hughes building the Spruce Goose. Had a bunch of crazy ideas and no one told him they were wrong.

surrounding himself with Yes-men and not having training partners to push him have always been Bj's biggest problems. That wasn't so bad when there weren't a lot of great camps or coaches, but now he looks ridiculous.

BJ with his coaches

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Alright BJ, this fight we want your entire offense to be built around up kicks

Hey it hurt Edgar in his fight vs that henderson guy so it seemed to make sense to center his entire strategy around lying on his back like a crab and flailing his feet.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Derrick Lewis emerged as the star of this show

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
How long is Aldo's injury gonna put him out? Might as well do an interim title with Mendes vs anybody at this point. I'd be down for Frankie or Cub getting that fight.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

BLACK BEAST

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
well I'm done with mma, it was cool while it lasted i guess

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

ChampRamp posted:

Derrick Lewis emerged as the star of this show

The Black Beast, The New Breed

Also I know BJ Penn was a ghost but I thought Edgar looked very good out there. He may have also looked very good against a stuffed trash bag, but Edgar was keeping great defense in spite of BJ's lack of offense.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Meowbot posted:

Hey it hurt Edgar in his fight vs that henderson guy so it seemed to make sense to center his entire strategy around lying on his back like a crab and flailing his feet.

I am terrified this was actually their logic.

1) Stand up super tall so he cant reach your head and bait the takedown

2)When you go down, upkick KO!

what can possibly go wrong!

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

1st AD posted:

How long is Aldo's injury gonna put him out? Might as well do an interim title with Mendes vs anybody at this point. I'd be down for Frankie or Cub getting that fight.

Yeah this is what I was wondering when you floating Mendes vs Edgar at 176 a few posts ago. If Aldo is only going to be out for less than 6 months it might be better to delay the Mendes title defense because you never know what could happen to the contenders.

In a perfect world we'd get Swanson vs Aldo and Mendes vs Edgar but I think it's more realistic that Edgar sits out until they get him somebody like McGregor or Guida or some such. I don't think UFC wants to push Frankie to the title so quickly again.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
BJ Penn would lose a fight to Bully Bob.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

Wasn't BJ hooking up with Aldo, Barao and Pederneiras the whole point of this fight?

Also putting together some combination of Mendes, Swanson, Edgar and maybe Faber so as to cut down on the number of inevitable Aldo rematches has made sense for at least a year and a half or so now and just continues getting more and more obvious so here's hoping

Decades fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 7, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Decades posted:

Wasn't BJ hooking up with Aldo, Barao and Pederneiras the whole point of this fight?

I know he was hanging with them a while back for a while but I haven't kept up enough to know if he was training with them for this fight.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

mkay0 posted:

If it were quantity over quality they wouldnt have kept Edgar on the shelf for a year trying to build up this fight

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

BJ should have had a panic attack

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Edgar v Aldo is awesome but I dont really ever want to see tonights fight so Im glad I worked late

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

parthenocarpy posted:

BJ should have had a panic attack

Honestly during his walkout I wondered if he didn't have a mild freakout backstage or something. Pretty clear he knew he was cooked from the very beginning.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

BJ's plan with the stance was being as Frankie is faster than him and counterpunching is supposed to be BJ's game, by standing taller he gave himself more room to move and generate power and thus would have more space to counter Frankie as he came in with his punches.

In practice this was of course a loving stupidass plan because that bit of space wasn't near enough to change how much faster and better Frankie is with his hands/kicks/takedowns/literally everything, but literally everything about taking this fight/unretiring at all was stupid.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bundt Cake posted:

Edgar v Aldo is awesome but I dont really ever want to see tonights fight so Im glad I worked late

it was worse than you could imagine. For a card with a bunch of 4-0 TUF guys on it BJ Penn looked the least competent out there.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

CarlCX posted:

BJ's plan with the stance was being as Frankie is faster than him and counterpunching is supposed to be BJ's game, by standing taller he gave himself more room to move and generate power and thus would have more space to counter Frankie as he came in with his punches.

In practice this was of course a loving stupidass plan because that bit of space wasn't near enough to change how much faster and better Frankie is with his hands/kicks/takedowns/literally everything, but literally everything about taking this fight/unretiring at all was stupid.

i actually think it weirdly helps bjs legacy by showing that he was probably a featherweight by the standards of now

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Bubba Smith posted:

it was worse than you could imagine. For a card with a bunch of 4-0 TUF guys on it BJ Penn looked the least competent out there.

:(

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Any idea what is going on with the post press conference? It should have started 26 minutes ago and just says "starting soon" on youtube.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Bubba Smith posted:

In fairness to BJ, the TUF guys were fighting TUF guys and BJ was fighting Frankie loving Edgar.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Meowbot posted:

Any idea what is going on with the post press conference? It should have started 26 minutes ago and just says "starting soon" on youtube.

Dana is currently being interviewed by Ariel on TV. They are waiting for all the people to be where they need to be.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

CarlCX posted:

In fairness to BJ, the TUF guys were fighting TUF guys and BJ was fighting Frankie loving Edgar.

Very true! And a good Frankie Edgar. Accurate as ever and even better on the ground. drat I'd love to see that version of Edgar have Aldo on his back.

Meowbot posted:

Just started. Dana sounds down, but he's probably just tired from the looooong weekend.

Roman Herbom
Aug 2, 2006
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't
Gate: 531,000
Attendance: 6,500
FOTN: Issa-Tuexrun
POTN: Issa
POTN: Martins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

To 1st AD: Dana just said that Aldo is only supposed to be out 45 days. Mendes vs Aldo II will still go down.

• Locked thread