Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Problem description: The backlight on my HP DM1Z does not evenly light up the screen, along the bottom edge there are alternating bright and dark spots. I am not sure what type of backlight my laptop uses, however simply by the way the problem appears, I assume it using edge-lit LED backlighting and half the LEDs are not working.

The severity of the problem varies with the angle of the hinge, or with pressure on certain parts of the screen. For example, sometimes pressure on the lower right area of the screen changes the problem, for this picture set I applied pressure to the HP logo at the bottom center of the lid and that caused the change in the severity of the problem.

Attempted fixes: Nothing besides messing with the hinge angle.

Recent changes: I believe the problem started after a flight, when my laptop was in a carry on bag. The laptop might have somehow been crushed a little during my run through the airport, but I believe that is unlikely since I try to take good care of my carry on luggage. I think this problem simply occured due to normal wear and tear.

Operating system: Xubuntu 14.04, I can switch the hard-drive to the original Windows 7 Home Premium and it makes no difference.

System specs: HP-DM1Z, which I am currently posting from. I will have to turn off the laptop, and remove the battery to try to find a more specific model number if necessary.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I'm quite certain the fix for this is to tear apart the lid of my laptop and replace something but I just want to get an opinion of what part I should order to attempt to fix this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Finally tore into this, turns out it is indeed a LED edge-lit screen like I suspected, and the backlight and screen are one piece sold together. Just ordered a replacement from amazon for $29 + $9 shipping.

• Locked thread