Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Big Boss Inaho

This was pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CuLT posted:

What a boring cop out of a second season. At least it was a well produced and directed one. Script writer was clearly out of his depth.

Well, it's not like this was a surprise. After the *loving giant* cop out in the first S2 episode, where both characters that were most certainly dead suddenly weren't you knew that the show was effectively screwed. They were going in an interesting direction, they set up everything pretty well, but *whoops* we need to actually make money so let's back-pedal and try to fix this poo poo on the fly.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
It smells like they're leaving things open for a movie.

Someone posted a screenshot of a supposed countdown timer on the official website, but I haven't been able to find it myself.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Cake Attack posted:

autist fights super robots in a generic mech was fun for a while in season 1 and slaine playing the game of space thrones was fun for a while in season 2 but overall it was a whole lot of nothing

Pretty much this. I still don't really understand Slaine's motivations at all, the decisions he made are all nonsensical as gently caress. When Inaho and the humans were underdogs you had something to root for, and it was interesting to see how he would cobble a way out of the situation. With Eyenaho all the tension evaporated.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Well that was entertaining enough, but looking back the second season added nothing of value. I suppose Slayne's arc shouldn't have ended at the end of S1 but all in all I'd look back on it much more fondly if the show had ended after S1.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Razzled posted:

Whaaat? I thought that was a great episode, and imo the entire series has been good even if it deviated a bit from what it was originally like (s1).

Also ha ha Asseylum made a better Relena Peacecraft than Relena herself.

The fights in this episode were awesome, I think my favorite thing about the fights in this show are that the trump cards are never used like AHA YOUVE ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD. When Inaho needed a ballistic shield while reeling in the Tharsis, he didnt spend 30 minutes talking about how he got upgrades and poo poo, he just did it. When his blades broke he didn't waste time acting surprised or springing an "aha" moment on Slaine, he just pulled out more. The whole thing felt very fluid and organic, pretty cool episode.

Dude that episode was a pacing and editing trainwreck. And not even in an Aldnoah/Zero hilarious trainwreck way. One individual section of fightning doesn't save the whole thing when the parts could barely transition and mesh with themselves.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I guess my standards are really low. :v:

I don't really care about any of that stuff you just said, I just go by whether or not I was able to watch the show without loving around on websites or my phone while it's playing

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
They really just needed more time. I think in general, super ambitious political-robot shows tend to have overreach after a strong first season that sets up too much for the writers to handle. Everything got wrapped up with a neat little bow, and you can see how they got there, but it feels like we needed more time and development for the writer's ambitions. We had some excellent shots of Slaine's modest office, and him mixing with the grunts just like Saazbaum. But we needed more time to portray Slaine's rise and fall and getting Zero Requiem'd.

There's room for more seasons because as much as they try to show everything's now peachy, the seeds of conflict still exist. But I think the story and setting is tapped out, no one wants to revisit this further with Earthfed invading Mars as retribution.

Maybe the next ambitious political-robot show can do better.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AnacondaHL posted:

Dude that episode was a pacing and editing trainwreck. And not even in an Aldnoah/Zero hilarious trainwreck way. One individual section of fightning doesn't save the whole thing when the parts could barely transition and mesh with themselves.

With the way the episode was paced and edited, it felt like the final battle was animated many months ago, and they just padded a little bit of story around the remaining time.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

Maybe the next ambitious political-robot show can do better.

You seem to share my relentless optimism/naivety. Condolences.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Well, at least Inaho made Slaine cry at the end.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I don't understand how episode 23 Slaine ends up doing what he does in episode 24.

"Keep on Keeping on" was not played nearly enough this season.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Razzled posted:

Also ha ha Asseylum made a better Relena Peacecraft than Relena herself.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Great episode, good ending.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just watched all of S2 yesterday to catch up for the finale today and man this entire season was a giant turd. The writer(s?) really bent over backwards to villainize Slaine and Light Novel Protagonist Inaho basically trivialized all of the fighting scenes. Also none of the Earth people got any real development either.

What a stinker this turned out to be.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I thought the second season was a fun ride without any depth at all. Slaine still manages to gently caress up everything, and the show gives him way too much credit.

The last episode should have had more action. They could have made a better show in general if they just put in more action and less Slaine. The plot was serviceable as a framework for robot fights but I feel they gave it too much attention.

The new Cruhteo kid seems really out of place. Nothing he did couldn't have been done in a different fashion by Mazuurek, who was already a (somewhat) established character. Though it's obvious it was a marriage for political reasons he still comes out of nowhere and barely has any scenes to establish himself.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Cruhteo 2.0 is literally a gallant prince riding in to save the princess in the nick of time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There is still one giant unresolved plot point - the Aldnoah civilisation. I suspect Season Three will go all A Wakening of the Trailblazer on us.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Forgot I made a dumb image last week but turns out they animated it anyway.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah that was certainly an ending that fit the rest of the second season.

What's funny is that the first season finale actually kind of worked as a finale for the series as a whole (Inaho almost had a character arc, even!), but then the second season really didn't bring much too the table. Oh well.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

After the second interplanetary war between Vers and Earth, mankind's greatest solider, Inaho Kaizuka was lost. His friends and sister had all retired from military service happily, the love of his life was married and had all but forgotten about him, and the fires that had forged him into something more than a man, and given him purpose, had been extinguished. Even Slaine Troyard, his Machiavellian rival, was gone - unable to muster the motivation for a game of chess.

Inaho noted, however, the loyalty that Slaine's comrades had shown him to the bitter end. They knew the conflict was over, and they chose to die, over a life without war. They deserved better, but at the same time Inaho envied them. Slaine and Inaho had both survived, but what purpose would they have now? They had needed, and had been needed by, the war. What if, Inaho wondered, the Moon Base hadn't been loyal to Vers (or the UFE, or anyone) - it was simply available to the highest bidder? Any conflict, at any scale. Slaine's loyal soldiers would have always had their comradeship, they would have always had a purpose. A place where they were valued. The idea excited Inaho.

A place for the soldiers who always wanted to fight. They would forsake their countries. Leave their motherlands behind and become one with this world. Have no nation, no philosophy, no ideology. Go where they were needed, not fighting for government, not for planet, but for themselves. Become soldiers without borders, their purpose defined by the era they lived in. If the times demanded it, be terrorists, revolutionaries, criminals. And yes, maybe they would all be headed straight for hell. But what better place than this? Their only home. Their heaven and their hell.

This is Outer Heaven. This is Aldnoah.Zero 3rd Season.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

THEY TOOK HALF MY NUTS AND BERRIES AND RIDDLED, "WHO'S COUNTING?"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well, that was an ending.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Its like when they started the show they didn't know where they'd be going so they gave themselves all these possible threads. There was Rayet, the PTSD soldier, a class of kids forced by circumstance to become soldiers, villain of the week baddie robots in every cap city of the world, the mystery of Aldnoah, etc etc. And the first season really seemed to try and follow up these different ideas and plot points (with varying success). The second season was just constant skirmishes in space, Inaho solving every problem with his robo logic, Slaine doing a little politicking and that was about it. Just such a 'whatever' show.

Also:

"Please save Slaine from his chains of misery." *puts Slaine in literal chains to live in misery*

Hocus Pocus fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 29, 2015

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I enjoyed the first season, but yeah. This was a turd. All of the side characters always seemed like they were going to get development but never did (remember that whole Inko is suspicious of Inaho plotline? Neither did the writers after a bit). The main story felt like it could have been told in 2-3 episodes but they just stretched it into 12.

Better luck next time I guess.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

At least they built a goddamn Aldnoah reactor.

"Hmm we have unlimited alien tech that is basically a genie that does whatever we want."

"Giant robots."

"What about food fabricators or unlimited energy for all of Mars?"

"gently caress you, giant robots."

That being said, that episode was stupid as hell. It was so stupid I actually kind of enjoyed it, but only because it was bad.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yikes. The mecha fighting was pretty, but everything else was pretty embarrassing. The ultimate resolution to the series-long love triangle is a random dude with absolutely no characterization who showed up two episodes from the end swooping in and marrying the princess? The ultimate resolution of the Earth-Mars conflict is the princess doing the exact same thing she tried to do at the beginning and at the halfway point except this time it sticks? The ultimate resolution of Fake Princess is Lemrina being pretty much written out of the story in the space of one scene, to the point where they couldn't spare a single shot in the epilogue to show her wistfully gazing at the sky or something? There was no way it was going to have a good ending, but the show really needed one more episode so they could pack all the pretty battle CG they worked so hard on into this one and still have room for a half-coherent epilogue.

They should have never gotten rid of Saazbaum. He was the most competent Martian, was entertaining to watch in action, and at least had a coherent goal that would push him to act as the ultimate antagonist. Slaine managed to cap off one of the most impressive streaks of incompetence in anime history by ultimately failing at even being a compelling villain.

Hocus Pocus posted:

"Please save Slaine from his chains of misery." *puts Slaine in literal chains to live in misery*

This was the most hilarious thing in the episode. The epilogue implies that the general public is under the assumption that Slaine is an insane war criminal ultimately responsible for everything and is also dead, so I guess the plan for him is to rot away in an empty transparent cube prison cell for the rest of his life, since he's most definitely not going to be getting a trial. I was laughing my rear end off at Inaho staring blankly at Slaine sobbing his eyes out. I'm pretty sure they intended it to be Slaine realizing the depths of how much Asseylum cared for him after all or something trite like that, but it truly comes off like Slaine realizing that all of his hopes and dreams have come to nothing and instead of at least dying in a futile last stand he's going to rot in prison for eternity stewing over what he'll never have. That entire scene was basically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tFDsL_mwBY. All it was missing was Inaho doing Nelson's "Ha-HA" laugh once Slaine broke into tears.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
They literally had to write a character into the show at the eleventh hour to get themselves out of the corner they'd written into.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm with Razzled in agreement that the last fight was fun and absent of a lot of shonen drudgery. I think a third season would've be sufficient for the show to spread its legs and reach a more satisfying conclusion.

Season 2 should've been Slaine's rise to power and then a third season to do something about it before it comes crashing down; though some things were implicit to me; like how Slaine's power was on very shakey ground and just needed something to cause it all to collapse which is why "it sticks" this time and also because now the Counts are probably fairly exhausted in trying to take on an Earth that just won't quit.

Slaine being kept in a glass cell and treated appropriately like a dangerous war criminal I liked, pushes all the right buttons for me.

So the Emperor did in fact pass away in that scene with Asseylem and there is still Martians on well, Mars? That's where the kid came from right and the Landing Castles can travel the distance? That's neat.

I'll be happy if they do continue it but yeah, this really needed more space.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm with Razzled in agreement that the last fight was fun and absent of a lot of shonen drudgery. I think a third season would've be sufficient for the show to spread its legs and reach a more satisfying conclusion.

Season 2 should've been Slaine's rise to power and then a third season to do something about it before it comes crashing down; though some things were implicit to me; like how Slaine's power was on very shakey ground and just needed something to cause it all to collapse which is why "it sticks" this time and also because now the Counts are probably fairly exhausted in trying to take on an Earth that just won't quit.

Slaine being kept in a glass cell and treated appropriately like a dangerous war criminal I liked, pushes all the right buttons for me.

So the Emperor did in fact pass away in that scene with Asseylem and there is still Martians on well, Mars? That's where the kid came from right and the Landing Castles can travel the distance? That's neat.

I'll be happy if they do continue it but yeah, this really needed more space.

There's a countdown on the official website. A movie or third season is expected to be announced. I suspect that Cruhteo Junior is not long for this world, for a start, and we'll dig more into the Aldnoah civilisation.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I agree with pretty much everything said about the second season. Especially this:

Desuwa posted:

The last episode should have had more action. They could have made a better show in general if they just put in more action and less Slaine. The plot was serviceable as a framework for robot fights but I feel they gave it too much attention.
The plot and character motivations cannot withstand the slightest bit of scrutiny, but drat were the robot fights fun. It is a testament to Sawano Hiroyuki that you stop questioning the nonsense whenever the "I say crying" or "who-o-oa who-o-oa" parts of aLIEz drop during a fight. That is such an awesome song, and there is no doubt I would not have kept watching s2 without the great soundtrack.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

There's a countdown on the official website. A movie or third season is expected to be announced. I suspect that Cruhteo Junior is not long for this world, for a start, and we'll dig more into the Aldnoah civilisation.

Likely, they'll follow the standard pattern of two movies, the first a compilation, the second something new.

A non-compilation movie will be a boring, uninspired pos with Inaho and Slaine teaming up to save Asseylum from something (my guess: disgruntled Orbital Knights who have discovered the true power of Aldnoah) and learning ~the power of friendship~. I have no confidence in the writers of this show producing anything of value with this setting and these characters.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think that the only thing stopping me from being furious at this ending is knowing that I had no right to expect anything better.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Likely, they'll follow the standard pattern of two movies, the first a compilation, the second something new.

A non-compilation movie will be a boring, uninspired pos with Inaho and Slaine teaming up to save Asseylum from something (my guess: disgruntled Orbital Knights who have discovered the true power of Aldnoah) and learning ~the power of friendship~. I have no confidence in the writers of this show producing anything of value with this setting and these characters.

I'm hoping for anti-Mars terrorists trying to blow up the Aldnoah reactor. That'll give Rayet a reason to have some character development at least.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Kanos posted:

The ultimate resolution of Fake Princess is Lemrina being pretty much written out of the story in the space of one scene, to the point where they couldn't spare a single shot in the epilogue to show her wistfully gazing at the sky or something?

I was wondering where Lemrina was at in the epilogue. I think that's supposed to be her in the hospital with the doctor guy at 17:21. I don't know why they had to be all mysterious and not show who it actually was.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Kanos posted:

The ultimate resolution to the series-long love triangle is a random dude with absolutely no characterization who showed up two episodes from the end swooping in and marrying the princess?

I was definitely most surprised that they didn't have her cut that marriage to get into a political marriage with a Terran as a show of good will, whether it was Inaho or not.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno about you guys but I for one am looking forward to Aldnoah/Zero: Prince of Darkness.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

I dunno about you guys but I for one am looking forward to Aldnoah/Zero: Prince of Darkness.

But not without a Japan-only game that will cover the timeskip. Also, teen Edelrittuo will be the MC.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Man after all these posts do I even want to watch this ep? Sounds like a let down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Man after all these posts do I even want to watch this ep? Sounds like a let down.

There were some pretty good robot fights.

• Locked thread