Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
like, why do all poor people have several cats? is it because cats embrace the hobo lifestyle or because they ward off evil spirits or some poo poo? regardless they're a giant money pit and poor people shouldn't have things that make them happy and they definitely don't deserve anything to be proud of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

cats are sexy animals OP, its probably to do witht hat

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
1) cheaper to own than dogs

2) crippling depression typically coexistent with poverty somewhat offset by animal friends

3) actually most rich people I know have a shitload of cats (ok in all fairness they are bred and expensive as gently caress but still)

4) stray cats are more common than stray dogs (due to stray cats having better survival skills than stray dogs); also go into any Petco and there's like 40 cats up for adoption for every 1 dog

I hope this sociology report has been helpful, OP

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 8, 2014

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Sounds like we should be feeding cats to the poor, since they're so numerous.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

A Bootleg GBA Cart posted:

4) stray cats are more common than stray dogs (due to stray cats having better survival skills than stray dogs); also go into any Petco and there's like 40 cats up for adoption for every 1 dog

I hope this sociology report has been helpful, OP

my humane society reported a live intake of 1681 dogs and 1719 cats in 2013, not that big of a difference. however, 90% of those dogs were released (adopted or returned to owner, generally) alive, and only 72% of those cats were released alive with almost 2.5x more cats euthanized than dogs, despite the fact that in general, cats take up less room and food and energy to house.

makes ya think

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Killing animals that have been domesticated for thousnads of years (dogs, cats) for 8 lbs of food is hosed up imho

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

dongsbot 9000 posted:

my humane society reported a live intake of 1681 dogs and 1719 cats in 2013, not that big of a difference. however, 90% of those dogs were released (adopted or returned to owner, generally) alive, and only 72% of those cats were released alive with almost 2.5x more cats euthanized than dogs, despite the fact that in general, cats take up less room and food and energy to house.

makes ya think

animal shelter I volunteer at is way the gently caress filled with cats; some dogs but mostly cats. I think most stray dogs are lost or owners dumped them; most stray cats have kittens that are stray and the circle continues. you don't hear of many people doing "catch, neuter/spay and release" on dogs

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Poor people, especially kids in college or kids out of college (see girls on Tumblr) like cats because you don't have to put an iota of effort into taking care of them like you would a dog or another pet, the combination of that and fetishistic obsession with cats on the internet these days have made them a darling and treasured object, but not really a pet.
Most of these people like to look at their cats and go "Aww, cute." but any actual companionship is shallow because the cat is just a cute object to them rather than a companion.

ASSASSINS!
Jan 2, 2009
actually, urban poors prefer dogs like pit bulls to cats.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
why are rich so obsessed with money?

aeternum
Sep 3, 2003

because dogs are loving stupid

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

aeternum posted:

because dogs are loving stupid

and this

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ASSASSINS! posted:

actually, urban poors prefer dogs like pit bulls to cats.

Kidsolo
Dec 4, 2006

Give the dog a bone

a bone to pick posted:

like, why do all poor people have several cats?

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Because they catch mice for dinner

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Seems like I always see a really lovely house with a huge satellite dish and a really nice fancy cat in the driveway and I'm like.... Wtf!!?

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

dogs are awesome and cats poo poo in the house. "lol im poor and love to smell poo poo all day thanks cat"

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Luvcow posted:

Seems like I always see a really lovely house with a huge satellite dish and a really nice fancy cat in the driveway and I'm like.... Wtf!!?

I bet my tax dollars paid for that cat.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Meow meow ain't got no money meow.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
cats will f your s up op

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's their emergency dinner plan OP

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
fyi we aren't poors and have cats because we travel a lot and they are easy to take care of without boarding

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
middle to upper middle class people tend to work a lot and therefore prefer cats, because cats don't need nearly as much attention as dogs

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

cuz cats are free

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
My cat a nether god who summons portals and causes undead to rise.

my cat owns.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Design Spots posted:

my cat owns.

prtty cool cat

ASSASSINS!
Jan 2, 2009

Design Spots posted:

my cat owns.

can i pet him?

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW

ASSASSINS! posted:

can i pet him?

he also looks like a shrimp when he sleeps.

prawn cat ftw.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.
Poors's Guide to Cat Ownership:

1. buy cat food.
2. Put cat food out in bowl on porch. It's best to locate the bowl on the side of the porch-recliner opposite the coffee can full of water and cigarette butts.

You now own cat!

Bonus, if your neighbor has a garden, no litterbox is needed!

(Ask me about my white trash neighbors, and "their" unfixed male ginger named Boss that constantly fights other cats, raccoons, and people. His head looks like he's been sticking it in a blender, he's probably blind in one eye. Got both nuts, though!)

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

Poors's Guide to Cat Ownership:

1. buy cat food.
2. Put cat food out in bowl on porch.

You now own cat!

Bonus, if your neighbor has a garden, no litterbox is needed!

(Ask me about my white trash neighbors, and "their" unfixed male ginger named Boss that constantly fights other cats, raccoons, and people. His head looks like he's been sticking it in a blender, he's probably blind in one eye. Got both nuts, though!)

boss owns

naem
May 29, 2011

don't be jealous cause we gots mo pussy

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
my cat threw up a hair ball the size of my fist.

in my shoes.

owns

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I'm a white middle class male with a cat

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
most cats by design are demons though

just look at um for fucks sake

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Design Spots posted:

most cats by design are demons though

just look at um for fucks sake

ultimate hunters and killers, they can survive falling 12 stories and just one can deplete an entire island of wildlife

prrty scary if you think about it

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
Cat piss is the opiate of the masses.

naem
May 29, 2011

A misanthrope posted:

ultimate hunters and killers, they can survive falling 12 stories and just one can deplete an entire island of wildlife

prrty scary if you think about it

Sooooo fuzzy I WUv you mistar miffin muffinz!!!!!!!!!!

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

ShaqDiesel posted:

Toxic Plasmosis is the opiate of the masses.

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
when you have a cat that wakes you up by sitting on your head

you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it's that people with toxo are less able to function in society and people with more cats are more likely to have toxo

cats are the cause of poverty

• Locked thread