Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Yoshi's Island is a really good game that pretty much deserves all the hype that surrounds it. It's not a super hard game or anything but it is stupidly creative and isn't afraid to gently caress with you in the level design. Every stage feels like a less brutal take on the bonus world stages in Super Mario World, which were all the best levels in SMW anyway, so it's just stage after stage of really dope gimmicks. The only thing that's wrong with it is that sometimes you end up going through a door you can't return through which screws over your 100% attempt, and also the car is the only good transformation, with the mole tank being an enormous pain in the dick to control. Yoshi's floaty jump is also hard to manage, but the flutter jump makes up for it, plus if you stomp something in mid air your flutter goes super high which is great because it's a good reward for mercing some fuckin' shy guys.

Yoshi's Story is also a really good game but was marred by a bunch of people who don't know how to have fun playing a loving video game. No poo poo the game is super easy if you eat every fruit immediately, you're straight up skipping half of every level. I wouldn't wish an all-melon run on anyone because some of the minigames are brutal and running around in sniff mode for a whole stage playing hot/cold is boring as gently caress, but going out of your way to get as many melons as are reasonable in a stage is actually pretty challenging and shows off how good the level design is. I wouldn't say it's how the game should have been since as-is it basically lets you choose your difficulty on the fly and as a result is accessible to platformer newbies without detracting from people looking for a challenge (for real, some of those levels are tough if you get deep in them). It's also almost as pretty as Yoshi's Island but in an entirely different way, which is a hard thing to pull off. Basically it's really underrated, and super fun & chill to play, I know Island is our stylesheet but Story is a really Imp Zone game.

Yoshi Touch & Go was a mobile game before mobile games were really a thing, and would've benefited from being a 10 buck eshop download a few years in the future. It was a really neat concept that was just a little too undeveloped for a full-price title, but if I could play it now (god forbid on my phone) it'd be the perfect bathroom game. Yoshi's Island DS suffered from trying to live up to the standard set by Yoshi's Island, if it had gone off in a different direction like Story did and committed to the new things it introduced I feel like it would have been better received. It also has the whole Mario Galaxy 2 syndrome where it feels more like an extended level pack than a full release, while not having as good of levels as the original. I never played Yoshi Topsy-Turvy but Kirby Tilt'n'Tumble owned and Warioware: Twisted was the best Warioware, and games that get released quietly at the end of a system's lifespan are generally diamonds in the rough, so I can only assume it also owned.

Let's talk about these really good video games, Imp Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

yoshi was fun in super smash bros. because I would eat my friends over poo poo them out as an egg over a pit and they'd die

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

is yoshi's new island any good

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

is yoshi's new island any good

I forgot that game was even out but it looks ugly as heck, and Yoshi games are usually good in proportion to their graphics, so probably not. From what I heard it was basically the same case as Yoshi's Island DS, which is to say totally missing the point of everything that made the original so good. Kirby Triple Deluxe probably siphoned all the Good Second Tier Nintendo Game off of it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

djinn flyssa is that you

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I love yoshi

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Yoshi story destroyed my childhood wonder for gaming since my parents bought the preorder for me one Christmas, then it was delayed like 6 more months, and when it finally came out it took me like an hour to beat.

it's an ok game in retrospect but I will forever hate it for being not Yoshi's island 2

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
i don't know if i just sucked really really bad but i remember yoshi's island ds getting ridiculously hard in the later levels and stopped playing it

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

AHungryRobot posted:

i don't know if i just sucked really really bad but i remember yoshi's island ds getting ridiculously hard in the later levels and stopped playing it

that wasn't difficulty, that was wrestling with your attention span in the blandest game imaginable

edit: it takes actual effort for a game with baby wario to be bland

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85AB1p6wpaY

That said, yoshi's island original was great

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

AHungryRobot posted:

Some of the bonus levels actually were pretty dang hard

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for this, looks like I can spend the money I would've spent on this game on Luigi's Mansion 2 instead.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Petition to make Yoshi stop baby talking and go back to communicating entirely in weird donkey chirping noises like in the Super Nintendo games and Mario Kart 64

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Yoshi's Island is one of the best platformers of all time, has the best music and cemented the Shy-Guys as my favorite Mario enemy.

It also had the best Boo sprite

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

Petition to make Yoshi stop baby talking and go back to communicating entirely in weird donkey chirping noises like in the Super Nintendo games and Mario Kart 64

signed

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

It also had the best Boo sprite

Yoshi's Island's art is hilarious because it's one of the best-looking games on the SNES but would in all likelihood make early proponents of pixel art as a Thing outside games go insane. Early pixel art (and even some purists now) are obsessed with ultra-clean lines and perfect anti-aliasing and so on and so forth to the detriment of actually interesting art styles in spritework, so the intentionally painterly style Island uses, if presented by a hobby artist, would probably have gotten torn apart for not being "clean" enough.

Of course I could just be speculating totally wrong but thinking about gamers getting super mad about arbitrary poo poo is one of my little pleasures in life so w/e

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yoshi's cookie was a block-matching puzzle game. satisfactory.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Ralp posted:

yoshi's cookie was a block-matching puzzle game. satisfactory.

oh poo poo how did i forget motherloving YOCO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ZI6I56604

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

go back, even further than yoshi's cookies, to yoshi for the NES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-PgsCxgzjg

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Oil Can Boyd posted:

Oh shiiit I forgot about this one! Isn't this gameplay what eventually got turned into Wario's Woods, or is this the only game like it? I remember there being something on the Gameboy analogous to it, if not an outright remake.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Oil Can Boyd posted:

I didn't get a SNES until '95 so when I saw a Yoshi game for the NES I flipped my 7 year old poo poo

then it turned out to be an unexciting puzzler but I put on a brave face and convinced myself I loved it

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

JethroMcB posted:

I didn't get a SNES until '95 so when I saw a Yoshi game for the NES I flipped my 7 year old poo poo

then it turned out to be an unexciting puzzler but I put on a brave face and convinced myself I loved it

yeah basically the same exact thing happened to me, and gently caress did i ever get good at it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

Yoshi's Island's art is hilarious because it's one of the best-looking games on the SNES but would in all likelihood make early proponents of pixel art as a Thing outside games go insane. Early pixel art (and even some purists now) are obsessed with ultra-clean lines and perfect anti-aliasing and so on and so forth to the detriment of actually interesting art styles in spritework, so the intentionally painterly style Island uses, if presented by a hobby artist, would probably have gotten torn apart for not being "clean" enough.

Of course I could just be speculating totally wrong but thinking about gamers getting super mad about arbitrary poo poo is one of my little pleasures in life so w/e

a very good point

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

scalded schlong posted:

djinn flyssa is that you

bwatts
May 28, 2013

whats everyones favourite yoshi colour

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Bureaus Watts posted:

whats everyones favourite yoshi colour

if you dont say boshi youre a bitch

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Oil Can Boyd posted:

if you dont say boshi youre a bitch

Does it count as Boshi if I like the dark blue/purple Yoshi in Yoshi's Island that you play as on x-8? It's the real hero of the story since it beats up all the bosses that actually pose a threat.

Honorary shoutout to yellow Yoshi for putting up with the midbosses.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Yoshi's Island is a really good game and Kirby's Epic Yarn is the best Yoshi's Island sequel.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Seshoho Cian posted:

Yoshi's Island is a really good game and Kirby's Epic Yarn is the best Yoshi's Island sequel.

cant wait for yoshis wooly whatever its gonna loving own

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Mama? MAMA LUIGI??

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Heavy Lobster posted:

Thanks for this, looks like I can spend the money I would've spent on this game on Luigi's Mansion 2 instead.

luigi's mansion 2 is good

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Yoshi uses his SNES noises in New Super Mario U so who knows???

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

signed in blood

gently caress yoshi's island for this exact reason

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yoshi's Island is great I haven't met anyone who doesn't like it

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
True. Furthermore, yoshis story is a chill game and some times you just gotta play it, like Mario sunshine

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Cyra posted:

True. Furthermore, yoshis story is a chill game and some times you just gotta play it, like Mario sunshine

Hell yeah. Mario Sunshine is literally the perfect summer game. It's also a good gamer moral compass because if someone says they liked the levels without the Fludd more than the rest of the game you know that they hate being chill. Those levels sucked nards and if you prefer the high stress levels in the game that's literally lets you put sunglasses and a Hawaiian shirt on Mario when he vacations in a tropical loving island I dunno what to tell you.

e: Sunshine Yoshi is also a great Yoshi. It changes color and it does the extra music line thing AND its juice spitting noise is hilarious. Sunshine is a drat good game with a drat good Yoshi and this is not a coincidence.

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope

Heavy Lobster posted:

oh poo poo how did i forget motherloving YOCO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ZI6I56604

it's amazing to watch this and realize just how much farther the game can be and has been pushed. thank you to the GYCL for continuing to support esports

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Yoshi's story was a great game with great art, my only complaint was there wasn't enough of it. I still love replaying it sometimes.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
the best yoshi game is tetris attack everyone knows this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Dongslayer. posted:

the best yoshi game is tetris attack everyone knows this

• Locked thread